#1 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

its 4 or more weeks since the last test version of winbuilder 82 was published. The final version was promised the following week but is still yet to appear. When may we expect the final version?

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

Hello,

You can grab the final version here: http://reboot.pro/fi...e/4-winbuilder/

There wasn't a big announcement cause we might still get some report of little details in need of correction and need to update binary.

:)

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Hello,

You can grab the final version here: http://reboot.pro/fi...e/4-winbuilder/

There wasn't a big announcement cause we might still get some report of little details in need of correction and need to update binary.

So it's not "final" is "tentative release #x" with not even a hint of the approximate value of "x" :whistling:

:cheers:
Wonko

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Winbuilder follows its own standard definition of "final"

Spoiler

:)

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

So it's not "final" is "tentative release #x" with not even a hint of the approximate value of "x" :whistling:

Wonko

Maybe you know the James Bond Movie titled (my translation, the English title may be different) "Never say Never"

Comparable: No "Final" is "For Ever". It is for (propably) long time.

Peter :smart:

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

Sorry double post. :blush:
d@mn board software. :realmad:

Wonko

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

Winbuilder follows its own standard definition of "final"

Sure. :thumbup:

The implied suggestion was ;):

Wait a few (latin) days before assuming that that one is the "final" version.

Always check the TO-DO-list:
Spoiler

Maybe you know the James Bond Movie titled (my translation, the English title may be different) "Never say Never"

Is it the one with ;):
Spoiler

Naah, that one was Goldfinger... :dubbio:

Wonko

#8 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

Only way to find bugs is to get new people to use it. Those of us who have been using the 82 test versions have probably found all the bugs we are going to find.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

Yes, I agree with your comment. Currently I am happy with the current 082 edition and I think we can settle with the current binary to start addressing in version 083 the reported defects.

#10 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Glad to hear there is going to be a 083 version. I had thought version 082 may be the last version using the Borland compiler.

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

See me confused!

Where did you get your assumption that 083 will be compiled with borland?

Peter

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Glad to hear there is going to be a 083 version. I had thought version 082 may be the last version using the Borland compiler.

As was said some time ago, the winbuilder engine will remain as the winbuilder engine.

What we can do is provide services on top of the engine that are powered, say, by Java. Neither of these changes are over night or written in stone. We move and test each step to see if the results are good or not.

#13 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Yes, I agree with your comment. Currently I am happy with the current 082 edition and I think we can settle with the current binary to start addressing in version 083 the reported defects.

I'm not. the PackParm command is still broken. which is a serious setback in the progress I"m trying to make on a script as well as breaking some functionality in the CAPI

other than that I haven't seen anymore serious problems. A few random instances where moving interface components doesn't save and reverts to the old positions but I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the behavior yet.

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

I'm not. the PackParm command is still broken. which is a serious setback in the progress I"m trying to make on a script as well as breaking some functionality in the CAPI

other than that I haven't seen anymore serious problems. A few random instances where moving interface components doesn't save and reverts to the old positions but I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the behavior yet.

Send me an example where PackParam fails. I was sure that it has been fixed.

Peter

#15 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:47 PM

Send me an example where PackParam fails. I was sure that it has been fixed.

Peter

re-downloaded 82.0.1.0 and now it is working...the download I did yesterday still showed 82.0.0.15

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

That are good news!

But now bad news: There is also a bug in GetParam :frusty:

Until next release it can be worked-around by using StrFormat:

[process]

Run,%ScriptFile%,Pack,1,2,something with space,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13

[pack]

PackParam,1,%packed%

GetParam,3,%Value%

Echo,%Value%

StrFormat,SPLIT,%packed%,#$c,3,%Value%

Echo,%Value%

Log 082:
Run - Processing section: [Pack] From file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\multiPE\CodeBox.txt]
file:///V:/multiPE/Pictures/parameter.gif with parameters: [1],[2],[something with space],[4],[5],[6],[7],[8],[9],[10],[11],[12],[13]
file:///V:/multiPE/Pictures/accept.gif PackParam - Sucessfuly changed the value of [%packed%] to: [1,2,something with space,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13]
file:///V:/multiPE/Pictures/accept.gif GetParam - Sucessfuly changed the value of [3] to: [something with space]
file:///V:/multiPE/Pictures/info.gif %Value%
file:///V:/multiPE/Pictures/accept.gif StrFormat - converted [SPLIT(1,2,something with space,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,,)] to variable: [%Value%] with result: [something with space]
file:///V:/multiPE/Pictures/info.gif something with space
Run - Processed section [Pack] in file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\multiPE\CodeBox.txt]

