#26 TheWalkingFroggy

TheWalkingFroggy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Hello,
Probably the Graphics Intel Driver is causing problems. I've tried to disable the vga, and it gets disabled indeed, but the black screen stays forever. Even if from CMD it says the .inf file gets installed, probably it doesn't.. at least this is what I think.

#27 ndog37

ndog37

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:37 AM

Maybe this video can help?

#28 TheWalkingFroggy

TheWalkingFroggy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

Maybe this video can help?

Hello, thank you for the reply!

The video says that if someone has an intel not theorically supported on Windows, he should check another video but I can't find it, can you link me please?

#29 ndog37

ndog37

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hello, thank you for the reply!

The video says that if someone has an intel not theorically supported on Windows, he should check another video but I can't find it, can you link me please?

Sure. here it is.

#30 ndog37

ndog37

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:25 AM

I can't edit last post but link is here

#31 kroko

kroko
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

Hi all. It is possible to convert a running legacy/CSM installation with installed GPU drivers to UEFI including MBR-to-GPT without loosing data. But is it possible to disable vga.sys and vgapnp.sys on a running windows 7 installation? If so and if we disable them before conversion to UEFI and change bootmode to UEFI (without CSM) wouldn't it be a full UEFI system?

How to disable vga.sys and vgapnp.sys on a running windows 7 instalation?

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

That is first post of this thread.

Doing that is actually STRONGLY NOT advised (by me) as it is EXTREMELY dangerous, with a high risk of finding yourself with a non-bootable system.

Hi all. It is possible to convert a running legacy/CSM installation with installed GPU drivers to UEFI including MBR-to-GPT without loosing data. But is it possible to disable vga.sys and vgapnp.sys on a running windows 7 installation? If so and if we disable them before conversion to UEFI and change bootmode to UEFI (without CSM) wouldn't it be a full UEFI system?

More or less - and if I get the whole thing right - there are 3 kinds of motherboards/BIOS'/UEFI's:
1) where Int 10h and VBIOS (without CSM) work just fine
2) where Int 10h and VBIOS (with CSM) work just fine AND where GOP works just fine BUT only if CSM is disabled
3) where GOP only is available

For the handful of seconds that you may shave off booting time it is simply not worth the risk (IMHO) for the type #1.

If you have a motherboard of type #3 it is needed (but you won't have an existing installation to begin with).

So it only really applies to type #2.

In any case - if you are really-really going for it - if I were you I would first convert the install to UEFI, possibly using temporarily one among the ways to have at the same time BIOS and UEFI booting available on GPT, and only later disable the vga.sys.

:duff:

Wonko

#33 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:35 PM

It is possible to convert a running legacy/CSM installation with installed GPU drivers to UEFI including MBR-to-GPT without loosing data.

There is mbr2gpt.exe to convert a mbr partition layout to to gpt layout.
https://docs.microso...ment/mbr-to-gpt

Windows 7 is not supported, converting to GPT is possible at own risk.
Booting may fail. There is a black screen without graphic card drivers. Debugging is difficult.
Don't do this, if there is another solution.

Given a BIOS/MBR Windows 7 at Virtualbox 5.2:
The graphic card driver VBoxVideo.sys is installed.
The system changed to efi mode.
A Windows 10 DVD booted, disk converted to gpt with mbr2gpt.exe.
Registry and bcd adjusted, compare first post.

Windows 7 does boot at UEFI mode.
However there is a yellow question mark at USB serial bus.
Hence no USB mouse, the PS/2 mouse does work.
Windows 7 SP 1 used, no updates. May get other results at other hardware or updated USB drivers.

Run regedit.exe and set start=4 to services vga and vgasave.
Adjust the efi bcd file too.

#34 Setternixe

Setternixe
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hello,

I´ve an old Laptop Clevo P150EM and used your Tut for installing win 7 &SP1 in UEFI-Mode. Now at boot I get failure 0xc000000d. In the video is shown, that I have to repair the boot loader or used the one of Windows 10.

Can you please help? :sos:

Best Regards

Setternixe

#35 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

I´ve an old Laptop Clevo P150EM and used your Tut for installing win 7 &SP1 in UEFI-Mode.

Well, the old hardware supports windows 7, no need for a special graphic card GOP handling.
http://www.eurocom.c...)EUROCOM_Racer2
https://www.clevo.co... &Lmodel=P1xxEM
Try a classic windows 7 installation, without special GOP handling. Please start a new thread, if there are questions still.

#36 Setternixe

Setternixe
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

Clevo P150EM has Uefi class 3, that means no CSM support! I want install in UEFI mode because of MultiBoot. And Windows 7 hangs on Bootscreen. Therefore I found this thread!
And I‘m at the end of the description: just the last step is missing!

#37 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

Ok, can you describe your steps so far? Used parts are unclear.

Compare first post again. And adjus to your settings.

