#1 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:51 AM

Hello,

I’m a severe WinPE beginner, but I’m trying to build my own working WinPE from scratch. There are a lot of premade WinPEs you can download, but would be something to be proud of if I can get it going myself.

I can easily make a bootable USB driver, but what happens is after the boot screen it comes to a command prompt and stops waiting for input. I use the steps below to create the USB drive:

1.  copype amd64 C:\WinPE_amd64

2. Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\WinPE_amd64\media\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\WinPE_amd64\mount

3. Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\WinPE_amd64\mount /commit

4. MakeWinPEMedia /UFD C:\WinPE_amd64 F:

I hope to get something like Windows explorer to start; desktop icons, start menu, etc. However, this is the part where I’m really stuck at. It seems explorer++ is only a file manager, but it doesn’t show any desktop w/ a My Computer and so on. I’ve been surfing around and found something called bsexplorer. Does anyone know about bsexplorer or another way of getting to the Windows desktop working w/ WinPE?

Will I need to create a wpeinit to make the desktop start as I want, or is there another way of making an windows explorer start?

My laptop has Windows 8 so I can’t make Windows 10 PE.

I realize I’m a severe beginner, but would appreciate any tips or ideas.

Thank You

#2 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

1) By command prompt, do you mean it is literally just loading into the image and launching a command prompt? If so, have you checked the contents of your winpeshl.ini and startnet.cmd?

2) You can make Win10PE using the Windows 10 ADK, can you not? I am fairly sure I did this when I was running Windows 7. Even if you can't, you can download a Windows 10 ISO, extract WinRE.wim and use that as a base.

3) To get desktop and taskbar, you need Windows shell running. Start menu can be then added using third-party apps - noone has figured out how to get the native Win10 start menu working yet. Unfortunately, this is not an easy task, especially for beginners. I've written a guide for a basic explorer in WinPE 10 here - http://reboot.pro/to...er-to-winpe-10/which may be of help.

There are third party shells available but I've never had luck getting them running in WinPE. Personally I don't use explorer myself - I use MultiCommander with a third party taskbar. Even in more developed pre-made images I just haven't found explorer to be reliable enough.

Edited by spleenharvester, 27 July 2016 - 04:39 AM.

#3 Win-10_Hacker

Win-10_Hacker
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

This Post uses some, un-scriped, Advanced and possibly Potential Fatal Methods, so its best to first practice on an old and unimportant computer.
If you make a fatal mistake, you can, then reload a Windows Demo/Preview Operating System or the "Free" Win-10.
Note that the "Free" Win-10 will read, and use, your "BIOS KEY" so when its "Re-Installed" it simply "Re-Reads" your existing "BIOS KEY".
However, as usual, a lot of other windows stuff is randomized. NirSofts's "ProduKey" can be used to read your "BIOS KEY".
If you then go, on-line, the "Free" Win-10 then simply "Re-Install's" its normal stuff.

a/ "...found something called bsexplorer..."

b/ "...Does anyone know about bsexplorer or another way of getting to the Windows desktop?..."

c/ "...I’m trying to build my own working WinPE from scratch"..."

Bs-Explorer (1v7) is a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option", for Me, on Win-7PE, Win-8PE and Win-10PE all were the x32 versions.
I have no experiance with x64 versions, and so I won't comment on it.

A simple, but un-scriped, way "...to build..." a "...WinPE from scratch..." is just to your, "Existing", Win-8RE.
To use your, "Existing", Win-8RE your Password will, probably, also be needed.

You will need to use some additional software, located on your HardDisk or on an USB, some of which are listed below:-

# Process-Explorer, a "Reliable" and "Dependable", "Option" to replace M$-Task-Manager.

# Bs-Explorer, a "Reliable" and "Dependable", "Option", to then run "Bs-Start" to substitute for "M$-Start".

# PE-Shell, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then "Change" the Screen Resolution of your Laptop's External, VGA or HDMI Monitor.

# Dependency-Walker, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then determine the "CORE Missing" Win-PE files.

# NotePad++,, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then ...............

# #####-#####, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then copy the "Missing" Win-PE files to "X:\windows\...\...." etc, etc.

# Registry-Workshop (A Demo is a Ok), a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then "Change" the Win-PE registry.

# BootIce, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then "Change" the way your laptop "Boot's" or "Multi-Boot's".

(There are now to many "Options" to Detail in this Post that I will skip, for now, ALL these details.)

So the Next Step is to:-

0/ Make sure the additional files and software is located on your HardDisk or on your USB,

1/ Start your Win-8RE.

2/ Once Win-8RE is running you will need to navigate to the Command Prompt.

