wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

There is a problem in creating the 80 GB partition on HDD since your (hd1) is only about 8 GB.
The boot problem of HDD is may be missing or wrong MBR bootcode.

I would like to see the partioning of your HDD as visible in LiveXP Disk management and
I need to see the MBR as shown by TinyHexer > File > Disk > Open drive ... > PHYSICALDRIVE 1
(when your HDD is visible in Disk Management as Disk 1 and your USB-stick is Disk 0)

TinyHexer can be launched from PStart menu of U_XP_SET

Please post both screenshots made with e.g. FSCapture (prg in LiveXP or as portable tool)

#302 krroga54

krroga54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

There is a problem in creating the 80 GB partition on HDD since your (hd1) is only about 8 GB.
The boot problem of HDD is may be missing or wrong MBR bootcode.

I would like to see the partioning of your HDD as visible in LiveXP Disk management and
I need to see the MBR as shown by TinyHexer > File > Disk > Open drive ... > PHYSICALDRIVE 1
(when your HDD is visible in Disk Management as Disk 1 and your USB-stick is Disk 0)

TinyHexer can be launched from PStart menu of U_XP_SET

Please post both screenshots made with e.g. FSCapture (prg in LiveXP or as portable tool)

Here are the screenshots after booting PC into LiveXP from USB stick; I used ScreenPrint; couldn't find FSCapture in LiveXP.

Booting this way gave HDD as Disk0 and USB stick as Disk1; which is not what you asked for; but I'm hoping will be of some help because I can't boot off the HDD; get blinking cursor.

Otherwise, I need to know how to reverse this designation.

Also, here is some more information about the PCs on which I've tried your method:-

Works OK on these 2 D530 PCs:-

HP D530 CMT(PB599A)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
System BIOS 786B2 v2.43
HDD 80GB Seagate ST380215A

HP D530 CMT(DG745A)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz
System BIOS 786B2 v2.43
HDD 40GB Western Digital WD400BB-00JHC0

Does not work on the following D530 PC:-

HP D530 CMT(DG745A)
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz
System BIOS 786B2 v2.43
HDD 80GB Western Digital WD800BB-63JKC0

Attached Files

#303 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Since you have TinyHexer handy, please download these Structure viewers:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8734
http://www.boot-land...?...c=8734&st=8

and post the screenshot (or just the data) coming from applying them to the MBR of the Hard disk.

jaclaz

#304 krroga54

krroga54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

Since you have TinyHexer handy, please download these Structure viewers:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=8734&st=8

and post the screenshot (or just the data) coming from applying them to the MBR of the Hard disk.

jaclaz

I've download and unpacked, to give the files:-

MBRview.mps and PTview.mps

I just need to know how to apply them to the MBR of the Hard Disk.

I've got LiveXP loaded and Hex Editor is ready.

#305 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

I just need to know how to apply them to the MBR of the Hard Disk.

They should be copied to the <whatever>\mirkes.de\Tiny Hexer\scripts\Structure Viewer directory.
When you start TinyHexer go to Tools->Structure Viewer and you shoud see them in the drop down list.
Or, if you cannot copy them there, go to Tools->Structure Viewer and click on the Icon representing a folder (Open) and navigate to and select one of them at the time.

jaclaz

#306 krroga54

krroga54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

They should be copied to the <whatever>\mirkes.de\Tiny Hexer\scripts\Structure Viewer directory.
When you start TinyHexer go to Tools->Structure Viewer and you shoud see them in the drop down list.
Or, if you cannot copy them there, go to Tools->Structure Viewer and click on the Icon representing a folder (Open) and navigate to and select one of them at the time.

jaclaz

I'm not seeing 'scripts' or 'Structure Viewer' in explore or Hex Editor in LiveXP; were should I be seeing them?

Attached Files

#307 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

I'm not seeing 'scripts' or 'Structure Viewer' in explore or Hex Editor in LiveXP; were should I be seeing them?

Well, that's again ;) my fault, I didn't thought that in LiveXp the "small edition" was used. ;)

Reference to editions:

using the "small edition" (possibly in order to save some 1.5 Mb in the size of the build) deprives the user of a number of useful features of TinyHexer, we might need to talk about this thing with the LiveXP developers/mantainers. :confused1:

We will do with the "RAW" data you already posted. ;)

ERRATA CORRIGE: you failed to show the actual interestng DATA, the screenshot are HALF the sector view.

Can you download HDhacker:
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/
and save both MBR (fist sector of PhysicalDrive) and bootsector (first sector of Logicaldrive), then compress all together in a .zip file and attach it to your next post?

jaclaz

#308 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hi krroga50,

for now you can not use tinyhexer plugins of jaclaz with TinyHexer on LiveXP, use another utility on LiveXP that jaclaz would advice on next posts.

we might need to talk about this thing with the LiveXP developers/mantainers. ;)

live xp have tinyhexer script that adds big edition, but plugins not working for now ;), waits for a candidate finding the requirements. :confused1:

#309 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the ScreenShots.
I cannot see the partition table info, because in TinyHexer the Drive Window is not Fulled.

Anyway I have seen already what is the problem.

Your HDD is missing MBR BootCode and cannot boot, Sector 0 displays a lot of 0
The harddisk was wiped or is new and partitioned (some other program ?) without being initialized by XP Disk Management.

