gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Hi All!

I am trying to build LiveXP where apps were on some network share. Is there some solution to make script for making some network share where apps will be but shortcuts from Start Menu and from Desktop will be functional with starting over the network?

For me, it is very logic to make regullar LiveXP ISO with option "Boot from CD" for every application, and latter extract from ISO all off apps to some network share. But how to make automatic share (map for example W: drive as some share) when LiveXP starts and what gone be with shortcuts when apps are moved out from ISO?

Thanx in advice.

Edited by gnikolic, 24 December 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Hi gnikolic, I got your message ;)

What you describe is too complicated and unnecessary. Why not just launch portable app's from a mapped network drive?

#3 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi Amalux!

Thanx for replaying!

I tried to make like I describe but unfortynetly I didnt get much... :)

How to force all apps to "Run from RAM"? Is it good idea to make build with every app to "Run from RAM" and move it out from WIM? For me it sounds Ok to make build, move out all apps from WIM and ISO (WIM should be smaller) to some network share and import some app for portable apps.

Is it good idea or you have some other, better idea?

Best regards,

GNikolic.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

The problem with "make build, move out all apps from WIM and ISO (WIM should be smaller) to some network share" is that your registry will be all screwed up, looking for files in locations that no longer exist. Are you familiar with ppApps and how they work? Esentially doing exactly what you want but in the proper way because registry entries are created dynamically, pointing to the application files on the mapped drive or any other external or internal location. Running from RAM is great, there are many advantages including performance and stability. One likely bottleneck is going to be your network. If your network speed is slow or buggy, programs are going to hang or even crash waiting for files to transfer from the network drive. Other options, like running programs from an internal/external (USB) drive might serve your needs better.

#5 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Will try in this weekend.

Thanx. Will report...

#6 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hi Amalux again.

Busy too at work...

I read all (what had found on reboot.pro) texts regarding Portable Apps. Understand how to import portable applications in some archive executable but how to import existing apps which are not portable?

Thanx in support.

#7 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

... how to import existing apps which are not portable?

This becomes a game of words :) If you have a program installed, then you remove eveything that makes that program work to a remote location in order to run the program from there, that's called a ppApps portable program. There are basically, two types of ppApps, ones that import everything back to the PE when needed to run from RAM and those that keep their files off the PE and run from where they're launched, say a UFD or external drive. It sounds like you want the latter type but maybe I'm missing something. What is the difference between what I describe and what you want?

#8 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

What is the difference between what I describe and what you want?

Well, I dont know what is the difference... :)

I am thinking to make something same as Hirens (I know it is illegal but saying for example) but sligly different.

LiveXP is customizable but I want to place all applications on some share. Understand solution with portable applications and PPApps but LiveXP have some great tools inside scripts. Because of that I am asking for solution...

Or is it better to make portable every application like Hirens...?

Question, not statement... :)

Best regard,

GNikolic.

#9 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure what you want; I'm not sure you do either :)

Don't get me wrong, I like talking about this stuff and I'm happy to help you figure it out but ultimately, you must decide what direction to go. I can tell you my preference is to have a lite boot disc with just the basic tools I need all the time and programs like Acronis that can't be added as portable later. That way the PE is fast booting and not bloated but you can add portables anytime you want, either from another drive, UFD or added to the PE image with an ISO editor. I don't like the idea of running portables from a network share because of the performance hit and because I see no advantage but it's doable if that's what you want. I guess you could launch portables from Hirens but this is not a project I'm intimately familiar with or care to research ATM. LiveXP and Win7PE are the only PE's I've used for years and they suit my needs quite well.

#10 gnikolic

gnikolic

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 112 posts
  •  
    Serbia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

is to have a lite boot disc with just the basic tools I need all the time and programs like Acronis that can't be added as portable later.

That is like what I want... :) Very small LiveXP with mass storage drivers (ONLY) and everything else on some share or USB as portable or standalone application. Thinking it is better to use share because my collegues and I will not bother with USBs but only to boot from network ultra small LiveXP and to start everything as portable or standalone application via that same network on same share or some other share...

It isnt too difficult to build ultra small LiveXP and I will do it in next 2 hours (because of the job) but the problem is to find the best way to use applications. Portable or standalone?

Now I got idea to extract all standalone applications from builded ISO, to pack every app form Program Files folder to separate EXE (SFX RAR file or something simmilar) file, to make batch for every application which will copy that separate archive file from network to RAM disk, extract it and start it from RAM disk. Is it something stinks or is it bad idea?   :)

Thanx and best regards.

#11 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

That is like what I want... :) Very small LiveXP with mass storage drivers (ONLY)

I think you meant "mass storage drivers and network drivers (ONLY)".

Is it something stinks or is it bad idea?   :)

In my opinion, using a PE for just any old program is not really appropriate; it's not what PE was designed for: Pre-installation Environment.

There is also the challenge that a program has every right to refuse to run from a network share or within a PE.  You'd have to struggle to force such programs to work.

Would you consider using a very small, non-PE environment?  Such an environment can still be RAM-disk-based.

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Not in any way taking away from Sha0's suggestion, I'm curious what he suggests, but to continue original idea of a lite LiveXP (or Win7PE) utilizing portables; this is how I do it now and it works fine. There are hundreds of great, useful programs I use from PE as portables running from another location and it's rare these programs won't run as good or better from PE as they would in Windows. It just takes some creative preparation in the portable (ppApps) setup. Most pre-setup for the portable to run in PE should be done in the SFX, WinRar has excellent options for this.

Sometimes a script needs to run independently of the SFX to get things ready in PE. You just need to have a writable temp in your PE and a mechanism for launching pre-setup scripts (if required) and for creating shortcuts to the portables (unless your using a stand-alone launcher) when the PE boots. If you've read my tutorial you know my preference there; ppAppsGen script does all this and more. PE as described here, no longer means 'Preinstallation Environment' (only); more like a Rescue Environment or portable OS to use in lieu of a damaged or compromised Windows Environment.

• wimb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users