#51 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

Hey, that's some helpful research, Misty! I also checked my own c:\windows\system32\recovery folder, and I only have reagent.xml there.....I checked two VMs - both Windows 8.1, clean install, one i386 and the other amd64 - both had the recovery\reagent.xml, but nothing else. Since these were virgin installs off of boot CDs, there's no way I can count on WinRE being present there on end-user systems.

Check out the article Wonko mentioned in a previous post...

See if this only seemingly unrelated article helps you in understanding the above.
http://www.terabyteu...icle.php?id=587

...which details a method for locating WinRE (if it's on the C:\ drive). Editing the command slightly, in MistyPE I use the following dir command (courtesy of erwan.l's QuickPE)...
dir /b /a:h /S c:\recovery\*.wim
...which results in the following output...
C:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim 
Running the same command on my Windows 7 system results in the following output...
C:\recovery\67b16784-8861-11e2-b852-d78cca863f4f\Winre.wim
Please note that this is a hidden file - using this method is in my opinion the easiest way of locating the file.

In my opinion there are pros and cons to all of the possible methods so far discussed. How about offering the end user a few choices. E.g. try to use WinRE.wim and if it can't be located (or perhaps doesn't work - e.g. if an OEM has ****** it up) then (try and) download the ADK wim.

How were the wild outdoors, then? Any nice campfire stories? :)

Camping trip was great fun - not sure one night spent at a campsite on a theme park constitutes "the wild outdoors" though - we were there for my eldest's birthday.

"As Misty, Simon, and Jaclaz were sitting by the now dwindling campfire...

Imagine Misty, Simon and Wonko all sitting around the same virtual campfire - might be more than just the marshmellows that get toasted!

Misty

#52 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

I also checked my own c:\windows\system32\recovery folder, and I only have reagent.xml there.

Windows 8 default setup copy the file to the 300 MB recovery partition.
Letter R: assigned at diskpart:
R:\Recovery\WindowsRE\boot.sdi
R:\Recovery\WindowsRE\ReAgent.xml
R:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim

Comprare bcdedit /enum all

Download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) with BITS cmdlets
http://p0w3rsh3ll.wo...h-bits-cmdlets/
http://p0w3rsh3ll.wo...indows-adk-8-1/

The boot.wim files are from 2013, hence WinPE 5.0.
Update WinPE 5.0 to WinPE 5.1: http://technet.micro...y/dn613859.aspx

I camped last weekend light weight:
a ground shield, a ground pad, a sleeping bag, no tent.
Luckily no raining at night.

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

@Misty
Seriously, there are things, like beauty, that are in the eyes of the beholder, I believe (and also stated elsewhere) that it seems to me like once one brushes aside the stupid forced-upon-user interface (and don't think the Unity is in any way better) the underlying OS has a number of good points.

Among these, the WOF driver is probably one of the best things.

There is however an issue (of unknown origin yet, possibly connected with some UNdocumented new "feature" of NTFS) that slows the filesystem noticeably), JFYI:
http://www.msfn.org/...ormance-tweaks/

@All
my bad, a few words somehow slipped in my previous post :w00t: /the concept was not made very clear:

as you can gather from the above the winre.wim resides in \Windows\System32\Recovery and is part of the "recoverysequence".

should be read as 

as you can gather from the above the location of winre.wim is inside the reagent.xml that resides in \Windows\System32\Recovery and is part of the "recoverysequence".

I cannot believe that a new installation of Windows 8.1 has not a WinRE.wim *somewhere*.

In any case, this is EXACTLY what I was suggesting :):

In my opinion there are pros and cons to all of the possible methods so far discussed. How about offering the end user a few choices. E.g. try to use WinRE.wim and if it can't be located (or perhaps doesn't work - e.g. if an OEM has ****** it up) then (try and) download the ADK wim.

Plan A, and if this fails, Plan B. (and having a plan C around is not at all a bad idea ;))

:duff:
Wonko

#54 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

I confirm that WinRE is available, both on my current Surface, and my 32/64 bit virgin VMs. This is a hopeful development!

Can anybody share any newb-level instructions to create a new boot menu entry, booting from this WinRE instance? Something that I could type out with bcdedit, and also do programmatically?

