alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:29 AM

@ wimb

Hey my friend, don't you think it will be a good idea to move to a new topic, all posts related to the new feature of WinNTSetup to make installations in Mini-VHs?

And this way keep a few more order in the forum, and also in this topic you started, that so far is 42 pages long, by the way maybe a record as the longest topic.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#27 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2022 - 08:18 AM

Hey my friend, don't you think it will be a good idea to move to a new topic, all posts related to the new feature of WinNTSetup to make installations in Mini-VHs?

And this way keep a few more order in the forum, and also in this topic you started, that so far is 42 pages long, by the way maybe a record as the longest topic.

Very good idea. Please Start New Topic e.g. in Windows Extreme > Windows 10  -  Mini Windows made with WinNTSetup or similar topic.

Can you move the MinWin related posts to that topic ? I have no rights to do that .....

#28 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:24 AM

I'm starting this new topic because this new feature (starting in v5.21) of WinNTSetup made by JFX deserves its own topic to keep all reboot.pro readers informed of our own experiments with this new feature, and also to do not create confusion to readers of wimb's topic: VHD_WIMBOOT - Apply and Capture of WIM Files for OS in VHD

Our fellow wimb started posting the info from his firsts experiments with this new feature in this post in WinNTSetup topic in MSFN forum.

alacran

• gbrao likes this

#29 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:34 AM

I'm starting this new topic because this new feature (starting in v5.21) of WinNTSetup made by JFX deserves its own topic to keep all reboot.pro readers informed of our own experiments with this new feature, and also to do not create confusion to readers of wimb's topic: VHD_WIMBOOT - Apply and Capture of WIM Files for OS in VHD

Our fellow wimb started posting the info from his firsts experiments with this new feature in this post in WinNTSetup topic in MSFN forum.

alacran

Thank you for creating New Topic Mini Windows made with WinNTSetup and for moving all related posts to that topic.

The subject definetely deserves to have its own topic   :)

• alacran likes this

#30 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 10:23 AM

About your post on MSFN

Following @JFX and instructions of  @alacran  and using  Win10_2004_English_x64.iso as Source I can report now:

- WiFi available Networks are shown, but Unable to Connect to WiFi
- notepad++ and Paint working OK
- LibreOffice does not work for me with modded SySWoW.txt - same error as before
- Bluetooth can Add Device, but Unable to Select as Playback Device
- Printer - cannot Add Printer
- Set Default App for mp3 works when using Open with .... Select to Always use Portable VLC program - Result Icon = VLC and Double-click works

Attached Edited files.7z  Password = alacran

EDIT: Re-uploaded it is fixed now.

This is the last version of all files I have edited so far, you will find Languages.txt and also Lanugages.txt, it seems JFX committed a typo in this file name, but as we can't know wich is the file coded into his program better have both and the program will use the one it requires.

Also you will find System32-DLL.txt and SySWoW.txt

Please check and edit them if required, I added a few more lines to SySWoW.txt, it should work fine for you now.

It seems I added some DLLs manually to the booted VHD and forgot to update the text file, sorry for the invonvenience.

alacran

Attached Files

Edited by alacran, 08 March 2022 - 12:20 PM.
Attachment re-uploaded

#31 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2022 - 11:25 AM

Hi alacran,

Tested LibreOfficePortable in New MinWin VHD made by using Updated SysWoW.txt

The Error pop-up is gone, but LibreOfficePortable does NOT work yet for me .... May be some more is needed ....

#32 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 11:50 AM

Yes, I omited this line: !\Windows\SysWOW64\wer.dll

That's all needed.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

I will fix the download in previous post.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#33 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:12 PM

Attached LibreOfficePortable folder for desktop.7z  Password = alacran

In SendTo you only need to copy the link to LibreOfficePortable, sending a file to it automatically opens the right program from the suite to load it.

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• Mini-10-US-vhd.png

Attached Files

#34 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:17 PM

Yes Adding this line works OK -  !\Windows\SysWOW64\wer.dll

Thanks alacran  :)

Min_Win_Apps_2022-03-08_130957.jpg

• alacran likes this

#35 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:51 PM

hello, I have discovered that moving the video driver off the vhd and junctioning it back on works fine, so here is another consequent similarity to (or anti-difference from, if u will)  the barebone vhd and any personalized version of it - whether the basic driven inside or the nvidia driver outside results in 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. 

#36 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:06 PM

You are 50 of 1 or a half hundred right.

alacran

• antonino61 likes this

#37 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:14 PM

6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other is an Irish American idiom, which u have understood perfectly well.

btw, has anyone found out which dll(s) is/are liable to make the webcam work?

#38 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:52 PM

Hi my friends.

Just to let you know I'm connected from my Mini-10-US.vhd by means of PE Network Manager and FireFox portable.

I made so many changes/additions, that I need to re-make the processs again to make sure I will give you the right info.

alacran

#39 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 March 2022 - 07:39 PM

Just to let you know I'm connected from my Mini-10-US.vhd by means of PE Network Manager and FireFox portable.

I made so many changes/additions, that I need to re-make the processs again to make sure I will give you the right info.

Without making any changes I did the same in post #1 - using PENetwork for WiFi Connect and using FirefoxPortable

So may be not related to the changes that you made ....

#40 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 08 March 2022 - 10:02 PM

I'm posting from my Mini-10_es-MX.vhd, I have being doing some tests, adding to the VHD all wlan*.* files that were not present in following list.

