genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

We have functional AsMedia USB 3.0 !

Wow, was surprised myself and "man" I still don't know what it was.

1. Made and Copied XP.ISO (and winvblock.ima) to USB 2.0 :

- IntegrateDrv:

1a. Intel DMI 2.0 PCIx-PCI driver (microsoft driver copied from XP - I simply checked devmgmt for driver files and copied those with oem inf this also can be done by Intel Server board driver which all in all should be faster and more reliable)

[Unsure if this step is nessessary for AsMedia controller, BUT couldn't get it working on below only]

1b. USB 3.0 drivers (Generic HUB + USB Root HUB + correct XHCI Controller)

1c. Wait4UFD

- Loaned winvblock floppy .ima (thanks to sha0)

2. Every single thing on-board disabled (Z68 board so it has S ATA-2 and S ATA-3 controllers, JMicron IDE controller, all sort of BT's and NICs etc..)

- Disabled every last thing of the board(Everything from Bluetooth to SATA to NIC what ever I could disable) except 2 USB devices:

* AsMedia USB 3.0 (USB 3.0 Legacy Emulation: Enabled)

* Intel USB 2.0 (USB 2.0 Legacy Emulation: Enabled)

* EHCI hand-off disabled

* Both USB Media: USB-HDD / USB-Hard Disk: Forced

3. Booted to USB 2.0 8GB with G4D installed with options:

; <<<<<<<BOOT from USB drive>>>>>>

title Here We come BSOD..  TXT

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /XP.ISO

map --mem /XP.ISO (0xff)

map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map --hook

chainloader (0xff)

boot

title Here We come BSOD..  GUI

map --mem /XP.ISO (0xff)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

boot

title Here We come BSOD..  First Careful identical boot

map (hd1) (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

; <<<<<<<BOOT from VHD at USB drive>>>>>>

title Here We come BSOD..  TXT

map --mem /XP.ISO (0xff)

find --set-root -ignore-floppies /XP-1.VHD && map /XP-1.vhd (hd0)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map --hook

chainloader (0xff)

boot

title Here We come BSOD..  GUI

map --mem /XP.ISO (0xff)

map (hd0) (hd1)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

boot

title Here We come BSOD..  First Careful identical boot

map (hd0) (hd1)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

ERROR NOTE: Because USB 3.0 is still recognized as removable for some odd reason Windows XP will notify you that 'pagefile.sys' cannot be used or missing at GUI mode setup. Ignore this as you won't be using pagefile anyway. However, paging file is still created and in case of my VHD testing it was created to USB you still want to disable it.

4. #:

* Removed USB 2.0

* Re-enabled everything disabled at stage 2 from BIOS back up. (Which seems now booting up just fine even with RAID/AHCI enabled.)

* Direct Booted to USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Few suggestions to original what to disable at first boot:

Further more of 'Wimb' IMG_XP I would advice disabling event viewer and all counters operations(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control <- you will find every single thing in here, but more information on web if you search how to disable counters at web and I think there is even tools made for this) from system, hybernate files (if even created) and everything that could possibly write anything to flash, if you need an RW space for caching anything or writing. I would suggest that you mount ram drive for this purpose and automate the windows internal or 3rd party write-ups there you most likely only need really minor 64-256M ram drive for this purpose (for example read to ram and caching file search would be idea).

5. (general testing schenarios):

* Tested this setup against IMG_XP project by Wimb: Works clean up without registry modifications (unless IntegrateDrv adds some) while integrating drivers.

-VHD has to be at USB 3.0 while XP is installed. There is no way in hell you move it after install to USB 3.0 (I tested this quite a bit 'too much, rofl'). So, just beaware that install it while VHD at USB also for some reason I could not get this working while only 1 USB drive was used had to do exact above from USB 2.0.

@tal.alone

Sorry to hijack the topic for so many posts and that above novel. :)

Edited by genetix, 14 August 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#27 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hmm, have to continue a little bit of failures and sorry for spelling a name incorrectly above.

At new Z68/I5 boards, seems I have to change my mind on VHD / IMG installation it will not work.

Generally I came to misleaded because VHD I mounted was on 2 places.

1. I made the VHD to HD -> copied VHD to USB -> Reboot

2. I then accidentally detected VHD and mounted it from Internal HD (and I understood by speed that I was installing to wrong place)

3. rebooted again and mounted manually from GRUB right USB VHD and it still installed through Textmode and got 0x7B at GUI Mode setup.

Now problem with this is I cannot reproduce the result. There is no way in hell I can install XP to VHD or IMG (I can dump IMG but XP textmode states 'cannot access this disk' which actually is SATA mode used + NTFS not just some random flaw at some hardware suggested by Wimb). Even schenario where I installed clean to USB 3.0 and then dumped IMG out with ImDisk and then mounted that IMG (which seems to be Partition online as RAW IMG) just doesn't wanna boot up even if converted to VHD as Part #0,0.

Few scenarions also failing:

* The 'IMG_XP' or well 'VHD_XP_Create.exe' > VHD to HD -> Install & move to USB 3.0 -> 'USB_XP_Fix.exe' = it will 0x7B clean off no matter what you do. (now oyu can trick this to install from NTFS USB by copying the VHD to HD and USB and reading above, but it still won't work because you never make to the GUI mode install)

* Part. #0,0 FAT, Partition #0,1 (NTFS): VHD OR Install at NTFS Part #0,1 with DiskMod. Now this will fail too. Seems there is no way to teach XP multipartition USB (which honestly is kinda sad).

