#1 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:08 PM

Anyone does know why The CD Forum is off-line since 1 year (or more) ?

Any mirror ? Or any link to understand why the forum was closed (if this was the reason)?

:cheers: 

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:59 AM

I've talked with Ed (the last administrator) some months ago about this topic, it seems the server was discontinued by the owners.

About three years ago I made a copy of the database, in the meanwhile was looking for it on my archives and couldn't find it. :-(

Thanks for bringing this up. 911cd was one of my favorite forum sites and it is sad to lose the conversations from those years. I have a few more old archives in the attic, can try to look there too.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:19 AM

Yes, it would be great to have it back as a resource, the Wayback Machine has large parts archived but of course it is far from easy to find what one is looking for.

@Ambralivio

JFYI, there was the risk that (for lack of funds) the 911cd would have been shut down, the owner was offered by a Commercial firm (that made some specific software for data backup) some money for the simple ownership of the forum/site.

The agreement was seemingly a big advantage to everyone, the owner would get some money, the forum/site would have been run by the same people, continuing operations as before, the only difference would have been a banner with the advertisements of the new owners company software.

And it worked just fine for - if I recall correctly - two or three years, maybe more.

Then, suddenly the company seemingly folded or however people changed and all the people the site/forum administrators were in contact with simply disappeared.

Unfortunately noone noticed for several months, until problems with the site database surfaced, and the (late) attempts to contact the owner failed, we never got any response.

Nothing new under the sun, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes ... :(

:duff:

Wonko

#4 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

About three years ago I made a copy of the database, in the meanwhile was looking for it on my archives and couldn't find it. :-(

Thanks for bringing this up. 911cd was one of my favorite forum sites and it is sad to lose the conversations from those years. I have a few more old archives in the attic, can try to look there too.

@ Nuno,

it should be really nice of you and a helpful thing too, if you could share your old archives or (better) the last you didn't find !

Often, using the Wayback Machine search is the only available option for this task but , as you know, only if you already know the page address of interest...

Yes, it would be great to have it back as a resource, the Wayback Machine has large parts archived but of course it is far from easy to find what one is looking for.

@ Wonko,

thanks for the info. It's a real pity, as I was also  a registered member there... 

#5 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

And that's exactly the issue of a company owning a site that is primarily a forum: If the company goes under then the forum is gone too, unless someone salvages it. Forums should generally be community-owned/operated.

#6 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

And that's exactly the issue of a company owning a site that is primarily a forum: If the company goes under then the forum is gone too, unless someone salvages it. Forums should generally be community-owned/operated.

@IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe
Whilst I agree with the sentiment that Forums should (ideally) be community-owned and operated, the reality is that there are cost implications that most members are either oblivious to, or ignore. How much for example does it cost to keep reboot.pro running? And who pays for the privilidge? And would the community fund this site if it was at risk?

I'm assuming here that Nuno still funds the site - please correct me if I'm wrong. Nuno is a very generous guy and has been very generous in regards to hosting subdomains in the past. I have leeched from him for years - using boot-land.net and reboot.pro for hosting purposes for my own work. Initially this was out of ignorance of the costs, however now that I'm more aware of hosting costs after having to fund my own hosting, I unfortunately have little spare cash to contribute.

It's sad as a former member of the 911cd forum to see the site, and my work, lost. I would hate even more for a similar thing to happen here on reboot - I forum that I migrated too after Nuno kindly offered hosting many years ago (if memory serves this was after I asked about a reliable place to upload a BartPE plugin on the 911cd forum!).

Nuno, on a very serious note, what are the running costs for this site? I don't have much, but I genuinely would like to contribute.

Kind regards,

Misty/Diddy
  • ambralivio likes this

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

This forum is balanced from budget perspective, ads running on the site are enough for the server costs. The ad revenue has been lowering, and fortunately the hosting costs have also been lowering hosting. At the beginning back in 2005 was really expensive to keep a server running.

Even it wouldn't be possible to rent a server, I'd likely be hosting the site directly from my home server (it is slower, has no monthly costs). For me would be great if both google (the ad provider) and the server company could both work directly with some virtual currency or account (e.g. paypal). This way even with me out of the picture due to some accident, there would be an automatic way to keep the server running ad eternum.

We are well served with trusted administrators to keep the machine running. We have good forum moderators so that spam is dealt swiftly, sometimes spammers aren't caught fast enough in due time and then get traumatizing treatment by Wonko & company.

Would be difficult to guess the future. I'm putting my hopes on https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs

Especially because of forum software running on top of IPFS such as http://boards.ydns.eu/

This would mean a permanently running board that would keep running even if the domain name and central server go away.

