• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

CDBurnerXP http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ has gone Non-commercial. From the web page they mention ads from Google or Amazon as well. I'm not sure if this means banner advertisements in the program or what. I was not able to burn an ISO file either in the newest version. This could be a bug or I just don't understand the interface changes enough. Either way, FileHippo still has the older free for personal AND commercial use versions for download.

http://www.filehippo...oad_cdburnerxp/

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

I haven't been using it because it passed to the .NET platform and it bothers me a bit to install .NET on older machines.

Been using ImgBurn instead and quite happy with it.

And btw, we are no longer using donations to finance CDBurnerXP, but a couple of ads from Google and Amazon instead. So if you want to support us, preferably you buy stuff from Amazon coming from our website (links are located at the top right in the menu and in the sidebar on the left). If all goes well, this allows me to devote much more time to CDBurnerXP which will greatly help to improve CDBurnerXP's overall quality.

The author mentions that no donations are used but will take advantage of ads placed on the website.

:)

#3 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hi Moon & Nuno :) ,

Why not go portable?

If anyone likes CDBURNERXP PRO here's a link to a portable version (& Freeware):
http://www.divshare....oad/2643890-764

I Luv this product, not sure about the implications in respect of advertisement though

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy :) (By the way Luv the new emotions!)

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

I simply cannot see anything I use missing from IMGBURN, which already is (by design) fully and utterly portable, to the point that it can be used in the Selfburning projects:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4398

Can anyone share any thought on what feature CDBurnerXP has that IMGBURN may miss? :)

jaclaz

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

I'm with Nuno on this. .Net no thank you!

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Can anyone share any thought on what feature CDBurnerXP has that IMGBURN may miss? :)

jaclaz

I know CDBurnerXP for longer than ImgBurn even thought I don't really know which product has been published first.

The difference might have been a question of marketing - the first thing I really liked about CDBurnerXP was that it presented itself as a freeware alternative to Nero Burning ROM and had a similar friendly UI which made the transition somewhat easy (I had been using Nero since 1997).

ImgBurn - the first time I tried it - seemed like a geek thing where I assumed you needed to know a lot about computers and such as it presented so many functions that had no apparent sense for a casual PC user such as myself.

Things have changed now.

XP has been utterly replaced with Vista, they've adopted the .NET platform and the software became somewhat buggy during this transition and that was likely the turning point to think about other options.

Still a lot of download sites recommend CDBurnerXP mostly because they assume the same reality I described from a few years ago and a massive ammount of users are lead towards this product.

Maybe this sort of reasoning has some substance but it's mostly a speculation from what I see and nothing else.

------

ImgBurn improved a lot and has a "newbie" start menu perspective to ease explaining what to do first, it is extremely stable from all perspectives (saved me a couple of times where other CD/DVD burners let me down) and still very small sized / portable.

The UI interaction is at all times very fluid with a lot of human readable messages and one can learn very quickly how it can be used.

I specially like the cache feature from ImgBurn because it helps producing more reliable DVD's when using very cheap DVD media - I have the impression that imgburn was mostly designed and tested for a "heavy" user who requires stable results above the rest.

Maybe someday CDBurnerXP can regain it's former glory. (or reappear simply as Media Burner)

#7 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi All :) ,

I turned to CDBurnerXP from Roxio! Roxio, although a very polished product for me turned into Mr bloatware so I looked for an alternative, I tried Nero & could never get on with it my living room turned into coaster city & I didn't like the interface wouldn't use it if it was freeware!

Anyway found CDBurnerXP it had all the familiarity & ergonomics of Roxio, similair interface & Yipee was freeware. Have used it ever since although historical it has had problems with boot media if memory serves me right.

I have to admit sadly my motivation for it was purely "eye candy" in heinsight but for me it did what I needed at the time.

However I will be guided by you guys & your recommendations, Jaclaz I will give imgburn a whirl, I Luv portable software as you know & yes less (size) means more as they say!

General chit chat over for now

Regards & Respect,

ispy :) (I really Luv this emotion Nuno, I could never do this "dancing like an Egyptian" it used to put my neck out of joint & I looked more like a pigeon legging it after eating a bar of laxative chocolate, LOL!

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:40 PM

ispy :) (I really Luv this emotion Nuno, I could never do this "dancing like an Egyptian" it used to put my neck out of joint & I looked more like a pigeon legging it after eating a bar of laxative chocolate, LOL!

If you want I can submit your post in the contest for "most gratuitious use on a technical board of the sentence dancing like an Egyptian year 2008 award". (there are far better submissions for the similar "laxative bar" contest :))

You should win hands down. :)

Have you ever seen an actual Egyptian dance like that? :)

I mean are you THAT old?

jaclaz

#9 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hi Jaclaz :)

YES I am that old (you Age'ist!) & what about excessive use of a single smiley contest :) I think Nuno is already regretting putting these new smileys up to use!