I want to drop to the command line there first; and run my software manually - to check that all APIs I consume are available there, before investing further in the WinRE effort. If all that checks out, there'll still be a lot of significant development effort - such as in-place customizing a custom WIM file, mounting hidden partitions, etc. - but at least, it would be a solid roadmap that is available everywhere 100% :)

#55 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Can anybody share any newb-level instructions to create a new boot menu entry, booting from this WinRE instance? Something that I could type out with bcdedit, and also do programmatically?

Broken google? :dubbio:

http://windowsitpro....vironment-pe-an

http://www.thecomput...al.com/bcdedit/

As said, the WinRE environment is a form of WinPE, so instructions/tutorials for adding a WinPE should normally work fine for a WinRE as well, like (already mentioned):

http://diddy.boot-land.net/bcdedit/

http://diddy.boot-la...ples1.htm#winpe

Some good hints were given by Misty in some of the posts you overlooked while under the effects of the substance:

http://reboot.pro/to...es/#entry185177

http://reboot.pro/to...ssues/?p=185179

I've not compared md5 checksums, however based on the file size and timestamp I would take an educated guess and state that the boot.wim created on the USB stick when running recoverydrive.exe is in fact a renamed WinRE.wim.

This may also be of use, to understand the differences in WinRE between Vista and 7 vs. 8/8.1:

http://www.sepago.de...nt-re-explained

Wonko

#56 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

So tried the WIM file approach...took a copy of the WIM from my hidden partition, mounted it and added my tool inside it. Booted into the rescue mode through the Win 8.1 metro gooey options, and there it was, my tool was there. It also ran without apparent issues, so this approach is viable. However, I still have a few problems.

1) I could not boot into this directly from the Windows boot menu after running Misty's scripts. Here's the output with BCDEdit:

www.zipmagic.co/bcdout.txt

Does that look right? My WIM file is located at c:\sources\boot.wim. After running Misty's scripts immediately, and choosing the new item from the boot menu, I would get errors of the sort "file not found", so I just updated the boot location and the place of my WIM file as per the TXT above. Unfortunately, this caused a new problem upon reboot:

2) Trying to boot into this with VMware, I got the following error (before seeing so much as a boot menu):

www.zipmagic.co/vmfault.txt

Never seen that with VMware in more than one decade of using the tool - bravo! :)

I've also got two more forum related questions:

3) Copy-paste does not appear to be working, at least with IE. Is that normal? I tried to sign in with Firefox too, but the screen just dims and I never get any sign in boxes popping up.

4) I have been unable to find how to upload files to attach them to my posts. That is why I've been uploading files to my server and linking to them :)

Solving these would make my time @reboot.pro so much more productive!

#57 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Why don't you get a USB stick and run (as it was hinted several posts ago) driverecovery.exe?
It should produce a valid BCD on the stick (and the stick would or better should be bootable both in BIOS and UEFI modes).
http://reboot.pro/to...ssues/?p=185178
http://reboot.pro/to...t-issues/page-2

Wonko

#58 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Stick no-go. I want my software to be able to run without a stick. I will still be able to consume one, if available, as an Undo Disk. However, my project goal is to be able to run directly from the desktop, after just a single reboot.

#59 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Stick no-go. I want my software to be able to run without a stick. I will still be able to consume one, if available, as an Undo Disk. However, my project goal is to be able to run directly from the desktop, after just a single reboot.

Sure, that is the FINAL goal, what I described was a possible way to see how the BCD is configured by the automatic built-in thingy, so that you can correct/change the BCDEDIT commands and replicate the behaviour so that the BCD works for the GOAL.

Wonko

#60 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

The batch files in post number 24 (here) should work - however they will probably not work on your system unless the paths are edited.

Having taken a quick look at your bcdout.txt, you appear to be using the same guid for your WinPE entry and your ramdisk device.

Assuming that you can actually access your default BCD store without the use of the /store switch (I can't - but that's due to my setup and use of Grub4dos (in it's own active partition)) the only entries that will need editing in my batch files are the path to your .sdi and .wim files -
bcdedit.exe /set %ramdisk% ramdisksdidevice boot
bcdedit.exe /set %ramdisk% ramdisksdipath \boot\boot.sdi 
and...
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sources\boot.wim,%ramdisk%
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% device ramdisk=[boot]\sources\boot.wim,%ramdisk%
In these examples an assumption is made that \boot.sdi and \sources\boot.wim are in the boot partition - the partition containing your BCD store. The [boot] device can be substituted for hardcoded paths. Note - if you specify your device/path as c: the BCD store will use the guid of the volume currently mounted as c: - this will ensure that the correct device is used irrespective of whether Windows changes the mount point (the drive letter).

