#1 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

DoubleSpace 2 is finally here! Included in the latest ZIPmagic 12.78 version download, this is a major version upgrade to DoubleSpace:

Folder Exclusions: Fairly self-explanatory. Some folders (like OneDrive and Google Drive) simply seemed to require this. The installer comes with a built-in list of recommended exclusions. You can also exclude any custom folder you like, this is recommended if it contains files that are frequently updated (since these will waste space both inside your WIM and on-disk). Any excluded folders are automatically processed using DriveSpace (NTFS compression), which is very safe to use on these folders (and recompresses updated files transparently, although at a worse ratio than WIMBoot) – so you know you are completely maximizing your free space.

Clone Operations: You can now use DoubleSpace to actually create and restore system images. You can even restore a system image uncompressed, if that is your intention. This  makes it very easy to move from PC to PC with all your apps, data, and settings intact.

Decompression Operations: You can now uncompress any existing disk (as long as you have enough storage available). When uncompressing, you can even use a past Undo Disk to revert your PC to that state in its entirety as well; or decompress your latest live running system.

Redesigned UI: Message boxes are now more clear; previously hidden user interface elements are accessible; new menu item entries are available for cloning and decompression. Everything remains one-click as before.

Very Large File Support: Files larger than 4 GB are unsupported by WIMBoot, and these files just end up wasting space inside your WIM file (despite many of them being compressible). DoubleSpace now keeps them outside of your WIM, and it again runs DriveSpace on these files to ensure you are getting as much free space as possible on your system.

For more details, please see the recently updated "11 Reasons to use DoubleSpace" page:

www.zipmagic.co/doublespace.html

Please have fun and enjoy!

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hmmm. :dubbio:

http://www.zipmagic....q.html#handmade

What does "community built" mean?

I'm glad you asked.

Today, it is very hard to find any product - including software - that has not been factory built. Factory built products are often defective by design, come from a single mold, and lack the fine attention to detail that a true craftsperson would shower upon her or his product.

Simon King and his friends have poured their love into ZIPmagic - making this a true luxury software product. ZIPmagic is intelligent by design, can be customized to meet the needs of every individual installing it, and contains shell namespace extension technology - a true crown jewel, which our competition has failed to replicate in over a decade.

Additionally, ZIPmagic is built on top of many open source projects by the community - indeed, many of the innovations in ZIPmagic (such as the exciting DoubleSpace) contain technologies which were developed either through collaborative effort at many online forums (such as reboot.pro), or from other open source projects (such as wimlib). So it may indeed be said that ZIPmagic is a true community built product, adorning a technological jewel (the shell namespace extension) with fine craftsmanship from a collaborative peer effort.

A queer way to describe the evolution of Doublespace, which could be summed up as:

Simon King was having some issues in booting 8.1 and he was missing some of the potentialities of Windows 8.x built-in tools, asked for help on the reboot.pro forum, some ideas were provided to him on reboot.pro and he included the provided ideas and the Open Source project wimlib http://sourceforge.n...rojects/wimlib/ (whose Author Sinchronicity also provided suggestions and support) in the DoubleSpace program, closed source, part of the Commercial package ZipMagic and in the still closed source, but freeware WinRE Extractor, released on reboot.pro: http://reboot.pro/topic/20325-updated-winre-extractor/

At least this is what seemingly happened here:
http://reboot.pro/to...fi-boot-issues/

:duff:
Wonko

#3 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Ah yes, wimlib is under GPLv3...

#4 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hmmm. :dubbio:

http://www.zipmagic....q.html#handmade

A queer way to describe the evolution of Doublespace, which could be summed up as:

Wonko

Haha! Looks like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed again this fine AM.

#5 synchronicity

synchronicity

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 165 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:30 PM

wimlib's license as of v1.7.0 allows it to be redistibuted under either the GPLv3 or later or under the LGPLv3 or later.  Simon has chosen the LGPLv3 option so he is within his right to use it in DoubleSpace and redistribute it.

As to the promotional material for ZipMagic and DoubleSpace, I think it contains some amount of puffery, but it's mostly up to Simon to decide how to promote his software.