3/ At the Command Prompt type in TASKMGR

4/ Use "TASKMGR" to run "Bs-Explorer" and "Process-Explorer", in any order, that suits you.

5/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then "REPLACE" "TASKMGR" then "KILL" "TASKMGR".

6/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then do your next most important "Task", for this post, it's probably running PE-Shell.

7/ Use PE-Shell to then "Change" the Screen Resolution of your Laptop's External, VGA or HDMI Monitor.

8/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then do your next most important "Task", for this post, it's probably then to "KILL" PE-Shell.

9/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then do your next most important "Task", for this post, it's probably to run Dependency-Walker...etc.

Some "VERY" Important Win-PE Set-Up "Notes":-

A/ Re-read again this post's "Introduction and Warning".

B/ The "CORE Missing" Win-PE files "Don't" have to be "Initaly" located in the "X:\windows\...\...."  folder, but can be Copied there later.

C/ The "Process-Explorer" "CORE Missing" Win-PE files, Win-PE initaly look's, in your local folder such as your USB so just put them there.  

D/ The "CORE Missing" Win-PE files can, simply, be found by Dependency-Walker when running windows normaly. (i.e. By using Non Win-PE mode.)

E/ The "CORE Missing" Win-PE files can be found by Dependency-Walker, I use "REGEDIT.exe", as a "Standard Windows File" to determine the "CORE Missing" files.

E/ There is always some "NON-CORE Missing" Win-PE files, so if there not in the "C:\windows\...\...."  folder they are, probably, not needed.

F/ "...Windows Desktop...", its not-needed, BUT.... To be Continued, if anyone is interested.

Additional Detail's, Improvements, Errors, Comments, Anyone ??

Edit #1:-

Win-10_Tip #1 Once your Win-10PE is working it can be used to install, or re-install, ("Free") Win-10 from a Win-10 Install.esd file
Directly from your HardDrive or USB (some details are ommited) just by running "SETUP". No Install.esd to Install.wim conversion is needed.

#4 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

1) By command prompt, do you mean it is literally just loading into the image and launching a command prompt? If so, have you checked the contents of your winpeshl.ini and startnet.cmd?

2) You can make Win10PE using the Windows 10 ADK, can you not? I am fairly sure I did this when I was running Windows 7. Even if you can't, you can download a Windows 10 ISO, extract WinRE.wim and use that as a base.

3) To get desktop and taskbar, you need Windows shell running. Start menu can be then added using third-party apps - noone has figured out how to get the native Win10 start menu working yet. Unfortunately, this is not an easy task, especially for beginners. I've written a guide for a basic explorer in WinPE 10 here - http://reboot.pro/to...er-to-winpe-10/which may be of help.

There are third party shells available but I've never had luck getting them running in WinPE. Personally I don't use explorer myself - I use MultiCommander with a third party taskbar. Even in more developed pre-made images I just haven't found explorer to be reliable enough.

Hello,

Thanks for writing back. I've included a picture of what it looks like booting straight to the command prompt. I suppose I do need to start messing w/ the winpeshi.ini, but there's nothing you can do to edit the startnet.cmd file, right?

I've tried the taskmanger to run the file bsexplore but when I hit the browse button nothing happens...I have some work to do.

I've use Windows 8 x64, so the WinPE images I'm creating are x64; have to try to make an x86 on my PC sometime.

Thank You

#5 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

This Post uses some, un-scriped, Advanced and possibly Potential Fatal Methods, so its best to first practice on an old and unimportant computer.
If you make a fatal mistake, you can, then reload a Windows Demo/Preview Operating System or the "Free" Win-10.
Note that the "Free" Win-10 will read, and use, your "BIOS KEY" so when its "Re-Installed" it simply "Re-Reads" your existing "BIOS KEY".
However, as usual, a lot of other windows stuff is randomized. NirSofts's "ProduKey" can be used to read your "BIOS KEY".
If you then go, on-line, the "Free" Win-10 then simply "Re-Install's" its normal stuff.

a/ "...found something called bsexplorer..."

b/ "...Does anyone know about bsexplorer or another way of getting to the Windows desktop?..."

c/ "...I’m trying to build my own working WinPE from scratch"..."

Bs-Explorer (1v7) is a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option", for Me, on Win-7PE, Win-8PE and Win-10PE all were the x32 versions.
I have no experiance with x64 versions, and so I won't comment on it.

A simple, but un-scriped, way "...to build..." a "...WinPE from scratch..." is just to your, "Existing", Win-8RE.
To use your, "Existing", Win-8RE your Password will, probably, also be needed.

