#1 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

Based on all of these threads of research: 

http://www.msfn.org/...-vhd/?p=1084252

So, I consolidated a lot of info from earlier threads from Here and MDL and MSFN and posted it on the above link. 

What I have realized with the following post below (in relation to the MSFN link posted above) is that I am doing something wrong with the VHDs - As a lot of steps that I have taken are from various articles, blogs and forums. 

I've assembled and outlined the steps BELOW. I need to figure out where and what is wrong and how I can do this CLEANER and better from SCRATCH to avoid errors. 

Update: 

Ok, I am kind of giving up on Windows 7.

So, just to test the ability and issues around this new Toshiba Laptop and Native booting, 
Using these simple steps https://4sysops.com/...-in-windows-8/ 
I ImageX 2 VHDs with fresh install from Win 8 and Win 8.1 each. 
Did a simple bcdboot ?:\Windows to added them to Boot Menu. 
They are running fine. 
W8.VHD GPT [Simple Volume]
W81.VHD GPT [Simple Volume]

They have a simple single volume structure and no System, EFI or MSR Partitions within

For some reason the VHDs I have created from my Source Machine are working with Hyper-V & VMWare. 
But not working Native Boot. 

So, I am wondering if it has something due to the Primary OS Parition and Pre OS partition (Reserved, EFI, System, MSR) structures? 

Please don't ignore the following Paragraph: I think this is a key issue where I am making some mistake with the VHDs or its Structure and Inter Partition mapping

I need to figure out the following:

X) - STRUCTURES of VHDs that work fine for Native Booting

e.g. Should they have Simple Volume Primary partitions ONLY?

AND/ OR they will be fine with/without Virtual EFI, System, MSR, Reserved etc. Internal to VHD i.e. Virtual Partitions that will work without issues.

Y) - Right WAY to IMAGE Existing machine: (Full DIsk w PreOS Partitions or Only OS Partition) and MAP the IMAGE to the correct part of the STRUCTURE of VHDs (as outlined above) 

Now, the VHD I have from my source system has gone through following changes:

Original & Current Source System
- MBR [1/200 MB Reserved/SystemPartition][Primary Partition Win7x64 SP1]

>> Disk2VHD

W7-MBR.VHD
- MBR [1/200 MB Reserved/SystemPartition][Primary Partition Win7x64 SP1]

(Works in Hyper-V + VMWare, NOT Native Boot)

>> Converted to GPT VHD with using gptgen and added System + MSR Partition as outlined here - http://www.dertechbl...onvert-gen2-vm/
W7-GPT.VHD 
- GPT [EFI:100,FAT32, "System",S:][MSR:128][][Primary Partition Win7x64 SP1]

>> EFI boot files copied to “System” Partition i.e. Virtual EFI partition

The important UEFI boot files will then use the tool bcdboot copied to the system partition. Where h corresponds: the drive letter of the virtual Windows partition and s: the drive letter of the virtual EFI partition: 
bcdboot h:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

(Works in VMWare with EFI, NOT Native Boot .. Windows 7 issues as pointed out in first post)

(So, I figured lets take this VHD to Windows 8)
>> Upgraded to Win8 inside VMWare >> SYSPREP
W7to8-GPT.VHD 
- GPT [EFI:100,FAT32, "System",S:][MSR:128][][Primary Partition Win8x64 Pro]

( Native boot still does not work | VMWare booting works)

Error on screen for this Most current error for this Win 7 upgraded to Win 8 VHD 

RECOVERY
Your PC needs to be repaired
The operating system couldn't be located because the system registry file is missing or contains errors 
File: \Windows\System32\config\system
Error Code: 0xc0000000d

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you dont have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer

I guess the typical reply would be to try and REPAIR this OS. 

