#1 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:21 AM

POPULAR

To boot vdisk file (vhd/vdi/raw ...with a Linux distro in it) on a real machine.

Features:
  1. It's very simple to create such a vdisk file (just normal install and run a script).
  2. The Linux OS runs on a physical machine, not in a virtual machine, so there is no loss in efficiency.
  3. One vhd/vdi file can be booted in both Legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode.
  4. The Linux OS does not need a disk or partition, just in a file. For example, Windows is your main OS, and you put some Ubuntu/Debian/Arch... VHD files in D:\  You can boot any of them as you want. If you don't need it anymore, just delete it as a normal file.
  5. You can put vdisk file at USB/HDD and boot from Ventoy
  6. You can also boot vdisk file with your current bootloader (e.g. grub4dos/grub2/rEFInd).

CentOS7/8/Deepin/Fedora/Ubuntu/Linux Mint/MX Linux/Kali/Manjaro/Archman/Mageia/openSUSE ... supported.

For more details, please refer:

• wimb, Tokener, alacran and 2 others like this

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:12 AM

Also linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso (1.3 GB) can be booted from a VHD.

JFYI

Hi, I'm writing this from my Linux-Lite.vhd.vtoy, made from linux-lite-5.0-64bit.iso (1.3 GB), it fits on a 10 GB VHD and still has 2.3 GB free.  As another derivative of Ubuntu like Linux-Mint, it is also able to be loaded by grub4dos (as MBR) and by Ventoy or a1ive's grub2 (as MBR or UEFI), by means of vtoyboot-1.0.8 + vdiskchain 1.2, just booted it now as MBR, haven't tested to boot as UEFI yet, but it was installed and booting fine as UEFI on VirtualBox.

I could not say we can compare this size with the size of my Mini-10x64.vhd (2.3 GB), but at least it is easier to handle than my Linux-Mint.vhd.vtoy (20 GB).

If compressed with 7-zip (Max.) for easy transport it, the final size is about 1.63 GB. Of course to boot it is required to decompress it on the final location.

alacran

• ZEE likes this

#3 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:02 AM

To boot vdisk file (vhd/vdi/raw ...with a Linux distro in it) on a real machine.

Features:
  1. It's very simple to create such a vdisk file (just normal install and run a script).
  2. The Linux OS runs on a physical machine, not in a virtual machine, so there is no loss in efficiency.
  3. One vhd/vdi file can be booted in both Legacy BIOS mode and UEFI mode.
  4. The Linux OS does not need a disk or partition, just in a file. For example, Windows is your main OS, and you put some Ubuntu/Debian/Arch... VHD files in D:\  You can boot any of them as you want. If you don't need it anymore, just delete it as a normal file.
  5. You can put vdisk file at USB/HDD and boot from Ventoy
  6. You can also boot vdisk file with your current bootloader (e.g. grub4dos/grub2/rEFInd).

CentOS7/8/Deepin/Fedora/Ubuntu/Linux Mint/MX Linux/Kali/Manjaro/Archman/Mageia/openSUSE ... supported.

For more details, please refer:

Documentation for your tool sucks.  Sucks terribly.  Makes absolutely no sense.  And, I've done everything exactly like it says no linux will not boot from a raw image of any kind with ventoy from an ntfs partition.  50+ tries and nothing. 

probably doesn't work because the documentation SUCKS A BIG ONE!

• ali55a likes this

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:06 AM

UEFI Secure Multi-Boot of Windows 10 and Linux in VHD using Grub2 and viskchain was realised and described in

How to make Linux VHD for Multi-Boot with Windows using Grub2 and vdiskchain

in VHD_WIMBOOT PDF page 10 and 11 (Experts Only if you know what you are doing ....)

