319 replies to this topic

#26 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:29 AM

Sure it is a very interesting concept and I am deeply impressed by the small size and the ease to use and maintain ventoy.

My report of testing is to show where boot problems exist in some cases and to compare results with other tools to make bootable USB.

I'm very glad to see that you are interested in Ventoy. And thanks for your report.

The above is just to explain the internal differences between Ventoy and other tools. 

#27 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:56 AM

@ventoy

Thanks for explanation. If I wanted to make my own grub2 configfile to boot say linux with persistence or a wim file with extra files embedded and a different start.bat file/winpeshl, how could I do it?

I tried booting two Windows ISOs, one was a single architecture Win10 and the other a Dual 32-bit+64-bit Win10. Both standard Microsoft Install ISOs.

MBR64 Boot:

Single x64 ISO - OK -     Works and install.esd found by Setup - all Editions listed

Dual 32+64 ISO - FAIL - Did not find install.esd file (either 64 or 32) \x64\sources\ and \x32\sources in ISO

UEFI64 Boot:

Single x64 ISO -  FAIL -  'No boot file found by UEFI' ' Maybe the image does not support X64 UEFI!'

Dual 32+64 ISO - FAIL - 'No boot file found by UEFI' ' Maybe the image does not support X64 UEFI!'

Edited by steve6375, 20 April 2020 - 08:00 AM.

#28 alz52879

alz52879

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:16 AM

Hi there,

Thanks very much for providing us with this application.

I've done some humble testing:

- slitaz boots fine (UEFI)

- Win10XPE boots fine (UEFI)

Now, what I'm most interested in:

- Porteus Kiosk doesn't boot at all ( just a black screen with a blinking underscore)

In theory, it should behave exactly like that you burn the iso file to an empty CD/DVD and use a physical CDROM to boot it.

Porteus Kiosk developer's statement:

Kiosk edition can mount only iso9660 filesystem (read only by design - the best for kiosk purpose) so you wont be able to boot from ISO image as it has to be placed on any other filesystem like fat, ntfs, ext*, etc.

I'm able to boot Porteus Kiosk off a partition on my USB stick with Grub4Dos after dd(ing) the iso to that partition.

However, is there a way to make Porteus Kiosk work with Ventoy? 

#29 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

@ventoy
Thanks for explanation. If I wanted to make my own grub2 configfile to boot say linux with persistence or a wim file with extra files embedded and a different start.bat file/winpeshl, how could I do it?

I tried booting two Windows ISOs, one was a single architecture Win10 and the other a Dual 32-bit+64-bit Win10. Both standard Microsoft Install ISOs.

MBR64 Boot:
Single x64 ISO - OK - Works and install.esd found by Setup - all Editions listed
Dual 32+64 ISO - FAIL - Did not find install.esd file (either 64 or 32) \x64\sources\ and \x32\sources in ISO

UEFI64 Boot:
Single x64 ISO - FAIL - 'No boot file found by UEFI' ' Maybe the image does not support X64 UEFI!'
Dual 32+64 ISO - FAIL - 'No boot file found by UEFI' ' Maybe the image does not support X64 UEFI!'

Hi,

If you use your own grub2 script, I can give you some suggestions.

For Linux, you can use something like:

linux  vmlinuz
initrd initrd.img   your_own_initrd.img   xxxx some parameters xxxx  rdinit=/your_init_script

You prepare the initrd with a customized init script in advance. Then after boot, the kernel will execute your init script first, then you can do what you want in the script.

For Windows, you can use wimboot to inject some files/scripts into the boot.wim and boot it. This wimboot is part of ipxe, you can get detailed infomartion in https://ipxe.org/

By the way, can you give these Windows iso names or download links? I want to download and test them in my machine.

Edited by ventoy, 20 April 2020 - 12:46 PM.

#30 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

Hi there,

Thanks very much for providing us with this application.