But, I think OS is working (in VMWre), but some part of the FLOW of  BOOTING to Native VHD has some issue. i.e from 

Firmware > HDD Host EFI > [VHD > Virtual EFI Partition > VIrtual OS Partition]

On the other VHDs the flow is probably this: 

Firmware > HDD Host EFI > [VHD > VIrtual OS Partition]
Do you get what I am saying here? 

So I am wondering of the following.. where is the error coming into the picture:
- While CREATING/ IMAGING the VHD? 
- While converting from MBR to VHD? 
- While/ DUE to INSERTING the Virtual EFI & MSR partitions? - Would it be better not to have these in the VHD? Or something was done wrong with them?
- Would it be better to only IMAGE the OS Partition, and image it to a blank Partition on the GPT VHD? (Avoid conversion)

I don't mind doing a FRESH IMAGING of the OLD MACHINE. I will have to do it anyways as the OLD MACHINE has changed in last few weeks of this experiment. 

But, I'd like to do it RIGHT this time and Create the Correct VHD structure to support it. 
Use ImageX or DISM instead of Disk2VHD if you guys think thats better. 

PS: The last time I ran a recovery disc to try and fix the Win7to8.VHD, it ended up messing up my Host HDD Win8 booting. How can I avoid that if at all you are suggesting some STEPS to REPAIR the Win7to8.VHD

Edited by crashnburn, 17 August 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#2 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

With Windows 7 on the VHD it would boot initially and get stuck later at Logo

With Windows 8(upgraded to from win 7), the VHD, it gets gets stuck earlier before boot

My biggest question here is this - Do VHD's need to have or follow certain STRUCTURE to Native Boot? Will some structures fail to boot?

I think there's something wrong with the STRUCTURE of my VHD. 

Can/ should VHDs have PreOS 'Special' Partitions or NOT? 

Most people are saying they are equivalent of having a PHYSICAL HDD. 

But, has anyone had MULTIPLE PARTITIONS on a VHD and try MULTI BOOTING from them?

Because something is OFF with my VIRTUAL PARTITIONS. 

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

Most people are saying they are equivalent of having a PHYSICAL HDD.

And, strangely enough, they are correct.

But, has anyone had MULTIPLE PARTITIONS on a VHD and try MULTI BOOTING from them?

Yes.
http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html

Because something is OFF with my VIRTUAL PARTITIONS.

Most likely your partitions are fine :), it is the OS that is badly configured or has an issue with the BIOS/UEFI.

To recap, and unless I am missing something in the latest progresses (or lack of them) though you have been told this already, both here and on MSFN, you are still trying to do too many things at once (migrating an installed system,AND a non freshly installed system AND an OEM system AND migrating it to a .vhd AND migrating it from BIOS to UEFI AND migrating it from MBR to GPT disk).
In other words you have too many variables in the equation.

The suggested path remains to try installing (possibly from an original DVD, or however from an "untouched" source) a new Windows 7 and/or 8)on the VHD.

Once that works, (IF it works) then we might start troubleshooting the issues connected with the migration of the old install.

:duff:
Wonko
  • crashnburn likes this

#4 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:30 AM

And, strangely enough, they are correct.

Yes.
http://homepage.ntlw...no-answers.html

Most likely your partitions are fine :), it is the OS that is badly configured or has an issue with the BIOS/UEFI.

To recap, and unless I am missing something in the latest progresses (or lack of them) though you have been told this already, both here and on MSFN, you are still trying to do too many things at once (

migrating an installed system,AND a non freshly installed system AND an (Are they not the same??)

OEM system (To clarify - Its not OEM, I used SLIC 2.1 based activation on it, but now it has a MS Ultimate License on it. I can up it to Win8 using my $14.99 License)

AND

migrating it to a .vhd AND (Upto this point is what I wanted to do - In summary: Sysprep/ Image & Migrate to VHD)

migrating it from BIOS to UEFI AND migrating it from MBR to GPT disk).

I am having to do this because of difference on the Destination Machine.. Both have to be done I guess? As windows does not work with Mixed Combination.. BIOS-MBR and UEFI-GPT work.. the other combinations do not? Or is that a misnomer? 