You will need to use some additional software, located on your HardDisk or on an USB, some of which are listed below:-

# Process-Explorer, a "Reliable" and "Dependable", "Option" to replace M$-Task-Manager.

# Bs-Explorer, a "Reliable" and "Dependable", "Option", to then run "Bs-Start" to substitute for "M$-Start".

# PE-Shell, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then "Change" the Screen Resolution of your Laptop's External, VGA or HDMI Monitor.

# Dependency-Walker, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then determine the "CORE Missing" Win-PE files.

# NotePad++,, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then ...............

# #####-#####, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then copy the "Missing" Win-PE files to "X:\windows\...\...." etc, etc.

# Registry-Workshop (A Demo is a Ok), a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then "Change" the Win-PE registry.

# BootIce, a "Reliable" and "Dependable" "Option" to then "Change" the way your laptop "Boot's" or "Multi-Boot's".

(There are now to many "Options" to Detail in this Post that I will skip, for now, ALL these details.)

So the Next Step is to:-

0/ Make sure the additional files and software is located on your HardDisk or on your USB,

1/ Start your Win-8RE.

2/ Once Win-8RE is running you will need to navigate to the Command Prompt.

3/ At the Command Prompt type in TASKMGR

4/ Use "TASKMGR" to run "Bs-Explorer" and "Process-Explorer", in any order, that suits you.

5/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then "REPLACE" "TASKMGR" then "KILL" "TASKMGR".

6/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then do your next most important "Task", for this post, it's probably running PE-Shell.

7/ Use PE-Shell to then "Change" the Screen Resolution of your Laptop's External, VGA or HDMI Monitor.

8/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then do your next most important "Task", for this post, it's probably then to "KILL" PE-Shell.

9/ Use "Process-Explorer" to then do your next most important "Task", for this post, it's probably to run Dependency-Walker...etc.

Some "VERY" Important Win-PE Set-Up "Notes":-

A/ Re-read again this post's "Introduction and Warning".

B/ The "CORE Missing" Win-PE files "Don't" have to be "Initaly" located in the "X:\windows\...\...."  folder, but can be Copied there later.

C/ The "Process-Explorer" "CORE Missing" Win-PE files, Win-PE initaly look's, in your local folder such as your USB so just put them there.  

D/ The "CORE Missing" Win-PE files can, simply, be found by Dependency-Walker when running windows normaly. (i.e. By using Non Win-PE mode.)

E/ The "CORE Missing" Win-PE files can be found by Dependency-Walker, I use "REGEDIT.exe", as a "Standard Windows File" to determine the "CORE Missing" files.

E/ There is always some "NON-CORE Missing" Win-PE files, so if there not in the "C:\windows\...\...."  folder they are, probably, not needed.

F/ "...Windows Desktop...", its not-needed, BUT.... To be Continued, if anyone is interested.

Additional Detail's, Improvements, Errors, Comments, Anyone ??

Edit #1:-

Win-10_Tip #1 Once your Win-10PE is working it can be used to install, or re-install, ("Free") Win-10 from a Win-10 Install.esd file
Directly from your HardDrive or USB (some details are ommited) just by running "SETUP". No Install.esd to Install.wim conversion is needed.

Hello,

I’ve done some searching over my WinPE images, and turns out I do have a WinPE 8 x32. I’ve messed around w/ the image so far, and am able to get bsexplorer to start, but I’ve got a very long way to go before I get to a somewhat functional WinPE.

When I use run from the start menu, hit browse, a window doesn’t even come up for me to pick a particular file out. There’s also no my computer icon on the desktop, and I’d really like to be able to see what devices need drivers, but I think getting that far is a long ways away.

There are a lot of premade WinPEs to download, and there are a lot of WInPEs called Gandell’s WinPE. What I’m trying to do, and haven’t had any luck finding this yet, but look at the start up files from the ISO mentioned above. I look at the startnet.cmd, and all I see is winpeinit. Winpeinit is an executable that I try to open w/ notepad but it’s all junk. Looking at the winpeshl.ini there’s nothing in there, and when I open the winpeshl.exe I see nothing but junk.

I’d like to see what Gandell’s WinPE uses to get its desktop going. A desktop that has my computer on it.

Unless I’m doing something wrong, it seems this site doesn’t want me to attach an attachment.

I’ve tried this website in making an Win8-RE, but as for now get the message recimage doesn’t exist. http://www.makeuseof...-recovery-disk/

Any suggestions or ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

Replied on your duplicate thread:

http://reboot.pro/to...npe-8-beginner/

:duff:

Wonko

#7 Win-10_Hacker

Win-10_Hacker
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:33 AM

Any suggestions or ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

"...I've tried the task manger to run the file bsexplore

but when I hit the browse button nothing happens

...I have some work to do..."