I've done some humble testing:

- slitaz boots fine (UEFI)

- Win10XPE boots fine (UEFI)

Now, what I'm most interested in:

- Porteus Kiosk doesn't boot at all ( just a black screen with a blinking underscore)

Porteus Kiosk developer's statement:

I'm able to boot Porteus Kiosk off a partition on my USB stick with Grub4Dos after dd(ing) the iso to that partition.

However, is there a way to make Porteus Kiosk work with Ventoy? 

Hi,

Thank you for your test. 

Porteus Kiosk in under testing now, you can expect the next release.

#31 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:52 PM

They are standard Microsoft downloads.

Just go to Microsoft site, get download tool and select Both.

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

untick 'Use recommended options for this PC'

select Architecture Both

I used UK version

#32 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

@steve6375

Your Windows ISO is in that case an ESD ISO with sources\install.esd

In my case the ISO from TechBench contains sources\install.wim in  Win10_1909_Dutch_x64.iso and is booting OK in BIOS and in UEFI mode   :)

#33 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:14 PM

@ventoy - I was testing the Windows UEFI64 booting on Virtual Box 5.

If I test on a Real System then both Windows ISOs UEFI64 boot OK!

However, the dual architecture ISO does not see the install.esd file still.

P.S. Very strange it does't UEFI64 boot on VBox 5????

#34 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

@ventoy

Wow, I am discovering this new interesting tool. Some reports (all in UEFI mode):

Success:
Win10PE SE OK
Various WinPE OK
Acronis True Image 2020 OK

Failure:
Parted Magic 2020-02-23 Fail. Messages:
No bootfile found for UEFI!
Maybe the image doex not support X64 UEFI!

I tested with latest Virtual Box 6.1.6.
There does not seem to have support for Virtual box startup.nsh
(script that I added to the root of boot drive to automate the invocation of bootx64.efi). This is required with Virtual Box in UEFI mode.

My startup.nsh
fs0:
cd EFI
cd BOOT
BOOTX64.EFI
grubia32.efi

After fs0:, a "ls" command shows only EFI, BOOT, grub, tool directories. No startup.nsh file displayed!
It looks like fs0: is in memory (memdisk?) and does not reflect the real disk as I usually expect.

#35 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:06 PM

@ventoy - I was testing the Windows UEFI64 booting on Virtual Box 5.

If I test on a Real System then both Windows ISOs UEFI64 boot OK!

However, the dual architecture ISO does not see the install.esd file still.

P.S. Very strange it does't UEFI64 boot on VBox 5????

Really strage.

#36 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:19 PM

@ventoy

Wow, I am discovering this new interesting tool. Some reports (all in UEFI mode):

Success:
Win10PE SE OK
Various WinPE OK
Acronis True Image 2020 OK

Failure:
Parted Magic 2020-02-23 Fail. Messages:
No bootfile found for UEFI!
Maybe the image doex not support X64 UEFI!

I tested with latest Virtual Box 6.1.6.
There does not seem to have support for Virtual box startup.nsh
(script that I added to the root of boot drive to automate the invocation of bootx64.efi). This is required with Virtual Box in UEFI mode.

My startup.nsh
fs0:
cd EFI
cd BOOT
BOOTX64.EFI
grubia32.efi

After fs0:, a "ls" command shows only EFI, BOOT, grub, tool directories. No startup.nsh file displayed!
It looks like fs0: is in memory (memdisk?) and does not reflect the real disk as I usually expect.

Hi,

I test a pmagic_2020_02_23.iso with my laptop in UEFI mode, and it boot OK.

pmagic_2020_02_23.iso  size 821035008 bytes with SHA1 b1c9c6f4830db47058c2f365179e5a89b0c897c0

Are we testing the same file ?

#37 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:24 PM

@ventoy

Yes, I have the same file size and SHA1 checksum:
b1c9c6f4830db47058c2f365179e5a89b0c897c0 *pmagic_2020_02_23.iso

I did not yet check booting with real machine, only with Virtual Box.