In other words you have too many variables in the equation.

The suggested path remains to try installing (possibly from an original DVD, or however from an "untouched" source) a new Windows 7 and/or 8)on the VHD.

Once that works, (IF it works) then we might start troubleshooting the issues connected with the migration of the old install.

Wonko

I know what you are saying Wonko. :) Kinda too many stages for things to go wrong. And I think you are right, its some wierd thing related to Boot and OS. 

So.. Do you think if I eliminated the Pre OS partitions when I bring the OS Partition SYSPREP IMAGE over from Old System to a fresh Simple Volume/ Single Volume partition, then it might be simpler? 

Or I could also try a FRESH install on a VHD with Multiple Pre OS Partitions to see how that works

Your thoughts? 

But, to answer what you suggested .. YES - I did that and it WORKS. 

I quote from the UPDATE in first post: The Win 8 and Win 8.1 Fresh Install to using ImageX to VHDs with only single primary partition is working. Windows 7 not so much. I'll try Win7 again using ImageX to VHD. 

Is there a better easier way than ImageX? 

Update: 

Ok, I am kind of giving up on Windows 7.

So, just to test the ability and issues around this new Toshiba Laptop and Native booting, 
Using these simple steps https://4sysops.com/...-in-windows-8/ 
I ImageX 2 VHDs with fresh install from Win 8 and Win 8.1 each. 
Did a simple bcdboot ?:\Windows to added them to Boot Menu. 

They are running fine. 
W8.VHD - GPT [Simple Volume]
W81.VHD - GPT [Simple Volume]

Edited by crashnburn, 22 August 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

There are no issues (that I know of) with partitions (IF they are managed properly).

The successful install - if I get it right - is a new install on a UEFI machine (a UEFI install) on a GPT disk.

The *whatever* you are trying to migrate is - besides "old" install - an install on a BIOS machine on a MBR partition.

You probably need - somehow - to test installing on the UEFI machine in CSM mode on a MBR disk vhd the new Windows 8, and then find how to change it to UEFI/GPT. :unsure: 

On MBR disks there is no difference whatsoever between an install with separate "boot" and "system" partitions and one with a single volume (of course in the case of UEFI and GPT disk you need additionally the "Efisys" partition and the "msr" one).

The difference between "install" and "non fresh install" may be irrelevant, but usually over time the install of programs or updates, or both (and in your case also the non-entirely "normal" license/activation methods you used subsequently on the install) somehow accumulate "changes" that the DISM (or imageX, though nowadays DISM is the suggested way, and historically imageX has a number of issues with hardlinks and was never recommended as a backup/restore method ) or the "generalize" step may not "like".

A .vhd (not a .vhdx ) and ONLY a "static" or "fully allocated" .vhd is nothing but a RAW disk image with a single sector appended to it, there is nothing, except this appended "Conectix" sector that contain some ID data, that distinguishes it from a hard disk image. 

You could try another thing :dubbio:.

Make (on the old machine) a .vhd booting Windows 7 system (from a new, original, untouched, DVD), check it works there.

Try making (on the old machine) a .vhd booting Windows 7 system applying the existing image of the system, check it works there.

Both of these will be BIOS booting on a MBR disk.

Test them in VMware (in BIOS mode).

Test them in VMware (in UEFI mode) <- what happens? (likely they won't boot)

Convert them to GPT disk.

Test them in VMware (in UEFI mode) <- what happens? (they won't boot as well, I believe, as the install/booting was originally for BIOS, and here I think lies the issue in making them UEFI compatible).

So, try converting them to UEFI boot:

http://social.techne...on-to-uefi.aspx

As said earlier, I would first try the procedure ONLY on the new, fresh install of Windows 7, as it has more probabilities to contain nothing that can prevent the "migration", and only if the procedure succeeds re-try with the "real" install.

