• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

There are different levels of UEFI implementation.
http://www.uefi.org/...t_Platforms.pdf

Different Video Support is major importand at Windows 7:
Legacy BIOS: Int10h & VBIOS
UEFI Firmware: Graphics Output Protocol (GOP)

GOP boots faster than Int10h & VBIOS: it's used at Windows 8 fast boot.
Different manufacturer offers differnt options to enable GOP.
Some manufacturer offers a fast boot option to enable or disable.
Or there is a OS optimized setting.

Most manufaturer supports UEFI with CSM nowadays.
Another setting: UEFI with Int10h & VBIOS, no CSM

If possible, use Int10h & VBIOS for Windows 7.
UEFI mode works still.

Contrary a GOP only example C8HM70-I:
http://www.asus.com/...pDesk_Download/
There is a fast boot option at firmware: enabled
UEFI: enabled
CSM: disabled

Windows 7 setup dosn't support GOP only hardware: freeze at loading vga.sys
Therefore disable vga.sys.
Be aware:
this is the fall back graphic adapter driver,
make backups regularily.

Example: adjust the disk number, Image path and index, and graphics driver path.
Boot a Windows 8/10 PE and run

(echo list disk
echo select disk N
echo clean
echo convert gpt
echo create partition efi size=100
echo format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
echo assign letter="S"
echo create partition primary
echo format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
echo assign letter="W"
echo exit ) | diskpart.exe

DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\W7_x64\sources\install.wim /Index:2 /ApplyDir:W:\
BCDboot.exe W:\Windows /s S:

rem disable vga.sys 640x480 16 colors
ren W:\windows\system32\drivers\vga.sys *.off
set Services=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services
reg.exe load HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM W:\Windows\system32\config\system
reg.exe add "%Services%\Vga" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Start" /d 4
reg.exe add "%Services%\VgaSave" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Start" /d 4
reg.exe unload HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM

rem disable vgapnp.sys : novesa on
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} bootlog yes
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} novesa on
bcdedit.exe /store S:\efi\Microsoft\boot\bcd /set {default} quietboot on

rem include graphics driver
Dism.exe /Image:W:\ /Add-Driver /Driver:D:\Drivers\C8HM70\Intel_Graphics\x64\Graphics\igdlh64.inf

This quietboot is quiet: black screen. Watch the hdd activity light instead.
The machine should load the manufacturer graphics driver and reboot. The screen is working now.
  • Brito and sungerbob like this

#2 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:57 AM

@ cdob: I've had issues with 7 hanging on the boot logo on several machines when trying to boot in pure/native UEFI mode (without using things like CSM/legacy, DUET, etc). Are you trying to say that (assuming there are no other issues) that deleting vga.sys is the end-all solution? Or would I still need to use legacy/CSM or DUET? Is this file responsible for the logo hangs when booting in native UEFI mode? And if I remove this file, I assume that I would need to have another video driver installed (Intel HD 515 in my case) that would function as a drop-in replacement? If so then I could just integrate the Intel drivers into my install.wim so that this issue wouldn't occur on a clean install. Will the lack of vga.sys cause an sfc /scannow to report corruption?

#3 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

I've had issues with 7 hanging on the boot logo on several machines when trying to boot in pure/native UEFI mode (without using things like CSM/legacy, DUET, etc). Are you trying to say that (assuming there are no other issues) that deleting vga.sys is the end-all solution?

Windows 7 works at UEFI mode by default, as long there is classic Video Support Int10h & VBIOS.
https://msdn.microso...y/hh824898.aspx

Yes, this is the end-all solution to run Windows 7 at UEFI GOP mode.
However, not supported by the manufacturer.
And dangerous: Windows 7 defaults to vgapnp.sys if a graphic driver goes corrupt or you change a graphic card.
Windows won't boot anymore. Has to be fixed, details are unknown.

Or would I still need to use legacy/CSM or DUET?

No, it's not required.

Is this file responsible for the logo hangs when booting in native UEFI mode?

efi bootmgr, vgapnp.sys and vga.sys are causing issues.
Avoid all VGA output at early boot, the graphic card manufacturer driver has to load first.

