5 replies to this topic

#1 BinaryMan

BinaryMan
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

OK, so I read this thread: http://reboot.pro/to...igration-tools/. However, I didn't have the chance to prepare before the change (my ASUS Z77 BIOS just would not even come up with the SSD connected, ruled out drive or sata cable failure). I replaced the mobo with the ASUS Z97-A but Acronis Universal Restore could not get my Win7 instance to boot up.

I'd like to figure out how I can repair an instance that was not sysprep or anything. My second SSD has a new working Win7 instance which can make it easier to work. I have an acronis TIB of the original Win7 drive as well. I had a couple of different strategies but need some advice:

- some way to sysprep "offline" with a boot disk utility, or otherwise put the OOBE mode on / detect HAL / etc; remove old drivers and let it detect and use generic so I can get online and update drivers (I also have the mobo CD)

- image a VHD or WIM, get the partition to boot up in a VM with generic drivers, then do a proper sysprep "online"

- find a boot utility that will replace the drivers (injection) directly in the instance, and match hardward IDs to drivers online or something

Does anyone have tools or advice on how I could repair the instance? Acronis Universal Recovery could not match the USB driver no matter what I gave to it, but I don't think that would prevent a sysprep instance from at least booting up, at which point I can fix driver issues.

I think the term for what I am doing might be "generalize a Win7 instance offline". 

Edited by BinaryMan, 09 April 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#2 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Hi BinaryMan & welcome to reboot.pro,

Paragon Adaptive restore should work for this. look for ParagonAdpaptiveRestore2010.iso

other ways would be with wimb's .vhd conversion tools I think. search for member "wimb" here.

#3 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

ASUS Z77 BIOS just would not even come up with the SSD connected
I replaced the mobo with the ASUS Z97-A

Did you install Intel AHCI drivers at Z77 board?

Boot a Windows 7 DVD, press shift F10, run regedit, open offline registry and configure service msahci to start=0.

Or run fix7hdc to do configure service.
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24245

#4 BinaryMan

BinaryMan
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

Did you install Intel AHCI drivers at Z77 board?

Boot a Windows 7 DVD, press shift F10, run regedit, open offline registry and configure service msahci to start=0.

Or run fix7hdc to do configure service.
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24245

No there was no change. I've been using it for a couple years and it just randomly on restarting decided it wouldn't do anything (not even go into BIOS) with the drive attached. Managed to get it working after randomly booting with some drives connected/disconnected and restoring last backup from Acronis, but I noted when I though the SSD was defective and bought a second one, that imaging the second one resulted in the same problem (flaky BIOS detection of bootable partitions or something?). Last week it started doing that again (randomly, on a restart) so I felt a new mobo might have better support or detection for the SSD (or whatever was causing it). The Z97 is fine in that regard.

#5 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

No there was no change.

Both chipsets are similiar, there is no need for sysprep or OOBE mode on / detect HAL / etc

Apply the mentioned registry change:
boot the working SSD and configure windows at the other SSD,

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:15 AM

And (possibly for others searching this in the future), don't forget the possibility of a NON-Destructive Reinstall from the CD.  This can be used to install over top of an existing (but non functional) OS...Just google for it...I have used this in the past to migrate an install from an Intel to an AMD system (as well as the other way around)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users