600 replies to this topic

#51 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

Thank you fujianabc. Very good work. I tried your installer on Hitachi USB drive and it worked perfectly.Can your installer be added to Win7PE disk and used from it with maybe the install.wim on a flashdrive?
Thank you again

Yes, install.wim can be located on any media: hard drive, dvd, flash media, network etc.

#52 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

Can your installer be added to Win7PE disk and used from it with maybe the install.wim on a flashdrive?

After booting with 7PE.iso made according to,
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9722
I tried to use NT6.x fast installer, but got file ureg.dll is missing.

On booting with pe3.iso of improved Windows PE 3.0 I can use NT6.x fast installer very well.
NT6.x fast installer is launched from PStart menu without any problem :lol:

http://www.911cd.net...mp;#entry161011

#53 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

After booting with 7PE.iso made according to,
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9722
I tried to use NT6.x fast installer, but got file ureg.dll is missing.
http://www.911cd.net...mp;#entry161011

This means ureg.dll is missing in the 7pe.iso, you should add the dll file to your pe.

#54 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

This means ureg.dll is missing in the 7pe.iso, you should add the dll file to your pe.

Sure, I know, but the pe3.iso is for me at the moment preferable because of small size and simplicity.

It allows fast booting from e.g. USB-stick and can make use of Portable Programs from PStart Menu.

#55 Escorpiom

Escorpiom

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

It seems to be a very nice tool, but something weird is happening.
I'm trying to install a Spanish Windows 7 64-bit, everything goes well but at the end of the process this error pops up:
"bootstr.dll.mui is not a valid image" followed by "bootstr.dll is not a valid image" or similar.
After that, it says the bootsector has been created and so, but when rebooting....boot failure.

To get it to work, I have to format C:, run the tool again and then it boots just fine.
Not formatting C: first gives a blue screen when the program asks for the install partition (in this case C:).

I run the tool from a XP based PE image loaded over the network, using the exact versions of the files specified in post number 2.
Any tips?

#56 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

To get it to work, I have to format C:, run the tool again and then it boots just fine.
Not formatting C: first gives a blue screen when the program asks for the install partition (in this case C:).

I run the tool from a XP based PE image loaded over the network, using the exact versions of the files specified in post number 2.
Any tips?

Reading the thread? :(

This is only an "installer" :cheers: , which means you should create/format the partition yourself.

I did't include any process of a partition in this installer.

You need to create the partition, set active and format before you start this installer.

:smiling9:

:cheers:

Wonko

#57 Escorpiom

Escorpiom

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Sorry, seems I did not provide all the info, obviously I did read the topic and the partition is formatted NTFS and active before running the tool.
Point is, after the failed installation, it is not possible to run the tool again without formatting first, but that's not the problem.
Would not post this in the first place without exploring the whole thread, some people do read.

It errors out on the first attempt, on a freshly formatted partition.
BTW, just done this on a Windows 7 based PE image, works fine so it is related to the XP based PE image.
Thanks for any ideas on this.

#58 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

Sorry, seems I did not provide all the info, obviously I did read the topic and the partition is formatted NTFS and active before running the tool.
Point is, after the failed installation, it is not possible to run the tool again without formatting first, but that's not the problem.
Would not post this in the first place without exploring the whole thread, some people do read.

It errors out on the first attempt, on a freshly formatted partition.
BTW, just done this on a Windows 7 based PE image, works fine so it is related to the XP based PE image.
Thanks for any ideas on this.

I see. :cheers:

If you create a partition with Windows XP, the MBR will have Windows XP MBR code :cheers: <-and this shouldn't be a problem :cheers:
If you format the partition under Windows XP, the PBR or bootsector will have Windows XP PBR code :( <-and this is probably the problem. :(

The MBR code is generally speaking "OS agnostic", whilst the PBR of bootsector will invoke the specific OS system file(s).
In the case of NT/2K/XP/2003 the bootsector invokes NTLDR.
In the case of Vista/2008/7 it invokes BOOTMGR.

After you formatted the partition with XP and before using the installer, try "fixing" the bootsector.

You can use:
bootsect.exe (part of Vista/2008/7 with /nt60 option:
or bootrec.exe
http://neosmart.net/...or-not-the-mbr/
with the /fixboot option.
(bootsect.exe should run allright under XP/PE 1.x)

You may want to also try to "fix" the MBR, but as said there should be no need for this:
MBRFIX:
http://www.sysint.no...ting/mbrfix.htm
or the above mentioned bootrec /fixmbr

There could be also another kind of problem, which is "partition alignment", though it should NOT be relevant to the problem at hand, but you may want to know it if you work in a "mixed OS" environment:
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=9897&hl=

Wonko

#59 Escorpiom

Escorpiom

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

I see. :cheers:

If you create a partition with Windows XP, the MBR will have Windows XP MBR code :cheers: <-and this shouldn't be a problem :cheers:
If you format the partition under Windows XP, the PBR or bootsector will have Windows XP PBR code :( <-and this is probably the problem. :(

The MBR code is generally speaking "OS agnostic", whilst the PBR of bootsector will invoke the specific OS system file(s).
In the case of NT/2K/XP/2003 the bootsector invokes NTLDR.
In the case of Vista/2008/7 it invokes BOOTMGR.