With your x32 version, run Task Manager,

Then type the Exact path to your Process Explorer File.

Your Process Explorer Folder should contain all of the MISSING

Dependency Files previously found by Dependency Walker

in C:\Windows\...\...

The the browse button wont work at this early stage.

Then use Process Explorer to run Bs-Explorer.

Edit #1 added "MISSING"

You just need to add the MISSING Dependency Walker files.

Edited by Win-10_Hacker, 29 July 2016 - 06:04 AM.

#8 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

I may have stumbled upon something hopefully can be useful. I keep a lot of ISO images for outside work I do. I ordered Windows 7 from ebay, and I extracted the boot.wim from the ISO image.

I use a program called PowerISO, and I opened the boot .wim file w/ power ISO it shows me a screen showing me I can select either Windows PE or Microsoft Windows setup from that .wim file. I used powerISO to burn the whole .wim file to a flash drive. I rebooted the laptop, choose boot from USB drive, and you can the LED flash on the flash drive but eventually the laptop boots itself up. I chose the PE part of the .wim file, extracted the files, made an ISO, and this time the cursor started blinking and kept blinking...had to turn the laptop off to stop the cursor. PowerISO won’t save a .wim file only extract from the file. This means when I choose the PE part of the .wim file I can’t save only the PE part of the .wim…I can only work w/ the entire .wim file.

Along w/ boot.wim there’s also an install.wim. I burn the install.wim to a flash using PowerISO, and the USB LED light flashes but never does anything & the laptop starts booting. I extracted the install.wim & made an ISO from it but didn’t boot.

There’s also a winRE.wim file. I burned winRE.wim to the flash but didn’t work. I made an ISO from the files of the winRE.wim file, burned to flash drive to USB, didn’t work.

I can burn the whole ISO file to a flash using PowerISO & works fine, but can’t say I see any choice to select PE.

I tried the method of converting the boot.wim to an ISO using the oscdimg command line tool, burn the ISO to a flash, and the flash booted only to the Windows 7 install

I converted WinRE.wim to an ISO using oscdimg, burned ISO to flash w/ poweriso, & booted but came up w’ error on screen: 0xc000000f requited device is inaccessible. Maybe a driver problem?

Hopefully because I’m now able to create bootable ISOs (not really worth anything though), I’ll be able to hopefully modify the right files to get the flash to boot just to a functioning Windows desktop.

As you can see, I spend a lot of time doing trial & error along w/ R&D trying to get my own basic PE going. However, I really want to get somewhat of a functional PE made by me instead of another way(s).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Yep, but from what you posted, you make a lot of trials and errors, and R&D is a side thought, more than that, the idea of Research (that comes before Devlopment) implies that you study and understand the basics and become familiar with "prior art".

Again, forget (temporarily about your random trial and errors) forget (possibly) about powerIso, just try to build a WinPE or a WinRe with the QuickPE mehthod, then study the commands in the batches and start introducing your own changes:
http://reboot.pro/to...npe-8-beginner/

It will take you what, 5 to 10 minutes to run the thingy and get a working basic WinPE, with the advantages that:
1) the build is repeatable
2) it is made through a set of plain commands that you can study, modify and test

Of course you are very welcome to continue trying random things to see if they work (which is a large part of the fun :)) but it makes little sense to ask for suggestions and advice and then do completely different things from what was suggested.

Wonko

#10 slore

slore

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

bsexplorer wouldn't use in x64 PE,so i don't use bsexplorer at all,

but at last year I create a likely shell tool --- PExlorer for x64 WIN10 PE.

it works fine in WIN7,8,8.1,10 PE, or normal Windows,

maybe you can try this.

url:http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jIMzbAu  password:602p

how to use?

1. kill the exist shell program(s).

a. explorer.exe (normal windows)

b. wallpaperHost.exe

2. set the use profile path

set USERPROFILE=X:\Users\Default

3.start PExlorer.exe.

start PExlorer.exe -winpe

the desktop,taskbar,simple startmenu is zero dependencies for boot.wim,winre.wim.
the file explorer is use a FileOpenDialog, so need some dll in system32 and reg.
(as same as if taskmgr's browser button can be work.)

so I add a settings for use a zero dependencies file explorer like explorer++.exe,
just remove the "#" in PExlorer.jcfg to be "3rd_filename"
  "JS_FILEEXPLORER":
  {
    "#3rd_filename":"##{JVAR_MODULEPATH}\\explorer++.exe",
    "#padding-bottom":20
  },

this will change the effort for the doule click on desktop(this PC, recyle, folders)

BTW,you can use Classic Shell for creating the Start Menu,

====================================================================

as i am also a beginner for building windows PE,  i create WIMBuilder for modfiy a WIM file 

to create a Win PE.

