Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hiya All.
I wonder if this Community can help me? ;) :ph34r:

I have been trying for ages (weeks) to try and flash my BIOS with an upgrade for my Toshiba Laptop. It is a Toshiba Equium A60.

I can get it to load Windows 98 (except that it tells me that the USB devices wont work because of conflicts in the BIOS)
My friend has exactly the same Laptop, and the BIOS Version is V1.9 and mine is V1.65 To me, this very simply means that mine is out of date! :ph34r: :blowup:

I have downloaded the newest BIOS Version from Toshiba’s website, and they say to execute the .exe file by using 1.4 Floppy Drive. This I do not have ! :D
You can also execute this file in Windows, except that in Windows 98 it tells me I have an error! “Failure_DLL DetecChipset” :( :blowup: :whistling:
I have Googled this, and the only website that has the same error code is in German! And although Google will let you translate it, it don’t tell me anything!

As a last resort, I thought I could burn a CD, make that into a bootable disk, and add the Toshiba file to it.
Tried this with BartsPE but this is based on Windows XP and I cannot load XP, it gets as far as the XP Logo, then freezes. This is why I suspect the BIOS requires an update.

So, after more Googling, I have finished up at this website, hoping to make a Boot Disk, with the Toshiba Flash Files attached, but it has to be done in “Windows 98” and not XP

So………… that is my problem, anyone have any ideas please?

By the way, I used one of the "Freebie" Logons, and it worked a treat, thanks.

And, If you want to mail me with any ideas "geoff_and_olya@yahoo.co.uk"
Thanks

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

So, after more Googling, I have finished up at this website, hoping to make a Boot Disk, with the Toshiba Flash Files attached, but it has to be done in “Windows 98” and not XP

So………… that is my problem, anyone have any ideas please?

Sure, we have LOTS of ideas. :whistling:

If you check this one:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=127593

you should have an idea of the procedure.

Since you are running 9x, VFD won't work for you, but you can use Winimage:
http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm
Or EXTRACT (yes, I know it is a confusing name, but EXTRACT can also INJECT a file in a floppy image):
http://www.winimage.com/extract.htm

to add to the floppy image the bios flashing utility and the actual bios file.
Here are some alternate ways/tools to "manage" a floppy image under Win9x:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...40391&st=79

Then you should have a CD burning app running under Win9x, you want to makea bootable CD using floppy emulation.

:blowup:
Wonko

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Topic moved to Windows 9x support.

#4 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

Hi
Thanks for your help

I have tried a bootable disk.

I will post the problems when I get all the facts

#5 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi

OK…..

First, thanks for the help, and it was EXTREMELY interesting reading

I have tried to make a Bootable CD-ROM Disk.

I have made a bootable ISO Image, and opened up Nero, copied the Win98 Bootable ISO Image + the Toshiba BIOS .exe file.

Loaded up the Disk, and it opens in “Caldera DR-Dos”

I cannot get to, or open, the .exe file from Toshiba !

Basically……… the DR-DOS windows finishes loading as
[DR-DOS] A:\

I have typed in to this Osaka20V190 (which is the .exe file from Toshiba)
I keep getting: -
“Command or file name not recognized”

So, I tried this: [DR-DOS] A:\ CD A:\ OSAKA20V190

Not recognised again!

So, in my other PC I Have expanded the Osaka20V190.exe BIOS Flash file, and it gives me 8 other files:-
fdbase.img
insydeflash.exe
iscflash.dll
iscflash.sys
iscflash.vxd
Platform.ini
UNICOWS.DLL
V190.ROM

I have tried to make CD-ROM Disk with these as a Bootable Disk, but I still get the darned Caldera DOS window, and I cannot open any of the exe files.

I know it must be me, and I know the BIOS Flash file works, because I have put this Osaka20v190.exe file onto another A60 Laptop, and ran it, it tells me that the BIOS is upto date!

Why cant I get this bloody BIOS Update onto my Laptop !

Thanks

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

I think you are running before learning to walk. :blowup:

Not at all your fault :ph34r:, these things are made by engineers that think that everyone knows everything and understand by default anything they omit. :blowup:

Which "base" floppy disk image are you using?

Are we talking of this file: bios-20070808110029.zip that contains file Osaka20V190.exe, that contains (beside other files) the file fdbase.img?

