Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2022 - 02:02 PM

POPULAR

WinNTSetup 5.2.3 can be used to make Min_Win VHD - UsedSize = 1 GB  and LZX WIM = 757 MB  - VHD has 11245 Files and 1770 Folders

Recommended Source ISO -  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso - MinWin Install in VHD Fixed 5GB works OK

- WinNTSetup has Hidden Option MinWin - Left-Click on "Mode:" region to get the blue arrows - Left-click on blue arrows to select Profile, normally Default is used

- Portable Apps LibreOffice Fail but can be solved - requires to use Modded SySWoW.txt as made by alacran
- Start Menu Items cannot be used - Menu disappears with Flash - solved by Install of Classic Shell
Printer and Scanner can be Enabled in Tools\MinWin\Default\Remove\DrvStore_Inf.txt and works OK, when Printer is Connected AFTER Install
Bluetooth Audio Device Added AFTER Install works OK, but Bluetooth cannot be Selected as Playback Device
- Default Apps jpg PhotoViewer works OK, but mp3 pdf doc docx xls xlsx are Not connected to Default Apps e.g. mp3 does not get VLC Icon and double-click does not work
- Set Default App for mp3 works when using Open with .... Select to Always use Checkbox and then Portable VLC program - Result Icon = VLC and Double-click works
- MinWin can be further reduced with Win_Reduce_Trusted - Add Set Drive-Y and Fix Registry and  Remove \Users\All Users to be like Mini-10x64 VHD
- Reduction in UsedSize is obtained with VHD_WIMBOOT_Trusted for Capture and Apply in LZX Mode

WinNTSetup_MinWin_2022-03-07_083155.jpg == MinWin_PRT_BTH_2022-03-11_095349.jpg == MinWin_Reduce_2022-03-12_073247.jpg == Min_Win_Reduce_2022-03-12_073535.jpg == MinWin_Reduced_2022-03-12_074307.jpg  

• alacran, doberman and antonino61 like this

#2 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 March 2022 - 03:17 PM

wonderful! but how?

#3 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2022 - 06:22 PM

wonderful! but how?

In WinNTSetup click on Mode to Activate Create Min_Win

Tools\MinWin folder - similar to Win_Debloat + Win_Reduce but integrated during WinNTSetup - one-step solution

#4 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 March 2022 - 07:06 PM

my dear wimb, all I see in the mode hatch on the mask are 2 wimboots (red) and 5 compacts (yellow and green, from none to lzx) but no create mini_win. I do see the MiniWin subfolder under tools, though. Am I missing out on something?

#5 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2022 - 08:15 PM

Mouse-click on Mode: gives double-blue arrows = Activate MinWin Mode

Mouse-click on double-blue arrows gives menu to Select MinWin Profile - in our case there is only Default profile - so nothing to do here.

WinNTSetup_MinWin_2022-03-05_210556.jpg

• alacran likes this

#6 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 05 March 2022 - 08:50 PM

The option for Mini-VHD is a little hidden, thanks for the info.

I have some questions:

After reading your posts on WinNTSetup topic it seems we can use the intall ISO to make the Mini-VHD build. Please confirm.

If used space is 1 GB, I assume the installation fits in a 1.5 GB fixed size VHD. Is that correct?

I want to test this ASAP.

alacran

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2022 - 08:58 PM

Yes I used Win10_2004_English_x64.iso

UsedSpace by WinNTsetup for MinWin Install is 1.5 GB - so take some more space initially, I did use 15 GB but 5 GB will probably be OK.

I don't know how much space is needed during Setup, it can be more than the final 1.5 GB.

After Install I used VHD_WIMBOOT LZX Capture and Apply in my final 2 GB VHD where UsedSize = 1 GB

• alacran likes this

#8 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 March 2022 - 11:33 PM

sorry alacrán and wimb, i finally got around to installing mini-wim, the spacegain is way beyond compare and I hope it will work in the future, because I have not been able to get it to boot, probably owing to network driver trouble, judging from the comments it leaves. the build is the same as wimb has tried. have I possibly set something wrong?  the boot wheel goes round indefinitely.

#9 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 02:46 AM

well, it mighta bin the wrong windows 10 on my part, so I'll try windows11. I have already tried other builds and it worked like a charm, as well as other already configured wims and it works wonderfully (one has to readd certain files to get all favorite software to work back again, but not a big deal) u guys should be ok even with my pretences, it is slightly over a gig in size. I do not know who of u I should enthuse at. well, shall we try and further shrink this one too?

