Photo

full Universal xp.vhd run from usb - Finally work for me! (maybe for you too...)

• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#451 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

At winvblock 0.0.1.8 I get still
Unknown device #119 http://reboot.pro/98...post__p__122080 and
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT #366 http://reboot.pro/13...post__p__133579

Default txtsetup.oem and WinVBlk.INF changed

For me until now WVBlk32 was always installed as Unknown Device.

I modified WinVBlk.INF according to your description.
Now WVBlk32 is correctly installed as SCSI controller.

txtsetup.oem was left unchanged.
I suppose that is what you mean or should it be modified as well ?

Thanks for this improvement of WinVBlk.INF
Sha0 will be happy with it, since he was looking for a solution to this issue.

:cheers:

#452 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Are you suggesting to replace entire content of WinVBlk.INF and txtsetup.oem with your code, or amend their present content with it?

Edit file WinVBlk.INF. It's a kind of simple diff file:
Mark section

[WinVBlockDriver]
"WinVBlock Bus"=WinVBlock,Root\WinVBlock, Detected\WinVBlock

[Files.Driver]
wvblk32.sys

Delete section, instert new code.

For what driver version: 0.0.1.8-Dev from Etherboot depository, or 0.0.1.8 from wimb's IMG_XP?

It'f for both versions.

What are the consequences of breaking .cat signing?

Allow non signed inf files.

Still isn't clear why Prefetcher must be disabled for VHD only, but it shouldn't be when installing WinVBlock to HD?
And once WinVBlock is prefetched (manually?), is it possible to enable the Prefetcher again?

I don't know. Seems to be a timing issue. Disabling prefetcher is a work arround, dosn't solve the true error.
A timming issue relate to hardware. I'm using a SSD drive.

Do you recommend exact same change for Win7 install to VHD? I have OS (WES7 & ThinPC) stability problems in VPC & VMWare after installing WinVBlock 0.0.1.8 with current unchanged INF.

What's Win7? :) Read the thread title. I don't know.

I modified WinVBlk.INF according to your description.
Now WVBlk32 is correctly installed as SCSI controller.

That's nice.

txtsetup.oem was left unchanged.

Yes, keep txtsetup.oem.

Thanks for this improvement of WinVBlk.INF
Sha0 will be happy with it, since he was looking for a solution to this issue.

It's not a solution, it's a work arround.
What about: use one service name at XP and Windows7?
All XP default textmode drivers use equal file name and service name.
Yield to weakest part: use file name and service name WVBlk32 at 32 bit

#453 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

Thanks, will check it out. :) It sounds like something similar to USB Boot obstacles related to slow disk recognition...that were solved at some point without limiting other OS functionality. Except, such error doesn't occur when applying OS backup with WinVBlock preinstalled from HD to VHD, and is more frequent in VMs. It might be, once Prefetcher has processed WinVBlock, it never goes Off anymore at WinVBlock start, thus resulting in no conflicts. Which means, WinVBlock prefetch file (if any) can possibly be added manually to OS to achieve the same effect. :dubbio:

#454 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Has anyone succes with FiraDisk as driver for Direct Install of XP on VHD ?

http://reboot.pro/88...617#entry122617

I tried FiraDisk but without succes.
I think sara - pmedia and Doodoo also did not have succes with FiraDisk for this purpose.

The difficulty seems to get XP.vhd file visible as drive C: in partition selection dialoque of TXT-mode of XP Setup.
Either the dialoque does not appear or the XP.vhd gets undesired drive letter e.g. T:
TXT-mode of XP Setup is running for drive T: but then GUI-mode cannot continue ....

#455 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

The difficulty seems to get XP.vhd file visible as drive C: in partition selection dialoque of TXT-mode of XP Setup.
Either the dialoque does not appear or the XP.vhd gets undesired drive letter e.g. T:
TXT-mode of XP Setup is running for drive T: but then GUI-mode cannot continue ....

Time to use a migrate.inf? :unsure:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19663

Doesn't fiddling the way karyonix suggested:

If you have uninitialized disk image, you may boot Step 1, create a partition in target disk image, don't format it yet, press F3 to quit and reboot into Step 1 again.

EDIT: Setup may give drive letter to partitions differently in your machine.
Sometimes the line map --harddrives=1 needs to be deleted to get C letter assigned to partition in image.

give any different result?

