#1 szubi

szubi
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

Hello!
First of all - I've found Mike's "The Fiddler" site about 3 years ago. Following info he provided I successfuly installed mini win and played with stripping it more down ;-)
Mike, Your idea is great :-)
But i've changed my interests into Win CE - and it was a mistake.
After years I wanted to get back into "poor man's embedded win box".
I've installed and customized mini98 just to meet my requirements and nothing more ;-)
As a shell I'm using GO light - I like the idea of keyboard shortcuts very much.
And here is my problem:
I need it to run 2 or 3 old communication programs. They use RS232 port.
On a relatively slow machine (HP e-pc Celeron 633, which was my "development box") it's nearly OK - everything works fine untill execution of a restart command (!restart in Go), after that no program can open com port.
On a faster machine (PIV 2GHz) and the same installation - opening COM port is impossible even after hard restart.

Any ideas where to look?

Thank a lot.

Szubi

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

Can you try with another program to use the r2232 port?

Is the RS232 port on the motherboard or external as PCI ?

Can you acess RS232 from a DOS program?

Just in case - you could also try a third machine to see if the results from the last machine are also repeated and perhaps add a few more informations for a good diagnostic of this issue.. :P

#3 szubi

szubi
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for Your reply :P
Some additional info:
- tested it on 4 machines, 3 comps failed. The only one that passed was a PII (dont remember the clock), the others were PIV > 1,6GHz
- tried to make the test comparable, every machine had a COM port on a mainboard, set up in BIOS for COM1: (not AUTO), the 2nd port (if any) disabled in BIOS
- I haven't tested if i can access com port from DOS - will try to do that in now.
- tried to access com port using several programs , ie teraterm. I think it doesn't matter what a program is trying to communicate through the com port, the problem is somewhere in win drivers, but still no idea :P
As i said in my previos post, the com port is also inaccesible on my dev box after restart command in Go - it invokes the command:
rundll.exe user.exe, ExitWindowsExec - the same, as You restart windows while holding down the shift key.

More test results in ca 30 minutes

szubi

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Since you're using Win9x - it might be a good way to gain acess to the port bypassing win drivers - wich coding language are you using?

In the below link, an author also mentions the differences when using DOS, Win9x and faster machines when controlling the timing on RS232 / Com1 port - there are differences and he mentions his steps and sucess. (search "athlon" to jump to where he mentions this)

http://www.veg.nildr...o.uk/remote.htm

Under DOS it might work just fine, even today I've found a small delphi snippet on this site:
http://www.vclcompon..._Communications

That allowed to identify and detect the available COM ports on the machine under win9x (XP?) without resorting to winAPI, the source is available and it's freeware. Unfortunatelly the site seemed to crash while browsing it - You can find looking from section 1 to 9 (sorry for not giving a direct link)

Some other snippets for delphi while the site was online:
http://www.vclcompon...omDrv-info.html
http://www.vclcompon...ntrol-info.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users