#10 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 March 2022 - 04:51 AM

Testing WinNTSetup v5.21 to make Mini-VHD installations.

WinNTSetup v5.21 was used to install Mini-10x64-2004_en-US.VHD and Mini-10x64-2004_es-MX.VHD

In first try I didn't edited any list, or applied any tricks in WinNTSetup Tricks window.

So far this are my findings:

Mini-10x64-2004_en-US.VHD boots fine, but even if it recognizes the USB Wifi device, it can't connect to Internet, also even if I can select Spanish KB, and Latin American KB, they are not loaded, I found KBDSP.DLL and KBDLA.DLL were removed, this will be solved deleting the respective lines in System32-DLL.txt, but it seems fix the Wifi issue will be a little more complicated, but not impossible.

I was able to install ClassicShell and 7-zip without any issue, also was able to install as TI, by means of PowerRun the PC context menu, and explorer context menu to launch cmd.exe, BootIce and WinNTSetup work fine, haven't tested any other programs.

Mini-10x64-2004_es-MX.VHD does not boot. I can see Windows logo but never see the dots and never starts loading the first boot configuration, and then the PC shouts off.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#11 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 06:35 AM

The same went for me, I was tryinna say. But it does work on already installed versions.

#12 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 06:42 AM

I will now check the new vhd against its earlier counterpart, with a view to isolating the necessary files to bring the new one to the functionality of the old one.

#13 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 09:26 AM

with this new shrinker it is much easier to manage additions, because we can be closing in all the time. remember: copy the crucial files and leave them selected, run app, dont close it and move the selected files elsewhere. as u r unable to move all of them, u r closer and closer to isolating the one file or the very few files u need. do this for all favorite apps that do not work and u will be able to set up a system32 and a syswow64 folders exclusively containing ur crucial files. the rest is working ok, in sensibly less space.

#14 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 March 2022 - 11:02 AM

@alacran

I think you mean the Tweaks Window (Not the Tricks as you say).

I used the usual settings for Tweaks as given earlier in WinNTSetup_Settings of VHD_WIMBOOT

#15 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 March 2022 - 11:03 AM

JFYI

For now I'm experimenting in buiding Mini-10x64-2004_en-US.VHD with WinNTSetup

What I did is this:

I created a new folder and named Medium in \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Medium and copied into it all the content of Default folder, to test my changes in Medium folder, it is seen and used by WinNTSetup if selected.

It seems to me the cut made in \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Default\Remove\SySWoW.txt is a little excesive.

So I edited it and saved in \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Medium\Remove\SySWoW.txt

My new SySWoW.txt is based in the minimum SySWoW used in Win10XPE + maybe 3 or 4 more lines, and even made some cuts to it as:

All the wbem folder, all related to Dism, all related to \downlevel\api*, made a new build and tested it, the new build booted very fine not a single issue.  Now we have a better x86 support, LibreOfficePortable works very fine and the increase in size was very minor.

Attached Info related to SySWoW.7z   Password = alacran

EDIT: The file related to SySWoW.7z was re-uploaded with some fixes, all working fine now.

For more info see posts No. 30 and 32.

I also commented the following lines in System32-DLL.txt:

\Windows\System32\KBDLA.DLL

\Windows\System32\KBDSP.DLL

\Windows\System32\SensApi.dll  >>> required for notepad++

Now I can change to my keyboards, also notepad++ can be launched but still is falling after make a comparative and tryng to save the findings in a new file, message saiys basically: unknown fail, it seems to me some other DLL files are required.

alacran

Attached Files

• antonino61 likes this

#16 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 March 2022 - 11:09 AM

@alacran

I think you mean the Tweaks Window (Not the Tricks as you say).

I used the usual settings for Tweaks as given earlier in WinNTSetup_Settings of VHD_WIMBOOT

Yes, you are right, my version opens in Spanish, per sure the stupid Spanish translator (myself) translated it as trucos (tricks), I'll have to fix that.

Thanks for the info my friend, I'll use those settings too in my next build.

alacran

#17 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 March 2022 - 11:13 AM

@alacran

Good that you changed SysWOW.txt so that LibreOffice is working.

Probably notepad++ can be fixed as well ....

Nice to hear about your improvements of MinWin made with WinNTSetup

#18 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 11:14 AM

alacrán is dead right. no seeming, it is just a fact. and i am afraid we can do no installing either; with some jerking and antibruteforcing i did manage to get everyting back to work, safe for vhd_resizer and deviceremover, which do not work here as of now, most probably because the cutting was too exaggerate.

