#1 FerrariGuy

FerrariGuy

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:56 AM

Looking for feedback here...

1. What are the tools/techniques you in the community use to develop your scripts while INSIDE the PE environment?

2. How well received / popular would a single script that packages all these tools together in a single script that would make them available inside the PE environment? What would be the etiquette to ensure the various authors would be happy with such an offering?

Here's why I ask: For sheer convenience purposes I have a script that puts several *developer* apps in a "Script Development" category. I found it very annoying to include them as individual files/folders that I had to remember to later remove. They're encoded as part of the script and one can pick and choose which to include in the build. Note that I'm building almost exclusively in Win7PE_SE these days.

My script currently includes:
  • Paraglider's ConvRegToInf (needs .net) for creating registry syntax on the fly inside PE.
  • WinDiff (mostly for checking one registry export VS another to look for differences)
  • An installer for WinMerge (used the same way as WinDiff, but requires the installer script)
  • GetRite (To capture an installation that was done within PE... helps in creating scripts for whatever app
  • Sysinternal's ProcMon (Allows me to watch what a failing application is looking for during a failure)
I also usually test in VMWare with an OS install matching what I'm building so I can freely move files back and forth to test the results.

Possible additions: psExec's reg2WBS, SpyME Tools?, Some sort of free VBS editor, Icon extractor?, ScriptBuilder 5.1?

Again, the idea is to create a script that incorporates tools targeted at making further app-script development easier. Of course encoding the tools in the script makes deploy easy, but also allows the script to get out of date faster. Would it be something the community would regularly use/adjust/update/change?

Thoughts?
  • Brito likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Random suggestions:
Dependency Walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/
Regshot (homepage seemingly dead) http://www.mediafire...gzqradpeq1qkl11
Examdiff (IMHO very handy) http://www.prestosof...dp_examdiff.asp

DUD http://www3.telus.net/_/dud/ (use it renamed as MSJAVA.DLL or something else to avoid dependency walker "to be ignored" errors) http://www.dependenc...er.com/faq.html

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

Process Explorer
WinDbg
AutoIt
WinObj
Some hex editor

#4 FerrariGuy

FerrariGuy

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. When suggesting something though, could you include a brief explanation of how it helps test/build scripts IN the PE environment? What is your technique with said utility?

Although some of these tools could be used for say, forensic work, the idea isn't to build a swiss army knife of cool tools, it's to build a selectable/deselectable script that contains a set of tools that enable both the newbie and veteran alike to more easily get through the difficult process of making something work in PE (to create a script), and/or figuring out why something isn't working in PE.

#5 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

See here simple How-To Make script
http://reboot.pro/14...__fromsearch__1

RegShot v1.8.1
RegShot2 Unicode
Process Explorer
ProcessMonitor
WinMerge
Hexedit

RegCPE found here
EditPlus 3 with (script.stx plugin) syntax highlighting to mimic Winbuilder's here
Dependency Walker script here

#6 FerrariGuy

FerrariGuy

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

I've been working on this on and off when I had time for a couple of weeks. It's still a ways off, but this image illustrates the general idea.

It's kind of a "one-script-to-rule-them-all" downloading and configuring other scripts, directly downloading utilities, and embedding just a few of them directly in the script... A few thousand lines of script at the moment.... Still quite a ways to go... although I'm somewhat worried about its long-term maintainability...

Posted Image

--> Hex Editor:

Posted Image

...etc...

#7 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

Interresting :thumbsup:
List already fully, RegCpe, both regshot, IcoFx

Relative to the previous image, a button "Lauch" (Start) is well to run them also in local (HostOS).

