1 reply to this topic

#1 Falkoner

Falkoner

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

From what I've read it's fairly easy to get the Win7 installer to extract an image of XP from a WIM file, and I already know how to add XP to the list of WIMs, so I believe the areas where I would have trouble with a WIM-based XP install are:

1. Will imaging the files that are normally moved to the HDD during the Text Mode section of the XP install, pre-GUI configuration, give me an universal XP install? Or are different files copied depending on the computer during the Text Mode? In other words, I don't need/want to skip the GUI section of a typical XP install, just the text-mode.
2. How can I install NTLDR instead of BOOTMGR to boot XP? Or, how can I modify BOOTMGR's list to boot XP.
3. Does anyone know what the size of a WIM-compressed XP would be?

I would like to basically have an all-in-one WIM file, with XP Pro, Home, and Media Center, that can fit onto a CD and be installed fairly normally.

Thanks.

Edited by Falkoner, 19 August 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#2 genetix

genetix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 132 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

1. No, you would be actually dumping an pre-installed system or installed system to Internal HD as Windows 7 WIM is.

* It might be possible to build some combination of WinNTSetup > WIM  > bootsect NTLDR to install.

2. you would at Win 7 PE command line run something like 'bootsect /nt52 C: /force /mbr' which would then update mbr and ntldr as boot file or alternatively before you dump the xp to wim you could create BCD and BOOTMGR and include NTLDR at that might go through smoother plus gives easier multiboot options (for example vhd).

3. Max compression would most likely be around 290-310MB.

for all in one concept I would actually rather use an ISO not WIM and use identical version of Windows install CDs you can pack basically all 26 versions to around 3,8GB (SP3 including 2003 server all existing variants) every existing version of original XP goes to around 750-800MB. In WIM you generally get extra layer you need to go through at install stage plus it's quite an job to pre-install every version while you can as well use original image sources to build above.

-edit-

o btw, you will need oldest imagex available to do '*' at 1. new ones they actually added those paths which installs XP to exclusion list. (Don't we love Microsoft...)

Edited by genetix, 20 August 2013 - 03:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: install, wim

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users