Wonko

#6 milindsmart

milindsmart

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

You probably need - somehow - to test installing on the UEFI machine in CSM mode on a MBR disk vhd the new Windows 8, and then find how to change it to UEFI/GPT. :unsure:

This much, I know it can be done quite easily :
  • attach VHD, use gdisk and convert to GPT.
  • shrink, delete, or better modify partition type, or whatever, and have one Efisys and Msr partitions.
  • do bcdboot X:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI where X is your system volume and Y is the boot volume.
  • add new NVRAM entry in firmware UEFI setup, pointing to the file \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi on the Efisys partition
  • boot using UEFI

Edited by milindsmart, 22 August 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

This much, I know it can be done quite easily :

• attach VHD, use gdisk and convert to GPT.
  • shrink, delete, or better modify partition type, or whatever, and have one Efisys and Msr partitions.
  • do bcdboot X:\Windows /s Y: /f UEFI where X is your system volume and Y is the boot volume.
  • add new NVRAM entry in firmware UEFI setup, pointing to the file \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi on the Efisys partition
  • boot using UEFI

Hmmm. :dubbio:

Two things.

#1 Please define which is the "boot" and which is the "system" volume (i.e. "logical way" or MS one, see: http://www.multiboot....uk/system.html )

#2 Are you sure that you can add a new NVRAM entry in UEFI pointing to a bootmgfw.efi which is residing on an Efisys partition INSIDE a .vhd? :dubbio: 

Wonko

#8 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

I am going to read every line carefully and try out what you and cdob (MSFN) have pointed out on FRESH Windows 7 and 8 both.

PS: Guide me on 2 things to make the experiments easier.

Since I will have to do these many times to VHDs, I'd like to use / choose do the way you point out. 

WHAT WOULD BE THE Fastest, Reliable, Efficient ways & tools to do the following to a VHD:
I ask because most steps/ tutorials on web point either one of the following: 

- ImageX (depracated) ..or (Non interactive)

- GUI Setup installs (time consuming & interactive)

A link or outline of best steps/ tools would be great.. something thats non-interactive or less interactive/ unattended

(.. if at all that is something I was missing in all tutorial links I have posted)

A- INSTALL Windows 7 & 8 .. in UEFI or CSM Mode..
- whether using ImageX, DISM, or something else
- Wondering if any such way can be used for Win7 to Win 8 in UPGRADE mode while saving "Settings" & "Programs" and everything.

B- IMAGE the "fresh" and "not fresh" install PARTITIONS / DISKS.
- Also, here, I am wondering if I can make a MBR/GPT "AGNOSTIC" IMAGE of OS Partition/ Files after SYSPREP using something like ImageX.
- Some IMAGE that does not INCLUDE GPT or MBR, but IMAGES the Entire File/ Folder structure in such a way that it could be IMAGED and then DUMPED to an EMPTY or EXISTING primary partition on a created VHD (irrespective if its formatted GPT or MBR.. For e.g. how we copy files betwen GPT <> MBR)

PS: I think my original VHD was pretty much working except the.. Windows 7 / GOP Driver support issue due to new UEFI firmware (as pointed out on MSFN)

Edited by crashnburn, 23 August 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

You are still in the old (IMHO twisted) way of thinking (doing everything and the contrary of everything, all at once) :(.

Sometimes you have to clear your mind from anything you know and start from scratch:

FORGET about ImageX (it is deprecated for a reason) unless (see below) it is expressly mentioned in a set of instructions[1].
FORGET about UEFI.
FORGET about GPT.
FORGET about "converting" anything.
FORGET about "MBR/GPT agnostic".