#8 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

well, i have my .net domain over  selfhost.de in my basement and the domainname/ip it is handled by fritzbox
and i pay in year ~25 Euro for Domain and dyndns on my Fritzbox but the the electricity cost's it is not less, so,
what a actual computer need's, and by side, my 25MBit down 100kb up it is good enough for a forum or something..,
the upload it is very fast from client side, but the download on client side with 100kb it's is just a double modem speed :\
by unitymedia(kabelbw) with 30€ per month because telephone and Internet it is a basic need,
but a 400mbit it is not *s* for less money have i am a space/domain by a provider ..

well and for a fast download have i am an Webprovider, where makes telephone support, but sometimes really bad to connect to the support, but he is very cheep for the space what there is and it is really  reliable what i can say by the last more as 10 years ..,
he works with glowfish together and have a bigger contingent and therefore can he make a better price all-inclusive-webspace.de if we read on left side, 30% less on all wspackets and we see the price on top of the offer's so be the by 150GB with 2,91 -30% on year really cheep if you connect this provider, would be nice to tell him, you come from blackysgate :)

so it is not bad to have there a download server on the net and a backup server at home with linux and selfadministration.. ( i use OpenMandriva 3.03 at moment on my net) because, download with 25mbit as rsync it's really okey and i have 4 tb harddisk where it is all store.. and an normal intel i5 in energy save modus  also as nextcloudserver and sftp/ssh possibility .

therewith it is with rsync all really save and saved at home and on time to time make i am an backup of all data's on a portable disk
and therewith have i am all what's it is need..
and i make all without advertising and popups.

this so far from me as hard counting and numbers .. :)
so 30 Euros on the net-flatrate +telephone per month ,
Dyndns ~22 per year
the computer electricity is like a Aquarium *s* at basement and heat too*vbg*,
Webspace in year ~25 Euro's  with 150 Gig's and many possibilitys !

How looks on your internet things, Nuno if i may ask ?

or the others, how make you are it, a small comparison would certainly not
be bad to give each other tips..

best regards
Blacky

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

On my side I've got a Synology DS115j earlier this year, costing some 70 EUR at Saturn (a German electronics retailer) plus a 4Tb drive to go along: https://www.synology...products/DS115j

The area where I live isn't exactly safe, so about a year I got a set of WIFI cameras and the recordings are stored on this synology machine. IP cameras are really cheap right now. Not only they have wireless, they also come with builtin night vision and cost about 20~35 EUR per device: http://www.dx.com/p/...-eu-plug-478092

On my side wouldn't host the forum at home because:

• the whole home network could be compromised when there is a bridge
  • the internet provider stops working every now and then
  • the synology machine could get broken (or stolen) suddenly
  • not easy to administer this machine outside the home network
  • tens of thousands access the site per day, everyone would suffer when my kids watch youtube

An external server dedicated just for that purpose works good.

#10 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:16 AM

just out of curiosity, how big is the reboot database now?

#11 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:32 AM

The demise of sites like 911cd.net is exactly why you need someone to mirror it *before* it goes down. Although I wouldn't consider it since I'm not a member there, disk space is also a consideration. And mirrors can get really big really fast, depending on the site. I'm currently mirroring just the AMD64 wiki portion of gentoo.org (which is just a part, and only a subdomain), thusfar it's 10GB and still not finished after 2 consecutive days (no throttling, full speed ahead).

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

just out of curiosity, how big is the reboot database now?

The MySQL dump is about 2 Gb in size.

#13 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

The demise of sites like 911cd.net is exactly why you need someone to mirror it *before* it goes down. Although I wouldn't consider it since I'm not a member there, disk space is also a consideration. And mirrors can get really big really fast, depending on the site. I'm currently mirroring just the AMD64 wiki portion of gentoo.org (which is just a part, and only a subdomain), thusfar it's 10GB and still not finished after 2 consecutive days (no throttling, full speed ahead).

not just 911cd.net and the huge amount of knowledge that was lost, but also even older sites like the ubcd4win forums when Ben disappeared. even though the primary focus there was BartPE which as been defunct for years there was still mountains of information, tools, still relivent to todays winbuilder/pebakery/LiveSystemPro/wimb's Make_PE3/etc as well as a great community that are lost. :(

• Brito likes this

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

I have good news!

Was cleaning up some old hardware and looking on the files inside. In one of the laptops I have found a backup of the MySQL 911cd.net forum conversations.

Made a few copies more just to make sure it does not get lost again. Instead of a single MySQL file is a set of files, so each one needs to be loaded manually. I would need to find an older version of the forum that can read this data. The good news is that theoretically we can bring back 911cd.net online in read-only mode so that our conversations don't get lost.

Now need to find some free time for getting this done. :cheers:

• Blackcrack likes this

#15 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:09 PM

Burning CD + take a small notebook harddisk(not a ssd!) + an SD-Card + an usb-stick,
then in a treasure chest and then push under the bed, i guess, then be saved good enough ? *giggle*
can you maybe bring up this domain again.. and the forum ? i have try to connect 911cd but timeout.
relaunch it .. :) or maybe direct by Reboot.pro/911cd for save the domain costs

best regards
Blacky
  • Brito likes this

#16 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:15 PM

Easiest route is a folder.

