Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Some cool Linux container technology is now also available on Windows:

Microsoft is announcing general availability of Windows Server 2016 at the Ignite conference in Atlanta. For Windows developers and IT-pros, the most exciting new Windows feature is containers, and containers on Windows Server 2016 are powered by Docker.

The first version of Docker was released in 2013, and in the 3 years since launch, Docker has completely transformed how Linux developers and ops build, ship and run apps. With Docker Engine and containers now available natively on Windows, developers and IT-pros can begin the same transformation for Windows-based apps and infrastructure and start reaping the same benefits: better security, more agility, and improved portability and freedom to move on-prem apps to the cloud.

For developers and IT-pros that build and maintain heterogenous deployments with both Linux and Windows infrastructure, Docker on Windows holds even greater significance: The Docker platform now represents a single set of tools, APIs and image formats for managing both Linux and Windows apps. As Linux and Windows apps and servers are dockerized, developers and IT-pros can bridge the operating system divide with shared Docker terminology and interfaces for managing and evolving complex microservices deployments both on-prem and in the cloud.

Running Containers on Windows Server

Docker running containers on Windows is the result of a two-year collaboration between Microsoft that involved the Windows kernel growing containerization primitives, Docker and Microsoft collaborating on porting the Docker Engine and CLI to Windows to take advantage of those new primitives and Docker adding multi-arch image support to Docker Hub.

The result is that the awesome power of docker run to quickly start a fresh and fully isolated container is now available natively on Windows:

PC C:\> docker run -ti microsoft/windowsservercore powershell
Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\>

https://blog.docker....ockerforws2016/

• TheHive likes this

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:45 AM

So, its like, allowing to create portable applications

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

So it seems that way. I wonder if this is meant for GUI based apps.

In the linux world everything is command line, not sure if here we would have more flexibility.

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

Windows can't be trusted to handle Linux, not even in a VM environment. Windows crashes all the time, is unstable as fuck, Linux is far superior. If I'm going to run Linux (and I do), most of the time it will be as a standalone OS, in its' own partition, booting entirely outside of Windows' control.

If anything, Microshaft is only integrating Linux stuff into Windows because they know it's the better OS.

• Brito likes this

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

AntiFinder? Now we have matter and anti-matter on the same board? Seems like a prequel for the clash of the titans.. :dubbio:

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

Seems like a prequel for the clash of the titans..  :dubbio:

I always thought that more than one titans is a prerequisite to make a good clash of 'em. :unsure:

:duff:

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#7 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:54 AM

There need not be more than one titan for there to be a battle. We all know about the old Biblical story of David taking down Goliath. I've seen a 100lb guy beat the living hell out of a broad, muscular man that was 3 times his size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users