#26 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hi jaclaz,
just an addition, I do not know in details but I can say WimcaptEx.exe can be used with only "wimgapi.dll 32bit" on hostosx64 (post 130)
:)

#27 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Maybe it is possible to not use imagex (and thus need not the WAIK) by using WimcaptEx.exe ;):
http://nativeex.boot...x/WimCaptEx.htm
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9765

Thank you for your suggesttion. :)
But this is not a good idea. :)
My current installer can install vista and win7, but there is no wimmount.sys or wimserv.exe in vista's install.wim. On the other hand, even you only install win7, when you install x64 win7 under x86 windows/winpe or install x86 win7 under x64 windows, wimmount.sys cannot be used.

#28 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for your suggesttion. :)
But this is not a good idea. ;)
My current installer can install vista and win7, but there is no wimmount.sys or wimserv.exe in vista's install.wim. On the other hand, even you only install win7, when you install x64 win7 under x86 windows/winpe or install x86 win7 under x64 windows, wimmount.sys cannot be used.

Sure. :)

I simply did not consider Vista as an OS system worth to be installed (actually as an OS at all). :)

Really cannot say anything about x64, I got from Lancelot that wimcaptex (and my batches) worked on x64 as well:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=9765&st=1

:)

jaclaz

#29 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

On the other hand, even you only install win7, when you install x64 win7 under x86 windows/winpe or install x86 win7 under x64 windows, wimmount.sys cannot be used.

Yes there is cross mismatch,
but
on a hostx64 (windowsx64-pex64), WimcaptEx.exe + wimgapi.dll can be used for all type of sources. At least for win7 :) ( I do not know vista or win7 much but i am sure wimgapi exists on win7 source) ;)

#30 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yes there is cross mismatch,
but
on a hostx64 (windowsx64-pex64), WimcaptEx.exe + wimgapi.dll can be used for all type of sources. At least for win7 :) ( I do not know vista or win7 much but i am sure wimgapi exists on win7 source) ;)

But if you want to install a x64 win7 from x86host (many people want to install x64 win7 from x86 winpe), the 64bit dll from install.wim will not work.

#31 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

fujianabc
:) I collect good reasons to have PEx64 (which can be created at any hostos) at hand + WimcaptEx.exe. ;)

#32 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

fujianabc
;) I collect good reasons to have PEx64 (which can be created at any hostos) at hand + WimcaptEx.exe. :)

This is one of the very few advantages of x64pe :) .

Up till now, x64 pe is very inconvenient for most people, since there is no wow64 in x64 pe, and 32 bit programs cannot run in x64pe

#33 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

since there is no wow64 in x64 pe, and 32 bit programs cannot run in x64pe

Ehm, lets clean the dust in ears :) . wow64 available on LiveXP (thanks to JFX) and I guess will be available on multi7pe and vistapeleopard this year. ;)

#34 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Ehm, lets clean the dust in ears :D . wow64 available on LiveXP (thanks to JFX) and I guess will be available on multi7pe and vistapeleopard this year. :)

Yes, might be this year, ;)
When I clicked on this topic last week Sat, my 2 home PCs were infected with Ad-ware, and dead of IE. :)
Today, the first time I can access to Boot-land ;) from my work.

Happy Year to all members. :)

YahooUK

#35 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

Thank you for sharing this idea! Keep it upI have one question fujianabc. I want to convert an already working XP partition with applications to VHD using HD to VHD tool found here. http://download.sysi...es/Disk2vhd.zip Then, I can convert the VHD using GImageX to .wim file.

Now after this, can I add it into your setup and install Windows XP using the wim image that I created?

Thanks!

#36 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

Ehm, lets clean the dust in ears :D . wow64 available on LiveXP (thanks to JFX) and I guess will be available on multi7pe and vistapeleopard this year. ;)

Thank you for giving me the news. I'll try the livexp with wow64 these days.

Thank you for sharing this idea! Keep it upI have one question fujianabc. I want to convert an already working XP partition with applications to VHD using HD to VHD tool found here. http://download.sysi...es/Disk2vhd.zip Then, I can convert the VHD using GImageX to .wim file.

Now after this, can I add it into your setup and install Windows XP using the wim image that I created?

Thanks!

First, I think you can directly capture the xp partition to wim with imagex or gimagex. You needn't convert it to vhd.

Secondly, I think my current installer cannot directly install the xp wim image. But it is very easy for you to install the xp wim image with imagex. You only need to imagex/apply the wim to a partition and then edit the boot.ini.

#37 Rocky Essing

Rocky Essing

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

I'm in a situation where we need to deploy Windows7. I used this tool to install Windows onto a SATA HDD which was attached with a usb adapter. When I took the drive out of the adapter and placed into the machine we were trying to deploy, it wouldn't boot. I took the drive and hooked it back up to my machine via USB and noticed that it wasn't set as active in Drive Management. Once I set it as active, I was able to boot it successfully in the other machine. Is booting from USB different from booting internally, as far as active partitions go? I don't see anywhere in the code where the partition is set active.

#38 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

I'm in a situation where we need to deploy Windows7. I used this tool to install Windows onto a SATA HDD which was attached with a usb adapter. When I took the drive out of the adapter and placed into the machine we were trying to deploy, it wouldn't boot. I took the drive and hooked it back up to my machine via USB and noticed that it wasn't set as active in Drive Management. Once I set it as active, I was able to boot it successfully in the other machine. Is booting from USB different from booting internally, as far as active partitions go? I don't see anywhere in the code where the partition is set active.

I did't include any process of a partition in this installer.

You need to create the partition, set active and format before you start this installer.

#39 Rocky Essing

Rocky Essing

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

I did't include any process of a partition in this installer.