The file fdbase.img is already a floppy bootable image.
Inside it there is a "readme.txt" that includes "standard" instructions:

3. From the bootable BIOS update diskette.
1) Boot your Windows operating system.
2) Execute the flash utility with "/fd" prarmeter.
3) The InsydeFlash FD service Dialog will the appear on the screen.It is
strongly recommended that you exit all Windows program before running
the flash utility.
4) Inseret a formatted 1.44 floppy diskette into the floppy disk drive.
5) Click on the comobox to select a driver which you insert a floppy diskette.
6) Click on Write button to write image to the floppy diskette.
7) When it finished reboot the system, and make sure it will boot from the
floppy drive.
8) The flash utility will automatic execute and when update system BIOS finished
the system will automatic shutdown.

Translated:

2) Execute the flash utility with "/fd" prarmeter.

means (please note the spelling of the word "prarmeter" :():
open a DOS command prompt in the same directory where you unzipped the contents of file bios-20070808110029.zip and in it type:
Osaka20V190.exe /fd

[ENTER]

You will be prompted to insert a floppy drive to which the floppy image contained in Osaka20V190.exe, called fdbase.img will be copied, adding to it "on-the-fly" the actual BIOS file, contained in Osaka20V190.exe, called V190.ROM that will be renamed as BIOS.ROM.

I.E. what the demented engineers at Toshiba do is to:
  • "automagically" copy to the floppy drive the image fdbase.img
  • "automagically" copy to it V190.ROM
  • "automagically" rename V190.ROM to BIOS.ROM

In order to easen the life of a number of their customers, they made it impossible to use it to their normal customers without a floppy (please notice also how most if not all the models in the A60 "Equium" come without a floppy drive). :D

Now what you can do in WIN 9x?

• Open Osaka20V190.exe with 7-zip, and extract from it the files fdbase.img and V190.ROM putting them in a directory like C:\mybios\
  • rename V190.ROM to BIOS.ROM
  • copy to the directory C:\mybios\ Extract.exe (from http://www.winimage.com/extract.htm )
  • open a command prompt in C:\mybios\
  • run in it:
  • Extract -i fdbase.img BIOS.ROM

[ENTER]
  • Use the modified fdbase.img as a bootable floppy emulation Cd with your burning program

You need to just boot from the floppy (or CD made with it) as it contains an Autoexec.bat that reads:
cls

DosFlash.exe BIOS.ROM /B

Now, there is no way you could have guessed this kind of info :whistling:, but maybe if they had documented what they "automagically" do, you would have had a chance, ;)

:ph34r:
Wonko

#7 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:24 AM

BRILLIANT
Thanks
Can you help a little more please?
I have, at last, managed to get the thing to boot up……. The screen is multi coloured with Green at the top, black in the middle, and Grey at the bottom. The screen has the following info on it:-

Insyde DOS Flash Update Utility V6.06.04F (06/20/03)
Copyright 1990-2002 Insyde Software Corporation. All rights reserved etc etc etc

Unfortunately I cannot take a screenshot to show you the rest of the wording on the screen, but all I need to know now is, how the heck do I get it to flash the BIOS.???

It has the following options:-
/?,H This help
/A DMI ROM update enable
/E Force to update ROM
/5 Save current BIOS to fliename as 512KB

Press<2> for North Bridge Chipsets support list
Press<3> for South Bridge Chipsets support list
Press <4> for Flash devise support list

I have pressed 2, 3, and 4 and it just gives me loads more screens of info.

Surely, it should now let me press a key to enable the BIOS Flash?

Any ideas?

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

Well, it is possible that the stoopid "floppy making" automagically approach does something else to the V190.ROM when it renames it to BIOS.ROM but I doubt it. :ph34r:

From what it can be understood from the readme.txt running the floppy will automagically update the BIOS (with the UNDOCUMENTED /B option present in autoexec.bat).

Please also note that what you should have done:

2. rename V190.ROM to BIOS.ROM

Extract -i fdbase.img BIOS.ROM

&#91;ENTER&#93;
might be different from what you (I'll bet on it the beer you owe me, double or nothing :D) actually did, which is:

2. rename V190.ROM to bios.rom

Extract -i fdbase.img bios.rom

&#91;ENTER&#93;

However you should have the possibility to drop back to dos (possibly the ESCape key :ph34r:)

From the DOS prompt, try running just:
DOSFLASH.EXE

and see what happens.

Then try
DOSFLASH /S <- I presume that the option to save current BIOS is /S and NOT /5 :(
and see if it allows to save the current BIOS to your C:\ drive (which should be the only thing "writable" you have handy.