For more information about devices\paths - see http://diddy.boot-la...iles/device.htm.

See here for the reason why I manually create a guid for boot.sdi instead of using the default {ramdiskoptions}.

Regards,

Misty

#61 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Trying to boot into this with VMware, I got the following error

I get this at mixing winload.exe and winload.efi.
Can you check again: did you used 'firmware = "efi"' at *.vmx file?

#62 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I did a test using a slightly edited version of the batch I posted earlier in this thread, on the 64-bit Windows 8.1 (Update 1) Enterprise Evaluation installation I'm currently using. Edited batch -
ECHO Creating ramdisksdidevice entry...
for /f "tokens=2 delims={}" %%g in ('bcdedit.exe /create /device') do set ramdisk={%%g} 
bcdedit.exe /set %ramdisk% ramdisksdidevice partition=D:
bcdedit.exe /set %ramdisk% ramdisksdipath \boot\winpe.sdi 
echo.
Echo Adding RAM Boot WinPE entry...
for /f "tokens=2 delims={}" %%g in ('bcdedit.exe /create /application osloader') do set GUID={%%g}
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% systemroot \Windows
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% detecthal Yes
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% winpe Yes
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% osdevice ramdisk=[D:]\boot\winpe.wim,%ramdisk%
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% device ramdisk=[D:]\boot\winpe.wim,%ramdisk%
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% path \windows\system32\winload.exe
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% description "Windows PE (BIOS)"
bcdedit.exe /displayorder %guid% /addlast
echo.
pause
Note the use of ramdisksdidevice partition=D: and ramdisk=[D:]\boot\winpe.wim.

Bizarely this failed to work initially as bcdedit refused to pass the ramdisksdidevice partition= parameter. I retested using the bcdedit that shipped with Windows 7 (SP1) and it worked. I then restored my original BCD store and retested using the Windows 8.1 u1 version of bcdedit and it worked!

In the previous batch I posted the boot device was used - this allows the BCD store (or at least this entry in it) to be used more portably as, providing that the files are on the same volume as the boot files, the same BCD store can be used on multiple systems.

Using a hardcoded path locks the BCD store to a particular device - based (I believe) on the volume guid. One advantage of this is that it allows the BCD store to be copied to a floppy (or virtual floppy) disk to always boot this device (see http://www.multiboot....uk/floppy.html).

After using the above batch file I ran the bcdedit /enum /v command on the BCD store in Windows 8.1 and also from WinPE. The following output will hopefully clarify that although the script specified the D: drive/volume this is just to identify the device so that the correct guid value is saved to the BCD store - the BCD store does not appear to understand drive letters as such, however bcdedit appears to display drive letters to make the entries more understandable - this is my interpretation anyway. Hope this makes sense.

Anyway, the relevant paths when running bcdedit /enum /v in Windows 8.1 -
identifier              {76189235-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
device                  ramdisk=[D:]\boot\winpe.wim,{76189234-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
osdevice                ramdisk=[D:]\boot\winpe.wim,{76189234-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
Now in Windows PE
device                  ramdisk=[E:]\boot\winpe.wim,{76189234-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
osdevice                ramdisk=[E:]\boot\winpe.wim,{76189234-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
Now in Windows PE with the volume containing the \boot\winpe.wim and \boot\winpe.sdi set as hidden NTFS (partition type 17) -
device                  ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume3]\boot\winpe.wim,{76189234-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
osdevice                ramdisk=[\Device\HarddiskVolume3]\boot\winpe.wim,{76189234-0089-11e4-8285-00262df3b126}
Regards,

Misty

#63 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

@Misty

The Windows 8/8.1 have a new switch:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=25596

http://www.911cd.net...ndpost&p=175030

Maybe that was connected with the issue?  :unsure:

Wonko

#64 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Folks, I haven't had a chance to follow up on this thread recently - hoping to get to it soon, been doing some development on the client software side of things.