BCDboot.exe W:\Windows /s S:

Run diskpart first and assign drive letters:
W: the Windows 7 partition
S: UEFI ESR partition

#38 Setternixe

Setternixe
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hello, thx for your help! I´ll try to explain, what exactly I´ve done:
First of all: I get installed Windows 7 with MBR in a normal way - thats no Problem!
Then I tried the UEFI install normal and the boot-screen freeze like you wrote.
1. I did make a AOMEI Win PE Stick to boot UEFI into Laptop(Laptop has two SATA-SSD with 128GB, one for Data content, one for OS
2. Boot into Windows PE, create a .BAT script with the content of your first post with the following changes:line 2 change N to 1; line 13 change the path to install.vim; line 31 changed the path to igdlh64
3. Run the script as administrator, The script finished with no error returned.
After Reboot I´ve got Error 0xc000000d in Windows Boot Manager. It´s descriped in the video of ndog37 (see above)
4. I´ve tried your line written "BCDboot..." with the correct letters in Diskpart. Same error.
5. I´ve tried like @DiscoEST said and copied original WIN 10 EFi Folder in from USB in Efi Partition. Another Error has occured 0x000000f
And now I´m here :rolleyes:
Any suggestions?

Edited by Setternixe, 04 March 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#39 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:19 PM

First of all: I get installed Windows 7 with MBR in a normal way - thats no Problem!

Use this as a reference.

Set start=4 at windows 7 registry to vga and vgasave.
Boot a PE, import system hive and set the settings.

At UEFI mode, set window boot manager. Try both windows 7 and windows 10 boot manager.
Boot a PE und run the BCDboot command.

At a multiboot environment, replace the {default} setting.
Read 'bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /enum all' first.
Remember the windows 7 {guid} number. Use this next.

E.g. 'rem disable vgapnp.sys : novesa on
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {guid} bootlog yes
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {guid} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {guid} novesa on
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {guid} quietboot on'

#40 Setternixe

Setternixe
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

Thx for replies! But first I‘ve to change from MBR to GPT?

#41 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

Laptop has two SATA-SSD with 128GB, one for Data content, one for OS
changes:line 2 change N to 1

0x000000f: bcd file is missing or not found.

Does 1 refers to first or second hard disk at given hardware?
Did you install windows 7 to first or the second hard disk?
The bcd file is searched at the first hard disk.

MultiBoot:
Clarify: which partitons are at the hard disks?
Which boot files do you use?
Which OS do you like to use?

As for testing purposes: remove the second hard disk.

#42 Setternixe

Setternixe
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thx for your response!

Try both windows 7 and windows 10 boot manager.Boot a PE und run the BCDboot command.'

Bootmanager is bootmgfw.efi in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ or bootx64.efi in /EFI/Boot? If I change one or both files, do I have to create a new BCD file?
Does your command:“BCDBoot.exe create a new BCD file?
Just to be sure: I have to run PE in UEFI mode and start your script?

:Clarify: which partitons are at the hard disks?Which boot files do you use?Which OS do you like to use?As for testing purposes: remove the second hard disk.

At the beginning there is no multi-boot. The HDD is empty and I creat just the EFI Partition and the WIN7 Partition. Yesterday I‘ve tried your script and later I‘ve tried the way described in the video of ndog37: just create an empty partition fat32 and second a WIN7 partition active in NTFS, which boot normal in Legacy Mode. Windows 7 start and worked perfect. Just to test, that windows runs perfect in that way!
Then I boot PE in UEFI Mode and changed the HDD form MBR to GPT and want to install the EFI Bootloader, and there was a new partition 200mb after the Windows partition Fat32, I did not create.
I did not noticed this, and maked every change in the first EFI Partition. Later, if I noticed the second EFI Partition, I erased. I did not know which files I used, but at this time there was no error at booting an Windows 7 sounds to be started, but the screen was black.
I would like to use one or two Linux distributions, Linux Mint(a Ubuntu-Distr) and Cent OS(a Red Heat Distr). They come with grub2 bootloader. But here is the same question: which file is the bootloader: bootx64.efi, grub2.efi, bootmgfw.efi???

The Laptop have two Graphiccards, an Intel4000HD an a Nvidia geforce 670 gtx. Do I have to add both with the Dism command?
Or should I deactivate the Geforce graphic card in Windows 7 legacy mode before trying to change to UEFI?

I’m a Noobie. Maybe some questions are to trivial, but I want to learn by doing this, so I have to try!!!

#43 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

In case of need, a good reference for the BCD:

http://www.mistyproj...Edit/index.html

In a nutshell the BOOTMGR (or bootmgr.efi, and - it depends on the install/OS -  bootmgfw.efi or bootx64.efi ) is a (minimal) command environment that "executes" commands listed in a congfiguration file which is the BCD at boot time., see here:

http://www.mistyproj...faults_uefi.htm

If the BCD is missing or "wrong" the boot fails as the BOOTMGR has either nothing to do or does "wrong" things.