Then if you are double sure it is the right BIOS for your model, try :dubbio::
DOSFLASH.EXE BIOS.ROM /E

Obviously doing the above with fingers crossed holding a rabbit foot is adviced (not that I believe in these kind of things, but you never know :whistling:).

Unfortunately I cannot check the behaviour of the utility, as it will only run if it finds the appropriate hardware.

On the other hand, inside the Osaka20V190.exe there is a .vxd, which should mean that Win9x is supported.

What happens if you copy all the files:

fdbase.img
InsydeFlash.exe
iscflash.dll
iscflash.sys
iscflash.vxd
Platform.ini
UNICOWS.DLL
V190.ROM

inside it in a local directory (say C:\MyBIOS\) and run in Windows 9x InsydeFlash.exe?
Does it give you the same error?

Another attempt.
Extract from the image DOSFLASH.EXE and put it in your C:\Mybios directory.
Boot from the hard disk PRESSING F8 AND SKIPPING autoexec.bat and config.sys, i.e. in as clean as possible DOS, then navigate to C:\Mybios and try running as before the DOSFLASH.EXE utility, first alone, then with the save option and the as
DOSFLASH.EXE V190.ROM

Wonko

#9 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Hi Wonko

First of all ...........

If I could get you a beer, believe me, you and I would have a couple !

I do like Italian beer, and my friend here in England often gets a few which we share!
Maybe, if I can come with him on a trip to his Home Town Perugia we will have one or two?

Any way...................

Your idea of copying the files to Windows 98 C:\BIOS and running the .exe file from there.........
This gives me same error as if I were just to execute the unzipped BIOS file fromToshiba:-

Posted Image

I am now going to try your other solutions

Thanks
Geoff

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

With so many errors please be extra careful with the /E switch!!!
As this can quite possibly send your Laptop into the nirwana.
Sometimes there exist computers with the exact same name, just different hardware revisions, which have incompatible BIOS. Forcing the flashing of the wrong one and you have a nice paperweight. :whistling:

:dubbio:

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Yep :dubbio:, hard to admit it :blowup:, but Medevil is right, (exception to confirm the Rule :ph34r:).

Post all the info you have on the laptop, numbers, whatever, that are (hopefully) on the label or tag underside it.

It's better if we double and triple check, first.

:whistling:
Wonko

#12 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hi Guys

Your right of course, and so is Med Evil

Beleive me, I pressed that key with holding my breath :whistling: :dubbio:

However, it gave me a "Wrong BIOS" Error message ! :blowup:

OK.......... So here is what we have so far, and, by the way, you two guys are more helpful than the Toshiba boys in their forum.

The specs of the Laptop are:-
Toshiba EA60 - 155 EN

Model No. PSA67E

So......... have no fears, the BIOS File that I have downloaded is the correct one.
The Boys in Toshiba pointed me to that one, and it was easy enough to find anyway. You just put your model number into their search engine, and all the drivers come up

The big problem for me, is that the OS should be Windows XP
And, as I have said before, it will not load XP, it freezes on the XP logo load up screen.
I dont understand that bit, and this is why I suspect it is the BIOS, because, the BIOS is supposed to be V1.9 and mine is not !

I have tried all your suggestions, and below you will see what happened.

I could not take screen shots, so, what I did was to make a picture of them by using Microsoft PowerPoint, and then saving that as a .jpg
The colours are as close to what I could get them:-

First One
Posted Image

Then, I press the /S

Posted Image

This is /E
Posted Image

I am sure that we are on the right track, I am positive that I did that BIOS.ROM correct, but, I will do it all again, just to make sure.

Thanks for your help so far

#13 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

HOW did you use Power Point to make the images? :whistling:

You should have a system booted to a "pure" DOS.

And you should not "press" /S or /5, you should run the program with the option.

:dubbio:
Wonko

#14 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hi Wonko

Hope this is not making you Insane ! :ph34r: :D :(

OK............ first one is easy.
To make PowerPoint Images, you just make a normal powerpoint presentation, and then, when you click "save as" use the drop down menu until you get to JPG and then click save.
It will ask you if you want to save just the current slide, or, the whole presentation. If you click all presentation, it will make a new folder for you, and put all the slides into it, but as jpg files ! :whistling: :(
I use it all the time at work.

Your second point ......

