#1 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hello,

I really need some help and I would be grateful if I could get help. I have installed and downloaded the LiveXP files necessary for Winbuilder. I have a custom made XP bootable from usb from someone however I would like to create my own so that I can choose what apps to put in. The file, i.e which boots using a filename "BootSDI.img", I believe I need to create is my problem. I have followed several steps from this forum as well as other means, however I cannot create a bootsdi.img in winbuilder, even though I have (Drivers - 5)firadisk, selecting grub4dos in (Build)definebootsector and bootsdi (Create Image), enabled.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thank You in advance.

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

If you need more information, please let me know.

We do. :whistling:

Post EXACT links to WHAT you have and to WHAT (exactly) you have attempted doing.
What you posted is in carpenters comparison:
Hi peeps I just got some wood, it is pine wood, I have read somewhere that I have to make planks of it, but with *some tool* and following *some instructions* I got from *somewhere* or using the advice that *some friend of mine* gave me I cannot. :w00t:

Just in case, standard litany:
http://homepages.tes...ard-litany.html

OR (advised :thumbsup:) forget (temporarily ;)) ANYTHNG you have done and read and downloaded till now, and start again from scratch using THIS (and ONLY THIS) "frozen" Amalux's build and his excellent tutorial for beginners:
http://reboot.pro/4111/

Follow it TO THE LETTER, introducing NO variations of ANY kind.

Once you will have:
  • a working build
  • familiarized yourself with the tool(s)
we'll talk about variations/changes/mods/whatever.

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

Giving this a go now... Thanks for replying...

Will let you know when I have a working build. I however want this build to be on USB not on CD...

Once I have created the ISO, not sure where I go from here and how I can load it onto a usb and make the usb bootable...

If you wish to make a comment on this while I create a build :)..

Dips

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Giving this a go now... Thanks for replying...

Will let you know when I have a working build. I however want this build to be on USB not on CD...

Guess WHAT the chapter casually titled:
http://reboot.pro/4111/

Advanced Options: Booting your PE from USB

is about? ;)

And WHAT possibly may be this:

Mini-Tutorial: Booting PE from Hard Drive or UFD.

related to? :dubbio:

:cheers:
Wonko

#5 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

That is some brilliant advice... :)

I am unable to move forward, the Winbuilder can't see my XP files folder, even though I have it loaded into a CD drive, or ISO, or files. :S...

Realised what the problem was, it was checked in the rules tab that it should search for i386/setupreg.hiv and this file does not exist. therefore I unchecked this and it has started to build.

#6 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hi Wonko,

I get an error message during build and it says the path specified as my windows files source is not valid. Please select a valid source dir in the paths window to run this script.. It stopped at copy and expand files.

What would be my options as this is a sp2 xp CD.

Thanks

Dips

#7 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

If possible I would like to have a skype chat setup which might help me. if you are happy to do that? Skype Name: patel.deepan

#8 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I am unable to move forward, the Winbuilder can't see my XP files folder, even though I have it loaded into a CD drive, or ISO, or files. :S...

Realised what the problem was, it was checked in the rules tab that it should search for i386/setupreg.hiv and this file does not exist. therefore I unchecked this and it has started to build.

What is meant by 'Winbuilder can't see' XP source folder? You browse to it from Source tab; what happens when you select it? Always best to copy entire CD/ISO contents to hard drive folder at root of drive e.g. E:XPSP2x86.

Is this source 32 or 64 bit? If x86, there must be i386/setupreg.hiv or it's not a valid source; if 64 bit, look to AMD64 folder for file. Is this install disc/image retail or OEM (came with computer)? OEM is known to have issues, try to track down unmodified, M$ source image.

If possible I would like to have a skype chat setup which might help me...

Better to keep the discussion in the open to help others as well ;)

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Realised what the problem was, it was checked in the rules tab that it should search for i386/setupreg.hiv and this file does not exist.

Every XP install CD (independent from SP) has the file i386setupreg.hiv

If your CD does not have it, it is no original M$ install CD. Maybe it is "Lited" or similar.

Peter

#10 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi Peter,

I have found an original XP disc and I successfully completed a build, however the tutorial says to copy hddboot folder created by Winbuilder and copy onto NTFS USB drive which is partition active. This loads the ramdisk image however shows up with an error. Am I missing something here?

Deepan

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Sorry, I was able to help with a "general XP source CD" issue. But I'm not familar with the tutorial. Here Amalux surely can give you more hints.
BTW: He gave (crossing posts) a logically identical answer.

Peter

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

I have found an original XP disc and I successfully completed a build...

Good :)

... however the tutorial says to copy hddboot folder created by Winbuilder and copy onto NTFS USB drive which is partition active. This loads the ramdisk image however shows up with an error. Am I missing something here?

Yes. What is the error and be precise what you're trying to do.

You have a working ISO, you want to boot that from USB thumb drive (UFD) or use the hddboot files to setup USB hard drive?

#13 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

What is meant by 'Winbuilder can't see' XP source folder? You browse to it from Source tab; what happens when you select it? Always best to copy entire CD/ISO contents to hard drive folder at root of drive e.g. E:XPSP2x86.

Is this source 32 or 64 bit? If x86, there must be i386/setupreg.hiv or it's not a valid source; if 64 bit, look to AMD64 folder for file. Is this install disc/image retail or OEM (came with computer)? OEM is known to have issues, try to track down unmodified, M$ source image.

Better to keep the discussion in the open to help others as well ;)

Thanks Amalux,

The CD is x86. This time it was able to sucessfully complete the build. The error message was that it couldn't load a .sys file and error code 14.