WIMBuilder is very very small, easy to use, and use Windows's DISM command

and BATCH,VBSCRIPT files to implement

1) mount WIM

2) add/delete/update file(s), or reg hive

3) unmount WIM

just create a folder put file or filelist.txt, reg file into it, this tool also can done:

2) it is made through a set of plain commands that you can study, modify and test

you can also get this from above url, 

MyPE_Workspace\PB_Workspace.zip

there also have some sample Projects.

the WIM builder wil create any version's PE with one Project.

just need you have Win10's install.wim and boot.wim.

so you can create win10PE on your Win8

#11 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

bsexplorer wouldn't use in x64 PE,so i don't use bsexplorer at all,

but at last year I create a likely shell tool --- PExlorer for x64 WIN10 PE.

it works fine in WIN7,8,8.1,10 PE, or normal Windows,

maybe you can try this.

how to use?

1. kill the exist shell program(s).

a. explorer.exe (normal windows)

b. wallpaperHost.exe

2. set the use profile path

set USERPROFILE=X:\Users\Default

3.start PExlorer.exe.

start PExlorer.exe -winpe

the desktop,taskbar,simple startmenu is zero dependencies for boot.wim,winre.wim.
the file explorer is use a FileOpenDialog, so need some dll in system32 and reg.
(as same as if taskmgr's browser button can be work.)

so I add a settings for use a zero dependencies file explorer like explorer++.exe,
just remove the "#" in PExlorer.jcfg to be "3rd_filename"
  "JS_FILEEXPLORER":
  {
    "#3rd_filename":"##{JVAR_MODULEPATH}\\explorer++.exe",
    "#padding-bottom":20
  },

this will change the effort for the doule click on desktop(this PC, recyle, folders)

BTW,you can use Classic Shell for creating the Start Menu,

====================================================================

as i am also a beginner for building windows PE,  i create WIMBuilder for modfiy a WIM file 

to create a Win PE.

WIMBuilder is very very small, easy to use, and use Windows's DISM command

and BATCH,VBSCRIPT files to implement

1) mount WIM

2) add/delete/update file(s), or reg hive

3) unmount WIM

just create a folder put file or filelist.txt, reg file into it, this tool also can done:

you can also get this from above url, 

MyPE_Workspace\PB_Workspace.zip

there also have some sample Projects.

the WIM builder wil create any version's PE with one Project.

just need you have Win10's install.wim and boot.wim.

so you can create win10PE on your Win8

I’ve tried QuckPE making winPE4.iso, burned it to flash, and booted to a portable taskbar program called tinytaskbar. The tinytaskbar is for the most part a file manager.

I’ve found an application called Explorer++, which looks to be somewhat promising. Explorer++ does have a control panel option that shows some control panel icons, but doesn’t do anything when you click on a control panel icon.

I used the late build of Winbuilder to build what appears to be a very basic PE w/o out any plugins, but get error messages when try to go to device manager; says missing application w/ a long error code.

I took the explorer.exe from the Winbuilder ISO, imported into my WinPE, and was booting to what looked to be a desktop then got a dll file missing error. I manually inserted the dll into my WinPE and now just restarts when booting into WinPE. I didn’t think it would be near anywhere simple as inserting missing files.

I’m messing w/ the PE Explorer but that looks intimidating for me.

Does PE keep an error long somewhere?

I wish I were a beginner at your level.

Thank You.

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

At the time, manually adding Explorer as shell to a Windows PE 3.x was feasible:

http://reboot.pro/to...-shell-problem/

I don' t think that much have changed on a PE 4.x or 5.x, but surely some adaptations/changes are needed.

Why don't you try now that you are getting more familiar with the basics a full featured project like Win8 PESE:

http://www.msfn.org/...1226-win8pe-se/

and get the needed files/registry settings from that?

Wonko

#13 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

I’ve tried QuckPE making winPE4.iso, burned it to flash, and booted to a portable taskbar program called tinytaskbar. The tinytaskbar is for the most part a file manager.

I’ve found an application called Explorer++, which looks to be somewhat promising. Explorer++ does have a control panel option that shows some control panel icons, but doesn’t do anything when you click on a control panel icon.

I used the late build of Winbuilder to build what appears to be a very basic PE w/o out any plugins, but get error messages when try to go to device manager; says missing application w/ a long error code.

I took the explorer.exe from the Winbuilder ISO, imported into my WinPE, and was booting to what looked to be a desktop then got a dll file missing error. I manually inserted the dll into my WinPE and now just restarts when booting into WinPE. I didn’t think it would be near anywhere simple as inserting missing files.

