• Please log in to reply
319 replies to this topic

#51 ton1

ton1
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:15 PM

An Ventoy

Can You please add support for Berry-linux?

Tank you.

#52 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

As for your PE,  maybe you can give a download link and I can check it.

@ventoy, I found my error, and it was a very silly mistake on my part. Well, at least you confirmed that there was nothing "special" that had to be done to make an iso compatible with Ventoy, so I knew it -had- to be an error on my part.

All my custom PEs work perfectly now, it's great to have lots of different (test-) PE's on a single USB now, even (or specially) on UEFI. You really did an excellent job!

#53 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:31 AM

An Ventoy

Tank you.

Please expect the next release  :D

#54 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:35 AM

@ventoy
Perfect , using agFM as an ISO on Ventoy is better , this keep authenticity of Ventoy untouched.

Thanx for Shell Script.  :D 

@wimb  @chromer030 

a1ive/grub2-filemanager  v7.1.0 has been released which contains a "Ventoy Compatible"  multi-arch iso file.  You can directly use that.

https://github.com/a...anager/releases

Thanks to a1ive!

#55 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:35 AM

@ventoy, I found my error, and it was a very silly mistake on my part. Well, at least you confirmed that there was nothing "special" that had to be done to make an iso compatible with Ventoy, so I knew it -had- to be an error on my part.

All my custom PEs work perfectly now, it's great to have lots of different (test-) PE's on a single USB now, even (or specially) on UEFI. You really did an excellent job!

Good news!

#56 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:36 AM

a1ive/grub2-filemanager  v7.1.0 has been released which contains a "Ventoy Compatible"  multi-arch iso file.  You can directly use that.

Thanks for the info.

I have used now grubfm_multiarch.iso and can confirm that it can be used in BIOS and in UEFI Secure mode in Ventoy for booting a1ive Grub2 File Manager.  :)

On booting a few Linux ISO files in Ventoy using a1ive Grub2 File Manager I noticed that Fedora and Ubuntu FAIL to boot, since they don't support exFAT FileSystem.  :ph34r:

Knoppix runtimelive cd that does not boot in UEFI mode from Ventoy Menu, is booting OK when launched from a1ive Grub2 File Manager.  :)

The nice thing is that Knoppix runtimelivecd supports exFAT .

In fact FAT32 format instead of exFAT for Ventoy drive would be more Universal .....(and even better would be FAT32 + NTFS partition)

In case of FAT32 format for Ventoy drive, then all ISO from Ventoy menu FAIL to boot, so there is not a simple solution yet .... :ph34r:

If we press F1 Memdisk then the grubfm_multiarch.iso is loaded to memory

and then it allows to to boot Fedora, Ubuntu and Knoppix runtimelivecd.iso located on FAT32 Or NTFS Ventoy partition   :)  :)

#57 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

I don't know what is the situation on the "Linux side"  :blush: in the various distro's but - usual semi-random thought - there is a filesystem that *for some reasons* seemingly noone uses :dubbio: that in post-XP Windows OS's should have "native" access and that could solve the FAT32 size limit, and - at least from its name - should be "universal":

https://en.wikipedia...sal_Disk_Format

and suitable to store the files.

:duff:

Wonko

#58 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:31 AM

Do we really need another multiboot tool? Combining Easy2Boot and my iODD is about as good as it gets, does nearly everything I want.

What advantages does Ventoy have over other tools? Anything that it can do that others cant? Without some compelling feature/reason, I likely wont try it.

#59 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

The IODD is "cheating". :whistling:

The main advantage of Ventoy is (as I see it) that it is very convenient for the less experienced people, i.e. (when it works) it just works (and needs not contiguous files.

If you prefer it is a convenient (like free) alternative to the IODD, where you simply copy the .iso's to it and it's done.

If you alreay have your ways that fulfill your needs you have no need for it.

:duff:

Wonko

• ktp likes this

#60 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

a suggestion to @ventoy,

a folder "menu" and a picture in it with menu.png who use it as background would nice

to have a possible for a bit modding the menu to use an own menu wallpaper.

if  "./menu/menu.png == 1 " set wallpaper=./menu/menu.png

else set wallpaper=ventoy.png

would be really cool if you add this possible :)

best regards

Blacky

#61 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:04 AM

...and with Ventoy the device can be write protected (for most functions).

Ventoy is a new solution and does solve a few major issues which the 'partnew' technique has (contiguous-file and write-enabled non-GPT media needed).

My concern is that Ventoy has to recognise what type of Linux it is dealing with and as such (like most other solutions except those using partnew) it will require constant 'keepy-uppy' changes whenever the kernel/initrd files change in a new distro.

The main advantage of the partnew technique is that it is very compatible and works in any filesystem because the new partition is the ISO file and so it is always in the expected filesystem format (Linuxes which can only read ISO9660 can still boot from an ISO on an NTFS drive). It has no need to modify the kernel parameters and always shows the full boot menu, etc.

I have come across some people who are still using a very old version of E2B (over 2 years old) because they have never needed to update it - the old version of E2B still 'just works' with the Linux ISOs that are produced today or 10 years ago.

