4 replies to this topic

#1 Colonies_Chris

Colonies_Chris
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

I was fixing a friend's W7 PC that wasn't booting. I got into it using the Mini Windows XP that's on Hiren's Boot CD, and from there used the right-click menu in Windows Explorer to save an image of the C drive. I think that uses ImDisk to make the image. I've got the image on an external hard drive (76GB of it). I've tried to use ImDisk to recover the files onto my own W7 PC (mounting it as a drive letter) but ImDisk just tells me that the volume does not contain a valid file system, and asks if I want to format it. Am I doing something wrong? (My friend's PC is now working fine, after I had to do a factory reset, but she would like to get her data back from the C drive).

Edited by Colonies_Chris, 21 January 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#2 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

It seems you are using ImDisk Toolkit. I just tried the same thing with the latest version, and it works for me.
When you was using the Hiren's Boot CD, had you an access to the content of C: ?

#3 Colonies_Chris

Colonies_Chris
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Yes, I was able to see the folders and file structure - I didn't try to explore in depth. CHKDSK found and fixed some problems with the disk, but nothing fundamental - that disk is fine now, and I'd like to reinstate the files I thought I had backed up. 

Edited by Colonies_Chris, 21 January 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#4 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

I am not very optimistic, but just in case, try this command in a command prompt:
imdisk -a -f D:\backup.img -m Z: -b auto
Of course, replace D:\backup.img by the name and path of your image file.
If you still cannot access the content of Z:, it likely means that the image file was not properly registered.

#5 Colonies_Chris

Colonies_Chris
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks, I've run that and it seemed to complete OK, but Z is inaccessible (the response to DIR Z: is 'volume does not contain a recognised file system'. What does 'not properly registered' mean? Can I do anything to fix it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users