Wonko

#456 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

# Hide other disks, so partition in virtual disk will get C letter.

map --harddrives=1

map --hook

# The "boot" option is required for virtual disk to have system partition with C letter.

write (99) [FiraDisk]nStartOptions=disk,vmem=find:/hddimg.img,boot;cdrom,vmem=find:/winsetup.iso;floppy,vmem=find:/firadisk.img;n0

map --harddives=1 does NOT have the desired effect.
I get for the XP.vhd drive letter T: instead of C:
When using the second advice of karyonix to get drive letter C: for the XP.VHD
then the dialoque of partition selection does not appear at all.
After loading the boot drivers then TXT-mode XP Setup is freezing at hardware select with flashing cursor.
Omitting the boot option will bring up anyway the partition select dialoque, but then XP.vhd has drive letter T:

May be migrate.inf can help :unsure:

WinVBlock driver does not give such problems. The XP.vhd is easily recognized and gets drive letter C:

#457 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hopefully, someone experienced in driver coding will refine both drivers at some point. Better soon, until MS has stopped supporting XP altogether. :smiling9:

#458 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP package Version 4.1 ***
  • Added - VHD_XP_Create.exe - Make VHD file and Install XP in VHD by using Grub4dos Boot Menu on HDD
  • Update - BOOT_IMG.exe and BOOT_USB.exe - minor changes
  • Update - USB_XP_Fix.exe and USB_W7_Fix.exe - removed bug for x64 Win7 OS
  • Changed - WinVBlock floppy winvblock.ima improved to Install WVBl32 as SCSI device instead of Unknown device
    Thanks to cdob - http://reboot.pro/13...post__p__146207
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 4.1
More Info - http://reboot.pro/13...post__p__146178
http://reboot.pro/9830/

VHD_XP_Create.exe requires Win 7 PE or Win 7 OS with User Account Control = OFF
In case of a hidden boot partition containing Boot folder and file bootmgr of Windows 7,
then Grub4dos Boot menu for Install of XP in VHD cannot be made by this means.
However, in most other cases the Grub4dos boot menu is created,
e.g. on partition booting with XP or on partition booting direct with Windows 7 OS or on partition booting simply with Grub4dos.

After Install of XP in VHD follow step 5-9 of IMG_XP_Create procedure in
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24424

After Install of XP then you need to fix XP-1.vhd for booting from USB-drive by using USB_XP_Fix.exe
The fix will prevent BSOD 7B and will help to allow the XP VHD to boot on various hardware and so become Universal.

Download - IMG_XP

VHD_XP_Create.exe - Make VHD file and Install XP in VHD by using Grub4dos Boot Menu on HDD

Posted Image

#459 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

That's great news, but why not update your own very popular thread Universal HDD Image files for XP and Windows 7, and give brief info and link to it in the above post? :)

#460 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

That's great news, but why not update your own very popular thread Universal HDD Image files for XP and Windows 7, and give brief info and link to it in the above post? :)

The Update is most related to this thread.
My own thread will be updated accordingly (done Jan 19, 2012), if the new program is found by others to be OK .....

http://reboot.pro/9830/

#461 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 475 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

i loaded the winxp vhd into memory and booted it using :

map [b]--mem[/b] (hd0,7)/xp.vhd (hd0)

map --rd-size=2048

i then used hdtune & hdtach to chech the read speed of the drive with C: . both showed a read speed ot just 30MB/sec . Is this OK ?
i have ddr2-800.
i thought running a OS in memory would be quicker.

#462 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

While it is well possible that that partition scheme works allright for XP on VHD, it is actually NOT "XP compatible" in the sense "same as if the disk was partitioned on a XP System".

More info on selecting optimal Disk Partition Alignment (Sector Alignment) - not necessarily old XP style. :)

Hitachi Align Tool for HDD 4k block alignment recommended by Hitachi.

#463 bigMIKE

bigMIKE
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Sara,

thanks for putting this together as its exactly what I have been looking for. I have began following your guide but have a questions if thats OK?

How do I do this step? " 7. open device manager and change all "ide&usb" drivers to "standard..." and computer to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface"... reboot pc..."

I have used Microsoft Virtual PC to create my VHD and have installed XP into it.

When I look at Device Manager I see the following 3 entries under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" - "Intel® 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE COntroller", "Primary IDE Channel" & "Secondary IDE Channel"

What do I need to do to change them to "standard......" ?????

Thanks for your help and patience :good:

bigMIKE

Edited by bigMIKE, 11 May 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#464 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

When I look at Device Manager I see the following 3 entries under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" - "Intel® 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE COntroller", "Primary IDE Channel" & "Secondary IDE Channel"

What do I need to do to change them to "standard......" ?????

Try changing the "Intel® 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE COntroller" driver to "Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" (should be in the list of "compatible drivers" found by the XP).

Mind you this is "optional" and aimed to provide "wider" portability. you can skip this step and apply it later.

The tutorial is about building the image on a real machine, doing it in a VM may create issues :unsure:

Wonko

#465 bigMIKE

bigMIKE
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Wonko, thanks for assistance and advice - I'm now hoping you can offer some more :loleverybody:
Due to your concerns over Virtual PC I am now trying to follow Sara's instructions from step 1 and failing miserably at step 3

I have Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude 4300 with 4gb mem.

Using DIsk Management, I have created xp.vhd (1.6gb in size) on the root of C:\

I have downloaded and "slipstreamed" all XP86 driver packs into my XP Source and created an ISO of the folder using ImgBurn. This ISO is called xpsp3.iso.