Do you need other script development to build this very helpful Swiss knife ;)

#8 thefuse

thefuse

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

How welcome would it be?.......simply awesome!....I cant tell you the number of times ive pulled my hair out dealing with debugging,registry settings,and all the separate aspects that come with getting software working in PE,AND then the actual script writing for.getting the program neatly in a fully functioning state at startup.An "all in one"script would bring together the different processes into an environment thats not so disjointed to the person trying to write the script.In the past I have learned much from doing things myself,and i firmly believe that experience is priceless.....so i think if you wrote a " Path to App+press button=Script done"would rob the user of learning about scripting,and wouldnt provide enough flexability in general for special requirements,however simply bringing the tools together in one place would add some very needed continuity to the process.....A suggestion i could make is to add some tutorials within the script dealing with the process of how to go about making complex installs that require using several of these tools to get the app going in PE.There are some tutorials around the site here,that deal with how to add reg settings and shortcuts,but what they lack is an overview or "Global View" of HOW TO use the results of the tools used to actually put it all together in the script...I largely had to follow my nose,read the help manual till my eyes hurt, and make mistakes and a few informed guesses till i got things right,What im suggesting is a HUGE undertaking for one person to do,but would be an invaluable partner to your idea of putting these tools together in one script,..its beyond my knowledge to write such a document,but even a semi-noob like myself would be greatly advantaged and can see the need for the addition of tutorial to be included with it......all in all,i think your idea is wonderfull.. the fuse:-)

#9 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Probably the most interesting script I've seen in a long time. Good work!

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

If I may, with all due respect to HxD, I personally find (though now abandoned/ended proeject) Tiny Hexer a better choice, specifically because it allows for scripts and structure viewers.

Related:
http://reboot.pro/8734/

For the record, Tiny Hexer is available at Softpedia:
http://www.softpedia...iny-hexer.shtml

Wonko

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

I use only trackWBInstall
TrackWBInstall has introduced by me some years ago. But it did not find real interest. Therfore the improvements are only done due to my projects. I'm currently not sure whether it works in actual project.

Just to show what it does:
#1: it creates a script like

[main]

Title=User_Install

Selected=False

Level=5

Author=PSC Program 'trackWBInstall'

Version=000

Date=05-Okt-2011

[Variables]

%files%=%ScriptDir%\User_Install.Files

%ProgramFolder%=WinUtilities

%ProgramExe%=AppFileLock.exe,AppAutoShutdown.exe,CloseApps.exe,ToolBHORemover.exe,ToolDiskCleaner.exe,ToolDiskDefrag.exe,ToolDocProtector.exe,ToolFileLock.exe,ToolFileSplitter.exe,ToolFindDuplicate.exe,ToolFixShortcut.exe,ToolHistoryCleaner.exe,ToolMemoryOptimizer.exe,ToolProcessSecurity.exe,ToolRegBackup.exe,ToolRegDefrag.exe,ToolRegistryCleaner.exe,ToolRegistrySearch.exe,ToolSafeUninstall.exe,ToolSchedule.exe,ToolSecureDelete.exe,ToolStartupCleaner.exe,ToolSysControl.exe,ToolSysInfo.exe,ToolUndelete.exe,ToolWinTools.exe,unins000.exe,WinUtil.exe

%ProgramTitle%=WinUtilities

[Interface]

pBevel1=pBevel1,1,12,15,86,482,154

pTextLabel1="Add Shortcuts",1,1,30,102,230,18,9,Bold

pCheckBox1=Desktop,1,3,30,130,200,18,True

pCheckBox2=StartMenu,1,3,30,155,200,18,True

pCheckBox3=AutoStart,1,3,30,180,200,18,True

pCheckBox4=QuickLaunch,1,3,30,205,200,18,True

[Process]

Run,%ScriptFile%,Make-Dirs

Run,%ScriptFile%,Copy-Files

If,%pCheckBox1%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,Desktop

If,%pCheckBox2%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,StartMenu

If,%pCheckBox3%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,AutoStart

If,%pCheckBox4%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,QuickLaunch

[Make-Dirs]

If,NotExistDir,%target_sys%,DirMake,%target_sys%

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\app,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\app

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\dll,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\dll

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons\bmp,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons\bmp

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons\hc_icons,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons\hc_icons

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\language,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\language

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Firefox,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Firefox

If,NotExistDir,"%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Google Chrome",DirMake,"%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Google Chrome"

If,NotExistDir,"%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Internet Explorer",DirMake,"%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Internet Explorer"

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Opera,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Opera

If,NotExistDir,"%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Third-party Applications",DirMake,"%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Third-party Applications"

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Windows,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Windows

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\skin,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\skin

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\sound,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\sound