FORGET about anything else but the steps in the proposed experiment (following they are numbered to make it easier to reference and made more explicit):

• Make (on the old machine) a .vhd booting Windows 7 system (from a new, original, untouched, DVD), check it works there. (It will be BIOS booting on a MBR disk) Make a copy.
  • Test it (the copy) in VMware (in BIOS mode).
  • Test it (the copy) in VMware (in UEFI mode) <- what happens? (likely they won't boot)
  • Convert it (the copy) to GPT disk.
  • Test it (the copy) in VMware (in UEFI mode) <- what happens? (it won't boot as well, I believe, as the install/booting was originally for BIOS, and here I think lies the issue in making it UEFI compatible).
  • Try converting it (the copy) to UEFI boot http://social.techne...on-to-uefi.aspx
  • If it works in VMware UEFI, make a copy of it.
  • Test the new copy on the "new" PC with UEFI.

To make step #1 follow this:

http://technet.micro...2(v=ws.10).aspx

you want to use a "Fixed hard-disk image".

OR follow this:

http://technet.micro...8(v=ws.10).aspx

http://technet.micro...1(v=ws.10).aspx

OR follow this:

http://technet.micro...y/hh824872.aspx

(the first two use imagex to deploy the image, the last one DISM)

To make things automated, you will need to get familiar with Sysprep and Auotunattended installs, like:

http://www.sevenforu...ze-windows.html

BUT this is NOT at all needed now, for the sake of this experiment, FORGET about sysprep and automating until you have gone through the experiment manually.

Wonko

[1] Namely ImageX is fine to deploy an install image, not so much with capturing an image from an existing install.

#10 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Ok :) Got it I will follow those exact things outlined.

PS: I did use this link previously to do the conversion. But now we will do it in order you have pointed out. 

http://social.techne...on-to-uefi.aspx

PPS: But doesnt it need to be SYSPREP between steps 7 and 8? I am guessing it does? 

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

PPS: But doesnt it need to be SYSPREP between steps 7 and 8? I am guessing it does? 

Possibly also between steps #1 and #2 :unsure:, but we will have to see if it's needed, however the point is that sysprepping a fresh install should work (say) in 99.9999% of cases, while sysprepping an "old" install is more likely to create issues, the idea is that if the whole test succeeds, then there are good chances that it can work, possibly with some added tweaking/modding steps, with a copy of the installed system, while if it doesn't work with the simpler "fresh" install it means that the method is "wrong" :ph34r: (and we will have to find or *invent* something else) or that the "migration" is not possible at all :( (due to GOP or *whatever*)

Wonko

#12 crashnburn

crashnburn

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Possibly also between steps #1 and #2 :unsure:, but we will have to see if it's needed, however the point is that sysprepping a fresh install should work (say) in 99.9999% of cases, while sysprepping an "old" install is more likely to create issues, the idea is that if the whole test succeeds, then there are good chances that it can work, possibly with some added tweaking/modding steps, with a copy of the installed system, while if it doesn't work with the simpler "fresh" install it means that the method is "wrong" :ph34r: (and we will have to find or *invent* something else) or that the "migration" is not possible at all :( (due to GOP or *whatever*)

Wonko

I agree. You are right. I think it might be better to try it with Windows 8 also. 

BTW - Also after this above steps you outlined, I have a FRESH Windows 7 install on an old HDD (installed via OLD machine).

I could try to IMAGE that to VHD after doing the VHD fresh install steps you pointed above. Same steps on Fresh Win7 install convert to VHD

i.e. 1st: Create VHD.. Fresh Install Win7 .. do all Wonko steps

2nd: Fresh Install Win 7 to HDD.. create VHD.. do all Wonko steps .. PS: What would you use for this HDD to VHD.. Disk2VHD or ImageX or something else? 

3rd: Try with EXISTING OLD Win7 install

...PLUS.. REPEAT above steps with/ for Win8/8.1 ??

Edited by crashnburn, 23 August 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#13 milindsmart

milindsmart

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

#1 Please define which is the "boot" and which is the "system" volume (i.e. "logical way" or MS one, see: http://www.multiboot....uk/system.html )

The MS way, system volume contains boot manager, and boot volume contains \Windows\ directory.