#6 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

I am all ears if any enterprising readers would like to suggest website text revisions to reduce the puffery and bring everything down to Earth.

Clearly it appears I am incapable of said task in an effort to champion my product :crazyrocker:

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:59 PM

Simon has chosen the LGPLv3 option so he is within his right to use it in DoubleSpace and redistribute it.

Sure :).
My comment was only on the way the (moral only) merits of wimlib :1st: (and the contributions/ideas provided by several members of reboot.pro, included and particularly you) seemed downplayed in the context, as "collaborative effort at many online forums (such as reboot.pro)" and that the "other open source projects (such as wimlib)" reflected not accurately the - say - between 90,00% and 99.99% relevance of wimlib in the working of the program.

As to the promotional material for ZipMagic and DoubleSpace, I think it contains some amount of puffery, but it's mostly up to Simon to decide how to promote his software.

Well, I guess - as you say - that that is part of the game, still one thing is to depict something in an enthusiastic or immodest way another one is to misrepresent  facts.

Wonko

#8 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

All readers who have already installed this version, please be advised of the following zero day fix:

http://www.zipmagic....ic.php?f=1&t=81

This fix pack also expands the default excluded folder list to include Outlook data folders and Windows Search indexing folders. Both of these contain files which are frequently written to, so not-excluding them would only bloat the WIM file and result in a net loss of space.

Of course, DoubleSpace now runs DriveSpace for all excluded folders, so you still get to squeeze your data as tightly as possible on Windows!

Also thank you very much once again synchronicity for your very diligent bug fixes, excellent ideas, and much better compressing WIM library!

Last but not least, thank you very much once again to the entire reboot.pro community for collaborating on the external-USB-disk free approach to WIMBoot'ing, AFAIK only DoubleSpace currently features this technology, which also adds a new unique angle for people trying to clone their systems to new PCs and don't want to deal with manual reboots and fiddling with bootable USB creation/devices.

#9 synchronicity

synchronicity

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 165 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

I think the section about "community built" is subject to some confusion.  It seems that Wonko is reading it as being primarily about DoubleSpace, whereas it seems Simon intended the section as a whole to be about ZipMagic as a whole (of which DoubleSpace is just one part --- and note that ZipMagic uses other open source code as well, such as 7zip).  I can't comment on other parts of ZipMagic as I am not familiar with them, but perhaps everyone would benefit if the parts of DoubleSpace (in particular, the role of wimlib) were explained more clearly.

#10 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Sure :).
My comment was only on the way the (moral only) merits of wimlib :1st: (and the contributions/ideas provided by several members of reboot.pro, included and particularly you) seemed downplayed in the context, as "collaborative effort at many online forums (such as reboot.pro)" and that the "other open source projects (such as wimlib)" reflected not accurately the - say - between 90,00% and 99.99% relevance of wimlib in the working of the program.

Well, I guess - as you say - that that is part of the game, still one thing is to depict something in an enthusiastic or immodest way another one is to misrepresent  facts.

Wonko

Unfortunately your subjective assessment of the situation is - as is typically - almost wholly inaccurate; DoubleSpace is a dual-core engine product which runs with or without WIMLIB; it can use the standard WIMGAPI Microsoft imaging engine just fine.

In fact, I escalated a substantial number of bugs to synchronicity coming from real-world issues with the excellent WIMLIB library based on my testing, and more drastically, the testing of countless other real world users (who are the real yardstick here). It could be said that WIMLIB has benefited from DoubleSpace, as much as DoubleSpace has benefited from WIMLIB.

The fact is, DoubleSpace does many things you just cannot do from the command line or with scripts etc. - in fact, WIMLIB did not even have the necessary callbacks, which synchronicity was gracious enough to add, to support the flexibility that DoubleSpace requires from its underlying WIM image processor. But since we are not on a "touching product with so much as a stick" basis, I forgive your ignorance of what these things are, and for talking without any basis in reality.

Have a great rest of your day :victory:

#11 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

I think the section about "community built" is subject to some confusion.  It seems that Wonko is reading it as being primarily about DoubleSpace, whereas it seems Simon intended the section as a whole to be about ZipMagic as a whole (of which DoubleSpace is just one part --- and note that ZipMagic uses other open source code as well, such as 7zip).  I can't comment on other parts of ZipMagic as I am not familiar with them, but perhaps everyone would benefit if the parts of DoubleSpace (in particular, the role of wimlib) were explained more clearly.