I would need to have another video driver installed

Yes, include a appropiate graphic driver. Either to install.wim or to the applied disk, compare the example.

Will the lack of vga.sys cause an sfc /scannow to report corruption?

I don't know. Do not use this approach at a critical importand machine.

Remember: disabling vga*.sys is the last chance.

Different manufacturer offers different solutions to support UEFI with Int10h VBIOS.
A setting UEFI/CSM can be pure CSM mode. Or UEFI mode with enabled VBIOS.
The settings are misleading, expect strange names or dependencies.
Example http://download.giga...d2v(ddr3)_e.pdf
The BIOS Features "Fast Boot", "VGA Support", "Windows 8/10 Features" and "CSM Support" defines the behaviour.

Try to enable Int10h VBIOS first.

#4 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

My current OS installs are currently stable, but knowing my luck and my propensity to fuck up with my unorthodox approaches, there will be issues sooner rather than later. Then I'll reformat my disk and go UEFI again so I can test this. I don't have any other test machines that can serve as a sacricial lamb.

At what point are the video drivers initialized (how early) in the boot phase (whether MS or or Intel)? I would assume it is given high priority, since is rather important, and even the 7 logo could not be displayed if no video driver is initialized. I know I can enable text output-only during boot by using msconfig. Is there another (better) way to enable this, like a Registry setting?

#5 dj-dave

dj-dave
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

It is realy work?! I sped so many times to find solution for use windows 7 wit GOP.

I supouse I must change somethik like disk letter. Can you help me?

#6 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

The C8HM70-I example does work.
May work at other hardware too.

Adjsut local conditions relating to your hardware:

'select disk N' Select the disk number
'/ImageFile:D:\W7_x64\sources\install.wim /Index:2' select used install.wim
'/Add-Driver /Driver:D:\Drivers\C8HM70\Intel_Graphics\x64\Graphics\igdlh64.inf' inculde a appropiate graphics driver

#7 dj-dave

dj-dave
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Sorry but I'm not advanced user and my english was not so good. I need little more explain. I have installed Windows 7. Then run bootable Windows 10 PE. Run script from first post or do somethink before? What is N disk? Driver to include was normal driver for Windows 7? Have I uninstall drivers before? I have Radeon and I found 3 inf file: C7305721.inf, AtihdW76.inf, amdpsp.inf

#8 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

I have installed Windows 7.

Do you run Windows 7 already?
Do you use Windows 7 at CSM mode? At MBR or GPT disk?
Do you like to switch the running Windows 7 to UEFI GOP mode?

Do you use another existing operation system?
Can you clean the harddisk?

Then run bootable Windows 10 PE. Run script from first post or do somethink before? What is N disk?

Do you like to install Windows 7 to an news harddisk?
View Disk Management for the disk number N. Use this number.

Driver to include was normal driver for Windows 7? Have I uninstall drivers before? I have Radeon and I found 3 inf file: C7305721.inf, AtihdW76.inf, amdpsp.inf

Yes, use Windows 7 VGA drivers.
Which hardware do you use? Name the machine, model name, motherboard, graphic card.

#9 dj-dave

dj-dave
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

My config:
i7-6700K
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
2xSSD in RAID 0
Asus Radeon R9 290
On this computer I alredy have Windows 7 at UEFI and GPT.
I dont want change it but can clear or reinstall system if it nessesery. All i want is can disable CMS. Windows work at UEFI but graphic card at VBIOS and CMS must be enable. I want to graphic card work at GOP (R9 290 have GPO support). Then I can disable CMS.
I still don't know N disk. In disk manager I dont have this disk. In Windows 10 PE no N disk too. Have I create partition with letter N? change letter existing disk to N? Plug another disk and name N?

#10 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

Asus Radeon R9 290
On this computer I alredy have Windows 7 at UEFI and GPT.
I dont want change it but can clear or reinstall system if it nessesery. All i want is can disable CMS. Windows work at UEFI but graphic card at VBIOS and CMS must be enable. I want to graphic card work at GOP (R9 290 have GPO support). Then I can disable CMS.

