steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

How do you know you are adding the correct Win8 64-bit USB 3.0 driver?

Did you check the PCI ID of the USB controller and the PCI ID in the .INF file from the driver you are adding?

#52 HelgeS

HelgeS
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Yes I have.

If I disable xhci in BIOS and installs the pc, I can use the same driver to install support for USB3.0 after I have enabled the xhci in BIOS again.

It's a little frustrating...

#53 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

In Win8.1SE the problem of invisible USB drives was solved by using RenewUSB3.script

http://www.msfn.org/...170546-win81se/

http://www.msfn.org/...-5#entry1068972

:cheers:

#54 Noremo

Noremo
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hy Eric

I´ve read a post from you where you tried to ad WOW64 Support to a WinPE. Have you ever accomplished the Task sucesfully?

I Need it to run on a Tablet that only can work with 64-Bit PE, because we have a Company own 32-Bit Application that we use for deploying Images.

I tried with Win8.1Se that works great with the WOW64 Support, but the Problem is i can´t add HTA, WDS-Tools or MDAC Support to the boot.wim then, but we need these Packages for our Application to run.

I tried also to manually build the WOW64 based on the Script from Win8.1SE, that way i can´t start any Application.

I´m runniong out of Ideas, every pointer in the right direction will be appreciated.

Greetings Noremo

#55 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hi Noremo,

I stopped trying to find a way to add WoW64 support to a 64bit WinPE, as Win8.1SE already does it very well.

Besides, I have a 32bit and 64bit WIM files on the same flash drive, and I can boot to each whenever necessary using the Boot Manager Menu.

There shouldn't be any problem adding HTA, WDS-Tools or MDAC support to the boot.wim of Win8.1SE.

for example:

DISM /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE5\WinPE_OCs\WinPE-MDAC.cab"
DISM /image:C:\MOUNT /add-package /PackagePath:"C:\Temp\PE5\WinPE_OCs\en-us\WinPE-MDAC_en-us.cab"

I haven't tried doing that myself with Win8.1SE, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

What error are you getting, if any? Perhaps Win8.1SE already contains those packages...I haven't checked.

Another option is Wimb's app, Make-PE3.

#56 mig21mf

mig21mf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

I tried this tutorial twice. Windows will not even read the USB key after I was done, to say nothing of booting from it. Don't waste your time with this page.

#57 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

I tried this tutorial twice. Windows will not even read the USB key after I was done, to say nothing of booting from it. Don't waste your time with this page.

Which to me simply says that you were not capable of following the steps properly, since this method has been tested and is working for hundreds, thousands and very likely much more people.

Now if instead of whining :w00t: :ph34r: you had started a new thread asking for help to solve your USB partitioning/formatting/booting problem most probably some member would have helped you in solving the issue, but of course it is much easier to behave like the fox ;):

http://en.wikipedia...._and_the_Grapes

:duff:

Wonko

#58 mig21mf

mig21mf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I can also add that this "procedure" destroyed my USB drive. It worked fine until I used it with the information given on this site. I am just trying to save the next person the time and aggravation in trying the useless information on this post. I did the procedure twice. The first time, I thought I obviously did something wrong, so I tried again. The second time, after following the steps to the letter, it wasn't me. It is the tutorial, an obtuse way to make a complicated subject even tougher.

#59 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

I can also add that this "procedure" destroyed my USB drive. It worked fine until I used it with the information given on this site. I am just trying to save the next person the time and aggravation in trying the useless information on this post. I did the procedure twice. The first time, I thought I obviously did something wrong, so I tried again. The second time, after following the steps to the letter, it wasn't me. It is the tutorial, an obtuse way to make a complicated subject even tougher.

Good. :)

So I will re-state how the present tutorial (actually the very basic set of commands using diskpart) has worked fine for everyone (at the most making a USB stick that failed to boot on a peculiar hardware, but NEVER "destroyed" anything), exception made from you, with a ratio of say 15000:1, so it is much more probable that next person will be in the first category (those who succeed).