#38 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

@ventoy

Yes, I have the same file size and SHA1 checksum:
b1c9c6f4830db47058c2f365179e5a89b0c897c0 *pmagic_2020_02_23.iso

I did not yet check booting with real machine, only with Virtual Box.

en, maybe it has something to do with the UEFI firmware. 

#39 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:29 PM

@ventoy

About the startup.nsh file, I understand now. Ventoy creates a second 32MB EFI FAT partition, hidden in Windows. 

So I need to copy my startup.nsh to this partition and not to the visible exFAT partition used to store ISO images.

#40 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:33 PM

@ventoy

About the startup.nsh file, I understand now. Ventoy creates a second 32MB EFI FAT partition, hidden in Windows. 

So I need to copy my startup.nsh to this partition and not to the visible exFAT partition used to store ISO images.

Yes, you are right.

#41 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:14 AM

I have modified Ventoy so that it can boot in UEFI Secure mode

Also I modified grub.cfg of Ventoy so that a1ive Grub2 File Manager is added to Ventoy Menu

Booting in BIOS mode with a1ive Grub2 File Manager from Ventoy Menu is possible when simply a1ive grubfm.iso file is added to exFAT Ventoy Drive.

Now I can boot all ISO's with Ventoy in UEFI Secure mode and in BIOS mode either from Ventoy menu Or from a1ive Grub2 File Manager  :)

Ventoy-2020-04-22_090036.jpg == Ventoy-22084929.png == Ventoy-22085007.png == Ventoy-2020-04-22_093014.jpg == Ventoy-22094434.png == Ventoy-22094655.png == Ventoy-22100040.png == Ventoy-DiskPart-2020-04-22_100447.jpg

a1ive F3 Menu allows to select Windows Boot Manager Or to Select Ventoy Menu as illustrated by Screenshots using a1ive option Ctrl + Alt + F12

Then I have used Ventoy to make bootable Portable SSD booting with Win10x64_2003.vhd VHD as FILEDISK

This can be done when we use NTFS Format instead of exFAT for the Ventoy Drive.

In a1ive Grub2 File Manager we can launch the VHD as FILEDISK  :)

After NTFS Format the Ventoy Menu cannot be used to launch Linux ISO files ..... :ph34r:

Can you please Add NTFS Support so that Ventoy Drive can be used for Win10x64 VHD and for Linux ISO files.

And I added Win10XPE.wim file and that PE WIM file is bootable as RAMDISK from a1ive Grub2 File Manager  :)

Ventoy-VHD-2020-04-22_105934.jpg == Ventoy-VHD-22110927.png == Ventoy-NTFS-22111409.png == Ventoy-WIM-VHD-22110940.png == Ventoy-WIM-22111430.png == Ventoy-WIM-2020-04-22_111725.jpg

:cheers:

• ktp and Tokener like this

#42 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:30 PM

I have modified Ventoy so that it can boot in UEFI Secure mode

Also I modified grub.cfg of Ventoy so that a1ive Grub2 File Manager is added to Ventoy Menu

Booting in BIOS mode with a1ive Grub2 File Manager from Ventoy Menu is possible when simply a1ive grubfm.iso file is added to exFAT Ventoy Drive.

Now I can boot all ISO's with Ventoy in UEFI Secure mode and in BIOS mode either from Ventoy menu Or from a1ive Grub2 File Manager  :)

attachicon.gifVentoy-2020-04-22_090036.jpg == attachicon.gifVentoy-22084929.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-22085007.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-2020-04-22_093014.jpg == attachicon.gifVentoy-22094434.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-22094655.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-22100040.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-DiskPart-2020-04-22_100447.jpg

a1ive F3 Menu allows to select Windows Boot Manager Or to Select Ventoy Menu as illustrated by Screenshots using a1ive option Ctrl + Alt + F12

Then I have used Ventoy to make bootable Portable SSD booting with Win10x64_2003.vhd VHD as FILEDISK

This can be done when we use NTFS Format instead of exFAT for the Ventoy Drive.