I’m messing w/ the PE Explorer but that looks intimidating for me.

Does PE keep an error long somewhere?

I wish I were a beginner at your level.

Thank You.

Few points here - 

1) No error log kept, but note that you do not have to reboot every time you make changes unless you need to replace a DLL rather than add/remove. You can just add things to X:\Windows and try and load Explorer again. Which DLL was it? You might be able to throw it into Dependency Walker and see what is missing.

2) Unfortunately that's quite a common occurrence - it's difficult to just shotgun-add many DLLs to an image,  because a) some from a full installation will just break WinPE, and B) if those DLLs have dependencies missing it can cause the behaviour your are describing.

3) Control panel dependencies aren't present in WinPE. They're unfortunately not easy to add, either.

4) As per my first post, I've outlined how you can add Explorer shell in WinPE 10 here - http://reboot.pro/to...er-to-winpe-10/if for some reason you don't want to create a PE 10 image, your best bet is to examine the Explorer.script file from the w8pese project and add the regkeys encoded by that script using WBzip - google "1-Explorer.script". There are still some keys required that aren't present in that script if memory serves.

5) Aside from explorer shell, XYPlorer is a really great 32-bit file manager you may wish to try. Multicommander is also pretty good and supports 32-bit and 64-bit PEs. These don't suffer the refresh issues that a lot of other file browsers do when Explorer shell is not running.

Also, where did you get 'tinytaskbar'? Portable taskbars are really hard to come by, I've only found one in a really obscure prebuilt Macrium Reflect PE image.

Edited by spleenharvester, 01 August 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#14 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Oh also, if it's more that you want the challenge of getting it working from scratch, here are some techniques you will want to familiarise yourself with.

1. ProcessMonitor. By far the most useful tool for building PEs - I got Explorer shell working with this without looking at the Explorer.script file. Load it up, filter by your program of choice that is non-working, attempt to launch said program.

• File dependencies are the first thing you should look at. Filter by file dependencies and look for "File not found" on \system32 or \syswow64 files.

• Look at reg dependencies if nothing sticks out at you in file dependencies. In the context of Windows components you will most often be looking at HKCR\CLSID entries that show as 'not found'. HKLM\software\microsoft\windows and the equivalent entry in HKCU are also quite common targets.

• Note that both contain many false positives/'noise' (eg program.exe.Local, looking for DLLs and regkeys in wrong directories, etc). How much 'noise' usually depends on how sloppily coded the program is.

2. Block file copies/registry transfer. If you absolutely cannot for the life of you find out what is wrong with the program, just begin copying files in from a full Windows installation (or a prebuilt PE where the program is working, ideally).

• I usually start with system32\a*, then system32\b*, etc, testing the program at each interval. If it starts working, this narrows things down.

• As far as registry keys go, export keys from the aforementioned working image in bulk and add to your own image. If it starts working, narrow down by subkeys (eg if HKLM\software works, try HKLM\software\microsoft). 

3. Dependency walker. This has never once been of use for me since there will be many false positives present, and it takes a lot longer than ProcMon. But others here seem to rate it.

• Throw in a DLL or EXE, do the same on a working install, compare the results.

4. Looking at other projects. As per previous post, projects such as Win8 PE SE publish the individual winbuilder scripts online. These can be a huge help if you can't figure out the problem yourself.

Sometimes it just isn't possible to get things working. For example, none of the prebuilt PEs have a working Windows 10 start menu. I once got it to open very briefly but was never able to replicate it. Anyway, good luck.

Edited by spleenharvester, 01 August 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#15 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Few points here - 

1) No error log kept, but note that you do not have to reboot every time you make changes unless you need to replace a DLL rather than add/remove. You can just add things to X:\Windows and try and load Explorer again. Which DLL was it? You might be able to throw it into Dependency Walker and see what is missing.

2) Unfortunately that's quite a common occurrence - it's difficult to just shotgun-add many DLLs to an image,  because a) some from a full installation will just break WinPE, and B) if those DLLs have dependencies missing it can cause the behaviour your are describing.

3) Control panel dependencies aren't present in WinPE. They're unfortunately not easy to add, either.

4) As per my first post, I've outlined how you can add Explorer shell in WinPE 10 here - http://reboot.pro/to...er-to-winpe-10/if for some reason you don't want to create a PE 10 image, your best bet is to examine the Explorer.script file from the w8pese project and add the regkeys encoded by that script using WBzip - google "1-Explorer.script". There are still some keys required that aren't present in that script if memory serves.

