Photo
- - - - -

AIO Boot - Create a bootable USB drive or HDD with Grub2, Clover and Syslinux

aio boot grub4dos grub2 syslinux clover boot usb bootable usb boot boot loaders boot usb udisk

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

So, how does this compare to @Steve6375's Easy2Boot? Opinions? Advantages/disadvantages when compared to/against E2B? It looks like AIO Boot primarily uses GRUB2, Clover, and Syslinux, whereas E2B uses GRUB4DOS. I'm preferential to E2B right now but only because it has worked reliably for the most most when it comes to booting a variety of boot mediums/OSes. I use a 256GB USB stick with E2B on it. Maybe I will try AIO out on a smaller secondary stick as a test, but I probably wouldn't switch, since what I have "just works".

#27 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

@Blackcrack: Yes, the ISO is extracted into the directory as its name.

@Zoso_The_Internet_Fucktard
Because Grub2 is a little faster than Grub4Dos. Furthermore, E2B uses the method of scanning existing files at boot time. AIO uses real files and menus when integrated through the tool. So maybe it's a little faster too.
Grub4Dos can not read non-contiguous files, while Grub2 can.
Grub2 supports UEFI mode, E2B also supports but it needs to switch to Grub2.
E2B does not support PXE, AIO does.

Because we do not need too much, AIO is lighter than E2B.

Edited by nguyentu, 31 May 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#28 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:07 PM

This is an amazing tool, I was searching for a tool like this, I wanted to create a Multiboot Windows Installer with Hiren Boot CD, it is working fine on my new laptop with UEFI but not working on my older Vaio laptop with BIOS. When I select my 4TB  HDD as my boot device it only show "GRUB and flashing cursor. It doesn't go and further. Please help me and also give me link of a tutorial for Windows on the go, means a working Windows 7/8/10 on a 20-30 GB partition of my 4TB HDD and all these installer which I have already created.

Waiting for a quick reply.

#29 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:25 AM

This is an amazing tool, I was searching for a tool like this, I wanted to create a Multiboot Windows Installer with Hiren Boot CD, it is working fine on my new laptop with UEFI but not working on my older Vaio laptop with BIOS. When I select my 4TB  HDD as my boot device it only show "GRUB and flashing cursor. It doesn't go and further. Please help me and also give me link of a tutorial for Windows on the go, means a working Windows 7/8/10 on a 20-30 GB partition of my 4TB HDD and all these installer which I have already created.

Well I think the problem there is the 4TB drive.  Since BIOS systems are limited to seeing max 2TB, that may be the issue.

I don't have a 4TB drive to experiment with, but if I did, the first thing I would try is to create a much smaller partition of 1GB or so and see how well it boots.  I usually just use smaller drives for older systems since I know it will always work.  Usually 128GB or less drives because of the 137GB "bad bios" issue.

Windows on the go is very easy.  Just use winntsetup and install windows to the drive.  Then you have to add it's bootmgr to the boot menu of your aio program.

If you want multiple windows installs, install them to vhd's and you can boot them from the aio program.

#30 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:51 AM

Ok, I have deleted all the partitions, leaving a 20 GB partition for "Windows on the Go", a 10mb partition which is the boot partition, and a 30 GB partition for AIO files and setups of all the version of Windows. Still not booting in BIOS system only showing "GRUB _" with flashing cursor. If I can't boot my AIO setup on BIOS system then this AIO setup is useless for me. :( :( :( :( :(

#31 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

Windows on the go is very easy.  Just use winntsetup and install windows to the drive.  Then you have to add it's bootmgr to the boot menu of your aio program.

Please guide me how can I add bootmgr of installed Windows 7 or 10 to the boot menu of AIO program?

Edited by nice_guy75, 22 October 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#32 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:35 AM

Ok, I have deleted all the partitions, leaving a 20 GB partition for "Windows on the Go", a 10mb partition which is the boot partition, and a 30 GB partition for AIO files and setups of all the version of Windows. Still not booting in BIOS system only showing "GRUB _" with flashing cursor. If I can't boot my AIO setup on BIOS system then this AIO setup is useless for me. :( :( :( :( :(

hmmmm well it seems that your older system has some issues with grub2

i don't know grub2 anywhere near as well as i do grub4dos

i know that grub2 can boot on either bios or uefi and that's why aioboot uses it

grub4dos is bios only, but it is super easy to get to work

if you want to try troubleshooting grub2, look here:

https://help.ubuntu....Troubleshooting

hopefully that will get it working, but no guarantees, since i haven't run into that issue

quite honestly if all that you are looking for is something to multiboot on those 2 different systems i would try another multiboot system

i'm going to use aioboot for all my stuff since i like the built in pxe server and it boots on all the systems I've tried it on so far

i would try the multiboot toolkit since that one can even boot in secure boot since the default loader is microsoft's bootloader

but i personally don't like it since i can't boot anything except ms stuff unless i disable secureboot

keep me updated what you decide to do and what the results are from your attempts, i may be able to help further