:duff:

Wonko

#44 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

@Setternixe
Well, Windows 7 is a emergency approach at GOP only hardware.
Maintenance may get difficult in future, e.g. debugging a half broken SSD/hard disk.
Avoid this, if possible. MBR legacy is prefered, if available.

https://uefi.org/sit...FI Spec 2_6.pdf

UEFI boot settings are stored in NVRAM, part of the motherboard.
This setting is available at boot.
bcdboot set's NVRAM default to /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

In addition there is backup file name /efi/boot/bootx64.efi.
It's part of the UEFI specification.
This is a backup setting, if tje NVRAM entry is missing.

The UEFI may load either the NVRAM entry (bootmgfw.efi) or the file name (bootx86.efi).
If you press the boot hot key, there may be a boot selection in addition.
Test it at given hardware.

Use only one bcd file.
Remember to remove the second hard disk temporarily.

I didn't tried this at a hybrid graphic card.
Do a lot of different testing. This approach may work or fail finally.

UEFI NVRAM settings are available, if you boot UEFI mode.
Yes, boot the PE in UEFI mode.
Bcdboot copies boot files, set the bcd file and set the NVRAM boot entry.
https://msdn.microso...e/dn898490.aspx

As for mutiboot: load grub2 at UEFI. grub2 can chainload a windows bootmgfw.efi.
The UEFI manufacturer implementation and NVRAM settings define the file name.
This is another question and can be solved later.

Remove the second hard disk, boot a Win8/10 PE at UEFI mode and run the script.
Try add Intel graphic card drivers only at dism.
http://www.e-weekly....0SM/P150ESM.pdf

I would prepare a USB stick for legacy boot in addition. bcdboot.exe can do this.
This is for a debug session if future.
If Windows 7 UEFI boot fails in future, boot the USB stick at legacy mode.
Don't disable vga settings at the USB stick bcd file.
This loads the Windows 7 at GPT disk. Text mode boot messages are displayed at last.

#45 Setternixe

Setternixe
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

I did get it to boot with no error, but the screen is black(I think an issue with the graphic driver!)
I tried the way like ndog37:
- first install Win 7 in Legacy mode, installed all driver
- then changed HDD from MBR to GPT and installed the EFI Bootloader
After booting with black screen I changed back to MBR and at the start there was just the circle and after a long time there was just a blue screen with the mouse cursor and nothing else.I could activate the taskmanager and then the background shows the flower like in normal screen.

I would prepare a USB stick for legacy boot in addition. bcdboot.exe can do this.This is for a debug session if future.If Windows 7 UEFI boot fails in future, boot the USB stick at legacy mode.Don't disable vga settings at the USB stick bcd file.This loads the Windows 7 at GPT disk. Text mode boot messages are displayed at last.

How do I prepare such USB stick for legacy - withbcd.exe? Normaly I install an win7 on USB stick with rufus. And if boot at UEFI failes, then I have to change in BIOS to Legacy or not?
Maybe it´s easier to install Multi-Boot on MBR!
I could show some screens at boot time in Legacy, perhaps you can see, what I explain. How can I upload?
Thx for your help!!

Edited by Setternixe, 07 March 2019 - 08:20 AM.

#46 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

I did get it to boot with no error, but the screen is black(I think an issue with the graphic driver!)

I tried a Thinkpad X230 in the meantime, and I've the same result: black screen.

Well, Windows 7 dosn't support a GOP graphic card.
This approach may work or fail at different UEFI, different hardware and different drivers.

Try BIOS mutlitboot.

#47 kukonosau

kukonosau
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:55 AM

I tried a Thinkpad X230 in the meantime, and I've the same result: black screen.

Well, Windows 7 dosn't support a GOP graphic card.

Do you have solution problem? I have MSI NVIDIA GTX 960 card. Windows 7 started without CSM with FlashBoot Pro 3.3k, but not started NVIDIA driver!!! Error 12:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I reading caution for NVIDIA in FlashBoot site. Other driver devices started successfully!!! Basic driver have error 10: launch device not properly. Sorry for my bad English. What I am doing? UefiSeven and Vgashim doesn't help me. It is error Int10. I have ASUS B350M-K motherboard with latest BIOS. NVIDIA BIOS latest also.

#48 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2022 - 04:45 PM

try display driver uninstaller (DDU) in safe mode, though.

#49 kukonosau

kukonosau
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 02 April 2022 - 12:54 PM

try display driver uninstaller (DDU) in safe mode, though.

This is doesn't help me.

#50 ianl

ianl
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 April 2022 - 12:10 PM

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Using Win 7 on newer PC's confronts this graphics issue.

Essentially, newer motherboards/BIOS built for Win 10 up have no need to allocate resources (IRQ, IO, Memory) for PCIe VGA because Win 10 up does not use it. In short, newer motherboards/BIOS do not arbitrate VGA resource in PCI resource allocations.

So the resource that VGA requires (this includes UHD620/630 graphics chips), eg. c000000 Memory, is allocated to other PCI items. Flashboot Pro manages to keep sufficient for the maximum resolution that the screen is capable of, but Aero cannot be utilised.

I'm still searching for a solution to this. Looking in Device Manager for PCI Resources by connection may show the parameters, but with some MB's you cannot disable the resources needed to allow the grahics driver to operate properly.

If anyone can improve on this, please comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users