In a1ive Grub2 File Manager we can launch the VHD as FILEDISK  :)

After NTFS Format the Ventoy Menu cannot be used to launch Linux ISO files ..... :ph34r:

Can you please Add NTFS Support so that Ventoy Drive can be used for Win10x64 VHD and for Linux ISO files.

And I added Win10XPE.wim file and that PE WIM file is bootable as RAMDISK from a1ive Grub2 File Manager  :)

attachicon.gifVentoy-VHD-2020-04-22_105934.jpg == attachicon.gifVentoy-VHD-22110927.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-NTFS-22111409.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-WIM-VHD-22110940.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-WIM-22111430.png == attachicon.gifVentoy-WIM-2020-04-22_111725.jpg

:cheers:

Excellent!   Can you give more detail about how make ventoy avaliable with secure boot enabled?

#43 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:22 PM

Excellent!   Can you give more detail about how make ventoy avaliable with secure boot enabled?

It is the same solution as used in USB_FORMAT for booting in UEFI Secure mode with a1ive Grub2 File Manager

The addon-glim-agFM file for USB_FORMAT contains in USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\efi\boot folder the UEFI Secure boot files of Super-UEFIinSecureBoot-Disk_v3.zip

- In Ventoy first the Hidden EFI Drive on USB must be made visible

In Windows 10x64 use DiskPart > list vol - select vol of EFI (in my case nr 14) as illustrated - assign - EFI drive is mounted as Q:

Also possible is: After booting with Win10XPE from RAMDISK the Hidden EFI Drive is auto mounted

- In EFI\BOOT first you must rename your BOOTx64.efi as grubx64_real.efi

Then Copy from USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\efi\boot to EFI\BOOT the files BOOTX64.EFI and grubx64.efi and MokManager.efigrubfmx64.efi (this is a1ive Grub2 File Manager)

Make folder EFI\grub on USB and Copy the Grub2 system folder x86_64-efi from USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\efi\grub to the EFI\grub folder on USB

Copy file USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\ENROLL_THIS_KEY_IN_MOKMANAGER.cer to EFI drive of USB

Copy file grubfm.iso to root of Ventoy exFAT Drive - This is a1ive Grub2 File Manager for BIOS Mode support - can be simply selected in Ventoy Menu

- In grub folder on Ventoy EFI Drive we need to edit grub.cfg to make entry for launching a1ive Grub2 File Manager in UEFI mode

if [ -n "$vtoy_gfxmode" ]; then
    set gfxmode=$vtoy_gfxmode
else
    set gfxmode=1024x768
fi

if [ "${grub_platform}" == "efi" ]; then
    if [ -e "/efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi" ]; then
    menuentry "grubfm x64 EFI Boot Manager of a1ive" {
      chainloader /efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi
    }
    fi
fi

#colect all image files (iso files)
set ventoy_img_count=0
vt_list_img $iso_path ventoy_img_count

I think that's all .... More Info on how it works is here and here

It would be nice if you can allow in Ventoy to use NTFS Format instead of exFAT.

In that case we can use Win10x64 VHD as FILEDISK for a Portable Operating System

In case of NTFS then the Linux ISO files cannot be launched from Ventoy Menu - Can you solve this ?