What most appealed to me about the partnew technique is that it does not rely on a developer having to constantly tweak it to match the latest Linux distro xyz release every few weeks.

The Ventoy developer removed the 'Ventoy v. E2B' page from his site recently, which was a shame. Neither the Ventoy technique or the 'partnew' technique are perfect, but it never hurts to have more than one string to your bow, and the Ventoy technique is very clever and deserves recognition. a1ive is currently experimenting with integrating it into his agFM grub2 file Manager and grub2 builds.

Edited by steve6375, 05 May 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#62 a1ive

a1ive

• Developer
  • 58 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

...and with Ventoy the device can be write protected (for most functions).

Ventoy is a new solution and does solve a few major issues which the 'partnew' technique has (contiguous-file and write-enabled non-GPT media needed).

My concern is that Ventoy has to recognise what type of Linux it is dealing with and as such (like most other solutions except those using partnew) it will require constant 'keepy-uppy' changes whenever the kernel/initrd files change in a new distro.

The main advantage of the partnew technique is that it is very compatible and works in any filesystem because the new partition is the ISO file and so it is always in the expected filesystem format (Linuxes which can only read ISO9660 can still boot from an ISO on an NTFS drive). It has no need to modify the kernel parameters and always shows the full boot menu, etc.

I have come across some people who are still using a very old version of E2B (over 2 years old) because they have never needed to update it - the old version of E2B still 'just works' with the Linux ISOs that are produced today or 10 years ago.

What most appealed to me about the partnew technique is that it does not rely on a developer having to constantly tweak it to match the latest Linux distro xyz release every few weeks.

The Ventoy developer removed the 'Ventoy v. E2B' page from his site recently, which was a shame. Neither the Ventoy technique or the 'partnew' technique are perfect, but it never hurts to have more than one string to your bow, and the Ventoy technique is very clever and deserves recognition. a1ive is currently experimenting with integrating it into his agFM grub2 file Manager and grub2 builds.

It has no need to modify the kernel parameters and always shows the full boot menu, etc.

Ventoy shows the full boot menu, and it doesn't modify the kernel parameters.

#63 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

Doesn't ventoy add a driver and modifies the initrd command? I don't quite understand how it works TBH. 

#64 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:21 PM

I think Ventoy boots ISO as CD without loading it into memory, but instead it uses a blocklist in memory created from the ISO file on harddisk.

So it is just booting as CD and there is no need to modify any parameter ....

#65 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

Once the Linux kernel is loaded, doesn't it access the hardware directly using it's own drivers? That is why you can UEFI-boot to grub2 and then boot to a Linux kernel which does not even support UEFI.

So somehow, Ventoy is getting in to intercept the mass storage device drivers (for Legacy and UEFI). That is the mechanism I don't quite understand.

#66 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:41 PM

Well I don't know exactly how it works, but may be this info helps to understand ...

#67 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

yes, but it doesn't explain how it hooks into linux!

#68 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

An Ventoy

Tank you.

supported from ventoy 1.0.08

#69 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

@ ventoy

Any progress regarding Porteus-Kiosk?

#70 pollo

pollo
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

@wimb  @chromer030 

Thanks to a1ive!

Hello all, If some one could help and answer to this please :

1- I downloaded the latest a1ive/grub2-file manager but I dont know how to install it in my USB disk ? is there a separate tool to do it.

2- grub2-filemanager can be used as an ISO on Ventoy, how to do that, cause I copied the "grub2FM.iso" into my USB disk (exfat partition of course) and booted it with ventoy but nothing happened or maybe there is another way ?

thanx.

#71 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:05 PM

Try this ISO

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...ukV6P8?e=NoBLOS

#72 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

1- I downloaded the latest a1ive/grub2-file manager but I dont know how to install it in my USB disk ? is there a separate tool to do it.

1. USB Format Tool and UEFI_MULTI have Addon for support of a1ive Grub2 FileManager when using Setting Other as EFI Manager

More Info:   and Download: USB_FORMAT and UEFI_MULTI

Or use Option

2. After using Ventoy to Format Drive then Add a1ive Grub2 FileManager file grubfm_multiarch.iso to Ventoy Drive

However in this case a1ive Grub2 FileManager is NOT so useful, since exFAT FileSystem does NOT allow to boot a lot of Boot Image files.

#73 pollo

pollo
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:17 AM

Thank you @steve6375 and @wimb for your replies and advices.

#74 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

I see you can use an unattend XMl file with a Windows ISO, but there are no details of HOW exactly you can do this.

https://www.ventoy.n...utoinstall.html

Anyone any ideas?

Now Ventoy brings a new feature here. You don't need to recreate a new iso file, just use the original one. 
You just need to put a script or template in the USB drive and tell ventoy, that's all. 
You can also update these scripts whenever you want.

so what is file name? where does it go? what extension? how do you 'tell ventoy' ?

Please give example?

#75 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:28 PM

If  I have a Windows ISO and I have 12 different unattend.xml files, each with a different config (language, Edition, options, partitioning scheme, etc.) how do I choose which one I want to use with that one ISO?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users