I am more than happy to do this, please feel free to suggest the exact verbiage you would like to see up there, and it will be done.

• TheHive likes this

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

In fact, I escalated a substantial number of bugs to synchronicity coming from real-world issues with the excellent WIMLIB library based on my testing, and more drastically, the testing of countless other real world users (who are the real yardstick here). It could be said that WIMLIB has benefited from DoubleSpace, as much as DoubleSpace has benefited from WIMLIB.

I am sure you did :), and I have no doubts that your reports and feedback have been of use to WIMLIB.

The fact is, DoubleSpace does many things you just cannot do from the command line or with scripts etc. - in fact, WIMLIB did not even have the necessary callbacks, which synchronicity was gracious enough to add, to support the flexibility that DoubleSpace requires from its underlying WIM image processor.

And this would be a good reason IMHO to graciously mention wimlib and sinchronicity with some added relevance.

But since we are not on a "touching product with so much as a stick" basis, I forgive your ignorance of what these things are, and for talking without any basis in reality.

Actually it is not that I will use my spare sticks (hand made, not factory made ;)):
http://www.msfn.org/...croxp/?p=807225
http://www.msfn.org/...-menu/?p=641627
http://www.msfn.org/...m-usb/?p=732379
to not touch your (nice) Doublespace thingy particularly, simply I am not going to touch (with those same sticks) a Surface (1, 2 or 3) or Windows 8.x in any form, at least in a foreseeable future or unless forced at gunpoint.

As well this:

Also thank you very much once again synchronicity for your very diligent bug fixes, excellent ideas, and much better compressing WIM library!

Last but not least, thank you very much once again to the entire reboot.pro community for collaborating on the external-USB-disk free approach to WIMBoot'ing, AFAIK only DoubleSpace currently features this technology, which also adds a new unique angle for people trying to clone their systems to new PCs and don't want to deal with manual reboots and fiddling with bootable USB creation/devices.

seems to me another sign of thankfulness that could be better expressed on the referenced page.

Wonko

#13 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

I am sure you did :), and I have no doubts that your reports and feedback have been of use to WIMLIB.

And this would be a good reason IMHO to graciously mention wimlib and sinchronicity with some added relevance.

Actually it is not that I will use my spare sticks (hand made, not factory made ;)):
http://www.msfn.org/...croxp/?p=807225
http://www.msfn.org/...-menu/?p=641627
http://www.msfn.org/...m-usb/?p=732379
to not touch your (nice) Doublespace thingy particularly, simply I am not going to touch (with those same sticks) a Surface (1, 2 or 3) or Windows 8.x in any form, at least in a foreseeable future or unless forced at gunpoint.

As well this:
seems to me another sign of thankfulness that could be better expressed on the referenced page.

Wonko

You feign to be constantly taking some high road, but you're just funny in your pretense.

Maybe you should not comment at all on products you cannot touch, be that for technical or personal reasons.

(Am I to believe that you don't have any VMs, and forget that you did touch MagicRAR last year to claim that it collected archive passwords?)

If anybody is feeling "left out of the party", see this post I made here last week - which drew zero response:

http://reboot.pro/to...ssues/?p=191153

But that would actually involve some work, wouldn't it? It's a lot easier to accuse honest, hard-working people of profiteering instead.

Seeing how your sole motivation is only to make me and my products look bad, I retract any and all respect and love I have held for you.

I now recognize even your help for the booting idea was unwitting, motivated by the desire to make me look stupid, rather than to actually help.

I've had people post source code verbatim here from their products, write scripts, upgrade their libraries, fix bugs...that's real help.

The world really doesn't need an armchair activist who's utterly deluded about himself and his motivations. Go see a shrink.

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

I've had people post source code verbatim here from their products, write scripts, upgrade their libraries, fix bugs...that's real help.

Sure you had them, and seemingly unwantingly you IMHO failed to thank/cite them appropriately for that work/support, this is the whole point.