I really dont know ........... i was expecting a DOS prompt, similar to the Caldera DR DOS prompts I was getting, but, I was very pleased when it came up as a GUI
Using your ideas, I just pressed the "Escape" button, typed in "DOSFLASH /S" and then did the same for "DOSFLASH /E"
I got the error messages on both.
Like I said before, I am POSITIVE we are on the right track. It just needs to read the correct BIOS File (And I am sure that is also correct) ! ;) :dubbio: :ph34r:

I have had an idea though, I am downloading BELARC which will tell me EXACTLTY what the laptop has, and I will also do the other Toshiba A60 that is working, and then, compare the two Belarc Files.

#15 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hi Wonko

Hope this is not making you Insane ! :ph34r: :D :(

OK............ first one is easy.
To make PowerPoint Images, you just make a normal powerpoint presentation, and then, when you click "save as" use the drop down menu until you get to JPG and then click save.
It will ask you if you want to save just the current slide, or, the whole presentation. If you click all presentation, it will make a new folder for you, and put all the slides into it, but as jpg files ! :whistling: ;)
I use it all the time at work.

No, rest assured, there are reasons why I am Wonko the Sane. :(
Still, I don't get it.
You mean that you retyped manually the output of the utility creating a Powerpoint presentation from scratch?

Your second point ......

I really dont know ........... i was expecting a DOS prompt, similar to the Caldera DR DOS prompts I was getting, but, I was very pleased when it came up as a GUI

Yep, that's the effect of the autoexec.bat that runs DOSFLASH ROM.BIOS /B

Using your ideas, I just pressed the "Escape" button, typed in "DOSFLASH /S" and then did the same for "DOSFLASH /E"
I got the error messages on both.

Well, yes and no.
I mean how the utility behaves with /S or /5 (are you positive it is an S as in "letter before T and after R" or 5 as in "number before 6 and after 4"? :dubbio:) is yet to be found.

So, once found if it's an S or a 5, I would try - wait a minute, your internal hard disk does have a FAT or FAT32 partition?
I mean, boot from the CD, press ESC to exit the flashing program, and try issueing at the command prompt:
DIR C&#58;\

&#91;ENTER&#93;
can you see a directory listing of your internal hard disk?

If yes, try:
DOSFLASH.EXE C&#58;\oldbios.rom /S

and see what happens.

Like I said before, I am POSITIVE we are on the right track. It just needs to read the correct BIOS File (And I am sure that is also correct) ! :ph34r: ;) ;)

Right now, as I see it, there are 4 (four) likely possibilities:
  • the good Toshiba guys packed the "wrong" BIOS
  • the good Insyde guys wrote a terribly wrong program
  • something is not working as it should on your A60 (hardware problem) ;)
  • PBKAC ;)

Just in case:
  • does the A60 boot from USB?
  • have you got a USB stick handy (that you can re-partition/format)?

I have had an idea though, I am downloading BELARC which will tell me EXACTLTY what the laptop has, and I will also do the other Toshiba A60 that is working, and then, compare the two Belarc Files.

That's a good idea, though even if will give us more data, is unlikely to help in solving the problem. :(

Wonko

#16 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hi Wonko

I did the boot from the CD, pressed ESC to exit the flashing program.
Typed:-
DIR C:\
[ENTER]

Found the dirrectory of the Hard Disk, and at the bottom was the BIOS File

So. .... Typed:-
DOSFLASH.EXE C:\oldbios.rom /S

I got the GUI with the Grey screen and once again ........ Error -- BIOS file incorrect
:blowup: :ph34r: ;) :dubbio: ;)

Unfortunately, I am not able to boot from USB. The BIOS is wrong!
If I could boot from USB, I have a USB Floppy drive that I could insert, put the BIOS onto A Disk, and wallllah,..... all would be good !

Reference the BIOS file from Toshiba. Below is screen shot. You will see that it does two types of A60:-

Posted Image

This is the screen shots from BELARC.
The first one is the working Laptop using Windows XP:-

Posted Image

This second one, as you can see, is using Windows 98:-
Notice the difference in the BIOS date and number! :D
You can why I am convinced that once I sort out the BIOS I should be able to use USB and also to boot up in Windows XP :( :( :whistling:

Posted Image

Not a lot of differences in the next two screen shots:-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the copy of what the Tosbiba Web Site says SHOULD happen when you insert a Floppy Disk, and bear in mind the only difference that I am doing, is to use your method of burning a CD-ROM, so, why the hell dont it work ! ? :ph34r:

BIOS Upgrade Procedure 2

Equium A60
Equium L10
Satellite 1110
Satellite 1130
Satellite 2430
Satellite A30
Satellite Pro A30
Satellite A60
Satellite Pro A60
Satellite L10
Satellite Pro L10
Satellite M30
Satellite Pro M30
Satellite M30X
Satellite P10
Satellite P20
Satellite P30
Tecra S1

1. Extract the zip file containing the BIOS upgrade to a temporary folder.
2. Insert a formatted 1.44MB diskette in the floppy disk drive.
3. Execute the extracted *.exe file in the temporary folder. Follow the instructions on the screen. A BIOS update diskette will be generated.
4. Ensure the Notebook is connected to the mains.
5. Turn the Notebook off.
6. Place the diskette containing the BIOS upgrade in the floppy disk drive.
7. Turn the Notebook on with the F12 key.
8. The BIOS boot menu appears. Select "Removeable Device", "USB Floppy Drive" or the diskette symbol using the arrow keys. Press "Enter".
9. The Notebook will boot from the BIOS upgrade floppy diskette.
10. The BIOS update will start automatically.
11. After a few minutes the Notebook will switch off automatically, remove the diskette and make a restart. If it does not then remove the diskette and turn the system off and back on to restart the Notebook.

#17 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi Wonko

I have just turned the thing off, walked away, had a coffee .........

It HAS to be the BIOS File ! ! ! !
I put the CD-ROM that I made into my GOOD laptop, did the copy BIOS thing. And it would not copy it.

So, if the BIOS in my good laptop is the right one, and this BIOS thingy would not copy it, then it HAS to be the BIOS Thingy !

I am going to re-do the whole thing !

Geoff

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yes, but you see, IF there is something wrong in the way the program communicates to the BIOS, it may also mean that there is some kind of hardware problem.
I find strange that the program, even if the given update BIOS file is "wrong", does not SAVE the existing BIOS.
That could mean both a hardware problem :ph34r: and a "mismatch" of the Utility :whistling:.

Question: is it a five or a S?
Answer: :whistling: It's a 5 as in "number before 6 and after 4", I just peeked inside the DOSFLASH.EXE, 5 means "Save current BIOS to fliename as 512KB"

Try again with /5 (five).

Wonko

#19 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

In case you don't get anywhere, there is always uniflash. Works on most computers but is not as easy to use as the simple manufacturer tools.

#20 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

In case you don't get anywhere, there is always uniflash. Works on most computers but is not as easy to use as the simple manufacturer tools.

:D

Thanks MedEvil, uniflash I have not heard of, but I will Google it.

What I have done now, to give me a Positive ...........

Using the instructions from Toshiba, I have made a Floppy Disk, using the A Drive on my working Tosh Laptop.
I then started it up, using the USB Floppy Drive as First Boot, and up popped EXACTLY the same window as this one:-

Posted Image

EXCEPT ......................................

Instead of telling me it was the wrong file, it started to do a search, and then found the BIOS.ROM File, and just started to upload, with the usual "Windows Type Upload Bar"

When it got to 100% the Laptop just closed down, and then re-booted.

CONCLUSION:-

The files on the Floppy A have to be correct ! :whistling: :whistling: :ph34r:

Got any suggestions please? :blowup:

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

Got any suggestions please? :whistling:

Starting answering to questions, doing what is suggested? :ph34r:

You started going "sideways", I am now completely lost. :whistling:

You stated that the USB floppy didn't work on "that" Toshiba, now it works? :D

Please review your previous post and tell me how the heck can I understand what you have being doing, you have two Toshiba's, one is PSA67E, the other is PSA65E, can you start calling them "67E" and "65E", respectively?

I still don't understand how you are making these images of the DOS flash program running, can you please explain this to me?

Can you try running with the /5 switch?

FORGET for the moment about UNIFLASH, or better, go to the home page:
http://www.rainbow-s...e.org/uniflash/
read the disclaimer, than download it, search UNIFLASH.TXT for "tosh", then FORGET using it on the Toshiba's. :D

Wonko

#22 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Instead of telling me it was the wrong file, it started to do a search, and then found the BIOS.ROM File, and just started to upload, with the usual "Windows Type Upload Bar"

When it got to 100% the Laptop just closed down, and then re-booted.

This is exactly what the flashing of the BIOS looks like. You should now have a brand new BIOS on your laptop.