You need to fix the MBR BootCode on your HDD by using MBRFix, which is included in U_XP_SET
http://www.sysint.no...ting/mbrfix.htm

In LiveXP Open cmd window at U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt

MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr

This wil fix your MBR of your HDD Drive 0 as visible in XP Disk Management and will make drive bootable.

For jaclaz scripts and Structure Viewer you need other version of TinyHexer

the file:
http://www.mirkes.de/files/mpth_18.exe
is the "full" install <-this is the one you should download

#310 krroga54

krroga54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the ScreenShots.
I cannot see the partition table info, because in TinyHexer the Drive Window is not Fulled.

Anyway I have seen already what is the problem.

Your HDD is missing MBR BootCode and cannot boot, Sector 0 displays a lot of 0
The harddisk was wiped or is new and partitioned (some other program ?) without being initialized by XP Disk Management.

You need to fix the MBR BootCode on your HDD by using MBRFix, which is included in U_XP_SET
http://www.sysint.no...ting/mbrfix.htm

In LiveXP Open cmd window at U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt

MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr

This wil fix your MBR of your HDD Drive 0 as visible in XP Disk Management and will make drive bootable.

For jaclaz scripts and Structure Viewer you need other version of TinyHexer

All is very well; the MbrFix must have done the job because the BOOT_IMG, reboot, USB_XP_SETUP, reboot, XP Install sequence worked OK.

So please accept my thanks wimb, jaclaz and Lancelot.

I find it interesting that XP Disk Management allowed this disk to be partitioned (as primary), formatted, made active, given a 'Healthy' designation and yet it still had an underlying problem.

I'll see if I can reproduce this problem; possibly starting with the disk utilites that I use most often which is PCCheck.

I'll also try out the XP install step-by-step guide on other PCs.

I seem to have reached my upload quota; so I'll upload hex screenshots of the hard drive before and after its repair when this is renewed, if anyone wants to see them; or perhaps just for the record.

And thanks again, brilliant.

#311 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

Nice to read you find the solution. (ps: mbr fix also exists in livexp)
I dont know pccheck, besides it is known that some old disk utilities cause problems .

I seem to have reached my upload quota;

use a free picture hosting site to share your picture (ex: http://www.imageshack.us/ ) and a free file hosting site to share files (ex: http://www.2shared.com/ ) :confused1:

#312 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

All is very well; the MbrFix must have done the job

Good :confused1:

A lot of partitioning programs don't write MBR bootcode on a blank new disk.
XP Disk management will only initialize harddisk by writing MBR BootCode when the MBR BootSector is still empty.

So when you have made e.g. a partition with PCCheck on empty blank disk, then XP Disk Management will not write MBR BootCode anymore.

So the best is for blank disk to go to XP Disk Management and then it will be initialized with MBR BootCode ;)

#313 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:01 PM

I find it interesting that XP Disk Management allowed this disk to be partitioned (as primary), formatted, made active, given a 'Healthy' designation and yet it still had an underlying problem.

Well, actually it's "normal".

I mean, the MBR is made of TWO parts: the MBR CODE and the MBR DATA.

It seems like you had the MBR DATA (please read Partition Table Data) and the "Magic bytes Signature" 55 AA allright but completely MISSED the actual CODE, which is NOT "necessary" to access, map or use a hard disk, but that is VITAL for booting.

I wonder how that happened also. ;) I am not familiar with PCCHECK, but if it does not write the MBR code (by default or as an option) is something I would stay clear of.

Anyway happy problem is solved now. ;)

:confused1:

jaclaz

#314 krroga54

krroga54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:06 PM

Good :confused1:

A lot of partitioning programs don't write MBR bootcode on a blank new disk.
XP Disk management will only initialize harddisk by writing MBR BootCode when the MBR BootSector is still empty.

So when you have made e.g. a partition with PCCheck on empty blank disk, then XP Disk Management will not write MBR BootCode anymore.

So the best is for blank disk to go to XP Disk Management and then it will be initialized with MBR BootCode ;)

Everything is proceeding OK but I am getting Warning messages coming up in USB_XP_SETUP.

So, after running BOOT IMG, rebooting and making HDD first boot device, then LiveXP loads and I run USB_XP_Setup.

I select the XP Source Folder, BootSDI.img as the Boot Image File and the HDD as the Target; then I get the Warning message:-

WARNING - BootSDI.img File already Exists

Overwrite Existing Boot Image File ? - No = STOP - Return

if I select no

and run USB_XP_Setup without selecting BootSDI.img as Boot Image File I get another warning:-

WARNING- Copy PE RAMBOOT is NOT Selected

PE RAMBOOT Escape Boot Option is useful when XP setup may fail

Do you wish to continue?

so which is best in USB_XP_Setup? is it best to select Boot Image File and then get PE RAMBOOT Escape Boot Option (and get 2 incidences of BootSDI.img on HDD), or

to not select Boot Image File, an so not get Escape Boot Option, which also means not getting 2 incidences of Boot Image File on HDD?

#315 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

The first post of this topic is often inaccessible due to overload.

Please use as alternative:

*** Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB ***

Install from USB without Booting from USB by using U_XP_SET

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21883

http://www.msfn.org/...sb-t121446.html

#316 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

What about making a new topic with same content ?
and renaming current one: "Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB old"
:)

#317 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

What about making a new topic with same content ?
and renaming current one: "Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB old"

Thanks Lancelot,

I have made a new topic entitled:

Install from USB without Booting from USB by using U_XP_SET

http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10138

Can you make it Pinned ?

Cheers,

wimb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users