I now recognize even your help for the booting idea was unwitting, motivated by the desire to make me look stupid, rather than to actually help.

You see, IF that was my motivation (which it was obviously not, as as always I have no other motivation if not that of helping - for the little I can - someone of the Community) I would have succeeded as you just demonstrated, now, and with this ridiculous post in which  you are actually looking stupid.

And BTW there were NO comments on any products, only comments on the way a specific product (and particularly it's birth and development) were inaccurately depicted.

Wonko

#15 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

Sure you had them, and seemingly unwantingly you IMHO failed to thank/cite them appropriately for that work/support, this is the whole point.

You see, IF that was my motivation (which it was obviously not, as as always I have no other motivation if not that of helping - for the little I can - someone of the Community) I would have succeeded as you just demonstrated, now, and with this ridiculous post in which  you are actually looking stupid.

And BTW there were NO comments on any products, only comments on the way a specific product (and particularly it's birth and development) were inaccurately depicted.

Wonko

Don't flatter yourself. As a non-developer, you're on a totally different wavelength to be of any real help with my efforts. And in fact, you know just enough to completely misunderstand just about everything that happens on the technical end of things; enough so to cause trouble and confusion for everyone involved (only made worse by your ill intentions, despite your claims to the contrary; and your ridiculous self-imposed restrictions, which you also contradict from time to time).

Which is why I am once again asking you to be quiet when it comes to things that are beyond your understanding. To clarify, they are beyond your understanding not because you are stupid by birth or anything; but simply because you are intentionally (through wanton malice, or at best sheer ignorance) limiting yourself in what you will accept, and what you will not.

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

As a non-developer, you're on a totally different wavelength ...

As a matter of fact I am quite proud of being on a different wavelength from the one you believe being the developers one. :)

Which is why I am once again asking you to be quiet ...

Which is something very unlikely to happen...

Wonko

#17 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Yes, I can see you have a lot of pride. You may already know the saying, pride goes before the fall.

If you insist on talking out of your rear orifice, may I kindly suggest that you bring yourself up to speed on what you're talking about first.

That way you'll be talking less out of the rear and making more sense - bonus! :cheerleader:

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

Wow, incredible. :w00t:

It is so many years I have been confronted with this kind of arguments in a discussion that I forgot when it happened, ... let me think :unsure:, it was in second or third :dubbio:, no, definitely second grade, kindergarten and first grade discussions were more direct, and by third grade we were done with this phase and could already discuss a topic in a civil manner.

Wonko

#19 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

You're clearly someone who could never be wrong, who would never admit to any wrong doing despite immense proof to the contrary. You are akin to a religious fanatic in this sense:

You may not have the means to decapitate people for disagreeing with you, but you lavish and take delight in decapitating their products instead, in carefully staged public executions, with fabricated evidence. You persecute people out of your personal disagreement with them, even openly admitting your ignorance about what they have built, taking pride in this ignorance.

What part - or rather time - of Italy are you really from? You may be using a modern PC and feeling yourself advanced technologically, but your attitude is remarkably medieval and similar to those inquisitionists who would refuse to look through the lens of a telescope, and just burn so-called heretics instead.

When I escalated your latest posts to a site moderator, I quote directly from his response:

"Wonko does the same to me and many other developers on the forum and free speech reigns on the website.

Unless he would use vulgar offenses (which in ten years he has managed to cleverly elude), then there is no action to be censored by mods."

So they know you to be exactly the kind of person that you are.

I was contacted by another party over site private message. I again quote directly from his response:

"Or as I prefer to call him W4nker the INsane. I long ago found him to be a total 455 and there is absolutely no reasoning with him, I would highly advise just putting him on your IGNORE list." [numeric substitutions mine to comply with site policy]

I wish I was as clever to come up with names like that! It seems you're not fooling as many people as you think by your confrontational behavior. Are you seriously surprised not everyone is eating up your bull?

It is clear you have nothing better to do with your time. I believe I'm going to take the advice of that person now and put you up on my Ignore list. Sorry to have to leave you alone. :alone:

#20 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

Poor little kid, once again bad, bad people somewhere on the internet are commenting or criticizing something you did or wrote, and the teacher won't do anything about it.