#2 Are you sure that you can add a new NVRAM entry in UEFI pointing to a bootmgfw.efi which is residing on an Efisys partition INSIDE a .vhd? :dubbio:

Oh no not at all, that would be a positively beautiful UEFI application.

The (limited) objective that I am addressing is about conversion of an installation from MBR+BIOS to GPT+UEFI mode. Equally applicable to real HDD+real UEFI as well as VHD+VM UEFI.

#14 milindsmart

milindsmart

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

A- INSTALL Windows 7 & 8 .. in UEFI or CSM Mode..
- whether using ImageX, DISM, or something else
- Wondering if any such way can be used for Win7 to Win 8 in UPGRADE mode while saving "Settings" & "Programs" and everything.

DISM. It's nice and fast. But I don't think you can upgrade that way..... Actually, I can't believe no one has already tried this. The old files would probably confuse the new OS too much.

B- IMAGE the "fresh" and "not fresh" install PARTITIONS / DISKS.
- Also, here, I am wondering if I can make a MBR/GPT "AGNOSTIC" IMAGE of OS Partition/ Files after SYSPREP using something like ImageX.
- Some IMAGE that does not INCLUDE GPT or MBR, but IMAGES the Entire File/ Folder structure in such a way that it could be IMAGED and then DUMPED to an EMPTY or EXISTING primary partition on a created VHD (irrespective if its formatted GPT or MBR.. For e.g. how we copy files betwen GPT <> MBR)

MBR and GPT will ONLY matter if you image the ENTIRE hard disk. DISM will make an image of the partition, which is already "MBR/GPT agnostic". In fact, even a sector-by-sector raw image of the partition will be partition-table agnostic.

No, not if you only imaged it onto the disk/VHD. But you will (probably) need it if it has already booted into normal "machine-specific-ised" Windows, which is what you would probably do to test if it works.

Instead, try booting into audit mode on first boot (search the web and find it), and then sysprep generalize it ONCE, and select to boot it into audit mode. Then you needn't worry about it getting cozy with any one machine.

Note : This is overkill. I have, more than once, uprooted and shoved Windows to a completely new system and it has worked completely fine.

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

I agree. You are right. I think it might be better to try it with Windows 8 also. 

BTW - Also after this above steps you outlined, I have a FRESH Windows 7 install on an old HDD (installed via OLD machine).

I could try to IMAGE that to VHD after doing the VHD fresh install steps you pointed above. Same steps on Fresh Win7 install convert to VHD

i.e. 1st: Create VHD.. Fresh Install Win7 .. do all Wonko steps

2nd: Fresh Install Win 7 to HDD.. create VHD.. do all Wonko steps .. PS: What would you use for this HDD to VHD.. Disk2VHD or ImageX or something else? 

3rd: Try with EXISTING OLD Win7 install

...PLUS.. REPEAT above steps with/ for Win8/8.1 ??

You see? :dubbio:

You are back to try adding to the mix an install to HD, Disk2vhd and ImageX. :frusty:

Really, it is difficult to follow you. :(

Try doing just the suggested tests without thinking about what may happen after them...

The (limited) objective that I am addressing is about conversion of an installation from MBR+BIOS to GPT+UEFI mode. Equally applicable to real HDD+real UEFI as well as VHD+VM UEFI.

And I am pretty sure that it works nicely for a "real HDD" installation :), what is not clear in your quick set of instructions (to me at least :ermm: ) is WHERE/WHICH the Efysis partition you talk about  is.

I mean, let's start from a "normal" UEFI/GPT hardware.

The hardware comprises a single "real" disk, that we can call conventionally "Disk 0" (as seen in diskpart).