Ventoy-DiskPart-2020-04-22_100447.jpg

#44 chromer030

chromer030
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:23 PM

It is the same solution as used in USB_FORMAT for booting in UEFI Secure mode with a1ive Grub2 File Manager

The addon-glim-agFM file for USB_FORMAT contains in USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\efi\boot folder the UEFI Secure boot files of Super-UEFIinSecureBoot-Disk_v3.zip

In Windows 10x64 use DiskPart > list vol - select vol of EFI (in my case nr 14) as illustrated - assign - EFI drive is mounted as Q:

Also possible is: After booting with Win10XPE from RAMDISK the Hidden EFI Drive is auto mounted

Then Copy from USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\efi\boot to EFI\BOOT the files BOOTX64.EFI and grubx64.efi and MokManager.efigrubfmx64.efi (this is a1ive Grub2 File Manager)

Make folder EFI\grub on USB and Copy the Grub2 system folder x86_64-efi from USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\efi\grub to the EFI\grub folder on USB

Copy file USB_FORMAT-40\UEFI_MAN\ENROLL_THIS_KEY_IN_MOKMANAGER.cer to EFI drive of USB

Copy file grubfm.iso to root of Ventoy exFAT Drive - This is a1ive Grub2 File Manager for BIOS Mode support - can be simply selected in Ventoy Menu

- In grub folder on Ventoy EFI Drive we need to edit grub.cfg to make entry for launching a1ive Grub2 File Manager in UEFI mode

else
    set gfxmode=1024x768
fi

}
    fi
fi

set ventoy_img_count=0

It would be nice if you can allow in Ventoy to use NTFS Format instead of exFAT.

In that case we can use Win10x64 VHD as FILEDISK for a Portable Operating System

In case of NTFS then the Linux ISO files cannot be launched from Ventoy Menu - Can you solve this ?

the idea of agFM in ventoy is really exciting , perfect work , i hope we see it as an addable extension to Ventoy in future versions.

Here i frequently test ISO files on different platforms  :

https://github.com/v...Ventoy/issues/7

i appreciate reporting any untested ISO there.

Edited by chromer030, 23 April 2020 - 03:24 PM.

#45 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:48 AM

In fact NTFS Drive is a location that is NOT so suitable for Linux ISO Files.

A lot of them are NOT bootable from NTFS Drive.

FAT32 Or exFAT is better as location for Linux ISO Files.

Win10x64 VHD must be located on NTFS Drive and is NOT bootable when located on exFAT Drive.

The configuration of Ventoy with only exFAT Drive available for Boot Image Files is Not suitable for booting ISO + VHD + WIM Files

USB_FORMAT makes USB Drive with 2 partitions for Boot Image Files - FAT32 Drive and NTFS Drive

In this case we can simply copy Linux ISO files and boot.wim to FAT32 Drive and Win10x64.vhd to NTFS Drive.

This configuration is ideally suitable for booting in BIOS mode and in UEFI Secure mode the three types of Boot Image Files - Linux ISO + PE-WIM + Win10x64 VHD

Also the VHD and WIM files can be booted straight from Windows Boot Manager Menu,

instead of using a1ive Grub2 File Manager with browsing to VHD or WIM Boot Image File in case of Ventoy.

#46 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:13 PM

else
    set gfxmode=1024x768
fi

}
    fi
fi

set ventoy_img_count=0

the idea of agFM in ventoy is really exciting , perfect work , i hope we see it as an addable extension to Ventoy in future versions.

Here i frequently test ISO files on different platforms  :

https://github.com/v...Ventoy/issues/7

i appreciate reporting any untested ISO there.

@wimb  @chromer030 

I add the secure boot solution in ventoy 1.0.07. 

As for agFM, I prefer a bootable agFM.iso in both legacy BIOS and UEFI.

This will be more in line with Ventoy's features. Ventoy will boot an iso file and doesn't care about what in it. 

Here is a shell script (mkiso.sh)  to make a new iso from grubfm.iso and grubfmx64.efi. The new iso is bootable in both legacy BIOS and UEFI, and can be booted directly by Ventoy.

sh mkiso.sh  grubfm.iso  grubfmx64.efi

mkfs.vat and mkisofs is needed.