Original issue on above post:

'DriverPacks' The Chipset package seems to include USB 3.0 drivers which then registered and was incorrectly at XP.ISO (XP Source + DriverPacks + IntegrateDrv with USB 3.0 + Wait4USB). So, considering to install DriverPacks + IntegrateDrv to get USB 3.0 you might wanna reconsider removing any relation to USB 3.0 from DriverPacks before Slipstream.

---

Next pass will be:

1. Part #0,0 NTFS > clean install

2. Part #0,1 FAT32 > actual build in system at USB

However, this is worst scenario nightmare, if I actually have to go to this tomorrow and start reconstructing FAT32 redirected from boot.ini and modifying everysystem with Diskmod to get USB secondary partition visible. Sure hope I can find any other solution to boot from somekind of image/secondary partition at UFD as root most remain FAT32 no matter what the cost is.

Edited by genetix, 17 August 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#28 tal.aloni

tal.aloni

• Developer
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

genetix,

Where you able to boot XP from a UFD connected to USB 3.0 (without a VHD)?

you should start from there.

#29 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

genetix,

Where you able to boot XP from a UFD connected to USB 3.0 (without a VHD)?

you should start from there.

Yes.

* RAW IMG from the bootable USB on my HDD. [which I can at any moment dump back to USB 3.0 and it will boot clean up] *verified with 2 different USB devices*

* Got few builds of VHD from the device directly.

Problem #1:

You cannot mount/map RAW HD image to SD(a)0,0 because grub4dos kinda stupidly detect first available storage system at system available and even, if everything is turned down it still will not map an drive as SD instead it persist to map any container given to it as 'IDE channel'. Which is why I am seeing BSOD 0x7B, if I would for example clone RAW IMG container to VHD and map and boot that.

Problem #2:

If I do try to install the XP at UFD Partition #0,1, it will fail to boot at it's not first partition and haven't ever found a way to actually boot that kinda scenario (although, I think like NT 6.x OSes) it might be possible to build something like this:

title Simply chainloading to second partition as NTFS.
root (hd0,1)
chainloader /ntldr
boot

Current:

I am currently considering the idea of integrating diskmod or what ever I have to to make Setup see USB partition #0,1 (NTFS) Installing XP NTLDR boot to Partition #0,0 FAT32 and OS at partition #0,1 (NTFS).

I think this is the only way to build it. because VHD/IMG/anything else I have try'd simply has not worked out. (exception NTFS at Part #0,0 check single partition USB.

Problem with this plan is diskmod is the most dangerous tool I have ever seen for any operating system. that driver has destroyed probably close to 75 systems of mine by simply installing it, heh. So, kinda against this idea.

Off topic:

Got some new equipment to test today also. So, I don't have to worry if few sticks explodes on the progress beside the idea that I have more devices to work with.USB 2.0 8GB - USB flash x3, USB 3.0 64GB - USB flash x2 + 1x 256GB USB 3,0 drive.

Edited by genetix, 17 August 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

What is "SD(a)0,0"? :dubbio:

grub4dos simply does not have that kind of device.

Devices are:

1. fd 
  2. hd
  3. md
  4. rd
  5. cd

:cheers:

Wonko

#31 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

@Wonko the Sane

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I was mounting image which is created specifically to be booted off from removable media cloned to image file. So, there is no way in hell it will work, if it's mapped to any of those spaces you mentioned above.

@commonly

as for this matter further on, well, I just typed 2-3 pages of information right here right now and then decided it is simply so damn much stuff, I don't wanna post it to this topic. cfadisks(thanks for cdob post) integrations, partitioning strategy, general idea what in theory could work.

It simply is large project and this is simply 1 OS only considering I just went through a lot of operating systems and few hundred tool direct boot in a single location, but I would still like to get this live OS to work someway other than directly at UFD partition #0,0.

--

Main thing here is Basic AsMedia hub/controller > USB 3.0 storage is bootable with Wait4UFD thanks to Tal.Aloni great work which I was asking from this topic and that kinda moves next issue with the project elsewhere.

Edited by genetix, 18 August 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

@Wonko the Sane

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I was mounting image which is created specifically to be booted off from removable media cloned to image file. So, there is no way in hell it will work, if it's mapped to any of those spaces you mentioned above.

Still, I cannot understand the issue.

A grub4dos device is pretty much "agnostic", the issue may be with the BIOS, but you can have a "non partitioned image" (or a partitioned one) mounted to (say) a fd or hd device without issues.

Maybe if (on another thread - in order to leave this thread focised on the nice IntegrateDrv) you could post some details, it would be possible to understand (and hopefully solve) the issue at hand.

:cheers:

Wonko

#33 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

@Wonko

yeh, will do..

I just haven't yet figured out where exactly I would post such topic. Boot Anywhere perhaps or something. Basically I was thinking of posting few things after I get few basics like this one working.

Also dislike this forum's editing capabilities of posts. I used to build some drivers to windows and well fixed few on linux side and I kept 1 post over million views more than 2 years. In here hell you write new post everytime you wanna add / modify original post which just isn't working when you type up singular project with thousands of changes.

If I could edit the topics freely, I would immidiedly actually months ago already start to build grounds for a topic. Pictures, general each OS specified work arounds and tools listing similar to RMPrepUSB which honestly is one of the best information sources of existing information in anywhere at http. 

Edited by genetix, 18 August 2013 - 05:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: usb, boot, windows xp, windows server 2003, usb 3.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users