Photo
- - - - -

Use 'AIO-Boot' as a secondary menu = Load 'AIO Boot' from other boot loader (e.g. 'Windows boot manager' or 'Sergei grub2 menu')

use aio-boot as a secondary

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 184 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:58 PM

Hello  Friends ☺ 

I tried to ask in the author's (AIO-Boot) forum But there is no answer

Is it possible to use AIO-Boot menu As a secondary menu?

i.e
I really like it Mainly due to the file manager and boot directly from  .wim/.vhd/.iso  files Without menu editing 
It's nice and useful

But with all due respect
I can not say goodbye to My private old and perfect multiboot menu 
I have several reasons to prefer My menu as main bootloader 
And I want to load AIO-Boot as a secondary menu 
How is this possible?

#2 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 16 September 2021 - 10:59 PM

Only valid on MBR/CSM:

If main loader is Win bootmanager, extract AIO creator to the root of a partition (FAT-32 or NTFS), but DO NOT select to make any changes to the MBR, and run it from there to add your files, using BootIce create an entry pointing to the location of \AIO\grub\grub2win, this will let you start the Grub2 config file of AIO.  Please see attached pictures.

Or if using grub4dos (for MBR) copy grldr.mbr and grld, and create your menu.lst next to win bootmanager, and add following commands in your menu.lst:

title AIO Grub4dos Menu - /AIO/Menu/Grub4dos.lst
find --set-root /AIO/Menu/Grub4dos.lst
configfile /AIO/Menu/Grub4dos.lst

title AIO Grub2 Menu - /AIO/grub/i386-pc/core.img
find --set-root /AIO/grub/i386-pc/core.img
kernel /AIO/grub/i386-pc/core.img

Download link: grub4dos-0.4.6a-2021-08-13.7z 520K

Or if main loader is grub2 you can use following commands:

if [ -e "/AIO/grub/grub.cfg" ]; then
menuentry "AIO Menu - /AIO/grub/grub.cfg" {
  set prefix=($root)/AIO/grub
  configfile /AIO/grub/grub.cfg
}
fi

alacran

Attached Thumbnails

• AIO.png
  • grub4dos.png

#3 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:18 PM

But I recommend to better use Grub2 File Manager of a1ive, no need to extract the files from the ISO you want to boot, and it's also good for booting WinPE WIM and VHD files:

Download grubfm.iso in your prefered language, locate it next to menu.lst or on the root of any partition of same HD, and add to your grub4dos for MBR menu.lst following commands:

title Grub2 File Manager of a1ive - /grubfm.iso
find --set-root /grubfm.iso
map --mem /grubfm.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

NOTE: on Grub2 File Manager page you can find other commands for chainloading it from other loaders.  

alacran

#4 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 184 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:37 AM

thanks!!  :P

(aioboot File Manager also no need to extract the files) 

1. 'Grub2 File Manager of a1ive' can be use in uefi ?  

#5 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:52 AM

In my Manual VHD_WIMBOOT PDF there is info on How to use AIO in Multi-Boot menu:

How to Boot from USB with AIO Boot - AIO Boot - AIO Info

- Download AIOBoot-v0.9.9.18.7z - Unpack and Copy content of folder AIOBoot-v0.9.9.18 to USB FAT32 and overwrite existing UEFI Boot files

- On USB run AIOCreator.exe - Select Integration Linux OS and your Linux ISO - Linux Mint - Knoppix Live - Ubuntu - Kali Linux 64-bit Live

- UEFI_MULTI Super Grub2 keeps AIO UEFI files and Add a1ive Grub2 File Manager to AIO\grubfm and Add Boot entry \AIO\grub\grub2win

UEFI_MULTI has also integrated a1ive Grub2 and a1ive Grub2 File Manager

UEFI_MULTI auto creates the AIO integration menuentry for UEFI and MBR Grub2 in \grub\grub.cfg and creates the MBR Grub4dos entry in menu.lst according to

UEFI booting with Grub2 using \grub\grub.cfg 

if [ -e "/efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi" ]; then
menuentry "Grub2 x64 EFI File Manager of a1ive - /efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi" {
  chainloader /efi/boot/grubfmx64.efi
}
fi

if [ -e "/AIO/grub/grub.cfg" ]; then
menuentry "AIO Menu - /AIO/grub/grub.cfg" {
  set prefix=($root)/AIO/grub
  configfile /AIO/grub/grub.cfg
}
fi

-

MBR booting Grub4dos menu.lst Or chainload Grub2 with \grub\grub.cfg as given above

iftitle [if exist (hd0,0)/grubfm.iso] Grub2 File Manager of a1ive - (hd0,0)/grubfm.iso
map --mem (hd0,0)/grubfm.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

iftitle [if exist (hd0,0)/grubfm_multiarch.iso] Grub2 File Manager of a1ive - (hd0,0)/grubfm_multiarch.iso
map --mem (hd0,0)/grubfm_multiarch.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

iftitle [if exist (hd0,0)/grub/core.img] Grub2 Menu of a1ive - (hd0,0)/grub/core.img
kernel /grub/core.img

iftitle [if exist %iso_drive%/AIO/Menu/Grub4dos.lst] AIO Grub4dos Menu - %iso_drive%/AIO/Menu/Grub4dos.lst
configfile %iso_drive%/AIO/Menu/Grub4dos.lst

#6 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 184 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:09 AM