5) Aside from explorer shell, XYPlorer is a really great 32-bit file manager you may wish to try. Multicommander is also pretty good and supports 32-bit and 64-bit PEs. These don't suffer the refresh issues that a lot of other file browsers do when Explorer shell is not running.

Also, where did you get 'tinytaskbar'? Portable taskbars are really hard to come by, I've only found one in a really obscure prebuilt Macrium Reflect PE image.

I'm sorry, it meant to say tiny shell instead of tinytaskbar. You may already know about it: http://reboot.pro/topic/18744-quickpe/

• spleenharvester likes this

#16 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

I'm sorry, it meant to say tiny shell instead of tinytaskbar. You may already know about it: http://reboot.pro/topic/18744-quickpe/

Hello,

I've been trying to get XYplorer to startup through the winpeshl.ini, but haven't had any success for some reason. I've gotten a few different portable apps to start using the winpeshi.ini but not for XYplorer.

I've installed XYplorer to the X drive, the boot drive of WInPE, and used AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe Also tried AppPath = X:\Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe, and AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\XYplorer.exe

Trying the different paths in the winpeshl.ini I got the error message "winpeshl is present but no commands were succesfully
launched. This could be caused by incorrect formatting or invalid executable name. Please consult the documentation for more info"

Wonder what I'm missing to make XYplorer to work through the winpeshl.ini?

I thought you'd have to have an install DVD, ISO image, or extracted ISO files to work w/ WinPE 10.

Thanks a lot

#17 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

Hello,

I've been trying to get XYplorer to startup through the winpeshl.ini, but haven't had any success for some reason. I've gotten a few different portable apps to start using the winpeshi.ini but not for XYplorer.

I've installed XYplorer to the X drive, the boot drive of WInPE, and used AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe Also tried AppPath = X:\Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe, and AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\XYplorer.exe

Trying the different paths in the winpeshl.ini I got the error message "winpeshl is present but no commands were succesfully
launched. This could be caused by incorrect formatting or invalid executable name. Please consult the documentation for more info"

Wonder what I'm missing to make XYplorer to work through the winpeshl.ini?

I thought you'd have to have an install DVD, ISO image, or extracted ISO files to work w/ WinPE 10.

Thanks a lot

First - there is a portable version of XYPlorer you might find easier to work with.

Second - it might be that WinPE8 is missing dependencies, and it's launching unsuccessfully. You could try using the following winpeshl.ini:

[LaunchApps]
x:\program files\xyplorer\xyplorer.exe
x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
  • This will launch XYplorer then cmd.exe.
  • Essentially, if there are dependencies missing for xyplorer to work, you can launch xyplorer from cmd and it should give you a more in depth error. (XYplorer does also spit out a log, too)
  • Also are you sure the exe name is xyplorer.exe and not xyplorerfree.exe if you are using the free version?

Third - you get WinPE from the Windows 10 ADK which you should be able to download even for Win8, OR you can download a Windows 10 ISO from here and use winre.wim - https://www.heidoc.n...o-download-tool

• I recommend using winre.wim instead of winpe.wim as it has a greater number of dependencies needed by many programs.
  • You can find the full installation in \sources\install.wim index 1.
  • You can get winre.wim from \sources\install.wim, index 1, \windows\system32\recovery\winre.wim.

Cheers

#18 slore

slore

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

I cann't get download url from your post 3rd-explorer and taskbar topic,

so I download Macrium Reflect PE image to get them.

the 90's taskbar is so sample, and not cool for WIN7,8,10 PE( XP, Win2003 style).

no start menu, no quick launch bar, no trayicon and clock area.

there is a open source software - EmergeDesktop, it run in PE as well.

EmergeDesktop split shell in small part, like ,taskbar, trayarea, clock area, etc.

What a greatest shell program is ROS Explorer.

ros-explorer.png

http://www.foxplanet.de/explorer/

I got the only one which one show the Implementation of windows shell in the INTERNET.

if you are a programer, you can create your own EXPLORER with it's source code.

with that help, I create my shell - PExlorer.exe, I sorry I cann't find how to upload it in post,but a 

Chinese file repository which has mentioned  in this topic.

It's zero  dependencies for boot.wim,winre.wim for you get the

StartMenu,QuickLanch,Taskbar,TrayArea,Clock,

and I use FileOpenDialog(the one like notepad,taskmgr,File->Browse) as File Explorer.

and I patch 1 byte to hack shell32.dll for auto refresh the File Explorer when add,rename,delete files with it.

the FileOpenDialog "File Explorer" need dll and ExplorerFrame.dll's CLSID.