That's the same graphic card in both cases.
And the graphic card drivers are installed already.
Convert the running Windows 7.

Backup the Windows 7 installation.
Boot to Windows 7 and disable VGA:
rem disable vga.sys 640x480 16 colors
rem ren %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\vga.sys *.off
set Services=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
reg.exe add "%Services%\Vga" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Start" /d 4
reg.exe add "%Services%\VgaSave" /f /t REG_DWORD /v "Start" /d 4

rem disable VGA at bootmgr
bcdedit.exe /set {current} bootlog yes
bcdedit.exe /set {current} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures
bcdedit.exe /set {current} novesa on
bcdedit.exe /set {current} quietboot on
Be aware: this is quiet, quiet boot.
You won't see a BSOD, difficult de debug a boot failure.
Remember the created backup.

I still don't know N disk. In disk manager I dont have this disk.

Read N as natural number.
https://en.wikipedia.../Natural_number
https://pl.wikipedia...iczby_naturalne
At running Windows disk mangament shows Disk 0 in most cases: N = 0
It's not required currently.

#11 tieiti98

tieiti98
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

@cdob i did as you suggested but it didn't work with my laptop.
My pc specs:
intel core i5
intel hm76 express chipset
amd radeon hd 7550/7560
BIOS settings gives 2 options: UEFI or Legacy(CSM), but there' s no Load legacy ROM option.
HDD is GPT-formatted, Win8 preinstalled.

I managed to install Win7 in CSM mode, by using a MBR-formatted USB stick to store its boot files. But everytime switch Win8 and Win7, I have to switch the setting in BIOS and bring the USB, which is unconvenient. On the other hand, I don't want to format my HDD from GPT to MBR, that means sacrificing all of my data, manufacturer tools and utilities. So the only choice left is to duel boot Win7 and Win8 in UEFI mode.

First, I did exactly the same as your method, using AMD display drivers. These drivers work perfectly with Win7 in CSM mode. But in UEFI mode with quiet boot on, no matter how long I waited, Win7 didn't reboot, nothing on the screen, the HDD LED was on for a while then turned off forever. The weird thing is that if I disable quiet boot, the Win7 logo appear and hang there, even when no new graphic driver is installed, vga.sys and vgapnp.sys are deleted and disabled in the registry...??

Then I came up with a new idea. I install Win7 in CSM mode, install latest AMD display drivers right after it boot the first time, delete vga.sys and vgapnp.sys. Win7 still reboots successful in CSM mode, the screen works properly. Then I set the volume as high as possible, so that I can hear windows startup and shut down sounds clearly. Finally turn on UEFI, register Win7 in the BCD on EFI partition. Win7 now appears beside Win8 in Windows Boot Manager menu, choose Win7. If quiet boot is on, the screen goes blank, otherwise the logo appears and freezes. But weird things happen again: in both cases, in a minute, the windows startup sound is played, and when I hit Alt+F4 Enter, my pc shuts down immediately with sound again. It's certain that Win7 boots, but the screen alone doesn't work.

Please save me from this hair-pulling problem. There's no way I give up when I have gone this far.

#12 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

If quiet boot is on, the screen goes blank, otherwise the logo appears and freezes. But weird things happen again: in both cases, in a minute, the windows startup sound is played

I understand:
The AMD graphics driver works, but there is a black screen.
There is a issue at monitor detection.

Which hardware do you use? Which laptop do you use?
Is there a Intel/AMD switchable graphics?

#13 tieiti98

tieiti98
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

@cdob thanks for replying. My laptop model is Sony Vaio SVE14136CV, and I think it only has AMD graphics card.

