#1 bleeding_me

bleeding_me
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

Hello friends...

I searched the forum for this and i didn't came up with a specific answer, so i decided to create this topic..

I hope I am creating this in the right section...if not, please forgive me.

Right now I have Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.8 and I have created a Virtual Machine running Windows XP .

I have a Western Digital External Hard Drive with 640GB, and my idea was to put the virtual machine in this HD and run it from the HD. The problem is I don't find a program that can run the VM without having to install the program (because many computers that i use, i don't have admin rights to install). I have tried VirtualBox 3 (and i think i did it right) but it didn't work :ph34r:..

Is this possible? And is there any App to do this ?

Thanx in advance for the time you spent reading the topic,

Bleeding_me

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

Try using Portable Virtualbox :ph34r:

http://www.vbox.me/

;)
Wonko

#3 bleeding_me

bleeding_me
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Try using Portable Virtualbox :ph34r:

http://www.vbox.me/

;)
Wonko

Yeah that was the one i tried...but didn't work...couldn't even start the program...maybe i did something wrong :S

#4 sanbarrow

sanbarrow

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

Virtualbox runs fine from PE - if you use MOA or Wimbs PE3-64 you do not even need to change your build - you only need a small batch to start it from USB

in the sanbarrow.com forum I have several howtos for various versions

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:21 AM

You need a platform to launch it from (PE/OS), LiveXP works well, boots from usb-hdd and takes up only 80-100MB. I just updated and tested VB328 portable in new (official) LiveXP and all works well :ph34r:
Posted Image

Be sure to up your base memory in VM for booting PE's or large OS's to avoid out of virtual mem/page file issues :cheers:

VBox328_Port (fixed link)

:cheers:

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

New version, single exe runs in PE or Windows :worship:
VBox3212_Port

:worship:

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Very cool, thanks for the update.

#8 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hello friends...

The problem is I don't find a program that can run the VM without having to install the program (because many computers that i use, i don't have admin rights to install). I have tried VirtualBox 3 (and i think i did it right) but it didn't work :worship:..

Hi bleeding_me, as far as I know, there is no program yet to start virtual machines without admin rights, even portable virtual box needs admin rights to start, although the concept of portables is to work with them without that privilege, but it fails anyway to start, not even the modified version of amalux mentioned in his reply above would work :
Posted Image

Posted Image

The only way to start a virtual machine with no admin rights is by doing that offline, means using any PE/OS or LiveXP or MOA, but if you are working from a corporate PC, I doubt that you can even restart your working PC to start your virtual machine offline.

regards

#9 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

Amalux, could you tell me why the links go to mediafire instead of to VB site?

Is it a file/exe that cannot be gotten from VB site ?

Or something has been done to it to make it work as a single exe?

Please pardon this VM-newbie who has yet to download/install/run a VM even once....but is very interested in learning to do so, and doing so.

Note that on dialup, sites like mediafire, RS, et al, are essentially impossible to get files from which are larger than a couple hours download-time (i.e., >20-50mb), because they cruelly refuse to support 'resume'.

Thus, for those of us outside cities, with only dialup, we have no choice but to get the larger files (VB is -hundreds- of mb, yes?) from mfg's site, where DL can be resumed each evening for several days, until complete.

Perhaps there might be a small file that will make a 'standard' portable-VB from the VB site into the 'single exe' you've posted to mediafire?

thank you so much :worship:

#10 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Amalux, could you tell me why the links go to mediafire instead of to VB site?

@ grubstake

I think that what you can download from Portable VB site is only a "starter/loader" which, in turn, will download the official application from Oracle.

I suppose that from the Amalux' link you'll download the portable application already worked out and ready to run.

#11 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

ahhh.....too bad I cannot get it and appreciate Amalux's work and skill.

As noted, it is not a matter of 'choice', but a matter of IMPOSSIBLE, to get multi-hundred MB file over dialup from 'file-store' sites. No resume = no get :worship:

Thus my question (see earlier post) as to WHAT was done to 'stock' VB to produce this single-exe amazement. So that the many people who cannot get the finished file from mediafire could yet still enjoy and appreciate Amalux's fine creation.

Is clear now I hope.... :frusty:

#12 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

@ grubstake and ambralivio..the link of amalux works fine..but u seem both didnt read jamal's reply above..he seems 2 downloaded and tested already amalux new file..but didnt work..c the pics also above for ur conveniance.thx

#13 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

hello MoD, and thanks for posting.

I didn't recall Jamal saying it didn't work, so I just re-read his post...

...and indeed he did not say the file was bad. What he said was that one could not start a VM without having admin rights.

As I would be running the VM on my own laptop, I'll have admin rights.

huh....looking at Amalux's pic again has raised a different question in my mind tho....will this even run on -XP- ?? Everyone seems to be on win7 now....but I only want to run XP.