#23 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Starting answering to questions, doing what is suggested? :ph34r:

You started going "sideways", I am now completely lost. :D

OK....... Sorry
Will not go sideways

You stated that the USB floppy didn't work on "that" Toshiba, now it works? :(
Please review your previous post and tell me how the heck can I understand what you have being doing, you have two Toshiba's, one is PSA67E, the other is PSA65E, can you start calling them "67E" and "65E", respectively?

OK ............. The 67E is the Tosh that will only load up in Windows 98, I cannot get the USB to work. It keeps giving me "Conflicts" in the "Hardware Manager"

I still don't understand how you are making these images of the DOS flash program running, can you please explain this to me?

I build them as a "Picture" in MicroSoft PowerPoint" this is not hard to do, then save them as .JPG files instead of .PPT files

Can you try running with the /5 switch?

I have just run that one, it works by doing /5
But`.......... it goes into the same GUI Screen, and then gives me an error.

FORGET for the moment about UNIFLASH, or better, go to the home page:
http://www.rainbow-s...e.org/uniflash/
read the disclaimer, than download it, search UNIFLASH.TXT for "tosh", then FORGET using it on the Toshiba's. :D

Wonko

OK`......... Uniflash has been forgotten ;)

Please review your previous post and tell me how the heck can I understand what you have being doing .....................

OK ..............
On my GOOD Laptop (The Toshiba 65E) this one is loaded up with Windows XP
It is ALL functioning, with USB, and I have an old USB Floppy Drive which works.
I have inserted this into the 65E, loaded it up, with the 1st Boot device to be Floppy, and so, as per the Toshiba Web Site instructions, it reads the .exe file, and the "Insyde DOS Flash Update Utility" GUI Screen appears.
It tells me that it is searching for files, a graphic bar appears, (for a few seconds) then the "BIOS Complete" wording appears, then the Laptop closes down.

According to the Toshiba Web Site instructions, this is EXACTLY what is supposed to happen if you boot from Floppy Disk (Please see my pic below, I made it in PowerPoint) :-

Posted Image

Please remember that I made the pic above, and so the colours are NOT exact, but they are as close as I could get, bearing in mind that the screen did not appear for very long! ;)

The files that are on the Floppy Disk which I inserted into 65E are as follows:-

autoexec.bat
BIOS.ROM
DOSFLASH.exe
Readme.txt

Hidden files:-
COMMAND.COM
DRVSPACE.BIN
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS

All that I can think of, is to copy these files onto an ISO and burn it to disk ?
:whistling: :D :whistling:

? ? ? ?
Geoff

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

All that I can think of, is to copy these files onto an ISO and burn it to disk ?
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

NO.
You have now a physical floppy disk (media) working and a physical floppy (USB drive) working on the 65E.
I presume you also have a CD burner on the 65E (or on another computer to which you can connect the USB floppy drive).
Then:
Get IMGBURN:
http://www.imgburn.com/

Follow this:
http://forum.imgburn...?showtopic=1779
you only need to selct the floppy as bootable image (last part "Bootable Disc:")

Try the CD on the 67E.

OK ............. The 67E is the Tosh that will only load up in Windows 98, I cannot get the USB to work. It keeps giving me "Conflicts" in the "Hardware Manager"

But it does boot from CD, right?

The only possibility left is that somehow recreating manually the floppy image is not the same as making the program build it, but now that you have a floppy that is surely working, we have to try this latter.

What I am starting to suspect is that the fact that in the 67E you cannot set the BIOS to boot from USB floppy first means that somehow the "resident" BIOS has been corrupted (or something is actually malfunctioning in hardware) that prevents the utility to BOTH save the existing BIOS and flashing it with the new. :cheers:

:cheers:
Wonko

#25 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

You have now a physical floppy disk (media) working and a physical floppy (USB drive) working on the 65E.
I presume you also have a CD burner on the 65E (or on another computer to which you can connect the USB floppy drive).

Y E S

Get IMGBURN:

Try the CD on the 67E.

But it does boot from CD, right?

Y E S

What I am starting to suspect is that the fact that in the 67E you cannot set the BIOS to boot from USB floppy first means that somehow the "resident" BIOS has been corrupted (or something is actually malfunctioning in hardware) that prevents the utility to BOTH save the existing BIOS and flashing it with the new. :cheers:

I am convinced that you are correct ! How it got corrupted I dont know, but you MUST be right.
Any way, I will try the above.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users