#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:05 AM

Well, after telling me what I imagined (and telling me how I was not original), you are now telling me how to make my experiments? :dubbio:

Rest assured that should I ever need to use Wims/Wimboot/WimcompressWimbootcompress technologies I will ask for your advice.

Right now my ideas (that remain mine and that I have perfectly clear in my BTW perverted mind) do not include Wims/Wimboot/WimcompressWimbootcompress, nor they will likely be involved in the foreseable future, we'll see.

However this needs to be debunked, right now and right here:

Even if it could be builded, and booted fine, it doesn't sound very useful as all is linked to a local install, and it will be tight to it, AFAIK Symlinks only can use relative paths on same drive, and to a different drive it has to be an absolute path then it seems to me it will not be portable, also when booting on another PC new letters are assigned to the drives, and depending on partitions layout, as an example the logical partitions get first letters before primary partitions. 

deciding which volume gets which drive letter is doable pre-booting.

And the automatic drive letter assignment built-in in Windows follows a set of rules, which BTW are the exact opposite of what you stated, primary partitions normally get assigned a drive letter BEFORE logical volumes (not partitions), the rules are here and never changed AFAIK (surely not up to 7/8/8.1, maybe in 10?):

http://web.archive.o...ft.com/kb/93373

http://www.dewassoc....riveletters.htm

In a nutshell:

The following are the basic disk drive letter assignment rules for Windows 2000:

• Scan all fixed hard disks as they are enumerated, assign drive letters starting with any active primary partitions (if there is one), otherwise, scan the first primary partition on each drive. Assign next available letter starting with C:
  • Repeat scan for all fixed hard disks and removable (JAZ, MO) disks and assign drive letters to all logical drives in an extended partition, or the removable disk(s) as enumerated. Assign next available letter starting with C:
  • Finally, repeat scan for all fixed hard disk drives, and assign drive letters to all remaining primary partitions. Assign next available letter starting with C:
  • Floppy drives. Assign letter starting with A:
  • CD-ROM drives. Assign next available letter starting with D:

:duff:

Wonko

#27 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:04 AM

I do not pretend to tell you how to deal with your "sueño guajiro", I was only suggesting to use WimbootCompress.ini as a guide in your experiments (to make things easier), and in that case also suggesting a possible procedure wich by the way seems to my it can be made and has good chances to boot.  But as any suggestions it is your decision to use them or not.

About the letter assignment, HDD is MBR partitioned, and this is partitions list:

1. Frist primary active partition (XP).
  2. Second primary partition (Win7x64).
  3. Frist logical partition (Win10x64).
  4. Second logical partition (Juegos XP).
  5. Third logical partition (Juegos Win7).
  6. Fourth logical partition (Respaldos).
  7. Fifth logical partition (Varios).

Plese take a look to the attached pictures that demostrate what I said on my previous post. It is very notorious Win7x64 always gets the last letter (excluding X: if exists) being second primary partition. and Win10x64 always gets one of the first letters being the first logical partition.

alacran

Attached Files

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:36 AM

Again, there is a "built-in" way to assign drive letters to volumes (AGAIN NOT partitions[1]) BUT this can be manipulated at will by changing Registry values.

Let's see how the rules I posted play:

Scan all fixed hard disks as they are enumerated, assign drive letters starting with any active primary partitions (if there is one), otherwise, scan the first primary partition on each drive. Assign next available letter starting with C:

a. 1 is an (active) primary partition (or anyway the first primary partition), gets first drive letter -> C:

Repeat scan for all fixed hard disks and removable (JAZ, MO) disks and assign drive letters to all logical drives in an extended partition, or the removable disk(s) as enumerated. Assign next available letter starting with C:

b. 2 is skipped (second primary partition on same - first - disk)
c. 3 is first logical partition volume (inside extended partition), gets next drive letter -> D:
d. 4 is next (second) logical volume (inside extended partition), gets next drive letter -> E:
e. 5 is next (third) logical volume (inside extended partition), gets next drive letter -> F:
f. 6 is next (fourth) logical volume (inside extended partition), gets next drive letter -> G:

g 7 is next (fifth) logical volume  (inside extended partition), gets next drive letter -> H:

Finally, repeat scan for all fixed hard disk drives, and assign drive letters to all remaining primary partitions. Assign next available letter starting with C:

h 2 (second primary partition on same disk), gets next drive letter -> I:

Q.E.D.

Simplified, the first primary partition on each disk drive (i.e. several primary partitions if more than one disk drive is connected) get drive letter first, subsequent primary partitions on a same disk get drive letters only after all logical volumes on all disks have been assigned a letter.

Very likely originally related to the fact that before NT the common partitioning tool of the time (FDISK) only allowed a single primary and a single extended partition (containing as many logical volumes you wanted), i.e. not more than one single primary partition (and one single extended) per disk drive.

If you prefer, primary partitions beyond the first one were a later addition.

:duff:

Wonko

[1] particularly a primary partition essentially is also a volume, whilst a logical partition is a container for volumes.

#29 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

BUT this can be manipulated at will by changing Registry values.

Then as you have the letter assignment solved, and also you don't like my suggestions, I don't have anymore to say about this subject.

I wish you good luck with your "sueño guajiro" my friend.

alacran

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users