Well, I will have to study the VB site pages a bit more....but that must wait....as I must first get this laptop updated from win2K to XP. After that, I can worry about getting a VM running and other luxuries...

thanks again for taking the time to write MoD :worship:

#14 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

I didn't recall Jamal saying it didn't work, so I just re-read his post...
...and indeed he did not say the file was bad. What he said was that one could not start a VM without having admin rights.
thanks again for taking the time to write MoD :worship:

@ grubstake..yes jamal didnt say the file doesnt work or download as ambralivio mentioned..but he assured that it does not work on pcs without admin rights..and thats the concern of the original post by bleeding_me..thnx

#15 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

I understand......thank you again MoD.

ps; be careful....you've lost your grip on the hammer, and I think it's about to hit you on the head... :worship:

#16 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:28 AM

I understand......thank you again MoD.

ps; be careful....you've lost your grip on the hammer, and I think it's about to hit you on the head... :worship:

LOL..thnx..am doing fine..solid grip..am living up with my nick name so well so far.. :worship:

#17 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:33 AM

OK, lot's of speculation, here's some facts :lol:

(from original post)

I have a Western Digital External Hard Drive with 640GB, and my idea was to put the virtual machine in this HD and run it from the HD. The problem is I don't find a program that can run the VM without having to install the program (because many computers that i use, i don't have admin rights to install). I have tried VirtualBox 3 (and i think i did it right) but it didn't work :worship:..

(my response)

You need a platform to launch it from (PE/OS), LiveXP works well, boots from usb-hdd and takes up only 80-100MB.

There is no issue of admin rights in PE :ph34r:

@grubstake

The portable file is 47MB, the official site (non-portable) is 75MB :frusty:

The VBox portable I offered requires no install and works from any OS I've tested, including XP and Win7 x86/x64. Works fine in LiveXP but not in Win7PE, something missing from Win7PE :worship:

Screenshot of VBox portable in LiveXP running full XP :smart:
Posted Image

--
p.s. On the download issue, there are many third party 'download managers' available (but none I could recommend as I don't use them). I would be willing to break up download into smaller parts, say 10MB each, would this help?

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hi bleeding_me, as far as I know, there is no program yet to start virtual machines without admin rights,

Just a comment, QEmu runs fine without admin permissions.

It is also fully portable and the package uses only 3 Mb of overall size when slimmed down.

#19 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:17 AM

It is also fully portable and the package uses only 3 Mb of overall size when slimmed down.

wish some1 do us a tutoral on how 2 use Qemu..i just hear of it and simplu donno how 2 use it :frusty: i expect some1 show me a tutoral not links 2 nonsece links..thnx ahead :worship:

#20 Just_A_Novice

Just_A_Novice

• Advanced user
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Booting Technologies<br />Networking<br />Programming<br />PC Repair<br />PC Forensics<br />Unique Batch Scripting<br />Cisco Technologies<br />PC Mods &amp; Custom Builds<br />Vulnerability Penetration Testing<br />Technology Enthusiasts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

Qemu is a great program I agree and I love its portability. But I'm concerned about how when it executes a command line window to be opened and ran. Configuration for Qemu inside the batch file is not to bad as well. However if it is a corporate PC system it might be a strong possibility that the Network Admin doesn't allow commands to be executed or batch files to be ran. Just a thought. :worship:

#21 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

Qemu is a great program I agree and I love its portability. But I'm concerned about how when it executes a command line window to be opened and ran. Configuration for Qemu inside the batch file is not to bad as well. However if it is a corporate PC system it might be a strong possibility that the Network Admin doesn't allow commands to be executed or batch files to be ran. Just a thought. :worship:

ur right very much..so u agree on prevously said by me nd jamal b4 that no program is ever available 2 bypass adminrights and start a virual machine..the only way is to offline do it by any bootable PE or similar. :worship:

#22 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:29 AM

wish some1 do us a tutoral on how 2 use Qemu..i just hear of it and simplu donno how 2 use it :worship: i expect some1 show me a tutoral not links 2 nonsece links..thnx ahead :worship:

Qemu Manager is the simplest way, here's a portable of version 4.0 (I don't like later versions): QemuMgr40.exe

Quick tut for launching ISO (in this case LiveXP):
Posted Image
Posted Image

:frusty:

#23 Master of Disaster

Master of Disaster

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Monaco

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:33 AM

very great amalux..can u plz post a tutoral from start2finish..from download --install--use..so every1 knows how 2 use qemu..sertanly many many want this tutoral..appresiat this :worship:

#24 grubstake

grubstake

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:40 AM

@grubstake

The portable file is 47MB, the official site (non-portable) is 75MB :lol:

The VBox portable I offered requires no install and works from any OS I've tested, including XP and Win7 x86/x64. Works fine in LiveXP but not in Win7PE, something missing from Win7PE :worship:

:frusty:

--
p.s. On the download issue, there are many third party 'download managers' available (but none I could recommend as I don't use them). I would be willing to break up download into smaller parts, say 10MB each, would this help?

Amalux, thanks for saying the file-size. It would be great if 'file size' was info that everyone would always include in any post. I know it makes no difference to all the city-dwellers amongst us, but it makes a very BIG difference to the rural folks.

Download Managers: yes, I use FDM, aka "Free Download Manager". It is a generally excellent program. However, the problem with resuming is NOT on my end, but on the -server- end, fyi. The vast majority of those free file-hosters do NOT support 'resume'.

I very much appreciate your offer to split the file up Amalux...very kind! However, since I am still some time away from trying and learning VM's, I shall not ask you to spend that time. I have no doubt that you will be playing some more with VB and modifying your adaptations again and again... :ph34r:

So I will ask for a 'rain-check', ok? When I -am- ready to try my first VM, then I shall ask you to split your 'latest and greatest' version. :worship:

grubstake

#25 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:07 AM

So I will ask for a 'rain-check', ok? When I -am- ready to try my first VM, then I shall ask you to split your 'latest and greatest' version. :worship:

No problem, always here to help any way I can :worship:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users