#19 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 06 March 2022 - 11:37 AM

I also think I learned enought about the details to edit the Remove lists, so I will try also to make work fine the es-MX, but I think it is better to first finish making some changes and tests in the en-US.

@ antonino61

JFX made a fantastic work with this new way to create a MIni-VHD, and it is really very Mini.

The problem is we use certain programs that he maybe doesn't use, and then he didn't tested if this certain programs worked fine or not.

But in no way this means his approach is wrong, he is using the same approach of File_lists (for working with wimlib) as wimb, so since we are familiar with this, the only thing we need to do is to mod the lists to our own needs/preferences if required, of course this means adding more items to the build, depending of our needs, but I just saw many \Windows\System32\C_*.NLS can be removed, in fact I already edited that in my \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Medium\Remove\System32-DLL.txt, but it is pending to test yet.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#20 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 12:04 PM

no doubt about that, never said anything was wrong, and u are reading my mind for the first time. better late than never. I wish I had more IT competence to help all the better.

#21 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 12:06 PM

i can test system32 dll too if u like

#22 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2022 - 02:26 PM

dear alacrán, ur drift is leading to perferction. now we are near perfect. every piece of "difficult" software works. the only thing that does not is the kbd layout. the system is swifter than before.

ps: system locale ok now. all it took was to change it from the control panel and then reboot.

#23 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 March 2022 - 01:26 AM

JFYI

I will quote here my post in WinNTSetup topic in MSFN forum:

JFYI

My Mini-10_es-MX.vhd boots very fine now. (Made using Win10_2004_Spanish(Mexico)_x64.iso)

By the way there is a typo in the file name it says: Lanugages.txt not Languages.txt

Any way I edited it to keep all es-ES and es-MX, and saved with both names, your program will use the one it has coded, during you fix the typo.

For use in es-MX version, I did same thing in my modded version of SySWoW.txt that was used in Mini-10-US.vhd to fix LibreOfficePortable issue, and also try to cover other possible cases like that.

Also edited System32-DLL.txt, commenting the following lines:

; \Windows\System32\KBDLA.DLL   >>>   Spanish Latin American KB

; \Windows\System32\KBDSP.DLL   >>>   Spanish KB

; \Windows\System32\SensApi.dll   >>>   Requided to boot notepad++   now it boots and works fine, but fails when trying to save as....

I found Paint can't also save as... but I had same issue before in a wimb's project aand I know the cure for that:

; \Windows\System32\shellstyle.dll   >>>   This is used by Paint to save as...., this very possible will also fix same issue in notepad++ (pending to test, will report back).

Adding WlanMM.dll, let me see the available Routers now, but if selecting one, the usuall next dialalog to Connect and type the Password is not shown. Something else is still necessary.

alacran

Note: I applied some extra settings with WinNTSetup 5.21 and they were working fine.

The Start Menu has some issues, as an example if traying to open Notepad, it doesn't open, the screen gets black for a second and it recovers immediatelly, as I always use Classic Shell, this is not a problem for me, from Classic Shell all is launched perfectly fine.

Hope this info can be useful for some of you.

Alacran

• wimb and antonino61 like this

#24 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 March 2022 - 02:35 AM

JFYI

I will quote here my post in WinNTSetup topic in MSFN forum:

Yes, I can confirm \Windows\System32\shellstyle.dll solved the Save as... isuue in Paint and in notepad++, and very possible in many other programs too.

Well, just to summarize, so far:

Installing Classic Shell just after first boot, the Start menu isuues are solved.  It even has its own search feature, no need to use Cortana support for local search, which is good because our very appreciated SwiftSearch (that works at warp speed in NTFS) does not work in FAT-32 formated drives.

With the modded SySWoW.txt, LibreOfficePortable is working fine.

And with a minor edition in System32-DLL.txt, notepad++ and Paint are working fine.

; \Windows\System32\SensApi.dll   >>>   Requided to run notepad++

;\Windows\System32\shellstyle.dll   >>> Required for Save as...

Only remaining is the Wifi issue.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#25 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:11 AM

Quoted from WinNTSetup topic in MSFN forum:

Found another DLL file required:

; \Windows\System32\hotplug.dll

And its respective *.mui file in the (lang) folder (es-MX in my case):

; \Windows\System32\es-MX\hotplug.dll.mui

This DLL is required for USB device extraction.

alacran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users