On that note, today I've run into a new issue; I am issuing the following command:

reagentc.exe /setosimage /path c:\zipmagic.wim /index 1 /target c:\windows

And I'm getting the error "Configuring or modifying the recovery image location is not supported on this PC."

Anyone have any clue about what this means and how to work around it? I'd like to be able to register the DoubleSpace created WIM properly.

#65 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

I've only seen the /Path command used to specify a path and not a file.

#66 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I see, the command seems hardcoded to accept only winre.wim in the given path. I wonder if there's a way to override this, or whether there's underlying APIs to the command that could be directly called.

#67 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

I see, the command seems hardcoded to accept only winre.wim in the given path. I wonder if there's a way to override this, or whether there's underlying APIs to the command that could be directly called.

No, that isn't a path, that is a filename. You point to a folder where the boot image is located ie:

reagentc /setosimage /path r:\recoveryImage /Target w:\windows /Index 1

#68 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

In the example you provide, the command is hardcoded to look for r:\recoveryimage\winre.wim. I wonder if one can change the file the command has been hardcoded to look for through using IOCTLs or other types of calls.

#69 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

In the example you provide, the command is hardcoded to look for r:\recoveryimage\winre.wim. I wonder if one can change the file the command has been hardcoded to look for through using IOCTLs or other types of calls.

Winre.wim is not located in that directory. You use /setreimage to point to the location of winre.wim.

#70 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

OK, I've had a chance to stabilize the software itself over the past week, ready to look at this again now.

@Trip: Well, I tried that parameter - and got the output below (yaaay I can finally paste - that took long enough); so I'm putting this one on ice for the moment.

C:\Users\c>reagentc /setreimage /path c:\ /target c:\windows /index 1
REAGENTC.EXE: Windows RE cannot be placed in the root directory of a volume.

@Misty: Here's the exact batch I used (yaaay I can finally paste - if I could only upload images too now), on a 64 bit BIOS mode VMware install of Windows 8.1 with Update 1:

ECHO Creating ramdisksdidevice entry...
for /f "tokens=2 delims={}" %%g in ('bcdedit.exe /create /device') do set ramdisk={%%g} 
bcdedit.exe /set %ramdisk% ramdisksdidevice partition=R:
bcdedit.exe /set %ramdisk% ramdisksdipath \recovery\windowsre\boot.sdi 
echo.
Echo Adding RAM Boot WinPE entry...
for /f "tokens=2 delims={}" %%g in ('bcdedit.exe /create /application osloader') do set GUID={%%g}
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% systemroot \Windows
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% detecthal Yes
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% winpe Yes
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% osdevice ramdisk=[R:]\recovery\windowsre\winpe.wim,%ramdisk%
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% device ramdisk=[R:]\recovery\windowsre\winpe.wim,%ramdisk%
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% path \windows\system32\winload.exe
bcdedit.exe /set %GUID% description "Windows PE (BIOS)"
bcdedit.exe /displayorder %guid% /addlast
echo.
pause

I had assigned the drive letter R: to the recovery partition previously with diskpart. And \recovery\windowsre\ is where the dough is at, on the VM at least. Below's the bcdedit /enum /v:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=R:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
integrityservices       Enable
default                 {ebf50045-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
resumeobject            {ebf50044-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
displayorder            {ebf50045-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
                        {ebf50049-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {ebf50045-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 8.1
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence        {ebf50046-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
integrityservices       Enable
recoveryenabled         Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {ebf50044-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
nx                      OptIn
bootmenupolicy          Standard

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {ebf50049-2dfc-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
device                  ramdisk=[R:]\recovery\windowsre\winpe.wim,{ebf50048-2dfc
-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
path                    \windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows PE (BIOS)
osdevice                ramdisk=[R:]\recovery\windowsre\winpe.wim,{ebf50048-2dfc
-11e3-989e-9fdd3899dfcb}
systemroot              \Windows
detecthal               Yes
winpe                   Yes

Here's the boot error (no VMware error, but a black Windows error screen):

Windows Boot Manager | Windows failed to start...

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

(Would have loved to attach a direct VM screenshot, but need to figure how to upload files first).

So, still no joy.