Spoiler

Also added \Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_*  

All copied from the main 10x64 es_MX OS. To make sure all is loaded after copied, I closed the session an opened session again.

I'm able to see all available routers, even select mine and see the option to connect to it, but the little rectangle to put the password is not shown.  Please see on attached photo, now when connected using PENetwork, I can disconnect opening the icon on taskbar.

It sems to me one or more WinSxS folders and files are required as you can see in following info from the main OS:

Spoiler

The WinSxS files to install are controled in \WinNTSetup\Tools\MinWin\Medium\WinSxS.ini, maybe you can edit it to include the required files/folders, and then we will not need to use PENetwork.

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• Wifi.png
  • Wifi-2.png

• wimb likes this

#41 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 March 2022 - 07:14 AM

Forget abut my previous post, I changed the approach, attached my old Mini-10x64-LZX-R.vhd made with wimb's programs and by means od Switfsearch TI made a list of all ocurrences of wlan* into it, the list is shorter and there is not any WinSxS file/folder included, as seen in the spoiler:

Spoiler

So I have some files/folders in excess into my Mini-10_es-MX.vhd made with JFX approach, already made a list of them, but for now they don't hurt, so now I will concentrate in adding the two files that are not yet present in it and will run a new test, and report back.

Spoiler

alacran

#42 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:15 AM

WiFi Connect is working OK with latest WinNTsetup 5.2.2

MinWin_WiFi_2022-03-09_000211.jpg == MinWin_WiFi_2022-03-09_000316.jpg  

• alacran likes this

#43 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:17 AM

In writing from Mini-10_es-MX.vhd, connected directly by the icon next to the clock, (NOT using PENetwork for this), still not able to see the rectangle to intruduce the password but if selecting Automatic it connects immediately by Wifi to my router.  I assume the password introduced in PENetwork was stored somewere in the OS, and now there is no need to type or paste it anymore.

alacran

#44 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:21 AM

@ wimb

WiFi Connect is working OK with latest WinNTsetup 5.2.2

attachicon.gif MinWin_WiFi_2022-03-09_000211.jpg == attachicon.gif MinWin_WiFi_2022-03-09_000316.jpg

I was writting when you were posting, that are good news, now all is working fine, I will test v5.2.2 ASAP.

alacran

#45 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:56 AM

Hi @wimb , @alacran,

What size is your current mini WinPE10 WIM file?
I mean - with all required files necessary for most popular apps to work (7-Zip, Notepad++, MultiCommander, Everything Search, etc...), including Windows Explorer, and including WoW64 for 32bit app support?

Just for comparison, I currently have a WinPE10 x64, which I built on purpose without WoW64 and without Explorer GUI (no taskbar, no start menu, no Windows Explorer), but with all necessary files and registry entries to run most apps just fine.
I use MultiCommander as the file explorer, and all copy/move/paste operations are working fine, including ability to view file properties.
This WIM file is 572MB in size. This is after running the command:
wimlib-imagex export %~dp0%WIMFILE%.wim 1 %~dp0%WIMFILE%_NEW.wim --boot --check --recompress
So, just curious to know how "mini" is your WinPE10 WIM file?

#46 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 March 2022 - 09:07 AM

@ericgl

Make_WinPE is another topic, but results about PE WIM Size are given here

MEDIUM  = 448 MB has WOW64 + everything of SMALL + x86 Portable Apps support

SMALL     = 347 MB without SysWOW64 but with WinXShell + MMC + WiFi + Taskbar + PECMD + x64 Portable Apps support e.g. Launchbar for Portables and PE_Tools, and System_Info

Both Versions have build-in  7-zip_x64, ChkDskGUI_x64, DBCTaskmanX64, Explorer++_x64 and IrfanView_x64, multimonitortool_x64, PENetwork_x64, Windows Login Unlocker

and RunScanner, ImDisk, KeyboardLayout.cmd, HotSwap!, LetterSwap, notepad

Please post in Make_WinPE - Make PE WIM File from x64 Windows ISO

WinPE_Sizes_2022-03-03_092508.jpg

#47 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:08 PM

The new WinNTSetup v5.2.2 made a fantactic work installing a Mini-10_es-MX.vhd.

As wimb mentioned the Wifi connection is working very fine now, and no need of all the additional files I was using during my tests trying to make it work in a build made with previous v5.2.1, JFX only added 10 more DLL and MUI files to make the Wifi work.

Of course there may be some little minor details to fix, but nothing critical.

For now I'm using my modded SySWoW.txt file with very minor changes (under testing), and latter I will try to check if I can reduce it's size a few.

In fact I'm posting from FireFox Portable runing from my Mini-10_es-MX.vhd.

alacran

• wimb likes this

#48 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 March 2022 - 06:18 AM

I still can't complete the installation of miniwin straight from the original iso. I can obtain a complete install only from a wim of an already installed original.

#49 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:34 AM

I still can't complete the installation of miniwin straight from the original iso. I can obtain a complete install only from a wim of an already installed original.

What is the exact filename and type of your original iso and what is exactly the download Link ?

#50 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 March 2022 - 09:49 AM

Wimb, it is the one u recommended, the one win11 of the two that's supposed to work better. I obviously chose no.6 (pro), but it got stuck at locale choice and would not go on. Want me to try isolating the no. 6 first and then running it on winntsetup?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users