Ideal would be to convert the complete forum into static HTML pages. That way we would get rid of maintaining a MySQL instance and remove potential risks such as leaking the emails stored inside.

This would also permit more people to host a separate copy so we don't lose these archives ever again.
  • ambralivio likes this

#17 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 195 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

Was cleaning up some old hardware and looking on the files inside. In one of the laptops I have found a backup of the MySQL 911cd.net forum conversations.

Now need to find some free time for getting this done. :cheers:

This is a very great news!!!

@ Nuno,

Waiting for a future internal solution (as per your last post), do yo think possible to have available the single MySQL files in some way?

Or, in other words, can they be shared?

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:27 PM

This is a very great news!!!

@ Nuno,

Waiting for a future internal solution (as per your last post), do yo think possible to have available the single MySQL files in some way?

Or, in other words, can they be shared?

These are very good news indeed :)

But no, the mySQL database shouldn't and cannot be shared.

Two reasons:

1) it may contain "sensitive" data, like e-mails of members, their passwords (hashed), their private messages.

2) it wouldn't be anyway of much use without the scripts (php or other language) that can re-assemble it.

If Nuno has the time, he should have a full IP board software of the "right" version, he could re-assemble the board, put it online (privately) and then use httrack or similar to archive the (dynamic) site to a static version, a number of internal links might well go beserk anyway, but it would be anyway 99% usable as a reference.

It is possible (in theory) to convert to another board software, like (example) discourse:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse

https://meta.discour...discourse/96609

but it is not at all simple and a number of parts can be ignored, if the original software is still available it could be IMHO easier to follow that "archiving"  path instead of a "conversion".

Wonko

#19 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

Wonko is right. The data inside is sensitive (emails, IP addresses, private conversations). Making this data anonymous requires a lot of effort and still brings no guarantee of a complete work.

Still, I will keep looking for a way to make these posts portable and distributable as far as possible.

#20 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:03 AM

create a db and a running mysql, reload the db,
remove the sensitive data and make it more save for the peoples,
(users*=>email's)

create a algorithm for user-placeholders "user1;user2;user3;moderator1;moderator2;andsofar1;andsofar2" and make it anonym.

or let the all in, and make easy the users anonym and remove the real email adresses with fake-mailadresses
alone you have the key.. with the orginal db. but if you do this, take the box under the bed, and
put them in the woods ! .. apropo .. 23

back it up the anonym datas again and share it..
or make again a forum and open it for others, with the anonym users ...
but the information's be stay in the whole single treads .. for reading ....
Mach einfach ein Anonymes Forum daraus, bei dem man bdie anonymen User dessen accounts
einsehen kann und auch die pm's lesen kann..
so können die Namen und Accounts niemandem zugeordnet werden. aber jeder kann es lesen.

Aber da Du dann den Schlüssel hast.. geb ihm jemand anderen, dem Du vertraust.. sich aber wehren kann.
Da Du das hier veröffentlicht hast, daß Du die DB hast,.......also im Besitz ..

best regards
Blacky

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

create a algorithm for user-placeholders "user1;user2;user3;moderator1;moderator2;andsofar1;andsofar2" and make it anonym.

Come on, get real.

You will have threads where:

1) user "Anonymous" asks a question
2) user "Anonymous" replies with a suggestion
3) user "Anonymous" adds a corollary

4) user "Anonymous" posts something completely unrelated
5) user "Anonymous" links to another thread by user "Anonymous" where user "Anonymous" has solved a similar problem that user "Anonymous" had and where user "Anonymous" suggested another possible way out to user "Anonymous"

Additionally, consider how the Authorship of a post is VERY relevant, a post by - say - cdob  :worship: has 99.9999999999% or more exactly 100% +/- 0,00000000001 probabilities of being intelligent, accurate, appropriate and on topic, features that not everyone's contents have.

Wonko

#22 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

it name Anonymous1 and Anonymus2 and maybe a 3rd !
<joke> up to 42 to hold intelligent Design! This is important ! </joke>

or how should it make for separate the Users and the Information's ?
or only remove the mailadresses, to can not specification the users with the mailadresses ?

best

#23 911CD.net

911CD.net

• Advanced user
  • 86 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

Wow!! :happy_dance: Bruno  :yahoo:

I have good news!

• Brito likes this

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Wow!! :happy_dance: Bruno  :yahoo:

Bruno? :w00t:

Maybe you meant Bravo? :unsure:

Or are you suggesting that someone should be burned at the stake? :dubbio:

https://www.thefreed...onary.com/Bruno

Wonko

#25 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

Not a worry for me, already two years ago decided to add a new first name to address that detail: http://nunobrito1981...1/new-name.html

The name change got official some months ago on my passport and has steadily reduced that nuisance in real-world. Maybe in a couple more years won't be called bruno, nino, nano, kuno or juno anymore. I do have an older brother called bruno brito, it is frustrating that even within my own family to also be called bruno with some frequency.. :lol:

• Blackcrack likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users