• nice_guy75 likes this

#33 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:03 AM

it looks like aio boot only supports windows installed into vhd for adding through its interface

you could try hitting "c" and getting to a grub prompt, then type chainloader /bootmgr

it should load windows if it was installed correctly to the drive

i know mine worked when i used grub4dos

speaking of which, you can try to switch to the grub4dos bootloader in aio boot, it has the option to switch to that bootloader

#34 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:26 AM

it looks like aio boot only supports windows installed into vhd for adding through its interface

you could try hitting "c" and getting to a grub prompt, then type chainloader /bootmgr

it should load windows if it was installed correctly to the drive

i know mine worked when i used grub4dos

speaking of which, you can try to switch to the grub4dos bootloader in aio boot, it has the option to switch to that bootloader

GRUB4dos doesn't work on GPT disk. Secondly I am not trying to boot into the installed OS, I am trying to boot into the already created AIO, which is working fine on UEFI system but not working on BIOS systems. I have integrated installation setups of XP, Windows7 x86 and x64, Windows x86 and x64 and Hiren Boot CD with live Windows 10. But this AIO is not booting on BIOS system.

#35 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

GRUB4dos doesn't work on GPT disk. 

grub4dos works just fine on GPT disks.

It doesn't work with UEFI firmware.

That is not the same thing.

:duff:

Wonko

• nice_guy75 and devdevadev like this

#36 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

grub4dos works just fine on GPT disks.

It doesn't work with UEFI firmware.

That is not the same thing.

Wonko

May be............. but when I tried to install Grub4dos from bootloader it says, "The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Only Grub2, rEFInd and Clover are supported."

I have tried on UEFI as well as on BIOS system and got the same message on both the systems.

You can try for yourself, forum is not allowing me to post pics otherwise I would have posted the screenshot as well.

Edited by nice_guy75, 22 October 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#37 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:23 PM

May be............. but when I tried to install Grub4dos from bootloader it says, "The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Only Grub2, rEFInd and Clover are supported."

I have tried on UEFI as well as on BIOS system and got the same message on both the systems.

You can try for yourself, forum is not allowing me to post pics otherwise I would have posted the screenshot as well.

I have tried long before you, rest assured. :)

The fact that the tool you are using does not support installing grub4dos on GPT disk it doesn't mean that grub4dos doesn't work on a GPT disk, the tool simply won't (correctly) allow installing the grldr.mbr to a GPT disk (and it is obvious, as the GPT disk has not enough space for the grldr.mbr).

But there are other ways:

http://reboot.pro/to...in-bios-to-gpt/

Recent thread, highlighting the available methods:

http://reboot.pro/to...b-with-bootice/

The procedures are however complex and I believe well beyond your current level of familiarity with both the concepts and the tools used (and all in all they end up as being suitable only in a handful of selected cases).

Wonko

#38 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:20 PM

I have tried long before you, rest assured. :)

The fact that the tool you are using does not support installing grub4dos on GPT disk it doesn't mean that grub4dos doesn't work on a GPT disk, the tool simply won't (correctly) allow installing the grldr.mbr to a GPT disk (and it is obvious, as the GPT disk has not enough space for the grldr.mbr).

But there are other ways:

http://reboot.pro/to...in-bios-to-gpt/

Recent thread, highlighting the available methods:

http://reboot.pro/to...b-with-bootice/

The procedures are however complex and I believe well beyond your current level of familiarity with both the concepts and the tools used (and all in all they end up as being suitable only in a handful of selected cases).

Wonko

umbr can also be useful in this case ?

#39 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:38 PM

hmmm i didn't know it didn't let you switch the bootloader to grub4dos, otherwise i wouldn't have mentioned it

anyway, since you have tried to make another aio with smaller partitions and that didn't work, i would move on to 2 more trials

1. use hpa (a feature on most modern drives, allows you to resize the actual physical space seen by the system) to cut the drive down to less than 2 tb

2. use another drive of 128gb or less and make an aio and see if it boots

that's the best advice i can offer so far since the largest drive i own is 1.5tb

haven't had the need for anything bigger

• nice_guy75 likes this

#40 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:46 AM

umbr can also be useful in this case ?

What do you think the given threads revolve about?

1. use hpa (a feature on most modern drives, allows you to resize the actual physical space seen by the system) to cut the drive down to less than 2 tb

Giving up 2 TB of available storage, and it is not like modifying a HPA (via USB connection? :w00t:) is exactly "easy-peasy" and within the reach/capabilities of someone non-expert in the matter.

Wonko

#41 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

.............the largest drive i own is 1.5tb

haven't had the need for anything bigger

Please do me a favour, if your drive is GPT try on your 1.5tb drive to create a windows installation media using this tool and try to boot it on BIOS system. Because I think the problem is not the size as I left 3.5tb space unallocated. I believe the problem is something else.

