• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

Since Holger is taking BIG steps toward perfect networking.
I thought it is time for a 'real' browser! :P
This script adds a special version of Opera to your build. It's modified to be able to run straight of a CD. So it will be as easy on you ram resources as possible.

http://www.boot-land...w...iew&iden=62

For those with lots of time and a fetish for the small. :P
I'm pretty sure there are still a few files in the script that are not really needed. If you wann have a go on it, you have my blessing, as long as you upload the new version! :P

Since i'm almost already on vacation, i won't be around in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
So be all nice and try not to break the internet! :P

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi MedEvil,

just tried out the script and it works really well - it's not so big-sized when compared to firefox and I like it quite a lot - thanks for your time to create a script for it.

Been looking at opera's distribution license, they do allow to distribute it freely - just need to sign-up to conform with their distribution agreement, guess it's worth including on the main package..

Nice addon! :P

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hi MedEvil,

just tried out the script and it works really well - it's not so big-sized when compared to firefox and I like it quite a lot - thanks for your time to create a script for it.

Been looking at opera's distribution license, they do allow to distribute it freely - just need to sign-up to conform with their distribution agreement, guess it's worth including on the main package..

Nice addon! :P

Do you mean just including it, or also displaying it?

PS: As soon as the interface variables thing with the - is solved, i have a new version with lots of new settings. Any news with that?

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

I have the next release almost ready, afterwards seem a good time to start working on it also.. :P

#5 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

Yeah! I was trying to get a browser run from CD only but I was not successful. To many of the others are bloated with added stuff. Good thing you took of the email and other none usefull stuff. I dont know why they dont just build a seperate build that only includes the browser.

Can you call it Opera from CD. instead of CD Opera.

Thanks for the script.

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

I like that Startpage option in the gui. :P
Have a good vacation.

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

I like that Startpage option in the gui. :P
Have a good vacation.

Thanks, but my vacation is already over. My best girl managed to break her leg. :P

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:49 PM

I dont know why they dont just build a seperate build that only includes the browser.

Because most of the other stuff is just done with html, css and alike. Only the protocols are really included in the browser and that does not take that much extra space.
And to be honest, put 'my' Opera on a writeable medium and all the bells and whistles will probably start working again. :P

#9 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:27 AM

Thanks, but my vacation is already over. My best girl managed to break her leg. :P

Well that was a fast vacation. Hope her leg gets better.

I had a request to name change the script to just Opera. It keeps not looking right having CD in front of the name. Opera is easier to find. Its a bit irritating having to remember CD name when looking for Opera.

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

Well that was a fast vacation. Hope her leg gets better.

I had a request to name change the script to just Opera. It keeps not looking right having CD in front of the name. Opera is easier to find. Its a bit irritating having to remember CD name when looking for Opera.

I already explained it to Nuno, who did some renaming in the CDOpera.script. That there is a reason for the CD in front of the name.
This is a special version, which runs completely from CD, without the need for any writable space or at least will in the next version, when a little flaw is fixed.
There will also be a Opera.script with more things working, but which will rely havily on the existence of writable space.

:P

#11 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

I already explained it to Nuno, who did some renaming in the CDOpera.script. That there is a reason for the CD in front of the name.
This is a special version, which runs completely from CD, without the need for any writable space or at least will in the next version, when a little flaw is fixed.
There will also be a Opera.script with more things working, but which will rely havily on the existence of writable space.

Its fine if you have CD in the name. It would look better if its added at the end of the name such as Opera CD.

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

Its find if you have CD in the name. It would look better if its added at the end of the name such as Opera CD.

But it's a CD version of Opera and not an Opera CD! :P

After all this is english and in english the adjective still comes before the subjective, not after it, as in spanish.
So please don't screw the english language any more up, than absolutely neccessary! :P

#13 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

But it's a CD version of Opera and not an Opera CD! :P

After all this is english and in english the adjective still comes before the subjective, not after it, as in spanish.
So please don't screw the english language any more up, than absolutely neccessary! :P

ok! you make sence.

How about
Opera from CD
Opera running from CD

or just Plain Opera.
Opera

The Scipt details already tell the user that the Opera Browser is being runned from the CD. I just dont like the CD part at the beginning of the name. It takes something away.

And when this one comes out. The same name Opera can be used but the Script details will tell the user what is the difference and the user can decide which Opera to use.

The one that runs from CD or the one that Runs from Writable Space. But the Opera single name is still maintained. The only thing that has the details is the Description in the Scipt and the Details when your release your Scripts. People are not that slow that they would not be able to pick which is which to have to put CD in front of the Named Shorcut.

