#51 dyn5

dyn5
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

sorry double post

Edited by dyn5, 06 August 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#52 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

on my surface pro 3 it's

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{BFD141D6-4BC2-4050-A647-DC57E9244497}

Thanks, dyn5.

This sort of confirms that for each machine, the key is different.

So if someone wants to disable this task, they should first check what their reg key is (the last part).

I'm gonna remove the attachment for now. I updated the script version to v0.8.5 to reflect this change. Nothing in the actual text has changed (yet).

#53 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

Script updated to v0.8.6:

- Added: Disable WiFi Sense (as suggested by pxe - Thanks!).

- Small fixes here and there.

Important:

Edge, Store and Cortana are pre-disabled in Enterprise LTSB, so cannot test tweaks regarding those.

I prefer not to use them, that's why I chose to work with the LTSB version.

Thanks for understanding.

• NetworkPro likes this

#54 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

on my surface pro 3 it's

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\{BFD141D6-4BC2-4050-A647-DC57E9244497}

Welcome to the wonderful world of (senseless) GUID's.

Just like standards  :wub:  I love them GUID's, there are so many of them.  :frusty:

Wild (but somehow educated :dubbio:) guess, but probably scheduled tasks ID's are somehow generated dinamically, see this seemingly unrelated kb:

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2535270

Possibly a script (loosely) similar to this (parsing the Registry):

https://gallery.tech...mpered-c8d2e975

will be needed. :unsure:

:duff:

Wonko

#55 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

Script updated to v0.8.7:

- Added: Reduce the size of your patched Windows OS

You should see a nice improvement of free space on your OS drive.

resetbase.png

• NetworkPro likes this

#56 broodplank

broodplank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

Script updated to v0.8.7:

- Added: Reduce the size of your patched Windows OS

You should see a nice improvement of free space on your OS drive.

resetbase.png

on VM it cleared 100mb (and took 1min)

on my PC it cleared 1gb (and took 30min)

• ericgl likes this

#57 StopSpazzing

StopSpazzing
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

Since Boot-Land, I havent made a single post since move to reboot.pro, I'm going to break my silence.

Have to say, THANKS. I actually used this on fresh copy of Win10 which is the free upgrade from win8.1(not sure the "edition") and most of them work, I will also note, you should stop maps sched events and disable maps update service too(which i assume comes on enterprise).

Thanks again, and maybe someone (or I will) can make this into a c# program (shouldnt be hard) so you can just check boxes and click buttons to enable/disable. :)

#58 broodplank

broodplank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:27 PM

Since Boot-Land, I havent made a single post since move to reboot.pro, I'm going to break my silence.

Have to say, THANKS. I actually used this on fresh copy of Win10 which is the free upgrade from win8.1(not sure the "edition") and most of them work, I will also note, you should stop maps sched events and disable maps update service too(which i assume comes on enterprise).

Thanks again, and maybe someone (or I will) can make this into a c# program (shouldnt be hard) so you can just check boxes and click buttons to enable/disable. :)

I actually did this already partly (the c# app) although it's a console app, I will release it whenever it's ready.

• StopSpazzing likes this

#59 StopSpazzing

StopSpazzing
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:45 PM

I actually did this already partly (the c# app) although it's a console app, I will release it whenever it's ready.

Oh, is the code going to opensource so we can build it, not that I dont trust anyone, but want to learn more c# :)

Edited by StopSpazzing, 06 August 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#60 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

@Mikorsit,

For the most part, you're right. Best protection is from outside the OS, between your PC(s) and the Internet.
But did you see the new section in my script:
Don't allow Windows 10 to repair itself from Windows Update

Should work...

Unanswered question is what happens (we have no idea what we're doing) to 'Windows 10 Pro/Home' owners who try to stop updates installing?

Because the Windows 10 is Service and we agreed to that by accepting the EULA.

I would not be surprised if they  just take off license from me at some time .

Only premium ‘Windows 10 Enterprise’ users can veto updates indefinitely. I'm not that case. I have 'Windows 10 Pro' .

Of course this is 'Windows 10 Enterprise' theme precisely. :loleverybody:

#61 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

broodplank and StopSpazzing,

Thanks for your support.

Good luck with turning this (huge) script into a C# app.

Hopefully there'll be a nice GUI to go along with it.

Cheers  :cheers:

#62 StopSpazzing

StopSpazzing
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:59 AM

Unanswered question is what happens (we have no idea what we're doing) to 'Windows 10 Pro/Home' owners who try to stop updates installing?

Because the Windows 10 is Service and we agreed to that by accepting the EULA.

I would not be surprised if they  just take off license from me at some time .

Only premium ‘Windows 10 Enterprise’ users can veto updates indefinitely. I'm not that case. I have 'Windows 10 Pro' .