Yes. What is the error and be precise what you're trying to do.

I am trying to boot the build from a USB thumb drive (UFD).

I am trying the MAKE_USB.exe tool and following those steps. Will let you know how I get on.

Deepan

#14 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Amalux,

I have followed the tutorial and tried to use the MAKE_USB.exe tool. It is successful, however when trying to load onto a machine, it just shows the cursor and does nothing else. What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks

Deepan

#15 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

The CD is x86. This time it was able to sucessfully complete the build. The error message was that it couldn't load a .sys file and error code 14.

Probably running out of memory somewhere, have you added large scripts to the build? Is this real hardware or virtual, how much memory is available?

I am trying to boot the build from a USB thumb drive (UFD).

I am trying the MAKE_USB.exe tool and following those steps.

Once you've tested the ISO, working from virtual or CD boot; run MAKE_USB with your UFD plugged in to PC. Select your ISO as Boot Image File and browse to UFD under Target USB Drive section (see screen shot in tutorial). You can uncheck other settings and additional sources; you don't need HP Format tool or PeToUSB options. Leave other settings as they default, select NTFS under Target USB Drive and click on Format Stick - NOTE! ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED FROM YOUR USB DRIVE!

#16 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

I have followed the tutorial and tried to use the MAKE_USB.exe tool. It is successful, however when trying to load onto a machine, it just shows the cursor and does nothing else. What could I be doing wrong?

Please confirm this ISO boots normally from CD or virtual machine.

#17 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hi,

Amalux,

Tried to load the iso file in virtual box and I have error INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing.

#18 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Also to add... It says Status 2 at the end of the error line.

Apologises for missing that one out... :dubbio:

#19 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Tried to load the iso file in virtual box and I have error INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing.

OK, let's focus on getting a working ISO before attempting USB booting. Please zip your log.html and upload to some free hosting site (MediaFire etc.) and post a link here.

#20 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

okay...

here is the log.

http://www.mediafire...s4zts3ib7l3je1w

#21 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hi Amalux,

I have been continuing to do it, and you are the only person who is keeping me in not giving up.. I have now a different error code which is code 18, saying couldn't load setupdd.sys...

This was after creating a new build...

#22 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

No errors in log but some things to consider; this is a big build, ~170MB+ image requires, at least, 500MB avail. RAM (real or virtual). Check to see how much memory is allotted in VirtualBox, bet it's less than that. this alone will cause errors like you have seen.

Consider starting off with the LX project for testing; basically the same project but much smaller and faster to build for testing. If it works, all you need to do is select more scripts until you have everything you need. If you don't need all programs loading on every boot (slower and requires more memory), consider using portables instead of selecting scripts. Programs work the same in PE but only load up when needed.

Keep your build directory at root of drive, e.g. "C:LXC.102011" instead of "C:UsersDeepan PatelDesktopBootLXC.102011"; running in user profile folders has its own problems, especially in Windows 7. Don't run projects from Desktop or other special folder locations.

Copy the entire contents of CD/ISO to root folder so that your source directory looks like "D:XPSP2x86I386" instead of "D:I386".

See if that helps and let us know ;)

#23 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Amalux,

Great news!!

I have sucessfully built the lite version and it boots perfect in virtual box.

No errors in log but some things to consider; this is a big build, ~170MB+ image requires, at least, 500MB avail. RAM (real or virtual). Check to see how much memory is allotted in VirtualBox, bet it's less than that. this alone will cause errors like you have seen.

I noticed that virtual box has a low RAM mem, therefore I did make it bigger, not sure why I was getting an error message.

Keep your build directory at root of drive, e.g. "C:LXC.102011" instead of "C:UsersDeepan PatelDesktopBootLXC.102011"; running in user profile folders has its own problems, especially in Windows 7. Don't run projects from Desktop or other special folder locations.

I ran everything from the C Drive and didn't point to any folder apart from what Winbuilder had set i.e. "basedir" for the ISO file.

See if that helps and let us know

You have been a very helpful and patient person towards me and I am greatful. :1st:

One question however, do I need to limit what I load into the ISO, even though say I set the RAM size to 1GB?

Also is there a way for me to load multibootable ISO's so that I can select which ISO I can load in a usb?

Thank you so much, this has been giving me since Sunday! :good:

Deepan

#24 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Happy to help :) Glad it's working well for you!

I noticed that virtual box has a low RAM mem, therefore I did make it bigger, not sure why I was getting an error message.

When you run out of space, files can't be copied and errors result.

One question however, do I need to limit what I load into the ISO, even though say I set the RAM size to 1GB?

No, as long as you have enough memory available, it should work; just slower to load up.

Also is there a way for me to load multibootable ISO's so that I can select which ISO I can load in a usb?

Absolutely, the easiest is with grub4dos boot menu. This setup is explained in the tutorial, just ask if you have questions ;)

#25 Deepan Patel

Deepan Patel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

No, as long as you have enough memory available, it should work; just slower to load up.

I have also complete build of LiveXP and that now also works. It looks like it might have something to do with me pointing to a different folder than the basedir.

for grub4dos,

itle LiveXP RAM
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /LiveXP_WIM.iso
map /LiveXP_WIM.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title W7PEX RAM
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /Win7PE_x86.ISO
uuid ()
map /Win7PE_x86.ISO (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

How would I create the menu.lst... I am planning to put a compelte LiveXP and a Win7PE which are ISOs and they are confirmed via virtualbox and working. The location by this as an example I could use possible would need to be put into a folder called map?

Thanks

Deepan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sdi image, create, livexp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users