Log 080:
Run - Processing section: [Pack] From file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\multiPE\CodeBox.txt]
Posted Image with parameters: [1],[2],[something with space],[4],[5],[6],[7],[8],[9],[10],[11],[12],[13]
Posted Image PackParam - Sucessfuly changed the value of [%packed%] to: ["1","2","something#$swith#$sspace","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","13"]
Posted Image GetParam - Sucessfuly changed the value of [%Value%] to: [something#$swith#$sspace]
Posted Image something with space
Posted Image StrFormat - converted [SPLIT(%packed%,,,3)] to variable: [%Value%] with result: [something with space]
Posted Image something with space
Run - Processed section [Pack] in file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\multiPE\CodeBox.txt]

Peter

#17 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

I crashed Winbuilder v82.0.0.15 by encoding an unsupported .png logo into a script using Paraglider's excellent WinBuilder WBZipMgr Utility. It took me a while to figure out what had happened. I was near to be finished with my build and the whole thing just locked up solid when it hit that script. I had to reboot my system. I replaced the logo with another image and had no problems. Is there a way for that not to happen?

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

WinBuilder provides a way to add a logo to a script.

When you use an external app, to change an actual open WinBuilder script, IMO it is not in the responsibility of WinBuilder what happens then.

Peter

BTW: Current WB version is 82.0.1.0

#19 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

I agree. Its a bug in my program. It should not let you add a png file. Only supported types are jpg, gif, icon, emf, wmf.

However winbuilder should not hang. It should give an error.

#20 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

@Nuno,

Must have misunderstood what you wrote earlier then. I thought you said winbuilder was being rewritten in Java.

#21 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

@Nuno,

Must have misunderstood what you wrote earlier then. I thought you said winbuilder was being rewritten in Java.

thats what I understood as well.

#22 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

I think it is a lot like trying to build a new race car while still running the race...You can either try to build a totally new car - OR - replace bits and pieces until eventually all the parts have been replaced...

As long as end user experience is OK, either is fine with me.

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I think it is a lot like trying to build a new race car while still running the race...You can either try to build a totally new car - OR - replace bits and pieces until eventually all the parts have been replaced...

Actually with race cars the really difficult part is hide the new technologies used, confuse competitors and observers, drop casual comments to deceive them, all things that the good guys coding Winbuilder do perfectly well! :clap: ;)

As long as end user experience is OK, either is fine with me.

Ditto as above! :good:

Wonko

#24 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

I agree. Its a bug in my program. It should not let you add a png file. Only supported types are jpg, gif, icon, emf, wmf.

However winbuilder should not hang. It should give an error.

Then place this thought as a request at the appropriate forum section.

thats what I understood as well.

What I wrote at the time can be found here:
http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__129080

It says nothing about 083 being exclusively in Java:

In September 2011 (or sooner), a new platform using this concept of web services and asynchrony will be made available. The next version of Winbuilder around December 2011 will feature basic integration with this platform. Slowly we'll begin the transition to Java to ensure that past works remain functional.

Perhaps now more people also understand why I am so worried about seeing a really well structured API, it eases the porting of apps scripts to other platforms and projects that are not available today, instead of forcing everyone to rewrite them later.

The new web based Java platform was introduced in June (remedium), last week we introduced the concept of download portal web service to host app scripts. PSC is already working on a tool to interact with the new portal as we speak. On the same post I describe that winbuilder will be open to web requests so that other tools can fetch important details like the log of the ongoing project and/or set variables at running projects.

The dates are indicative, other factors might slow down or speed up the date of delivery for the planned features.

#25 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

What I wrote at the time can be found here:
http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__129080

It says nothing about 083 being exclusively in Java:

I don't remember anybody specifically saying it would be in the next version (083)
but the quote:

Last but not least, there also plans for moving the WinBuilder engine from Delphi/Windows to the OS agnostic Java platform. It is of our best interest to only adopt new functionalities not tied to Windows from here forward while transitioning the current features to a platform agnostic state that can continue running in future years without worries.

One note of advice, these are plans for the upcoming years.

In September 2011 (or sooner), a new platform using this concept of web services and asynchrony will be made available. The next version of Winbuilder around December 2011 will feature basic integration with this platform. Slowly we'll begin the transition to Java to ensure that past works remain functional.

does say that you hope to migrate Winbuilder completely from Delphi to Java in the distant future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users