@Wonko: More bad news for the WinRE reuse idea comes from, maybe you guessed it, the Surface Pro front. I assigned partition letter R to my recovery partition using diskpart, and here's what I get on the command line:

C:\Users\c>chkdsk r:
The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

C:\Users\c>r:
The device is not ready.

C:\Windows\System32\Recovery\reagent.xml makes it clear that this is the right partition:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

<WindowsRE version="2.0">
  <WinreBCD id="{f8db333a-6f15-11e3-9c00-281878d8fc61}"/>
  <WinreLocation path="\Recovery\WindowsRE" id="0" offset="1048576" guid="{f34ab2f8-14cb-4329-b960-29ac0ac5a0c0}"/>
  <ImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>
  <PBRImageLocation path="\RecoveryImage" id="0" offset="57941164032" guid="{f34ab2f8-14cb-4329-b960-29ac0ac5a0c0}" index="1"/>
  <PBRCustomImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/>
  <InstallState state="1"/>
  <OsInstallAvailable state="1"/>
  <CustomImageAvailable state="0"/>
  <IsAutoRepairOn state="1"/>
  <WinREStaged state="0"/>
  <OperationParam path=""/>
  <OsBuildVersion path="9600.16384.amd64fre.winblue_rtm.130821-1623"/>
  <OemTool state="0"/>
  <IsServer state="0"/>
  <DownlevelWinreLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>
  <ScheduledOperation state="5"/>
</WindowsRE>

There's also a few more potential issues that occur to me:

a ) Assume we can work around the above issue (need to figure out how). Otherwise, no-go.

b ) Do we know whether, when Windows 8.1 Update 1 is installed, the WinRE environment also gets updated to Windows 8.1 Update 1 with the WoF driver for WIMBoot? Otherwise, again, this is a no-go type situation.

Edited by simonking, 07 July 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#71 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

@cdob: Only experimenting with BIOS VMware's for now. I did fix up the references to winload in the UEFI version of the batch files, but haven't yet had a chance to test them out on a VM. Currently falling back to my Surface's UEFI environment for this test.

#72 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

@simonking

I have lost track of what you are experimenting/doing quite a bit of time ago.

I have NO idea how your Surface Pro is setup, how the partitions are made on it, what partition type the recovery partition is, etc., etc. , my crystal ball is also (again) in the shop for maintenance/tuning  :( and I have really no way to understand what is the situation.

As a rule of thumb, when Misty writes something, it is usually accurate :), so if you cannot reproduce what he did, there must be some kind of issue in the way you changed his set of instructions.

Try re-doing EXACTLY (which means WITHOUT introducing changes of ANY kind) what he posted, first.

Wonko

#73 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Wonko, just don't get involved and speak on behalf of others, especially when you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

You're clearly not an experienced software developer - only non-developers or non-professional developers have this attitude of "Well, duh, it worked on *my* machine..."

You had a nice idea, I tried it out, it didn't work - deal with it. You're not going to be always right, especially in Microsoft's world of incredibly complex and buggy software. You can go crazy and accuse people of being retards all you want, this just shows that you're not nearly as knowledgeable as you think. Don't dare lecture me on an OS you don't even use.

#74 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Well, it's your problem not mine.

The idea (which was also not at all mine) seemingly worked for Misty, so the problem seems to be - besides with your gratuitously rude attitude towards me - and this after all the help/assistance I tried providing you with and that you asked me for - with a PEBCAK.

You asked my attention, and I suggested you a way to exclude such PEBCAK, or - more generally - the proper way to troubleshoot an issue while experimenting, you are of course free to not follow the given suggestion :)  , but there is no need to start badmouthing me.

Of course I am not an experienced software developer (mainly because I am not at all a software developer, let alone a professional one) and never pretended to be one, still I can well lecture a lot of people and without any doubt someone that shows to such a great extent his ignorance on these themes like you did and still do, on the working of an OS.

And BTW I feel free to do so every time I will feel like it, notwithstanding your vaguely menacing "Don't dare", if you have any issue with any of my posts or their contents just use the Report button and a Mod or Admin will take care of your report.

Wonko

#75 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

I've launched a project on freelancer for the VHD boot requirements:

https://www.freelanc...ot-Windows.html

I welcome all bids on the project. Please feel free to forward to parties who might be interested :)

Edited by simonking, 08 July 2014 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users