•  
    Thailand

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

@Loralon
Try this.
- Open Start Menu.
- Type cmd
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- (Type administrator password) and click Yes.
- Copy and paste these commands into Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe window.
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters /v Paging /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
- When I tested it with Windows 7 (64-bit) which is on SATA/RAID today, the first time it still refused to create/use page file in USB hard disk. I set Start value of USB drivers to 0 too and restart. This time Windows can use pagefile in USB hard disk. These value should already be 0 if your Windows boot from USB.
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbehci /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbohci /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbuhci /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbhub /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\usbstor /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

#27 Loralon

Loralon
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Thanks karyonix for this quick reply,

I am going to try that and let you know how it goes.

I believe that I need to do this after installing diskmod 0.0.2.2? In case I wanted to start a fresh install, how to I uninstall the first installation of diskmod 0.0.2.2?

Thank you for your patience.

#28 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

You can change diskmod parameters anytime. The parameters will take effect on boot disk after you restart computer.

If you want to uninstall diskmod class filter, use this file.
Right-click diskmod_uninstall.inf file and select Install from context menu.
Attached File  diskmod_uninstall.inf   832bytes   3926 downloads

#29 Loralon

Loralon
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

Thanks a million karyonix,

Now I have Win 7 64-bit working with pagefile on my external hdd.

Happy New Year 2010!

#30 dwonda

dwonda
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Hi, first of all I think this is a real clever idea so thank you!

I'm running XP on a eeePc and I am trying to move my page file to D: which happens to be a sd card reader that is recognized by the computer as a USB device, so I though this might work. However I am unsuccessful. Not sure how to pin point the problem, the driver changes and installs successfully. I restart, and then I select a system managed pagefile and set it to D, and when I restart as usual the pagefile ends up on the C drive. Everyone seems to be using this for windows vista or 7, are there some special instructions you can give me, and tell me which version of your driver I should be trying? Thanks!

#31 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

@dwonda
I don't know whether it will work in Windows XP or not.
Page file should be in hard disk. However, you probably don't have hard disk in your eeePC anyway.
You may try v0.0.2.2 (post #23) with this configuration.
reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters /v Paging /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters /v Removable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Normally SD card is removable device and don't have partition table.
If it does not work, create partition table and a primary partition on your SD card and try set page file in it again.

#32 dwonda

dwonda
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

Umm, well you see, the eeePC has a 4gb ssd. In order for me to have downloaded all of the windows updates (SP3 etc...) I needed to move the documents and settigns folder, as well as the program files folder to D drive, which I have successfully done. A pagefile can take up a lot of space however and wanted to move that to the D drive as well. I currently use a modified Hitachi driver that makes the D drive appear as a fixed drive and not removable. However at some point windows knows its not a fixed drive which is why it won't put the page file there. Having the modified Hitachi driver isn't necessary though as it was originally intended for a process who's goal was to have all of windows on an sd card, this way the original Linux OS could be preserved on the ssd. I found this to be a pain in the ass and gave up on it. I also didn't like the original Linux that it came with anyways, and knew that running xp on my memory card, would be slow (even though its a class 10 card)

Long story short everything runs fine even if it doesn't see it as a fixed drive with the modified Hitachi driver, and partioning my memory card isn't really an option as this point I don't think.

#33 Blackburried

Blackburried
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

How to install DiskMod 0.0.2.2.
[*]Extract the archive file in a folder.
[*]Right-click diskmod.inf and select "Install" from context menu.

I'm getting stuck w/ both revs of the driver right there. The dialog claims it's not 64 bit:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

This is W7 Enterprise.

Any ideas?

#34 Blackburried

Blackburried
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

I'm getting stuck w/ both revs of the driver right there. The dialog claims it's not 64 bit:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

This is W7 Enterprise.

Any ideas?

But, it was installing the driver... so the error message was bogus.

In putting a pagefile.sys file on the drive, following reboot, I get the message dialog:

"Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer..."

I thought this shim was supposed to delay Windows long enough for the driver to load?

#35 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

@Blackburried
What about step 3 ? Did you set "Paging" value to 1 ?
Where is you Windows drive (in IDE/SATA disk or in USB disk) ?

#36 Blackburried

Blackburried
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

@Blackburried
What about step 3 ? Did you set "Paging" value to 1 ?

Yes. Got that.

Where is you Windows drive (in IDE/SATA disk or in USB disk) ?

I'm not quite sure. It's solid state storage... but not a standard drive. I've attached the device heirarchy as it looks before I add your driver. According to the instructions, I update the (Fusion-io) driver under the "Disk Drives" section. After doing that, the driver name changes to "Disk Drive".

Attached Files

#37 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

New version DiskMod 0.0.2.2.

File looks missing... is there some new version available or a different link?
TY

#38 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

It seems boot-land server has problem today.
You can download DiskMod 0.0.2.2 binary from http://www.mediafire.com/?z5zamdzm1uq .

#39 Qbert

Qbert

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

It doesn't work for me. Maybe because I extract diskmode file in c:\windows\inf ?)
Now I would like di unistall it, but also "diskmod_uninstall.inf" link does not work. May you please re-upload that file?

Thx in advance

#40 agni

agni

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 270 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

I installed Windows 7 on my WDC USB HDD.I installed diskmod and set the parameters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters as Paging =1 and Removable=2
Everything is fine and I am able to use Pagefile on my USB HDD itself.