#!/bin/sh

iso=$1
efi=$2

[ -e $iso ] || exit 1
[ -e $efi ] || exit 1

mkdir -p /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt

#create a fat file system with grubfmx64.efi  currently 8MB is enough
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/efi.img bs=1M count=8
mkfs.vfat /tmp/efi.img
mount /tmp/efi.img  /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt
mkdir -p /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt/EFI/BOOT
cp -a $efi  /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
umount /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt

mount $iso /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt
cp -a /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt  /tmp/agfm_new_iso
umount /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt

mv /tmp/efi.img /tmp/agfm_new_iso/

CurDir=$PWD
cd /tmp/agfm_new_iso/
mkisofs -J -R -b fmldr -c boot.catalog -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -e efi.img -no-emul-boot -o $CurDir/new.iso .

cd $CurDir
rm -rf /tmp/agfm_tmp_mnt
rm -rf /tmp/agfm_new_iso

Edited by ventoy, 25 April 2020 - 02:20 PM.

• ktp likes this

#47 chromer030

chromer030
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 26 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

@ventoy
Perfect , using agFM as an ISO on Ventoy is better , this keep authenticity of Ventoy untouched.

Thanx for Shell Script.  :D 

#48 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:15 PM

@ventoy:

Thank you very much for sharing this excellent tool with us.

I have done some testing, and for a lot of "standard" downloaded iso files, it works just fine, specially in UEFI mode. On a test laptop (DELL Inspiron) I get a nice hi-res menu, and the UI looks great.

In BIOS mode (on the same laptop) however, the display is not that great, and moving the selection is slow, and the selected item is not even visible (I have to "remember" the iso I selected by counting). Is there a possible option for using a text mode display in this case? (I know you possibly prefer a graphical menu). Or a way to "force" a grahpics mode if it is not automatically recognized?

Also, some of my self-made (PE) iso files (created with either mkisofs or oscdimg) don't boot (yet) in UEFI mode (even when these worked before when I wrote them to a single USB directly), but I will investigate and test some more before bothering you with that. Are there any special (extra) requirements I need to take into account?

Thanks again!

[EDIT: In the meantime, I tested on a few more laptops, Packard Bell and HP, both of these had good BIOS graphics modes using Ventoy, so maybe it's a DELL problem, but I would still like to know what I can do about it, thanks]

#49 ventoy

ventoy

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

@ventoy:

Thank you very much for sharing this excellent tool with us.

I have done some testing, and for a lot of "standard" downloaded iso files, it works just fine, specially in UEFI mode. On a test laptop (DELL Inspiron) I get a nice hi-res menu, and the UI looks great.

In BIOS mode (on the same laptop) however, the display is not that great, and moving the selection is slow, and the selected item is not even visible (I have to "remember" the iso I selected by counting). Is there a possible option for using a text mode display in this case? (I know you possibly prefer a graphical menu). Or a way to "force" a grahpics mode if it is not automatically recognized?

Also, some of my self-made (PE) iso files (created with either mkisofs or oscdimg) don't boot (yet) in UEFI mode (even when these worked before when I wrote them to a single USB directly), but I will investigate and test some more before bothering you with that. Are there any special (extra) requirements I need to take into account?

Thanks again!

[EDIT: In the meantime, I tested on a few more laptops, Packard Bell and HP, both of these had good BIOS graphics modes using Ventoy, so maybe it's a DELL problem, but I would still like to know what I can do about it, thanks]

Hi,  

In Ventoy's boot menu, press c to enter a shell and  run   terminal_output console 

then press ESC to return a text menu.

As for your PE,  maybe you can give a download link and I can check it.

#50 Atari800XL

Atari800XL

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 192 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2020 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for that extremely fast reply!

I tested your "terminal_output" command, thank you for that, I also tested it in grub.cfg, this seems to be a good solution for systems that have problems with the video mode, I don't mind the text mode so thanks again for that tip.

For the PE "issue" (which seems to be an issue on *my* side, not yours), I will do some more testing to see what I'm doing wrong, thank you for the offer to look into this as well, if I get stuck I will come back to you.

:thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users