Of course this is 'Windows 10 Enterprise' theme precisely. :loleverybody:

If you disable the windows update service, other than allowing exploitable holes in your system that would be well known from being patched increasing your likelihood of being hacked, nothing will happen. You do agree to getting updates automatically if it is on and you have no choice in that if service is enabled. There is no terms if you disable the service. :)

• ericgl likes this

#63 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

About Windows Update, I see that you leave the updates fully automatic.
To receive only notifications about the updates and download nothing automatically, we can add:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

The GUI may not notice the change immediately, even after a reboot, but in fact, if you restart the system or the wuauserv service, the changes will still be taken in account. We can also just use "net stop wuauserv" before these 2 commands.
So you can just ignore the GUI.

By the way, it seems that this trick can also be used on Windows 10 Pro (but I didn't checked that).

#64 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

v77,

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Script updated to v0.8.8.

- Small fixes

- Now in PDF format.

I've decided to publish the script in PDF format.

I separated the sections, so it should be easier to understand. 

Hope you guys like it this way.

PDF attached to this post.

Alternative link (Mega).

Attached Files

• NetworkPro likes this

#65 Cohen

Cohen
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:04 PM

Greetings,

I wanted to thank you for your effort with the script. You’ve done really good job.

I have been executing it line by line (not everything fits for me, but a lot of stuff did)!

So I have noticed some little things that probably needs to be fixed:

1. When deleting the libraries you are working with Win10user
*** Remove Music, Pictures & Videos from Libraries ***
del "C:\Users\Win10user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.library-ms"
del "C:\Users\Win10user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Pictures.library-ms"
del "C:\Users\Win10user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.library-ms"

it would be better not to specify the user and use the variable %username%:

REM *** Remove Music, Pictures & Videos from Libraries ***
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.library-ms"
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Pictures.library-ms"
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.library-ms"
  1. I noticed a little TYPO in RED_DWORD instead of REG_DWORD here:
*** Show compressed NTFS files in a different color in Explorer ***
REM *** 0 = Black (same as non-compressed files) ***
REM *** 1 = Blue [default] ***
reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "ShowCompColor" /t
RED_DWORD /d 1 /f

Probably I am forgetting something … but if it comes to my mind, I’ll be notify you.

And again, great THANK YOU!

• NetworkPro likes this

#66 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Cohen,

Thanks for reporting the bugs.

I'll fix ASAP.

Released v0.8.9, with fixes for what Cohen reported.

Download link (MEGA).

• NetworkPro likes this

#67 franner

franner
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:46 PM

I would even suggest another variable instead of:

C:\Users\%username%

use

%userprofile%

some other variables can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia...#Default_values

I haven't used the script, thou it looks very nice and interesting.

Edited by franner, 07 August 2015 - 05:48 PM.

• ericgl likes this

#68 broodplank

broodplank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

I would even suggest another variable instead of:

C:\Users\%username%

use

%userprofile%

some other variables can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia...#Default_values

I haven't used the script, thou it looks very nice and interesting.

You are right, it's best to use as much variables as possible. not all people have windows on C:/ for example.

All variables that are set in Windows 10 can be found by typing 'set' in cmd.

my output is this:

C:\Windows\system32>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\Flo\AppData\Roaming
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=PRO
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Flo
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Flo\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\PRO
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=4
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Users\Flo\.dnx\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft DNX\Dnvm\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Extractor;C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Extractor\bin
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0, AuthenticAMD
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=21
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0200
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\;C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoItX
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
SCITE_USERHOME=C:\Users\Flo\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\Flo\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\Flo\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=PRO
USERDOMAIN_ROAMINGPROFILE=PRO
USERNAME=Flo
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Flo
VS140COMNTOOLS=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\
windir=C:\Windows

#69 broodplank

broodplank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

Guys, here is another one, it's an old one, still from Windows 7, but tested and works. It's speeds up the shutdown/restart process significantly.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="1000"
"AutoEndTasks"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000"

You can remove AutoEndTasks if you want it to be less "forced"

edit: sorry double post

Edited by broodplank, 07 August 2015 - 06:55 PM.

#70 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

Guys, here is another one, it's an old one, still from Windows 7, but tested and works. It's speeds up the shutdown/restart process significantly.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="1000"
"AutoEndTasks"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000"

You can remove AutoEndTasks if you want it to be less "forced"

edit: sorry double post

This kind of trick speeds up nothing. It just kills sooner process and services that take much time to close themselves. In some cases, this can lead to data loss.
The default value for WaitToKillServiceTimeout in Windows 8/8.1 is 5000 (12000 in Windows 7). 5000 is considered by many developers as very short, so you should not go below than that.

About WaitToKillAppTimeout, given the changes made in Vista for applications that need to handle the system shutdown, and the fact that this value does no longer exist by default in Vista, I doubt that this value has any effect on recent systems.