NewOpenDlg:
ADD_ITEMS.txt

1. Windows\System32\ExplorerFrame.dll
  2. Windows\System32\shellstyle.dll
  3. Windows\System32\StructuredQuery.dll
  5. ;some version of WIN10 need this file,
  6. ;some version will broke if have this file.
  7. Windows\System32\edputil.dll

NewOpenDlg.reg

1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
  3. ;explorerframe.dll
  4. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{056440FD-8568-48e7-A632-72157243B55B}]
  5. @="Explorer Navigation Bar"
  6. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{056440FD-8568-48e7-A632-72157243B55B}\InProcServer32]
  7. @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  8.   00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,65,00,78,00,\
  9.   70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,66,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,65,00,2e,00,64,\
  10.   00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
  11. "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
  13. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AE054212-3535-4430-83ED-D501AA6680E6}]
  14. @="Shell Name Space ListView"
  15. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{AE054212-3535-4430-83ED-D501AA6680E6}\InProcServer32]
  16. @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  17.   00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,65,00,78,00,\
  18.   70,00,6c,00,6f,00,72,00,65,00,72,00,66,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,65,00,2e,00,64,\
  19.   00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
  20. "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
  21. ;@="X:\\Windows\\system32\\explorerframe.dll"

============================================================================

1470113296x1035372921.png 

1470113370x1035372891.png 

checkout the My_PB_workspace\Projects\MaintPE for more feature with boot.wim or winre.wim.

like, drag and drop for desktop and applactions.(drag to cmd,drag to notepad)

like,files/folders property

like,progressbar for copy/move files/folders.(import the INTERFCE.reg from install.wim)

Edited by slore, 02 August 2016 - 05:03 AM.

#19 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:37 AM

PExlorer.exe looks very impressive, good job! I'd love to try it out on my 10PE but can't seem to register on bbs.wuyou  :(  Is there any alternative download link?

#20 slore

slore

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

PExlorer.exe looks very impressive, good job! I'd love to try it out on my 10PE but can't seem to register on bbs.wuyou  :(  Is there any alternative download link?

I didn't metion bbs.wuyou in this topic,(how you find bbs.wuyou?)

but I metioned in the early reply:

can you download from there?

if you cannot, tell me your mail address, I will send it to you with email.

• spleenharvester likes this

#21 spleenharvester

spleenharvester

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

I didn't metion bbs.wuyou in this topic,(how you find bbs.wuyou?)

but I metioned in the early reply:

can you download from there?

if you cannot, tell me your mail address, I will send it to you with email.

Found it by googling PExlorer.exe. Assumed that was what you were referring to.  :)

That link worked after a bit of translation, will check it now, thanks  ;)

Btw, have you tried the 'Upload file' button in the downloads section? Might be a bit easier for people to access: http://reboot.pro/files/

EDIT - Can't seem to get PExlorer working unfortunately - gives an access violation error with "The memory could not be read". The only dependency I could see missing in Process Monitor was shunimpl.dll which does not fix the problem. This occurs in WinPE10 build 10.0.586.122, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, en-us. Any ideas?

EDIT 2 - Also sorry OP, I seem to have derailed the thread a bit!

Edited by spleenharvester, 02 August 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#22 kevluck373

kevluck373

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

Found it by googling PExlorer.exe. Assumed that was what you were referring to.  :)

That link worked after a bit of translation, will check it now, thanks  ;)

Btw, have you tried the 'Upload file' button in the downloads section? Might be a bit easier for people to access: http://reboot.pro/files/

EDIT - Can't seem to get PExlorer working unfortunately - gives an access violation error with "The memory could not be read". The only dependency I could see missing in Process Monitor was shunimpl.dll which does not fix the problem. This occurs in WinPE10 build 10.0.586.122, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, en-us. Any ideas?

EDIT 2 - Also sorry OP, I seem to have derailed the thread a bit!

I can get to the site, enter the code, and the download page comes up, but it seems before I can download the file I must enter some information. I can’t read what information is being requested. My email is kevluck1154@gmail.com if you’d like to send it to me that way please.

I’ve tried to use rosexplorer but get a memory error message. For now, I’m using xyplorerfree. I’m also started to mess w/ PEnetwork but get a DLL file error: auto it v3: PENetwork.exe – entry point not found. The procedure entry point WaitForSingleObject could not be located in the dynamic link library apl-ms-win-core-synch-l 1-2-0.dll. I have this error screen captured in a screen shot picture, but for some reason I can’t attach a file in rebootpro.

I’m messing around w/ the setres too, but can’t really tell if the setres works. Maybe I have to get the right video driver? This is how I’ve got setres configured in the winpeshl.ini

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\System32\setres.exe -r 1600 x 900

Thank You

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users