This disk contains three partitions, let's call them:

disk0,0 <- the Efysys partition on the "real" disk, that will be of type "EF00" and won't be normally mounted by the booted windows to a drive letter. <- this along MS (mis)naming will be the "System" partition. i.e. where the boot files reside[1]

disk0,1 <- the Msr partition on the "real" disk, that will be of type "0C01" and won't be mounted by the booted windows to a drive letter. <- I am not too sure :unsure: that this partition is actually *needed*

disk0,2 <- the Microsoft "basic data partition" on the "real" disk, that will be of type "0700" and will be mounted (normally) to drive letter C:\ <- this along MS (mis)naming will be the "boot" partition, i.e. where the Operating System resides[1]

Now you create a new file in the C:\ partition that is a .vhd, that will be used for native vhd booting, let's call it vdisk1, can you detail what happens next (rewording your previous set of instructions with more detail)? 

Please also correct the above "preamble" if you finds anything inaccurate in it. :)

Wonko

[1]Nomen est omen http://en.wikipedia....ive_determinism

#16 milindsmart

milindsmart

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

The hardware comprises a single "real" disk, that we can call conventionally "Disk 0" (as seen in diskpart).
This disk contains three partitions, let's call them:
disk0,0 <- the Efysys partition on the "real" disk, that will be of type "EF00" and won't be normally mounted by the booted windows to a drive letter. <- this along MS (mis)naming will be the "System" partition. i.e. where the boot files reside[1]
disk0,1 <- the Msr partition on the "real" disk, that will be of type "0C01" and won't be mounted by the booted windows to a drive letter. <- I am not too sure :unsure: that this partition is actually *needed*
disk0,2 <- the Microsoft "basic data partition" on the "real" disk, that will be of type "0700" and will be mounted (normally) to drive letter C:\ <- this along MS (mis)naming will be the "boot" partition, i.e. where the Operating System resides[1]

Perfect "preamble"

Now you create a new file in the C:\ partition that is a .vhd, that will be used for native vhd booting, let's call it vdisk1, can you detail what happens next (rewording your previous set of instructions with more detail)?

I wasn't talking about this at all... That's why I quoted only a small part of your reply to him about converting an BIOS+MBR install to UEFI+GPT.
I suppose it could be done the usual way of mounting it and pointing a bootloader entry to the VHD using bcdedit.

To be clear, UEFI -> NVRAM -> (bootmgfw.efi + BCD) (physical disk) -> VHD -> (partition-> \Windows\system32\winload.exe).

NOT UEFI -> NVRAM -> VHD -> ((bootmgfw.efi + BCD) (virtual disk) -> partition -> \Windows\system32\winload.exe).

I suppose it could be done though....

Edited by milindsmart, 24 August 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

I wasn't talking about this at all... That's why I quoted only a small part of your reply to him about converting an BIOS+MBR install to UEFI+GPT.

I know that :smiling9:, in other words you posted here something that is unrelated and that does not apply fully to the case at hand. :w00t:

But, even if it is not fully applicable, your "quick steps" may be very useful in other occasions :thumbsup: but - as they are - they are not (to me at least) completely understandable/repeatable :(, hence my prompting you for (of course only if you are willing to) making them more explicit/clear by expanding on them.

Wonko

#18 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

@ crashnburn

Well as I only see reference to Win 7 without any mention to version.

I just want to remember to you that only Enterprise and Ultimate are VHD boot capable.

You can use Winvblock with non capable versions of 7 or XP: http://reboot.pro/to...ock#entry127779

I recomend WinNTSetup to make the VHD install, it is the easier way: http://www.msfn.org/...inntsetup-v377/

Best Regards

#19 F...youidontcareanymore

F...youidontcareanymore

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

Could i not clone an existing win8 drive/install to a VHD & replace the SYSTEM partition (files) with (files) from a win7 SYSTEM partition & tell the STORE to load winload.exe not winload.efi !

#20 F...youidontcareanymore

F...youidontcareanymore

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

Or try

http://www.mpspartne...ios-to-gptuefi/

I'm very sure the description in the link title is enough

Edited by DoleBludger, 13 July 2015 - 12:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users