After you formatted the partition with XP and before using the installer, try "fixing" the bootsector.

You can use:
bootsect.exe (part of Vista/2008/7 with /nt60 option:
or bootrec.exe
http://neosmart.net/...or-not-the-mbr/
with the /fixboot option.
(bootsect.exe should run allright under XP/PE 1.x)

Wonko

Spot on Wonko, that makes sense, will use bootsect.exe -before- running the tool and test it again.
My impression was that the bootsect.exe in the script would take care of that, but perhaps I'm overlooking something.
At first it seemed like a language problem. Oh well.

Let's try it, will get back after testing.

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

#60 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

I'm trying to install a Spanish Windows 7 64-bit, everything goes well but at the end of the process this error pops up:
"bootstr.dll.mui is not a valid image" followed by "bootstr.dll is not a valid image" or similar.
After that, it says the bootsector has been created and so, but when rebooting....boot failure.

Is your windows source a multi-language version?

#61 Escorpiom

Escorpiom

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

Is your windows source a multi-language version?

Hello fujianabc,

My source is not multi language, it's only Spanish. I just tested with 32 bit version and the same error pops up.
The Windows XP based PE image I'm using is in fact from the NativeEx project with standard options.

@Wonko:
This time I tested it executing first the "bootsect.exe /nt60 c:" command, started the tool but when the script asks for the install partition, blue screen at once "irql_not_less_or_equal".
The partition was previously formatted and set active.

Using a Windows 7 based PE image all is well, but my goal is to run it from XP based PE image because it's smaller and loads faster.

Thanks for your support.
Cheers,
Escorpiom.

#62 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:23 AM

Using a Windows 7 based PE image all is well, but my goal is to run it from XP based PE image because it's smaller and loads faster.

Make_PE3.cmd creates Windows PE 3.0 + GUI as ISO Boot Image of 170 MB
which boots from GRUB4DOS Menu in 30 sec from HDD or in 4 min from USB-stick into RAMDISK.

http://www.boot-land...?...10250&st=33

#63 Escorpiom

Escorpiom

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

Make_PE3.cmd creates Windows PE 3.0 + GUI as ISO Boot Image of 170 MB
which boots from GRUB4DOS Menu in 30 sec from HDD or in 4 min from USB-stick into RAMDISK.

http://www.boot-land...?...10250&st=33

Hello Wimb,
170MB is still more than twice the size of my NativeEx image. Currently booting 80MB XP based PE-image over the network and it has some basic stuff, the rest is on a network share. At the moment that's all I need.
Will continue to try and pinpoint the problem.

Cheers
Escorpiom.

#64 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hi Fujianabc,

Try to use installer.cmd from win7pe.
Continuously asking "SetWimpath.cmd needed" and Press any key to exit...

I didn't find such a file like that in folder.
Some curiousity in your WinCMD.exe file.
I've found some lines are calling ForX\Auto*.inf,AutoRunVirus,0,File%AutoRunVirus%

What does it mean? any related with Win7 installation?

Thanks in advance.

YahooUK

#65 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hello fujianabc,

My source is not multi language, it's only Spanish. I just tested with 32 bit version and the same error pops up.
The Windows XP based PE image I'm using is in fact from the NativeEx project with standard options.

@Wonko:
This time I tested it executing first the "bootsect.exe /nt60 c:" command, started the tool but when the script asks for the install partition, blue screen at once "irql_not_less_or_equal".
The partition was previously formatted and set active.

Thanks for your support.
Cheers,
Escorpiom.

BSOD happens when you execute bootsect?

This should be the bug in your winpe.

#66 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hi Fujianabc,

Try to use installer.cmd from win7pe.
Continuously asking "SetWimpath.cmd needed" and Press any key to exit...

I didn't find such a file like that in folder.
Some curiousity in your WinCMD.exe file.
I've found some lines are calling ForX\Auto*.inf,AutoRunVirus,0,File%AutoRunVirus%

What does it mean? any related with Win7 installation?

Thanks in advance.

YahooUK

Something strange when you run wincmd.exe?

Wincmd is just an interpreter for some code.

#67 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

Something strange when you run wincmd.exe?

Wincmd is just an interpreter for some code.