Edited by nice_guy75, 23 October 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#42 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:16 PM

Please do me a favour, if your drive is GPT try on your 1.5tb drive to create a windows installation media using this tool and try to boot it on BIOS system. Because I think the problem is not the size as I left 3.5tb space unallocated. I believe the problem is something else.

well now i think i can see the issue

i thought you were also having a problem booting up the menu on the bios system as well though?

you said it was stuck at a grub prompt?

but yes, in general it will take some hackery to get windows to boot from a gpt disk on a bios system

#43 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:41 PM

https://www.aioboot.com/en/mbr4tb/

http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry188813

https://www.aioboot....en/windows-vhd/

https://www.aioboot....pt-legacy-bios/

• nice_guy75 likes this

#44 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

First link has a limitation of only 3 partition maximum, Second link is about Windows and my current problem is booting AIO Windows Installer of GPT disk in Legacy mode. 3rd link is about booting windows in legacy mode which is installed in vhd , I think link 4 is very interesting if you can explain me how can I boot my AIO directly into Clover, as my AIO is not booting in GRUB2 in legacy mode or in BIOS systems, so it is not possible for me to go to clover from grub2. I opened the setting and set Clover as default bootloader in UEFI mode but this is of no use as I want to boot my AIO in legacy mode or on BIOS systems.

#45 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

well now i think i can see the issue

i thought you were also having a problem booting up the menu on the bios system as well though?

you said it was stuck at a grub prompt?

but yes, in general it will take some hackery to get windows to boot from a gpt disk on a bios system

You are bang on target, the menu on the BIOS system is not booting at all, it is not able to go that far, but I am not stuck at grub prompt, I think it is not grub prompt as I can't type any thing over there, I get "GRUB" written over there and a "Flashing cursor" that is it, I can't type anything over there and no key is working over there as well only "Ctrl+alt+del" is rebooting the system.

I don't want windows to boot, I just want my AIO to boot properly till menu, so that I can to to Windows Installer and can install any version of Windows on BIOS system and UEFI/EFI systems.

My AIO is working fine on UEFI systems but not booting on BIOS systems.

#46 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

my current problem is booting AIO Windows Installer of GPT disk in Legacy mode. 3rd link is about booting windows in legacy mode which is installed in vhd , I think link 4 is very interesting if you can explain me how can I boot my AIO directly into Clover, as my AIO is not booting in GRUB2 in legacy mode or in BIOS systems, so it is not possible for me to go to clover from grub2. I opened the setting and set Clover as default bootloader in UEFI mode but this is of no use as I want to boot my AIO in legacy mode or on BIOS systems.

Have you already tried following method to Boot into Grub2 menu within from your GPT hard disk in Legacy BIOS mode ? 

Install Grub2 without a boot partition

This is a new feature of AIO Boot v0.9.8.1. It supports installing Grub2 on the GPT hard disk to boot in Legacy BIOS mode without creating a boot partition.

1. Install AIO Boot to a partition on GPT disks.
  2. Run AIOCreator.exe.
  3. Select Install Grub2 (Legacy) from the Tools button. This button only appears when the current hard disk is GPT and the current drive format is FAT32 or NTFS.
    grub2-boot-gpt-in-legacy-bios-without-ue
  4. Please note that you should reinstall Grub2 every time you defragment on this drive.

Good luck!

• nice_guy75 likes this

#47 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

Yes, I did install grub from here, as well as from bootloader but my AIO is not booting on BIOS system.

Do I have to delete that 10mb boot partition and install grub2 from "Tools"?

#48 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:17 AM

Yes, I did install grub from here, as well as from bootloader but my AIO is not booting on BIOS system.

Do I have to delete that 10mb boot partition and install grub2 from "Tools"?

Should try one method at a time ?
Repartition from start and try above method first. if not working then try small boot partition method from starting point. Let us know if both not working for you...

#49 nice_guy75

nice_guy75

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

Should try one method at a time ?
Repartition from start and try above method first. if not working then try small boot partition method from starting point. Let us know if both not working for you...

Ok, I have deleted all the partitions after backing up my AIO drive, repartitioned it in UEFI system. This time I have created first partition of10mb but did not install GRUB2, created second partition of 30 GB (FAT32) and then copied all the files of AIO to this 30GB partition and then ran AIOCreator.exe, went to tools and installed GRUB2 and then tried to boot it in BIOS system, same GRUB text with flashing cursor. But when I tried the same disk on UEFI, it booted into the Clover as earlier I did set Clover as default bootloader in UEFI mode from settings.

Then I installed GRUB2 in 10 mb partition using Bootloader tab of AIO Creator, still the same result, did not boot in BIOS but working fine in UEFI system.

I wish the developer would look at this problem and suggest me a solution.

Edited by nice_guy75, 25 October 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#50 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:00 PM

I wish the developer would look at this problem and suggest me a solution.

Try on his page: https://www.aioboot.com/en/

• nice_guy75 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aio boot, grub4dos, grub2, syslinux, clover, boot usb, bootable usb, boot, boot loaders, boot usb udisk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users