#1 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:43 AM

What I am proposing is to make the version stand out from the script title so it doesn't look like part of the title. as of now the version number is indistinguishable from the script title which will lead to confusion.
Wireshark 12 leads the user to believe that the script is for Wireshark version 12 when in fact WIreshark is at version 1.6.1 and the script is at version 12

Current:
CurrentDownloadVersion.png
proposed:
ProposedDownloadVersion.png

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

What I am proposing is to make the version stand out from the script title so it doesn't look like part of the title. as of now the version number is indistinguishable from the script title which will lead to confusion.
Wireshark 12 leads the user to believe that the script is for Wireshark version 12 when in fact WIreshark is at version 1.6.1 and the script is at version 12

Current:

proposed:

Wouldn't using WORDS the way they were invented for be more practical (think about issues with members with visual impairment).

To a screen reader BOTH:

WIRESHARK Version 12

and

WIRESHARK Version 12

should be the same and don't make sense :w00t: in the same way.

What about:

WIRESHARK Script Version 12 for Wireshark version 1.6.1

Or:

WIRESHARK
Script Version: 12
Target: Wireshark version 1.6.1

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Wouldn't using WORDS the way they were invented for be more practical (think about issues with members with visual impairment).

To a screen reader BOTH:

and

should be the same and don't make sense :w00t: in the same way.

What about:

Or:

Wonko

the script version is display is the real issue as it looks like part of the title - which it is not. lets say for fun I wanted to put the program version in the title. I would then have
Wireshark 1.6.1. 12
which is to say the lest. confusing.
I agree with you about the screen reader issue though. saying "script version" instead of "version" would be much better.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

An alternative would be to use a "code" like "vxyz" for the script version and always include in it, separated by a hypphen or the like, the actual app version.
For the example this could be:

Wireshark v012-1.6.1

That could also mean "script version" - "last version app tested successfully" :unsure:

Wonko

P.S.: OT I have noticed that the actual image posted on threads like this one:
http://reboot.pro/15227/
don not enlarge/resize upon clicking, so they are basically pointless (and unreadable) it would be better to put there a nice icon. :w00t:

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Wonko, you've forgot the version for the cixelsyd people. ;) ;) :rofl:

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:09 PM

the script version is display is the real issue as it looks like part of the title - which it is not. lets say for fun I wanted to put the program version in the title. I would then have
Wireshark 1.6.1. 12
which is to say the lest. confusing.
I agree with you about the screen reader issue though. saying "script version" instead of "version" would be much better.

IMHO the download section should give fast access to a file, in this case a script.

The user should have the quick infornation whether he already owns the script offerred for download.

Why not only write in the title

myscript.Script version ??? rather than myscript ???, where ??? is the REAL .script version.

More information, e.g. about handled <Wireshark> version, should be placed inside comment / description.

Peter

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Wonko, you've forgot the version for the cixelsyd people. ;) ;) :rofl:

You are right :thumbsup:, in the current seek for simplicity, we could add an MD5 - AES256 encrypted - of the version string, an automated app to send it to the user via SMS, and a Symbian/Android (+of course an applet for iPhone) program that would read the SMS aloud.

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users