Amazing
File Manager of a1ive
I've never seen it 
Thanks 
it's better
  Now I have no need for aioboot

Thanks

#7 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 184 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:12 AM

@WIMB 

THANK YOU 

I WILL USE IT 

#8 someoneinthedark

someoneinthedark

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:07 AM

Only valid on MBR/CSM:

If main loader is Win bootmanager, extract AIO creator to the root of a partition (FAT-32 or NTFS), but DO NOT select to make any changes to the MBR, and run it from there to add your files, using BootIce create an entry pointing to the location of \AIO\grub\grub2win, this will let you start the Grub2 config file of AIO. 

i'm trying to boot ventoy on a vhd from the win bootmgr, but the boot partition doesn't have a grub2win file in it, i tried going through the grub2win project if i could find any default grub2win file.. i guess i'll have to compile from the source.. the problem with aio boot is the hardcoded path "\AIO", is there any other known source?

Edited by someoneinthedark, 25 October 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#9 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:55 AM

i'm trying to boot ventoy on a vhd from the win bootmgr, but the boot partition doesn't have a grub2win file in it, i tried going through the grub2win project if i could find any default grub2win file.. i guess i'll have to compile from the source.. the problem with aio boot is the hardcoded path "\AIO", is there any other known source?

It is not clear to me if you are trying to boot Ventoy or AIO. Or if you are trying to use the precompiled version of grub2win from AIO to boot Ventoy.

Ventoy:

The author DOES NOT allow to boot it from Win bootmgr or grub4dos since some time ago, the program is internally coded to refuse booting this way.  The author only allows it to boot from an EFI partition on a USB device (the USB device is created by his own tool). Only option remaining is compile Ventoy yourself from the source code. 

Also the precompiled version of grub2win from AIO DOES NOT work to boot Ventoy.

AIO:

AIO has its own precompiled version of grub2win ready to be used. The location of grub2win is this: \AIO\grub\grub2win, you can follow the instructions on post No. 2, use pictures attached in that post as a guide to create the entry in your BCD using BootIce.

alacran

#10 someoneinthedark

someoneinthedark

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:09 PM

It is not clear to me if you are trying to boot Ventoy or AIO. Or if you are trying to use the precompiled version of grub2win from AIO to boot Ventoy.

Yes i did use the precompiled version, as expected it didn't work because of a different hard-coded path it used. And i was thinking of compiling my own grub2win file.

Ventoy:

The author DOES NOT allow to boot it from Win bootmgr or grub4dos since some time ago, the program is internally coded to refuse booting this way.  The author only allows it to boot from an EFI partition on a USB device (the USB device is created by his own tool). Only option remaining is compile Ventoy yourself from the source code. 

Also the precompiled version of grub2win from AIO DOES NOT work to boot Ventoy.

I see, didn't know about that, thanks. Will go through it's source at a later point.

And the VHD i created works when tested in a VM (qemu), but fails to boot on a real machine and enters into rescue mode. What i followed was created an entry for VHD with EasyBCD and changed the application path to \AIO\grub\grub2win using BootICE

#11 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:14 AM

Maybe you would like to read my topic Testing UEFI booting on a only Bios PC

You will find there several experiments related to boot AIO in different ways.

To be able to achive the goal of let AIO load its precompiled (MBR) version of Clover.

alacran

#12 someoneinthedark

someoneinthedark

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:50 PM

I didn't mention actually what the error was, it was about normal.mod & some aioboot.html being missing; they're present but due to some reason they aren't being detected, so the reason is trying to boot UEFI on a BIOS only PC? I believe my PC supports UEFI but i've my drive partitioned as MBR layout. And any idea of what parts of ventoy code i can patch to unblock the restrictions? Sorry i'm quite new. I tried using 1.0.27 which according to E2B is the last unblocked version but unfortunately it doesn't work on drives other than USBs unlike the latest versions..

#13 someoneinthedark

someoneinthedark

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:54 PM

EDIT: I might actually dump the idea of booting from a VHD

#14 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 26 October 2021 - 06:09 PM

I also prefer to install on MBR mode in all my PCs, almost all are CSM/MBR and UEFI capables, with only a single exception of an old PC that is only MBR capable, I made those experiments in that topic only for testing and learning, In fact I hate UEFI restrictions.

I have no idea of what parts of Ventoy code you can patch to unblock the restriction.

I suggest you to forget about Ventoy and use better a1ive's Grub2 File Manager, it works very fine.

grub4dos (MBR) menu.lst entry:

title Grub2 File Manager of a1ive
map --mem /grubfm.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

alacran

#15 someoneinthedark

someoneinthedark

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:50 PM

I found that RMPrepUSB has a tutorial on patching ventoy here:

https://rmprepusb.co...compile-ventoy/

Ventoy:

Ok, so a week ago, i mounted the Ventoy's EFI boot partition to make some changes to grub.cfg - one of which was trying to remove the website that is displayed at the bottom, stored inside the VTOY_TEXT_MENU_VER variable. Even after modifying - it didn't go away, for a while i was thinking because of the same reason you'd mentioned, the author might have internally coded to prevent that.

But on going through the above article it is mentioned that this would only work for the text menu & not for a gfxmenu/theme menu. Why is it that so? Any idea of why is it in this way? 

Also as a tip for gfxmenu it was suggested to make this text invisible by changing it's color to match that of the background image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users