One of the first few lines in the tutorial, should you have missed it, is this one:

This tutorial will show you how to manually create a bootable WinPE 5.0 x64 USB drive. WinPE 5.0 is based on Windows 8.1.
It is very similar to my previous tutorial, but there are a few small changes to the packages.

I assume you are computer savvy and have at least basic knowledge regarding running commands and batch scripts.

A problem can happen to everyone and everyone can make a mistake, but putting flatly the blame on the OP with the "I did it to the letter and it destroyed my USB drive" and the non-costructive whining shows clearly how you do not belong to the "computer savvy" category.

Unfortunately, most of the info on this site is reserved to "computer savvy" people. :(

Wonko

• Agent47 likes this

#60 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

mig21mf,

Truly sorry you feel this way.

I can assure you this tutorial is as specific as I could make it.

I can assure you that the resulting WinPE works fine.

I can also assure you that it does not destroy the USB flash drive, and you can continue using it as a normal drive after the procedure described in the tutorial.

If, for some reason, you are experiencing problems, you need to make sure that your system is running properly (OS, drivers, etc), and the hardware you're using (PC, cables, USB drive) are all OK.

I encourage you to try again. Try doing it without adding drivers at first. See how it goes. You can always add stuff afterwards...that's the beauty of it.

Wonko, thanks for your support. Cheers  :)

#61 mig21mf

mig21mf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

I could give a rat's ass whether or not Wanker thinks I am computer savvy. He is just some anonymous person on the web (about as useful as a flat tire). I did try again.  I went through all of the steps, very carefully, on a computer that I was savvy enough to build myself. It is not the best computer in the world, but it is suitable for what I need. It performs all of things I ask of it without a problem. Build quality is not an issue. All I got at the enough of the tutorial was a blinking cursor. The created USB stick is not bootable. I even used a USB stick that had a previous version of PE on it, that did boot and worked fine, so the the device can boot a PC. I did not add any drivers to PE as I just need a PE drive with ImageX on it. I have no intentions of connecting to a network share and backing up that way. I just want to make a WIM file of my Windows install to a USB HDD. The tutorial is straightforward and well laid-out, it just doesn't work in my experience.

#62 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

So, BTW as expected, the ONLY part of the tutorial that does not work on your particular hardware is just the diskpart set of commands to make the USB stick bootable.

The result of that set of commands results in a blinking cursor.

This can happen of course and is actually "common enough"  (though no USB device is destroyed) and there are a number of suitable tools that can create a bootable USB stick in "more compatible" manners.

Namely, you can use RMPREPUSB as partitioning/formatting tools instead of diskpart in step #3:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/

You want in "Bootloader options" to choose the WinPEv2/WinPEv3/Vista/Win7 Bootable [BOOTMGR] (CC4) and in the "Filesystem and Overrides" the FAT32 (or the NTFS) and the boot as HDD (C:2PTNS)

After having thus ""prepared" the drive, and possibly once you will have removed and reinserted your stick, the stick should be detected and mounted normally in your windows.

If you now copy to the root of it a BOOTMGR, you should be able to boot to it (in BIOS mode) and have instead of the blinking cursor an error generated by bootmgr (as there is not any \boot\BCD file on the stick).

Then you can follow the other steps of the tutorial.

Wonko

#63 mig21mf

mig21mf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

I'd like to try the USB key on another computer, but the key I made is x64, and the only other PC I have is x86-only (8 yrs. old). I'll look into making an x86-based key and try it again. Thanks

#64 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

I'd like to try the USB key on another computer, but the key I made is x64, and the only other PC I have is x86-only (8 yrs. old). I'll look into making an x86-based key and try it again. Thanks

Well to test the initial part of the booting, i.e. with just a BOOTMGR in root, knowing that it will throw an error, you can test on *any* machine, the BOOTMGR in itself is not 32-bit vs. 64-bit, as a matter of fact it is possible to have both versions of WinPE on a same device, JFYI:

http://www.deploymen...64-support.aspx

Wonko

#65 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

For testing USB booting you can use the QEMU button in RMPrepUSB (32-bit only) or better yet, install Virtual Box and DavidB's VMUB so that you can boot 32-bit and 64-bit OS's and MBR or UEFI boot too - see here.

