10 replies to this topic

#1 j0hnx777

j0hnx777
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Okay so I am using Windows Deployment Services and Deployment workbench to create my boot images and task sequences. I have a HP Elitebook 8540w that needs Windows 7 to be reinstalled. I run the Standard Client Task Sequence which is supposed to use the deployment share's scripts and images to reboot the computer and install Windows 7. However, when the computer reboots, I get an error that the Intel NIC Media is not connected and cannot talk to the DHCP server. After I get that message, I get the command prompt with the X:Sources directory. My driver packages were injected into the boot image and I can navigate through them and find the nic drivers it's supposed to use. The DHCP server is up and running and all other laptops are able to access and use it just fine. Really scratching my head on this one, anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate it! Thanks and kind regards - John.

#2 j0hnx777

j0hnx777
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just plugged it in to the network with a physical cable and sure enough it continued with the install. Must be the drivers. I guess I'll be doing some research.

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

You can manually install the drivers using drvload xxx.inf, but I am not sure how you would set the WEP/WPA key???

#4 j0hnx777

j0hnx777
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yeah that's another thing, I guess I didn't even think about automatically setting the WEP/WPA key. I wonder if you did get the drivers to work if you'd have to enter that manually. I haven't seen an option for that in MDT2010 or Windows Deployment Services.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

From memory, I think only Win 7 SP1 PE supports wireless.
I found this http://pcloadletter....g-wifi-support/

#6 j0hnx777

j0hnx777
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

that was a good link, I am downloading windows AIK 3.1 supplement right now. It seems like not a whole lot of people have been able to boot wireless pxe with Windows PE. Should be interesting if I get this working. I'll let you know!

#7 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'll eventually be interested in this also, but I am dreading it TBH. I have seen some netbooks and tablets do not have built-in LAN ports but fortunately I haven't had to eval any of them yet.

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'll eventually be interested in this also, but I am dreading it TBH. I have seen some netbooks and tablets do not have built-in LAN ports but fortunately I haven't had to eval any of them yet.

An easy alternative for these netbooks and tablets is a USB-to-LAN dongle. You always use the same two drivers (x86 or x64), so actually you can use the dongle on any system and never have to worry about having the right LAN driver for every different piece of h/w in the universe!

#9 pazhanii

pazhanii

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

Hai steve6375,
Could you help me? I was trying to boot wireless with ipxe. I have a small foot print xp of 150 mb which I currently boot using iscsi vhd and ipxe in ram. Plz let know the WiFi land card supported by ipxe by default. As I am not expert, cannot add driver as ipxe webpage instructs. Simply want to add ipxe supported WiFi card and boot easily.

Some website says bios should support and Capable of providing usb to lan dongle as boot device. And ipxe people say it doesnt have usb support.

Edited by pazhanii, 07 May 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#10 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

I don't know of any system or card that supports PXE over WiFi. As I said before, you would need to specify the SSID and WEP/WPA key before it could load anything anyway...

#11 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

I don't know of any system or card that supports PXE over WiFi. As I said before, you would need to specify the SSID and WEP/WPA key before it could load anything anyway...

ipxe mentions wireless support.

never tried thus.

a thread here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pxe boot, wireless, not working

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users