devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

This is my Adata 32 GB USB flash disk with two partitions:

EDIT: Alternative format procedure used: I just made a multipartition USB stick using RMPrepUSB for the first primary active partition and EasyUS PartitionMaster 10 to make an unformated second primary partition, later using BootIce formated it to exFAT.

1.- First primary partition 1.9 GB FAT32 type 0C active partition; used UEFI_MULTI to copy Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim file to root, an several other ISO's to directory Images, and make the boot files and EFI folder also Grub4dos mbr and grldr and make BCD option to boot Grub4dos. + I manually added BootIce, Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver folder and Karyonix – diskmod.sys folder (both having x64 versions)

2.- Second primary partition 28 GB exFAT; after make it visible to windows using BootIce, manualy copied Win7 and Win8 install ISO's, + WinNTSetup (BootIce included in tools folder), Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver folder and Karyonix – diskmod.sys folder, then make visible to windows the FAT32 partition.

3.- Boot from USB to Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim (it was a MBR PC, I don't have my UEFI win8 laptop with me at the moment), I tried to install diskmod.sys to be able to see the second partition too, a message saying something like "Windows has the best driver already installed" and no way to install it, same hapend when tried Hitachi microdriver, so the other alternative I had just in case was BootIce and make the second partition visible to windows, then using WinNTSetup is possible to install 7 or 8.

4.- I reboot again from USB to Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim this time I let the second partition visible, It booted just fine, so no need to switch back every boot.

Well after this loooong history I would like to suggest:

I)  Add to your UFD_FORMAT tool the option to select FAT32 size in MB or GB, now is the remaining from NTFS selection (with new thumb drives sizes 25% for FAT32 to put some WinPE's may be to much), perhaps remove this option from NTFS and just use the remaining from first partition selection.

II) Add exFAT as an option for the second partition format. Since long time ago XP-SP2 and newer systems are able to read and write in exFAT formated Volumes, I have been using this format for more than a year in all my USB flash disks, and I can tell you it is faster than NTFS, also it's able to content VHD's of big size and open them through Grub4Dos, another plus is files don't get fragmented so easy as in NTFS and finally less wear to your stick.

Also if you allow me I have a question: Could it be possible to inject a filter driver to Win8.1SE_x64 to make it see both partitions?, it's not so important but I would like to know.

My UEFI_MULTI USB stick: https://www.mediafir...fs585eq7tazlh61

Filter drivers: http://www.mediafire..._in_Windows.rar

Best Regards

Added- alternative format procedure followed to get partition sizes as required.

3.- Boot from USB to Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim. I let the second partition visible to Windows,

It booted just fine, so no need to switch back every boot.

Hi 'alacran'.............

First lots of thanks for sharing lots of useful and precious information regarding booting of Dual Partition 'Removable' USB Drive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One month ago you said that 'You don't have your UEFI win8 laptop with you at the moment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you got your UEFI based Win 8 laptop ? OR still not now ?

Whenever you got your UEFI based Win 8 laptop then please boot from ADATA USB (Let the second partition visible to Windows to Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim in UEFI mode. And If it booted fine, then

please inform me......................

Now my Special Configuration is waiting for your precious reply after booted in UEFI based PC................

Thanks for Everything.............

Edited by devdevadev, 20 June 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#27 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

@ devdevadev

Just formated it is not GPT and UEFI any more, it is MBR partitioned and legacy BIOS booting now.  Try yourself in your own equipment and you will learn in the process.

Regards

#28 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

So in BIOS mode: BIOS -> MBR -> grubdos -> grldr/menu.lst -> bootmgr -> s:\boot\BCD -> your wim or vhd
So in UEFI: UEFI-> /efi/bootmgfw.efi -> winload.efi -> S:\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD > your wim or vhd

AFAIK, 'UFD_FORMAT' provide two options in order to select 'MBR BootCode' type.

1- Standard (Boot Manager Menu)

2- Grub4dos (Grub4dos Menu)

I think following Boot Sequence is the example of 'Grub4dos' based 'MBR BootCode'.

BIOS mode : BIOS -> MBR -> grubdos -> grldr/menu.lst -> bootmgr -> s:\boot\BCD -> Boot WIM or VHD
UEFI mode : UEFI  -> /efi/bootmgfw.efi -> winload.efi -> S:\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD > 
Boot WIM or VHD

Can anybody PLEASE provide me example of 'Standard' based 'MBR BootCode' Boot Sequence ?

Thanks in Advance

#29 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

MBR > PBR > bootmgr -> s:\boot\BCD -> Boot WIM or VHD

#30 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

What will be the Boot Sequence in case of UEFI ?

Thanks

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:50 AM

What will be the Boot Sequence in case of UEFI ?

Thanks

What do you think this is? :dubbio:

UEFI mode : UEFI  -> /efi/bootmgfw.efi -> winload.efi -> S:\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD > Boot WIM or VHD

:duff:
Wonko

#32 devdevadev

devdevadev

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 540 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

UEFI mode : UEFI -> /efi/bootmgfw.efi -> winload.efi -> S:\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD > Boot WIM or VHD

You mean above boot sequence remains same for both 'Standard' and 'Grub4dos' options in 'MBR BootCode' section of 'UFD_FORMAT' . It seems 'MBR BootCode' does not affect 'UEFI' booting ?

Does 'MBR BootCode' affect only 'BIOS/CSM/MBR' booting ?

Thanks

Edited by devdevadev, 23 June 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#33 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

You cannot UEFI boot via grub4dos unless you load something like Clover and then UEFI boot from Clover.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhdx, wim, windows 10, grub4dos, format, uefi, usb, vhd

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users