Or why not try ChrisR's Win8.1SE PE project and make a 'dual-boot' 32-bit+64-bit MBR+UEFI WinPE - see here.

#66 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

Great news, folks:

Starting with 7-Zip v9.38 beta, it can handle WIM files just like regular archives.

You can add, remove & update files very easily. No need to mount and unmount a WIM file to change something in it.

:)

• TheHive likes this

#67 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:34 PM

Great news, folks:

Starting with 7-Zip v9.38 beta, it can handle WIM files just like regular archives.

You can add, remove & update files very easily. No need to mount and unmount a WIM file to change something in it.

GREAT news! :yahoo:

Wonko

#68 netlord

netlord

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

Great news, folks:

sure?

be aware that there are different ways to create and compress - if you create the wim with /Compress:max you won´t open the wim...

#69 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

sure?

be aware that there are different ways to create and compress - if you create the wim with /Compress:max you won´t open the wim...

I'm sure there are caveats, and since the newest version of 7-Zip is still in beta, there might be a few bugs here and there. But hey, it worked for me... :)

#70 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

By the way, guys:
I've downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview ADK (dated 2015-03-11). It weighs 2.7GB, if you wish to experiment with it yourself.
Ran my guide on it, and it works just the same. I created a WinPE 10.0 x64 (yes, MS jumped straight from version 5 to version 10).

One thing to note, though, is that Q-Dir cannot show extensions for known file types, no matter if the setting is checked or not. I'm using the latest version as of today, which is Q-Dir v6.09 x64.

#71 FoxDie

FoxDie
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Libya

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

After this code :

DISM.exe /export-image /sourceimagefile:C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot.wim /sourceindex:1 /destinationimagefile:C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot_optimized.wim

I get this error : 

C:\Users\Administrator>DISM.exe /export-image /sourceimagefile: C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot.wim /sourceindex:1 /destinatio
nimagefile: C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot_optimized.wim

Error: 87

The /sourceimagefile: option is missing a required argument.
For more information, refer to the help for the /sourceimagefile: option.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

This is the log file compressed:
http://w2.wikisend.c...c34005/dism.rar

#72 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

FoxDie,

The command works as it should. I even checked on my PC right now, just for you.

Please make sure you type the entire command as a single continuous line of code. 

Also make sure the path and file name of the WIM file are correct.

#73 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 340 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

Just a heads-up:

Updated the guide in step 2:  added a link to download the ADK for Win10 b10586.

#74 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

After this code :

DISM.exe /export-image /sourceimagefile:C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot.wim /sourceindex:1 /destinationimagefile:C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot_optimized.wim

I get this error : 

C:\Users\Administrator>DISM.exe /export-image /sourceimagefile: C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot.wim /sourceindex:1 /destinatio
nimagefile: C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot_optimized.wim

Error: 87

The /sourceimagefile: option is missing a required argument.
For more information, refer to the help for the /sourceimagefile: option.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

This is the log file compressed:
http://w2.wikisend.c...c34005/dism.rar

Is that:

/sourceimagefile:C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot.wim

or:

/sourceimagefile:[SPACE]C:\Temp\PE5\Media\Sources\boot.wim

:dubbio:

Wonko

#75 J.A. Sutter

J.A. Sutter
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:PHOTOGRAPHS
    IT
    GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hi Expert

What I liked/expected to get with the bootable usb stick was a mini System of Windows (PE) 7/64  bit!

With Qdir I have an Explorer which allows me to watch the Volumes and files etc. on the existing Computer and nothing more!

How can I get this Explorer functional like the one I installed directly on the PC and how can I start this mini System (PE) from this stick

Thanks a lot for your help

JAS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winpe, usb, wim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users