http://www.sony-asia...duct/SVE14136CV

#14 Phoenix0519

Phoenix0519
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:30 PM

I read this topic because I wanted to use Native UEFI for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 on a HP ProBook 4540s with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon HD 7650M. This system supports switchable graphics. I tried booting the OS DVD with UEFI Native without CSM and as expected it failed while Windows was loading and it hung. Then I changed to UEFI Hybrid with CSM and I did a clean install of the Operating System and installed the drivers for the graphics hardware. I adjusted the setting in the firmware setup to UEFI Native without CSM from UEFI Hybrid with CSM. When doing this all I got was a black screen after the HP logo splash screen. I then tried loading "bootx64.efi" under "\EFI\Boot" and "bootmgfw.efi" under "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot" manually and I got an error which showed that "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD" could not be loaded and I got error "0xc000000d". When loading the OS without doing it manually I tried hitting any key to see what would happen and the OS loaded normally. The question is why would I need to hit a key such as ESC or Enter in order to boot. One time I tried I got Windows 7 on a boot list with hitting ESC so I think it is something with the firmware or windows boot manager. I'm using firmware ver. F.61 and I have fast boot and secure boot disabled. I'm using the latest stable driver from AMD which is 15.200.1062.1004 and from Intel which is 10.18.10.4425 according to device manager.

Edited by Phoenix0519, 13 September 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#15 DiscoEST

DiscoEST
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Estonia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

Followed the guide step by step and i get error 0xc000000d on boot \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD. My setup is Win7 enterprise, z170a m5 motherboard, 6700k, and 7970 gpu. Tried installing drivers for integrated graphics and 7970 seperately to see if it worked with one or the other, didn't work, same problem. I can't turn off GOP because i need it to enable Intel Rapid Storage Raid in bios, and i also need to run win7. Help would be greatly appreciated.

#16 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

For one, Windows 7 isn't 100% UEFI-compatible. It works, but may not work well on all hardware. I think the boot errors you guys are getting are more generalized, you have other unrelated issues in play. Try regenerating clean boot files and a clean MBR.

#17 DiscoEST

DiscoEST
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Estonia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

Nevermind, I got it working by copying every efi file in the EFI partition on Gandalfs Windows 10 PE to their respective folders in the Windows 7 EFI. There was one file that wasn't in win 10 so i deleted it (bootmgfw.efi). Took me 20h of trying various methods, but i got M.2 Raid0 working in win7. Also quickboot is nice i guess.

Edited by DiscoEST, 08 October 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#18 ndog37

ndog37

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

AFAIK it's not possible to Install Windows 7 on Class 3 UEFI, because it lacks INT10H? Sorry Actually I don't know what is INT 10H? And it sounds like some BIOS thing, not UEFI..

Anyway in order to find out what exactly is preventing Windows 7 booting on UEFI system, can forum posters confirm which steup they had success/failure with UEFI + Windows 7?

Please record the following and report here.

Including class UEFI, BIOS/UEFI firmware version + graphics hardware, graphics driver used

eg I have two test devices

- Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Class 3 UEFI) - System UEFI 106.1281.768

- HP EliteBook Folio 9470m (UEFI 2.3.1) - BIOS-F.63 Rev.A

Steps

- secure boot off + pure UEFI enabled (no CSM)

- load winPE

- imagex /appy win7x64.wim

- bcdedit

- modify BCD

- dism inject driver

- overwrite \efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi from win10 x64 - as suggested by DiscoEST, means you don't need to mess with testsigning etc, if booting from grub2.efi, and after audit mode/initial setup, T-13, whatever you want to call it, has run, you can then rename it, eg \EFI\Microsoft\win7\bootmgfw.efi, or even \EFI\Boot\win7.efi

Surface Pro 4 (not working)

-Intel® HD Graphics 520

-Intel® Graphics Driver: 21.20.16.4542

HP EliteBook Folio 9470m (working)

-Intel® HD Graphics 4000

-Intel® Graphics Driver: 10.18.10.4425

Thanks

Edited by ndog37, 23 January 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#19 orgixmh

orgixmh
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Greece

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hello, thanks for the guide, i was trying to boot in pure uefi without success.
I installed w7 in gtp with uefi support, configured bcd for no output, removed vga.sys, installed gpu driver but without cms system boots to windows, i can hear welcome sound but no image at all, monitor stay connected but getting black image.
My system mobo is Rampage IV formula and gpu is Nvidia 750ti.

May nvidia driver fail? Also i cant get image with vnc, i get a black 1024x768 framebuffer.

Any help will be appreciate. Thanks.

