•  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Posted Image

File Name: Register Tool
File Submitter: homes32
File Submitted: 16 Aug 2011
File Category: Tools

Here is a small too I made for registering and unregistering ActiveX and COM controls. Unlike similar tools out there this one was specifically designed to be "so simple, a cave man could do it"
It is targeted at simi/non-computer literate users and/or users that need simple easy to use register/unregister support.

Unlike RegSvr32.exe included with windows RegTool features a drag n' drop interface and a file chooser to make registration easy. for those who need or prefer command line options are also available.
RegTool registers files directly using the Windows API so it is not dependent on RegSvr32.exe although if you wish you can use the -p flag to force RegTool to use RegSvr32.exe tp register/unregister files.

RegTool is used it for (re)registering ActiveX controls on misbehaving applications as well as troubleshooting app scripts for WinPE
alot of VB6 programs are dependent on various controls (ex. Malwarebytes). various windows components also sometimes need to be re-registered if something gets borked.
It is simple and easy enough that I can easily talk an "technologically challenged" employee at a remote location how to use it over the phone.

Power users wanting more control, including a list of currently registered controls should check out Nirsoft's excellent RegDllView tool.

x86 and x64 versions available.

Posted Image

Click here to download this file

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Unlike similar tools out there this one was specifically designed to be "so simple, a cave man could do it"
It is targeted at simi/non-computer literate users and/or users that need simple easy to use register/unregister support.

Hmm. :dubbio:
Spoiler

I guess it could be further simplified :w00t: by having a single "target" that will unregister anything dropped to it (if already registered) or register it (if it is not already registered).

Well, at least this is what a caveman would appreciate.

Nice work! :thumbup:

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

Well, at least this is what a caveman would appreciate.

especially if they were an uneducated caveman and couldn't read REGISTER and UNREGISTER! :smiling9:

#4 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Windows Security, Programming, Customizing & Crash Dump Analysis.
  •  
    Canada

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

I seem to be finding all sorts of simple yet great ideas here that I never thought of. Developing for the average computer user. I guess that's my new approach for future projects. Making things simpler for others.

Thanks for sharing this, I know at least the process of registering dll's can take valuable time if you're trying to accomplish a certain task quickly.

#5 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

I seem to be finding all sorts of simple yet great ideas here that I never thought of. Developing for the average computer user. I guess that's my new approach for future projects. Making things simpler for others.

Thanks for sharing this, I know at least the process of registering dll's can take valuable time if you're trying to accomplish a certain task quickly.

yeah. that was my motivation for this project. I'm an IT manager and I needed a quick and simple way to talk someone through registering a file over the phone and remote access wasn't available at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users