-  KALI Linux has 600 Forensic and Penetration Testing Tools and is based on Debian Linux

More Info 

#5 ali55a

ali55a
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:23 PM

Documentation for your tool sucks.  Sucks terribly.  Makes absolutely no sense.  And, I've done everything exactly like it says no linux will not boot from a raw image of any kind with ventoy from an ntfs partition.  50+ tries and nothing. 

probably doesn't work because the documentation SUCKS A BIG ONE!

i cant boot debian,kubuntu,ubuntu.arch whith this .I did not succeed in this way, like you, I went through all the steps

#6 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 May 2022 - 05:55 AM

keep cool Alibba, well, some peoples like stayboogy do we need not really imho...

if he brings some actions an couples times is he flying out in a high ark..

i don't like some persons.. imho be some persons in my eye a Troll..

LongPanda iss a cool Dude who have start this Ventoy in good will , and i love his do :)

Thank you again LongPanda/Ventoy for this very nice Project :) *bigfadhug* __5_second_hug___contest_entry_by_Cookie

best

#7 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:36 AM

I have added a video to YTube

https://www.youtube....h?v=uBjpJl5nMGQ

Also, in my eBook 'Getting started with Ventoy' I have added a chapter with an Exercise on making a Linux Mint VDI (or VHD) and also how to permanently add in the VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT=1 parameter into the .vtoy file so that it always boots with a fully accessible source partition even if you are not booting using Ventoy. 

• Blackcrack and Darkr like this

#8 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 October 2022 - 10:56 AM

Steve, looks nice.. but you should not take a Church Sound, more a silence "Chillout/Lounchemusic" in the Background

for you it is maybe like from NCIS/Abbs' (Abby Sciuto) ( Pauley Perrette) the perfect sound for Chilling, but.. fore the majority is a more Lauchemusic a better Choice *gigle* ;)

best

#9 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2022 - 11:02 AM

Bachs Tochata and Fugue in D Minor is one of my favourite pieces of music.

Unfortunately the YT supplied track is very short and has cut off all the best bits!

See https://youtu.be/Nnuq9PXbywA for how it should have sounded.

If you ever hear it in a church or a concert hall and sit near the organ, you will be stirred if not shaken!

Maybe I should have used this

https://youtu.be/OaZveHbxAYs

or this https://youtu.be/RtDX1Vl-Jxk?t=221

Edited by steve6375, 04 October 2022 - 11:17 AM.

#10 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 October 2022 - 05:34 AM

I'm not questioning your taste *heart* :))

but take a look at this : Buddha Gold Vol.2 - The Finest in Mystic Bar Music

I think you tell a story about how it works.. and take the user on an adventure..
and accompany/underlay the adventure with music for make it to an adventure ;)..

unfortunately we are not in a concert hall with Bose loudspeakers,
were we want not really enjoy the music, because the focus is more on the narrative in the picture
and this underlay, underpainting this with music .. you see ? :)

best

#11 Darkr

Darkr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 05 October 2022 - 06:22 AM

I have added a video to YTube

Also, in my eBook 'Getting started with Ventoy' I have added a chapter with an Exercise on making a Linux Mint VDI (or VHD) and also how to permanently add in the VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT=1 parameter into the .vtoy file so that it always boots with a fully accessible source partition even if you are not booting using Ventoy.

I appreciate you for little but most usefull info many thanks
  • Blackcrack likes this

#12 Amitabh

Amitabh
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 15 November 2022 - 06:15 PM

Am unable to chainload vdisk from Grub2. The *.vhd.vtoy on local hard disk boots fine when i select it by browsing from ventoy or by putting vlnk file on the USB pointing to the hard disk vhd.vtoy

But when i try to chainload vdisk from grub 2 (for both Elementary 6.1 and Zorin 16.1 / 16.2) its stuck at loading initramfs (or initrd)

chainloader (hd0,1)/efi/vdiskchain vdisk=/VMs/Zorin/disk.vhd.vtoy

Its loading the vhd because i get the grub menu for zorin or elementary and then it loads kernel at pauses at the initrd/initramfs step

Vtoy vdiskchain etc are all latest versions

#13 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2022 - 09:52 PM

when you UEFI boot,  hd0 is not always the USb drive.

If you do a ls (hd0,1)/efi/vdiskchain command, does it list vdiskchain  ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, vhd, vdi

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users