Edited by orgixmh, 29 April 2017 - 11:55 AM.

#20 sungerbob

sungerbob
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

thank you, i can finally installed win7 on shit win8 based tablet

#21 TheWalkingFroggy

TheWalkingFroggy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:43 PM

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but I hope you can help me. I have an Acer Aspire A515-51G-51V7 that blocks Win7 installation on UEFI. Currently running it on Legacy though.

I'd like to try this way but I'm worried about two things:
1) I'm using a specific version of Intel Graphics Driver. The setup wouldn't load for me (telling that the system was outdated), but I added a string in the .inf file (following a tutorial on internet) and the driver works. Will the inject to HDD still work in this case?

2) Is there a way I can do a backup or something of the vga.sys settings? Just in case something goes wrong.. I don't wanna stay with a PC in Black screen! Thank you.

#22 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:47 PM

0) Do you like to new install windows 7?
Do you like to convert the windows 7? Adapt ControlSet001 to current settings.

1) Sorry, I don't know. A Intel graphics driver did work in the past.
A diffent driver version may behave different at different hardware.
You have to try at real hardware.
The .inf is not signed anymore, but the .sys are signed stil. Use Dism.exe /Add-Driver /ForceUnsigend
https://docs.microso...e-windows-image
Injecting drivers should work still.

2) Backup the whole windows 7.
The file %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system matches registry HKLM\SYSTEM\. This incldues the vga.sys settings.
Backup the file %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system.
The suggestion was to rename vga.sys to vga.off.

#23 TheWalkingFroggy

TheWalkingFroggy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

0) Do you like to new install windows 7?Do you like to convert the windows 7? Adapt ControlSet001 to current settings.1) Sorry, I don't know. A Intel graphics driver did work in the past.A diffent driver version may behave different at different hardware.You have to try at real hardware.The .inf is not signed anymore, but the .sys are signed stil. Use Dism.exe /Add-Driver /ForceUnsigendhttps://docs.microso...e-windows-imageInjecting drivers should work still.2) Backup the whole windows 7.The file %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system matches registry HKLM\SYSTEM\. This incldues the vga.sys settings.Backup the file %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system.The suggestion was to rename vga.sys to vga.off.

Hello! Thank you for the quick reply.
What should I do with ControlSet001? I suppose it's registry value?

-Yes, that makes sense. I'll try that. This also should explain why, when I tried time ago to inject the Intel Graphics directly to the USB Win installer, it failed. Thank you.

-Wait so, should I backup the file %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system or the whole Windows? And, if something wrong happens (like the permanent black screen) how am I supposed to restore the OS?

Also, can I skip the diskpart steps? As I know the CLEAN command wipes the ENTIRE disk, and I have 2 partitions: one with OS and one with data I need. To convert from MBR to GPT and viceversa I use Minitool Partition Wizard, it does this conversion without wiping the entire disk. So I can just format the partition with Windows.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure

Edited by TheWalkingFroggy, 21 November 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#24 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

Last Known Good
https://blogs.techne...ast-known-good/
Does HKLM\system\select contains a 1 ? Yes, use ControlSet001.
This is the default setting after DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:install.wim

Backup both: File %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system and the whole Windows.
And backup the data partition.
Boot another OS to copy files back or restore.

Diskpart clean is not required, no need to delete a existing data partition.

#25 TheWalkingFroggy

TheWalkingFroggy
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

Last Known Goodhttps://blogs.techne...ast-known-good/Does HKLM\system\select contains a 1 ? Yes, use ControlSet001.This is the default setting after DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:install.wimBackup both: File %SystemRoot%\system32\config\system and the whole Windows.And backup the data partition.Boot another OS to copy files back or restore.Diskpart clean is not required, no need to delete a existing data partition.

Hello, thank you again.
I'll try all this ASAP. I'm trying to do an Image Backup via Windows Utility but I get an error: it says that one of the partitions that I'm trying to backup is probably not formatted in NTFS (tbh it says the reasons could be more, but I think this is the cause because my SYSTEM EFI partition is in FAT32 indeed).
Do you know a program or something that lets me do this Backup?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users