However I wanted the diskmod setting to only affect my USB HDD .So I changed the parameters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters back to the default value i.e, Paging =2 and Removable=2
Now I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_WD&Prod_3200BEV_External&Rev_1.75\57442D575846314133304D38313838&0\Device Parameters\DiskMod
This key corresponds to my USB HDD. Here when I set the parameters Paging =1 and Removable =2 the page file could not be created on the USB HDD.I tried changing the values of Removable to 0 and 1.But still pagefile refused to be created on USB HDD

Can anybody point out where I am going wrong?

How to install DiskMod 0.0.2.2

1. Extract the archive file in a folder.
2. Right-click diskmod.inf and select "Install" from context menu.
3. Set its parameters in registry.
* key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters
o value "Paging" type REG_DWORD
data 0 = Disable paging, 1 = Enable paging, 2 = Normal (Default)
o value "Removable" type REG_DWORD
data 0 = Fixed media (partitioned), 1 = Removable media, 2 = Normal (Default)
Affect all hard disks and mass storage devices.
* key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\diskmod\Parameters\MBR_12345678
o value "Paging", "Removable"
Affect only devices that have matching MBR signature (or 4-bytes data at offset 0x1B8).
* key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\xxxx\xxxx\Device Parameters\DiskMod
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\xxxx\xxxx\Device Parameters\DiskMod
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\xxxx\xxxx\Device Parameters\DiskMod
(version 0.0.2.2)
o value "Paging", "Removable"
Affect only one installed device.
4. Detach and re-attach disks or restart computer.
Parameters are read when each disk device start.

#41 DDRRE

DDRRE
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:56 AM

I just can't get this to work.. tried setting globally via services\diskmod\parameters paging 1 and removable 0, tried setting through enum usb.. nothing. The drive can't be chosen in the "virtual memory" window, only physical drives appear.

Running Win7 x64.

#42 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

@DDRRE
DiskMod in Windows 7 64-bit can only run in "Test Mode". Make sure you configure you BCD to start Windows in Test mode.
If it still does not work, Try re-partition your USB drive.
Use diskpart (run as administrator).

list disk
select disk number
clean
convert mbr
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick

#43 DDRRE

DDRRE
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for replying, but it's still not working. Here's a screenshot (I also pasted relevant regedit windows):
http://img703.images...ageusbfull.jpg/

As you can see, I've done everything correctly and followed your instructions, but the drive (J:) (number 5 in diskmod\Enum) doesn't appear.
Drive F: is an extremely old and slow IDE HDD which I used for the swapfile.

I also tried setting both parameters to 1, didn't help either.

Any ideas?

Edited by DDRRE, 27 April 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#44 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

Set Paging=1 and Removable=0. You may set them in MBR_... subkey to avoid problem with other drives.

The drive that contains pagefile and its parent devices' drivers' Start value should be 0.
And the drive that contains pagefile must be accessible through BIOS INT 13h during boot.
You may have to enable USB mass storage support in BIOS and reboot with the drive plugged-in.

I am not sure it will work or not. I have only tried pagefile in USB hard disk, but not in USB flash drive.

#45 DDRRE

DDRRE
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for replying again, setting the parameters as you specified didn't help.
Also, I have no idea how to put the MBR signature to fit your syntax, especially when it's a long one (http://img863.images...us/i/yarly.jpg/)..

Thanks anyway!

#46 Edo

Edo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for replying again, setting the parameters as you specified didn't help.
Also, I have no idea how to put the MBR signature to fit your syntax, especially when it's a long one (http://img863.images...us/i/yarly.jpg/)..

I can suggest to you and to edit the guide to do as follow:
Instead of the reg command, use diskpart to see the MBR id, in cmd:
diskpart

LIST DISK

[then look at the disk you want]

SELECT DISK X [where X is the number]

DETAIL DISK

In the first row you can see the disk id already correct (it is in form 123456).

Now can I ask a bad question? :cheers:
There is a way to enable usb disk to become dynamic? So you can raid on usb disk?
It works on firewire disks but not on usb, also if diskmodded.
Thank you very much :thumbup:

#47 M2S

M2S
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

If you get "temporary pagefile created" message on every boot, try this:

1. Open Regedit
2. Go to key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
3. Delete key with name "ExistingPageFiles" (if key exists)
4. Delete key with name "PageFiles" (if key exists)
5. Reboot

I hope this solve the problem (solved for me)

#48 Legorol

Legorol
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

I would like to report that DiskMod 0.0.2.2 helped me solve two other problems. I installed Windows XP SP3 to boot on an 8 Gb USB stick. Almost everything worked fine, except for two things: when trying to access the Windows Update website, I would get an error 0x8DDD0002, and there was no System Restore tab available under Computer Properties.

I installed DiskMod 0.0.2.2, set the Removable parameter to 0, and that fixed both problems.

Credit goes to jaclaz for directing me to this topic and suggesting it as a possible solution.
Thank you karyonix for the tool.

Edited by Legorol, 07 July 2011 - 12:33 AM.

#49 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

Just for the record, the related topic with more details is here:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24419

:cheers:
Wonko

#50 SuperJMN

SuperJMN
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Spain

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Great! this is working on my USB drive! it actually boots up from USB and the same drive is using for paging! it uses PWBoot. Is this project dead? please, don't leave it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users