When execute Wincmd.exe...?
Not a strange, but some lines are injected into reg keys.

When I select Install.wim, it said SetWimpath.cmd is not recognized as an internal or external commnad.

I've successfully instlled into external HDD from XP pro sp3.
It does work well on both laptops and desktop too.
Edit: I tested with Sandisk 16gb. Extract time 8 to 10 hours :smiling9: and install time 5 hours, and boot failed. :cheers:
Freezing in the state of install devices. :cheers: Might be my bios is strange.

Thanks.

#68 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

When execute Wincmd.exe...?
Not a strange, but some lines are injected into reg keys.

When I select Install.wim, it said SetWimpath.cmd is not recognized as an internal or external commnad.

I've successfully instlled into external HDD from XP pro sp3.
It does work well on both laptops and desktop too.
Edit: I tested with Sandisk 16gb. Extract time 8 to 10 hours :smiling9: and install time 5 hours, and boot failed. :cheers:
Freezing in the state of install devices. :cheers: Might be my bios is strange.

Thanks.

I think some problem happens when running wincmd.exe in your winpe, because wincmd.exe is used to select the install.wim.

In xp sp3, everything is normal.

As for Sandisk, win 7 can only boot from external hard disk and it can not boot from flash disk which is "removable disk" in the system.

#69 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

I think some problem happens when running wincmd.exe in your winpe, because wincmd.exe is used to select the install.wim.

In xp sp3, everything is normal.

As for Sandisk, win 7 can only boot from external hard disk and it can not boot from flash disk which is "removable disk" in the system.

Thanks for your reply.
Something which I considered my issue is that....
1. I am using 64bit 7pe.
2. Wimcmd.exe is not correctly running from 64bit version or other scripts or exe files are not correctly running.
3. imageX.exe version problem.

vLite version of install.wim is faster than original one and save more spaces on my external HDD. Just only 6gb storage space (64bit version) just removed all other languages.

Thanks for your magic stuff.

YahooUK

#70 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I like this tutorial and tool a lot.

Very straightforward.

#71 L A M A

L A M A

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Nice! :smiling9:

#72 Tech Dread

Tech Dread
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:25 AM

I finally got Windows 7 up and running on an USB hard drive. Seems it would be a simple matter to get it working on an USB flash drive. Is it possible? What do I "not know"?

Kudos for working on USB HDD. Very Happy! :smiling9:

TD

BTW, install routine was 8:24! Blazing Fast!

#73 Escorpiom

Escorpiom

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    Colombia

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

BSOD happens when you execute bootsect?

This should be the bug in your winpe.

Hello fujianabc,

No, bootsect.exe works fine. But if I execute it before running the tool, I'll get the BSOD at the very moment your tool asks for the install partition.
I'll try to explain what happened originally:

Boot from windows XP based PE-image loaded in RAM (network boot).
Format partition and set it active.
Execute your tool, choose install partition and the process starts.
At the end, an error pops ups "bootstr.dll.mui is not a valid image" followed by "bootstr.dll is not a valid image" or similar.
The tool finishes normally, but when rebooting, no boot.

After that I reload the Windows XP based PE image.
Format the drive again.
Restart the tool, same errors pop up BUT
when rebooting W7 loads fine.

No idea why it works the second time around. As said, there is no problem with Windows 7 based PE image.

@Yahoouk: Setwimpath.cmd is created when running the tool. For some reason, the file is not created. Try moving your folder with tool to your desktop and run it again. I got that same error before.

@Tech Dread: You would have to use something called "flip removable bit" on your USB stick. There are some tools to do this. Your stick will then be recognized as USB HDD and you can install W7 on it.

Cheers,
Escorpiom.

#74 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:41 AM

1. I am using 64bit 7pe.

This is the problem.

All the exe files are 32 bit and they cannot run in 64 bit winpe.
But they can run in wow64 in 64 bit windows.

Seems it would be a simple matter to get it working on an USB flash drive. Is it possible?

It's not simple. To boot win7 from usb flash, one should find a driver to make the flash drive as "fixed drive" instead of "removable drive".

May be the usb drive in win7 embedded can, but I have not tried.

#75 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

It's not simple. To boot win7 from usb flash, one should find a driver to make the flash drive as "fixed drive" instead of "removable drive".

May be the usb drive in win7 embedded can, but I have not tried.

Anyone tried the XP filter drivers (cfadisk.sys and/or dummydisk.sys)? :smiling9:

@Tech Dread
The "right" way is obviously that of "flipping the bit".
To do so you need to find the specific "Manufacturer's Tool" (if available).

Run Chipgenius on your stick and start a new thread with the info you get, and I'll try and help you finding the tool:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4661

:(

Wonko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users