If,NotExistDir,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\xml,DirMake,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\xml

[Copy-Files]

FileCopy,%files%\minint\System32\*.*,%target_sys%

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\app\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\app

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\dll\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\dll

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\icons\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\icons\bmp\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons\bmp

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\icons\hc_icons\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\icons\hc_icons

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\language\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\language

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Firefox\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Firefox

FileCopy,"%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Google Chrome\*.*","%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Google Chrome"

FileCopy,"%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Internet Explorer\*.*","%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Internet Explorer"

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Opera\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Opera

FileCopy,"%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Third-party Applications\*.*","%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Third-party Applications"

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Windows\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\plugins\Windows

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\skin\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\skin

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\sound\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\sound

FileCopy,%files%\Programme\%ProgramFolder%\xml\*.*,%Target_prog%\%ProgramFolder%\xml

#2:and a collection of files to be copied like:

Datentr„ger in Laufwerk V: ist WinBuilder

Volumeseriennummer: E4AF-6466

Verzeichnis von V:\multiPE\Projects\multiPE\Apps\User_Install.Files

06.10.2011  18:32	<DIR>		  .

06.10.2011  18:32	<DIR>		  ..

05.10.2011  18:09	<DIR>		  minint

05.10.2011  18:09	<DIR>		  Programme

06.10.2011  18:32				 0 trackWBInstall.dit

1 Datei(en)			  0 Bytes

Verzeichnis von V:\multiPE\Projects\multiPE\Apps\User_Install.Files\minint

Anzahl der angezeigten Dateien:

478 Datei(en)	 26.644.760 Bytes

62 Verzeichnis(se), 38.382.133.248 Bytes frei

To use this script for real world, you only have to manually adjust some values.

Sorry, I do not know, how to 'Hide' long parts of code ...

Peter

#12 FerrariGuy

FerrariGuy

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Glad to get some more feedback on this.... I've spent a week away from the script taking out work frustrations by gaming a bit... It will be another week before I'm able to get back to coding this script.

The script is mostly made of up of repeating bits of code --> swapping from config screen to config screen --> downloading & setting up each tool, or downloading someone's script & configuring it so that everything ends up in the same menu, etc. I think by default *everything* is selected, but that'll all be configurable in each config screen (which are pretty basic).

Wonko The Sane,

I really didn't have a *particular* Hex Editor in mind, so I'll look at incorporating your suggestion.

TheFuse,

I think the idea of embedded tutorials is a really nice one... a bit much for the immediate moment, but perhaps as this script grows that can be incorporated. I know that if this thing becomes really useful, at some point it will need community based maintenance... I just wanted a way to easily add/remove *script* tools in one shot. I make WinPE / RE versions for various reasons, and don't always need to permanently embed the tools I used to develop it in the first place.

ChrisR,

I hadn't thought about running these utilities in the host OS... that *might* be just be possible for some of them... I'll put that on the *to do* list.. I may not have that done in version 001. Once v001 is out, I definitely could use the help, and at that point the code will be available for all to view. I plan to included RegCpe, a version or two of RegShot, and IconExtract (all as options), but I had not heard of IcoFX. I'll look it up.

Edited by FerrariGuy, 07 October 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#13 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

I hadn't thought about running these utilities in the host OS... that *might* be just be possible for some of them... I'll put that on the *to do* list.. I may not have that done in version 001. Once v001 is out, I definitely could use the help, and at that point the code will be available for all to view. I plan to included RegCpe, a version or two of RegShot, and IconExtract (all as options), but I had not heard of IcoFX. I'll look it up.

I personally use several of them in my Hostos, but what you propose to do is already very very well, we can wait for version 2, 3 ;)
IcoFx is a nice icon editor, but it's not really a development tools, just for the logo on the script, this is purely optional. The 1.6.4 version here is freeware, Version 2 is now paying.

Thank you in advance for this great toolbox :thumbsup:

#14 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:"Booting and Owning".
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

Bump

Hi FerrariGuy
#1 Just checking back on progress.
#2 Also a new suggestion/addition = uniextract, there is a portable version (uniextract161_noinst)
#3 Offering my assistance to you with writing this script.

Have a Great Day
RoyM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users