You need to create the partition, set active and format before you start this installer.

OK. That makes sense. From the instruction on this forum and in the readme, it's not clear that this tool can be used for other purposes than installing to USB. Or maybe I'm just the first to try. I any case, thanks for a great tool that will save me much time in the future.

#40 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:1_Making Unattended and Customized XP<br /><br />2_Making different types of Bootable and Multiboot CD/DVD<br /><br />3_Like to learn more about grub and grub4DOS
  •  
    Iran

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Hi fujianabc

1.I have tested your nt6.x in several situations ,it's ok most of the times,
but some times it gives error that "Can not copy install.wim and boot.wim"
and even i copy that files to needed folder it does not cntinue.
I could not understand what is the problem (i have tested and i am sure my source
files are OK).
2.It is really very good prgramming and very useful application.Can you update
it so to be able to run from DVD?

shirin zaban

#41 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi fujianabc

1.I have tested your nt6.x in several situations ,it's ok most of the times,
but some times it gives error that "Can not copy install.wim and boot.wim"
and even i copy that files to needed folder it does not cntinue.
I could not understand what is the problem (i have tested and i am sure my source
files are OK).
2.It is really very good prgramming and very useful application.Can you update
it so to be able to run from DVD?

shirin zaban

I have even no prompt "Can not copy install.wim and boot.wim" in the script, can you give a plot?

#42 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

fujianabc :whistling:
Very interesting and Thanks a lot.
Tested with no success. Windows is looping as following state:
"Setup is preparing your computer for first use" and after a while restart.
Build environment = xp pro sp3.
Source = Win 7 ultimate 32bit.
Destination = slim usb hdd 300gb, 40Gb first primary partition active
Gigabyte GA73PVM mobo, p4 3.0, 2 gb ram
Here, attached some reg files (runonce, setup) after looping.

Attached File  setup.7z   3.59KB   4171 downloads

B Regards,

YahooUK

#43 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:51 AM

The WIM (Windows imaging format) is interesting :
http://en.wikipedia...._Imaging_Format

but there is a speed problem being file-based, in comparison with other sector-based imaging solution like Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Edit (add) : there is an advantage though, using the WIM/imagex method. This allows installing dual boot system, for example by installing to D: partition where C: already contains an old XP. The dual boot does not destroy current data in D: (good), which is not the case by restoring image sector-based as with Ghost/True Image.

#44 fujianabc

fujianabc

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

fujianabc :ranting2:
Very interesting and Thanks a lot.
Tested with no success. Windows is looping as following state:
"Setup is preparing your computer for first use" and after a while restart.
Build environment = xp pro sp3.
Source = Win 7 ultimate 32bit.
Destination = slim usb hdd 300gb, 40Gb first primary partition active
Gigabyte GA73PVM mobo, p4 3.0, 2 gb ram
Here, attached some reg files (runonce, setup) after looping.

Attached File  setup.7z   3.59KB   4171 downloads

B Regards,

YahooUK

Very strange :whistling: , some problems happen during oobe?

#45 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

No problem at oobe running. Formating several times and tested with partition or whole disk. not succeeded at all. I think it would be my buggy mobo.
So I retested at work with DELL Optiplex 760 mini PC.
First time, not working with first primary partition active mode.
Second time, not working with whole volume active mode.
Third time, :lol: it did work with first primary partition active mode.
Flawlessly working but not working with other type of PCs at all. (when trying, \sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown , fatal error occurs and never worked for me.)
Experienced with some errors as follows.
1. depends on the USB ports. (if not working with front ports, try with back ports as mostly working with back ports)
2. depends on mobos. (some not working and black screen and freezing.

Many thanks,

YahooUK

#46 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Experienced with some errors as follows.
1. depends on the USB ports. (if not working with front ports, try with back ports as mostly working with back ports)
2. depends on mobos. (some not working and black screen and freezing.

I would phrase #1 as "ALWAYS use the back ports when experimenting, ONLY try the front ones AFTER you managed to succeed with the back ones".
http://www.911cd.net...o...=18873&st=4

About #2, it is possible that the "correspondent" to the Dietmar's modified NTDETECT.COM is needed :lol:, that single little file has proved to solve problems on a multitude of Motherboards for XP/2003 (strangely enough being at the time DELL motherboards the most common troublemakers).

Wonko

#47 yahoouk

yahoouk

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

About #2, it is possible that the "correspondent" to the Dietmar's modified NTDETECT.COM is needed , that single little file has proved to solve problems on a multitude of Motherboards for XP/2003 (strangely enough being at the time DELL motherboards the most common troublemakers).

Could you guide me how to use NTDETECT.COM in windows 7, please?

Thank you.

YahooUK

#48 was_JFX

was_JFX

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 483 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

Could you guide me how to use NTDETECT.COM in windows 7, please?

Is not possible, NTDETECT.COM was used by NTLDR, 7 and vista using BOOTMGR which has the functionality of NTDETECT.COM build in.

:lol:

#49 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

Is not possible, NTDETECT.COM was used by NTLDR, 7 and vista using BOOTMGR which has the functionality of NTDETECT.COM build in.

:lol:

Yep ;), on XP/2003 the SP1 NTDETECT.COM has proved to be more "wide-minded" than later versions.
For Vista/7 we would need an equivalent BOOTMGR, maybe experimenting with latest Longhorn builds, but I doubt that it would help in solving these kind of problems (IF it works at all) ;)

Wonko

#50 gearmaker

gearmaker

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:06 AM

Thank you fujianabc. Very good work. I tried your installer on Hitachi USB drive and it worked perfectly.Can your installer be added to Win7PE disk and used from it with maybe the install.wim on a flashdrive?
Thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users