Photo
- - - - -

Will You Switch To Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Will You Switch To Windows 8? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you switch to windows 8?

1. Voted As soon as it's available... (11 votes [20.37%])

Percentage of vote: 20.37%

2. NEVER!!!!! (30 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. Eventually (12 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. WOt Is this Wisowz 8 thin ? (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Usually one have to use safemode when normal boot fails.In my case neither manual safeboot nor Autofailover worked.Win 8 just entered in to a loop of reboot.Finally after hours of internet search i figured out how to boot from the DVD by messing with so called secure boot.

To me Win8 feels like a new OS,not Windows anymore-No Start menu,no aero, Secure boot to prevent non Microsoft OS, fucked up safemode etc. 

#52 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

F8 + UEFI does not work. For one thing in my bios F8 brings up the bios boot menu. The one time I needed F8 to get into recovery mode ( the first big MS win 8 patch disabled my USB mouse keyboard in win 8 ) I tried it many times but could never get into recovery mode. Gave up in the end and reinstalled win 8.

I was using g4d + boot from iso to install win 8 and could never get that to correctly run the recovery environment - it would start but never found an os to recover.

#53 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

An off topic but related to Win8 question- Did anyone know how to change the boot partition in GPT disk?.In MBR based disk i could easily use any partition tool to change the active partition.This will be helpfull in some cases like yesterday i used Partition Wizard home edition to switch the active partition to Sony recovery partition and successfully launched factory restore program to recover original Win7 home basic (Customer mistakenly formatted C drive and installed pirated Ultimate version-Usual Fn+recovery key is not working). 

Since GPT is using an entirely different boot method i don't know how to boot from recovery partition when usual methods fails.

#54 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I read a lot bad things about Windows 8 over the internet

That is confusing interface, disaster , ugly touch style, crap, dual idiotic interface...

For me this is cheapest, most painless upgrade

http://windows.micro...ShopHP_FPP_Null

29.99 Euros ($39.99)* "Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is for individuals and small businesses needing to upgrade up to five devices. " 

compared to $385 to Upgrade Vista to Windows 7 ....

Cheaper, faster, legal .

p.s.

probably not worth a penny over 40 bucks . :rofle:

#55 SBBGrover

SBBGrover

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Hong Kong

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

A very interesting and universal question - for me personally, switching to even Windows 7, let alone to Windows 8 is a no-brainer. I had a horrendous time trying to switch to Win 7 from Windows XP and Vista. I'm sorry to say but in many ways Win 7 appears to be much more 'stupid' (if I can use that term) and slower than XP. Now I have my vista and XP back again in working order and to use a slogan from McDonald's I'm Lovin it.' Talking of which, a great web site you have with some very useful software gems and adviice.  Thank you  and thank those working behind the scene who make it happen. Finally, a Happy XP & Vista New Year to you all.

#56 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

It is the first time i heard someone praising Win Vista!.

#57 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I will never switch to windows 8 though I have installed the enterprise edition in a VM so I could create a Windows To Go flash drive. When using one of the start button replacements and then loading software to do repairs on systems, data recovery, and virusscans the Windows To Go works very well.  Originally people were saying you couldn't do this because it doesn't access/show the system hard drive but it is there, just offline.  Once you make it online then you can perform operations on it.  The Windows to Go flash drives can be imaged using Macrium Reflect so it is easy to update them if you have a group that uses them for desktop support.

One other consideration, since Microsoft has announced yearly OS releases, and Windows Blue is scheduled to be released in 2013, why not wait and see what it looks like before changing from a very good OS such as Windows 7.

#58 DarkPhoeniX

DarkPhoeniX

Frequent Member

• Amount:

Team Reboot
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Interesting Things
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

It is the first time i heard someone praising Win Vista!.

Vista was good after SP1 ,just like win 98 SE

Nobody can say Anything good about Windows 2000....