#71 broodplank

broodplank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

This kind of trick speeds up nothing. It just kills sooner process and services that take much time to close themselves. In some cases, this can lead to data loss.
The default value for WaitToKillServiceTimeout in Windows 8/8.1 is 5000 (12000 in Windows 7). 5000 is considered by many developers as very short, so you should not go below than that.

About WaitToKillAppTimeout, given the changes made in Vista for applications that need to handle the system shutdown, and the fact that this value does no longer exist by default in Vista, I doubt that this value has any effect on recent systems.

It certainly does speed up the process. as it kills everything instead of waiting, indeed this can lead to data loss if shutdown is called when you haven't saved anything. but other than that it's safe. I have always used it since windows xp, and I love it.

I guess opinions on this are very different. I like it fast, and I don't shutdown/restart my pc accidentally, so it fits met well. But it's indeed not recommended for average pc users.

#72 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:54 PM

It certainly does speed up the process. as it kills everything instead of waiting, indeed this can lead to data loss if shutdown is called when you haven't saved anything. but other than that it's safe. I have always used it since windows xp, and I love it.

I guess opinions on this are very different. I like it fast, and I don't shutdown/restart my pc accidentally, so it fits met well. But it's indeed not recommended for average pc users.

No, it's not safe at all. And you prove it yourself: if your system shutdowns sooner, it's because you kill services that were doing something.
Killing a process is never safe.

If you don't care about your data or the system stability, you can also just unplug the power source. In most cases, the system will restart without issue. If you are lucky (and it seems you are), it can even be the case during several years.
Give it a try! It's even faster than your current method.

By the way, I have found out that in Windows 8 or 8.1 (not sure which one of them), WaitToKillServiceTimeout is hard coded. Changing the value in the registry has no effect on the time that a service has at shutdown. I should retest that for Windows 10...
Anyway, I assume in the tools I develop that we have at least 5 seconds. If a user wants to lose its data, it's not my problem. But I cannot let someone to say that it's safe to put these values to 1000. It's not my personal opinion, it's a fact.

#73 aizuon

aizuon
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:44 AM

reg add "HKLM\COMPONENTS\DerivedData\Components\amd64_microsoft-windowsc..lemetry.lib.cortana_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_40ba2ec3d03bceb0" /v "f!dss-winrttelemetry.js" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

not working there is a possible error in "windowsc..lemetry.lib.cortana"

#74 broodplank

broodplank

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

No, it's not safe at all. And you prove it yourself: if your system shutdowns sooner, it's because you kill services that were doing something.
Killing a process is never safe.

If you don't care about your data or the system stability, you can also just unplug the power source. In most cases, the system will restart without issue. If you are lucky (and it seems you are), it can even be the case during several years.
Give it a try! It's even faster than your current method.

By the way, I have found out that in Windows 8 or 8.1 (not sure which one of them), WaitToKillServiceTimeout is hard coded. Changing the value in the registry has no effect on the time that a service has at shutdown. I should retest that for Windows 10...
Anyway, I assume in the tools I develop that we have at least 5 seconds. If a user wants to lose its data, it's not my problem. But I cannot let someone to say that it's safe to put these values to 1000. It's not my personal opinion, it's a fact.

Ok. lol removing power from pc does actually damage the components, especially corrupts harddisk terribly over time. the method I posted is way more sane than removing power. anyways, ill just use the 5000 timeout, please don't continue the discussion on this.. You are right. just never experienced problems myself over time.

Anyways somewhat offtopic, but ok, This night I have been building a tool that allows you to clean every windows 10 iso.

I have only done the first 2 tabs of the app so far. so that's all I'll show. but so far it works perfectly.

p34zB64.png
(buttons all set to enable on purpose for screenshot, in app it's actually set to enable/disable depending on state)

ipsQC01.png
(here as well, GUI will show the state of the packages, "not found" or "removed" if needed)

Oh and yes I know there are tons of tools like these already. except so far none is really focused on Windows 10 only.

This tool obviously will be only focused on Windows 10 and allows you to perform specific windows 10 tasks

Additionally I also want to implement registry tweaks, since I have found recently how to mount a reg hive from a wim I can now add this as well.

reg add "HKLM\COMPONENTS\DerivedData\Components\amd64_microsoft-windowsc..lemetry.lib.cortana_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_40ba2ec3d03bceb0" /v "f!dss-winrttelemetry.js" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

not working there is a possible error in "windowsc..lemetry.lib.cortana"

Yes this is caused because it's shorten like URLS. it's critical for scripts like these.

Edited by broodplank, 08 August 2015 - 06:22 AM.

• NetworkPro likes this

#75 NetworkPro

NetworkPro
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Here's the .reg file to fix Folder Rename in Windows 10: http://pastebin.com/BGhggeM0

It restores the entire FolderDescriptions as Microsoft released them

The .reg doesn't merge some entries due to access problems but still fixes the Renaming issue.

Edited by NetworkPro, 08 August 2015 - 10:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10, windows 10, script, tweaks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users