#14 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

MedEvil,
I have add the language choice to the script
In OffByOne and Opera can you set in "Folder in menu" to Web Browser
Then you have just one folder with the two app

here is my change for opera (don't include file in script)
Attached File  CD_Opera_change.script   6.18KB   412 downloads

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:01 PM

I have add the language choice to the script

Nice idea didn't thought of that. Will see if i can cramp it into the interface too. :P
Cause i have a new CD-Opera script since almost 2 week sitting here, which has lots of settings to costumize the GUI. I'm only waiting for Nuno to have time to check a few bugs in the interface.

In OffByOne and Opera can you set in "Folder in menu" to Web Browser
Then you have just one folder with the two app

:P You can set the folder to whatever you like, that's why i created the setting in the interface.

#16 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

After the release of the next CD-Opera.script i thought about doing a Opera script which has more bells and whistles, but will also make havy use of the Ramdrive.

Anyone interested?

PS: The number of settings will then pretty much explode, even when we stick just to the essentials.
And since i'm crap with GUIs, i will need then a good GUI-smith! :P
Anyone interested in the job?

#17 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

Nice idea didn't thought of that. Will see if i can cramp it into the interface too. :P
Cause i have a new CD-Opera script since almost 2 week sitting here, which has lots of settings to costumize the GUI. I'm only waiting for Nuno to have time to check a few bugs in the interface.
:P You can set the folder to whatever you like, that's why i created the setting in the interface.

Yes, but it's better that you set the folder for the two browser before post them ,because people don't know that's possible
I've make an error in the previous script
Attached File  CD_Opera_change.script   6.2KB   465 downloads

#18 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:39 PM

Yes, but it's better that you set the folder for the two browser before post them ,because people don't know that's possible
I've make an error in the previous script
Attached File  CD_Opera_change.script   6.2KB   465 downloads

Then, acording to your logic, people wouldn't know that they can have two different folders! :P
Besides, why would anyone want OffByOne on his system, when he has CD-Opera on it?

But i will set the default folder for the next releases to Web Browser. After all people can change it! :P

#19 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:15 AM

Then, acording to your logic, people wouldn't know that they can have two different folders! :P
Besides, why would anyone want OffByOne on his system, when he has CD-Opera on it?

But i will set the default folder for the next releases to Web Browser. After all people can change it! :P

Oh ,Yes you are right
Wait a little i'm changing the MakeScript

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:41 PM

Sorry, the promised 'patchwork' release is scraped!

It was a lot of work, but a little to much patch it seems. :P
With other words, the damn thing, pretty much fell apart. :P
I will write a new script from scratch, which will not run from any place anymore and hopefully make the implementing of settings easier.

#21 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:01 AM

Sorry, the promised 'patchwork' release is scraped!

It was a lot of work, but a little to much patch it seems. :P
With other words, the damn thing, pretty much fell apart. :P
I will write a new script from scratch, which will not run from any place anymore and hopefully make the implementing of settings easier.

THanks for the info. I hope you decide to not put a word before the Opera name on the new one.

#22 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

:P Hive, since noone seems to want a full featured Opera version anyhow, i can name the new version just Opera.

#23 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4203 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:26 AM

full featured Opera version

What do you mean by that? How big would it be?

i can name the new version just Opera

Thanks!

#24 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:04 PM

A new version is available.
Since i created the script new from scratch, i used this oportunity to upgrade Opera to version 8.54 as well.

What is new? Lots of settings! :P
- Multi Language support from pedrole (very nice work!)
- enable/disable disk cache
- enable/disable statusbar
- enable/disable Autohide Tabbar (If enabled ,the tabbar is hidden, when only one page is open.)
- enable/disable Close Button on Tabs
- enable/disable Simple Progressbar
(If enabled, you only get a very simplistic progressbar inside the address field.
If disabled you get the fullfeatured version, that pops up at the bottom of the page.)

- Select Toolbar Style (Here you can choose between 3 different button layouts. Please note layouts! )
- select Tabs Placement
- select Skin (here you can choose between the 2 build in Skins. Windows only omits the background images.)
- Weblink "Choose other skin" (Will beam you directly to Operas skins page.)
- Filebox (here can you select the previously dl skin - the filebox has priority over Skin select. If you wanna use one of the default skins again, you have to empty the filebox!)

- Lots of file and protocol associations! :P (Problem: all the protocols and the .url association are overwritten upon start with default windows values. :P No idea yet which script would have to be fixed to stop that.)

CD-Opera 8.54

#25 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

CD-Opera 8.54

:cheers:

Very nice for my Vista PE builds ... one error: the tabs-left and tabs-top settings are reversed. Should be:

If,%TabPlacement_ScrollBox%,EQUAL,"Tabs Top",IniWrite,"%TargetDir%\%OutDir%\profile\Opera6.ini","User Prefs","Pagebar Alignment","2"

If,%TabPlacement_ScrollBox%,EQUAL,"Tabs Left",IniWrite,"%TargetDir%\%OutDir%\profile\Opera6.ini","User Prefs","Pagebar Alignment","1"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users