You could make a press release about this, I don't know, something along the lines of :unsure::

http://www.marketwat...nrar-2013-09-23

and/or add a new topic to your Forum about the cyber-bullyism that you are a victim of (besides censorship):
http://www.zipmagic....c930875e9f19235

Wonko

#21 Tripredacus

Tripredacus

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:K-Mart-ian Legend
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

My main complaint about the blurb is the notion that "reboot.pro" was in collaboration on the project. You may feel it is just a good-faith advertising, a "thank you" for whatever you may have learned from reading/posting here... but it is not exactly that. If that is what you want it to be, you should word it that way.

Reboot.pro did not do any sort of collaboration with you on your software, it was maybe a couple members who helped you out. If you want to officially say that Reboot.pro (itself, as a whole entitiy) somehow partnered with you/your company/your software, then that is an agreement that much be reached by the owner of the site. You are falsely attributing Reboot.pro as being a creator of the software, which not only includes all of the members who did not interact with any of your posts, but also the owner of the site. Should something go wrong with your software, a customer or end-user of it may feel that both Simonking and Reboot.pro are responsible for whatever problem they may have encountered.

If no such official agreement was made, then you should remove the specific mention of Reboot.pro from the blurb about the software.

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

You are falsely attributing Reboot.pro as being a creator of the software, which not only includes all of the members who did not interact with any of your posts, but also the owner of the site. Should something go wrong with your software, a customer or end-user of it may feel that both Simonking and Reboot.pro are responsible for whatever problem they may have encountered.

I guess that IF that should happen, the customer or end-user would be directed here:

http://www.zipmagic.co/tos.html

3. Disclaimer
The materials on Simon King's web site are provided "as is". Simon King makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Simon King does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.

Since there is no pretense whatever that anything on the site is accurate, and actually there is not even an attempt to define it as such or to explicit a good will into making it so (like - you know - "In addition, although we make an effort to keep our Sites current and accurate, we do not represent or warrant" or "While making reasonable efforts to ensure that all information in this site is accurate and up to date, xxxxxx makes no representation or warranty of the accuracy, reliability, or completeness of the information.")  isn't it queer that such a reaction happens when something is commented as being actually inaccurate? :unsure:

Wonko

#23 simonking

simonking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 236 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

My main complaint about the blurb is the notion that "reboot.pro" was in collaboration on the project. You may feel it is just a good-faith advertising, a "thank you" for whatever you may have learned from reading/posting here... but it is not exactly that. If that is what you want it to be, you should word it that way.

Reboot.pro did not do any sort of collaboration with you on your software, it was maybe a couple members who helped you out. If you want to officially say that Reboot.pro (itself, as a whole entitiy) somehow partnered with you/your company/your software, then that is an agreement that much be reached by the owner of the site. You are falsely attributing Reboot.pro as being a creator of the software, which not only includes all of the members who did not interact with any of your posts, but also the owner of the site. Should something go wrong with your software, a customer or end-user of it may feel that both Simonking and Reboot.pro are responsible for whatever problem they may have encountered.

If no such official agreement was made, then you should remove the specific mention of Reboot.pro from the blurb about the software.

Trip, seriously? Is that the meaning you attribute to the sentence "developed...through collaborative effort at many online forums (such as reboot.pro)", which is 100% accurate? Sometimes, the release of endorphins is exactly what is needed in this scenario. I am fond of swimming for the same. :swimmer: Some people may have other preferences. :afro:

Why beat a dead horse? :frusty:  Even though I have already indicated that I am open to replacing the verbiage, there's zero verbiage suggestions from the whiners  :baby: - all we have instead are constant complaints as to the factual verbiage above.

Are you folks just venting? :wodoo:

ZIPmagic is a compression utility that is unmatched for Windows. It is a precious item.

Use it to compress data, not freak one another out!!! :pressure:

• TheHive likes this

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Even though I have already indicated that I am open to replacing the verbiage, there's zero verbiage suggestions from the whiners

What do you think post #2 represents if not an accurate sum up of the events?