I will never switch to windows 8 though I have installed the enterprise edition in a VM so I could create a Windows To Go flash drive. When using one of the start button replacements and then loading software to do repairs on systems, data recovery, and virusscans the Windows To Go works very well.  Originally people were saying you couldn't do this because it doesn't access/show the system hard drive but it is there, just offline.  Once you make it online then you can perform operations on it.  The Windows to Go flash drives can be imaged using Macrium Reflect so it is easy to update them if you have a group that uses them for desktop support.

One other consideration, since Microsoft has announced yearly OS releases, and Windows Blue is scheduled to be released in 2013, why not wait and see what it looks like before changing from a very good OS such as Windows 7.

I have not tested Windows To Go,Do you have System or Administrator rites ?

I found My VistaPE With system Rites removes better Viruses then my repair PC with Administrator Rites (ESET AV)

Here is something that i find tedious:

Windows XP     NT 5.2

Windows Vista  NT 6.0

Windows 7        NT 6.1

Windows 8        NT 6.2

Some one needs to smack the crayons out of the hands of the marketing guy that comes up with the names

But i guess if you call "Windows 8" ,"Windows  6.2" then it would seem less remarkable  

http://en.wikipedia....indows_versions

#59 Motasem

Motasem

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:War Make's Men And Problems Make's You Expert
    MooT®
  •  
    Jordan

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Xp Rocks for me and why should i move to windows 8 i can use win 7 without using 2 desktops and touch thing

#60 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Germany Claims the NSA Has Access to Every Windows 8 Computer

A set of leaked documents that reached the web today reveal that the German authorities have advised the local government to avoid using Windows 8, as the operating system contains backdoors that would allow Microsoft and the United States National Security Agency (NSA) to access all computers running it.

The papers published by German newspaper Zeit.de (translation needed) reveal that the Federal Administration and other departments have been warned of a so-called backdoor in the Trusted Computing technology standard and the built-in Trusted Platform Module (TPM) that would allow Microsoft to remotely access any system powered by Windows 8.

TPM 2.0 was officially launched in 2011 and cannot be disabled, as it's automatically started whenever the user starts booting Windows 8 on both desktop computers and tablets.

What's more, the German officials have explained that using Windows 8 on government computers "is unacceptable," and recommended everyone to stick to Windows 7, which should be the right choice "until 2020."

- Some comments:

Now the German government are lambasting the original article (also posted on this site) as a 'wild fabrication of complete distortion.'

A note to anyone unfamiliar with the German press: Die Zeit, the weekly newspaper this story originates from, is considered by most Germans to be the most influential, intelligent, and most respected broadsheet paper in the German-speaking world. They never go out on limbs; they never exaggerate

I wondered why until 2020 ?  :eek:  Because Windows 7  Extended Support End Date is  1/14/2020  :loleverybody:

#61 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Amount:

Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Windows Security, Programming, Customizing & Crash Dump Analysis.
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

VERY interesting Mikorist, seems everybody wants to invade privacy these days. The thing is, even if it's the government doing things like this, it doesn't mean it's being used in any more of a responsible way, than the average hacker would with such control; the scary truth.

I'm tempted to find that bridge and disable it. I don't have anything to hide, so why should others have the right to access my Windows 8 machine, and especially without such warning to the public that they have this kind of access? That is not right at all.

#62 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

- Some comments:
I wondered why until 2020 ?  :eek:  Because Windows 7  Extended Support End Date is  1/14/2020  :loleverybody:

humm.. maybe it is Reactos.org on this point usable ? *s*

VERY interesting Mikorist, seems everybody wants to invade privacy these days. The thing is, even if it's the government doing things like this, it doesn't mean it's being used in any more of a responsible way, than the average hacker would with such control; the scary truth.

I'm tempted to find that bridge and disable it. I don't have anything to hide, so why should others have the right to access my Windows 8 machine, and especially without such warning to the public that they have this kind of access? That is not right at all.

what we need it is an patch for the kernel/system for remove this piece of (sh..) code who enable for open the backdoor ..

best regards
Blacky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users