So you do not remember the "Bangles" then? The "dancing like an Egyptian" is incorect also it should be as the lyrics of the song state:

All the cops in the donut shop say
Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh
Walk like an Egyptian
Walk like an Egyptian

Anyway, I have Downloaded Imgburn & intend to try it out shortly looks like a kewl tewl!

Reason for edit to many smileys

Regards & Respect,

ispy :) (Sorry! couldn't resist one last go!)

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Cannot say about Nuno, but definitely you won't find paraglider's approval! :)
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5016
http://www.boot-land...topic=5016&st=1

jaclaz

#11 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hi Jaclaz (note No Smiley!),

Oop's you may have a point, I do not want to offend anyone previous post amended/toned down!

Appologies paraglider!

ispy (Thumbs up!)

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

Seems a bit wrong to police the use of emoticons by other fellow members and so far they have always seemed to have been used in a very polite and funny sense on the forums so no worries by me whatsoever.

Sometimes a lot of words simply don't compare to an emoticon applied inside a discussion context.

These little images also reveal a bit of the personality of each member as unique.

You identify yourself at the moment with the :(

Jaclaz oftens uses: :) ;) :)

Peter likes :) or :( and :)

MedEvil is more of ;) and :(

TheHive uses sometimes :) :) :ph34r: :(

Thunn: :)

And I almost always sign with a :) instead of my name on the end of a topic reply.

For me it's the same as saying: Be happy, that's what matters.

#13 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

For me it's the same as saying: Be happy, that's what matters.

..and remember that this is a RULE, #12 to be exact:

12. SMILE! :) Life is tough, we all know that, when you enter this board, it will be appreciated that you leave your personal problems behind, asking and replyinq questions or however exchanging informations with a "positive" attitude, TAKE IT EASY :) and enjoy your stay here.

....also, remember that I am "legally" entitled, by enforcing the above mentioned Rule, to kick you off the board, if you behave too much seriously...:)

jaclaz

#14 felix

felix

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Sports
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

..and remember that this is a RULE, #12 to be exact:

....also, remember that I am "legally" entitled, by enforcing the above mentioned Rule, to kick you off the board, if you behave too much seriously...:)

jaclaz

haha smells like mutination ( :) can't describe this on words)
I say we make him food for fish ( lol )
can I get his stuff once he's out of the "board" ? ( lol )
anyway back on topic I too think that CDBurnerXP felt a little "heavy" once it jumped on .NET's side.
@ ispy
I recommend ImgBurn too as it's very reliable.
been playing with it since it came out.
latest version is rock-solid though I miss Nero's multisession and on-the-fly audio burning.

#15 ???

???
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

I simply cannot see anything I use missing from IMGBURN, which already is (by design) fully and utterly portable, to the point that it can be used in the Selfburning projects:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4398

Can anyone share any thought on what feature CDBurnerXP has that IMGBURN may miss? :cheers:

jaclaz

Can you clone CDs & DVDs with ImgBurn like CDBurnerXP's Copy disc? To be honest saving to iso first AND THEN manually tell ImgBurn to burn doesn't count! You need to sit down in front of the PC to make that happen. I always have to clone CDs & DVDs for my dad (on a pretty regular basis) and ImgBurn for this matter is driving me nuts! I'd love to know if ImgBurn can do Copy discs too!

Thanks,
Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Action_Selection.jpg

#16 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

No. You need to copy to iso and the write the iso. Imgburn is however scriptable from the command line so you could create a script to perform both actions. See readme.txt in the imgburn install directory for details.

#17 ???

???
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

No. You need to copy to iso and the write the iso. Imgburn is however scriptable from the command line so you could create a script to perform both actions. See readme.txt in the imgburn install directory for details.

Oh great glad that you confirmed my suspicion, thanks a lot! Do you have any disc related softwares to recommend?
If possible, can you compile a list? Currently I'm using...

ImgBurn > Used to use this before CDBurnerXP but what is special about this software?
CDBurnerXP > Nero'ish interface to clone CDs/DVDs and write Data discs, very user friendly.
ConvertXtoDVD > Burning non-DVD formatted videos to DVDs.
DVDFab > Ripping or Cloning DVDs, mostly for DVD9 to DVD5.

Thanks!
Andrew

P.S. Most of the software I use have overlapping functions, I know. But today is only the second day I'm digging into this disc scene. So I'd appreciate any useful/constructive comments/suggestions.

#18 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

I have used clonecd in the past for copying cds. It however is not free.There is also blindwrite which again is not free. Its not something I find that I need to do these days. Its years since a commercially produced CD / DVD went bad on me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users