Simon King was having some issues in booting 8.1 and he was missing some of the potentialities of Windows 8.x built-in tools, asked for help on the reboot.pro forum, some ideas were provided to him on reboot.pro and he included the provided ideas and the Open Source project wimlib http://sourceforge.n...rojects/wimlib/ (whose Author Sinchronicity also provided suggestions and support) in the DoubleSpace program, closed source, part of the Commercial package ZipMagic and in the still closed source, but freeware WinRE Extractor, released on reboot.pro: http://reboot.pro/topic/20325-updated-winre-extractor/

Quick quotes (for those that do not want to read the given 10 page thread):

I have a very harrowing issue that I haven't been able to resolve for literally months...

...I really appreciate the scripts you have provided. Since Jaclaz assures me that the MSFT license is not an issue, I believe the cleanest approach for me right now is to interface with WAIK using the scripts you provided and through the InstallAware downloader in the setup wizard for the necessary WAIK components.

Although, if I could fully retire WIMGAPI and use WIMLIB only; then it might become unnecessary too. Eric is doing a great job supporting the library, so that is really a big helping hand here.

Hey, that's some helpful research, Misty!
I am having some troubles on some other systems still; so please don't use this on a production environment unless you have a full backup - it is very much a beta, both on the DoubleSpace app side and the WIMLIB DLL side (I just got a new WIMLIB update from Eric, so I will add that in to the next build - maybe in the next hour or so, if I am lucky).

I confirm that WinRE is available, both on my current Surface, and my 32/64 bit virgin VMs. This is a hopeful development!

Can anybody share any newb-level instructions to create a new boot menu entry, booting from this WinRE instance? Something that I could type out with bcdedit, and also do programmatically?

So tried the WIM file approach...took a copy of the WIM from my hidden partition, mounted it and added my tool inside it. Booted into the rescue mode through the Win 8.1 metro gooey options, and there it was, my tool was there. It also ran without apparent issues, so this approach is viable.

You folks are right about MS's licensing policy change on PE, it appears they do not license it to ISVs anymore. So the only legal way to produce PE would be through having a copy of WAIK installed - we can optimize the installation process later, I just need something that works right now, so I can make progress on the project.

Success! With the P replaced by R, I was able to boot in, at least inside VMware, to the recovery partition.
I'm going to try this on my live Surface now too, the one with the seemingly corrupted recovery partition.

I ran the analyze command from WinRE.

Thanks for your winpeshl.ini suggestion, I will check that out as well. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to run my product, and with access to the desired partition - without laborious login processes.

I also owe Wonko thanks for the WinRE idea, provided of course, that in further testing, it continues to prove viable. There's things you can learn from anyone, clearly :)

That's actually a brilliantly simple idea. I suppose one wouldn't even need to use multiple WIMs or VSS for that - just leave the locked files uncompressed, right?

OK, it's done and working.

Thanks again for all who have helped, sorted by the date of their contributions to the project:
Sinan Karaca of InstallAware, for the idea, and prototype code.
Eric Biggers of WIMLIB, for the late night troubleshooting help and excellent library.
Jaclaz/Wonko and Misty, for the WinRE idea and example batch files.

OK, this bit has finally been sorted out: DoubleSpace now automagically preps a WIM file, and boots itself into it :D

I even just finished testing and validating WIMLIB on a Surface - no boot spinner rotation problem.

I believe any problem caused by seemingly random Surface corruption would surface immediately when trying to boot into the BCDEDIT menu entry that DoubleSpace creates. The process seems to stall there, so no harm can be done during further processing, thankfully.

I believe the project goals have been realized - a one-click, WIMBoot based, transparent full-disk compressor; which can utilize an external "Undo Disk" when available, but does not mandate one to be available. And can boot into itself without needing any USB stick, and/or manual/automated WinPE construction :D

Yep, that's right. It'll take any Windows 8.1 Update 1 installation, and WIMBoot it for you. Without needing anything extra - just the software. On average, it does double your disk storage. Really incredible! Eric has done a wonderful job implementing WIMLIB...I love his extra compression settings. Truly phenomenal.

Wonko

#25 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

hi simonking,

would you make this also available to download here on reboot.pro downloads subforum?

thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wimboot, clone, imaging, disk imaging, wim, backup, restore, disk compression, zipmagic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users