My menu.lst is as follows

title start setup xp on img
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem (md)0x6000+800 (fd0)
map /xp.vhd (hd0)
map --mem /xpsp3.iso (0xff)
map --hook
dd if=(fd1) of=(fd0) count=1
chainloader (0xff)

I have installed GRUB4DOS on my USB key and also have "winvblock.ima" and "xpsp3.iso" on the root of the USB Key.

When I boot off my USB key, I getting the following after selecting the option from the Menu -

Booting start setup xp on img
FAT12 BPB found with 0xEB (jmp) leading the boot sector.
probed C/H/S = 80/2/18, probed total sectors = 2880
Autodetect number-of-heads failed. Use default value 2
Autodetect sectors-per-track failed. Use default value 10
floppies_orig=0, harddrives_orig=2, floppies_curr=1, harddrives_curr=2
map /xp.vhd
Error 15: File not Found
Press any key to continue

Any advice greatly received !!

bigMIKE

#466 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

DO NOT use pre-made menu.lst when experimenting.
Use command line and enter commands one by one.
Evidently grub4dos cannot find /xp.vhd, this may be because ROOT has been not established on the right drive or because the image is NOT called "xp.vhd".
"Making an .iso image of a folder" with IMGBURN is NOT the same as "making an XP install .iso, this may later prove to be another issue. :unsure:
Boot to grub4dos, press "c" to get to command line, enter command lines one by one and press [ENTER], learn to use [TAB] autocompletion.
You have to think at menu.lst as a batch file, you write one after having tested single commands on command line.
Read the guide:
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm
at the VERY LEAST you must be familiar with:
http://diddy.boot-la...iles/syntax.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...iles/basics.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...s/files/cli.htm

Before issuing the "map /xp.vhd (hd0)" do try issuing a "find --set-root /xp.vhd"

Wonko

#467 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Dear Sara,
I would like to express You The deepest possible appreciation. You are very probably very intelligent woman and You had spend many hours until You had developed Yours exact guide how to install XP on .vhd file and how to make this XP installation bootable.
Because I AM visually impaired, I Am fighting with one user interface element of Imgburn application. This application is very blind friendly, but i can not determine, how to locate The button for browsing The boot image file to add it to The .iso image with Windows XP.

I would like to please You for a little think.
DO You think, that You would send The .iso image only with special binary bootable file, with all boot values correctly set? I would use poweriso to add The rest of XP files.

As i have may be wrongly understood, it is necessary to have enough RAM to boot The .iso image with Windows Xp operating system installation.
Because my .iso image is unfortunately have more than 550 MB, and because i have only 512 MB of RAM, and so this is may be The reason why I AM getting The message starting Windows XP setup press any key to continue. The .iso image, which i AM triing to boot have been created by Windows unattended CD creator. And it is very probably having other important internal values set.

Because i do not use .iso image prepared according to Yours instructions, because i do not know, hod to add .bin boot image to The .iso by using Imgburn, i can not locate The browse button with The screen reader.

So do You think, that You would send me The little .iso image only with The bootable binary to some server?
I believe, that it is not causing big licensing problems, i will add my licensed XP installation files to this .iso image.

Poweriso or one GTK freely available iso editor for Linux will help me with this task.

Thank You very much for Yours help, and i wish You much health, luck, personal achievements, much love and much positive relation ships with other people.

With kindness regards.

Janusz Chmiel

#468 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Dear advanced users, system administrators, and others, who are reading information on this forum.
Some of us have started to work on very complex programmers project, making Windows Xp to run from .vhd image and even from bootable USB stick or external hard disk.
The good is, that Windows XP would really run as fully functioning operating system, without limitations which are presented, when running Windows XP by using some other live Projects, which are based on techniques derived from working with Windows preinstalled environment, mix of operations made by Bardpe and coders of Winbuilder scripts.

I have spend some time to follow The instructions of Sara and i have found out, that running .iso image even from internal SATa OR IDE harddrive, if this .iso image have not been prepared exactly by following their instructions have been inpossible.

But i have tried to follow other way.

Install Windows XP to standard virtual machine by using Oracle virtual box. I have performed standard installation and i have updated device drivers for USB and IDE controllers to their standard candidates.
I have moved created .vhd image, with fixed lenght to The computer, where NTFS partition resides, where Windows XP have been installed by using standard installation process from Microsoft.
I have used The menu.lst syntax published by MRS Media here to start Windows XP by using .vhd.
Very important.
I have installed winwblock driver from Windows XP installed to .vhd from The Oracle virtual box firstly.
I have followed those excellent instructions how to install this driver from Windows XP.

Install of WinVBlock driver in running XP OS
1. copy wvblk32.sys to C:WINDOWSsystem32drivers
2. open cmd prompt at C:WINDOWSsystem32
3. give commands
sc create WinVBlock binPath= c:windowssystem32driverswvblk32.sys type= kernel start= boot group= "SCSI miniport"
net start winvblock

Result:
C:WINDOWSsystem32>sc create WinVBlock binPath= c:windowssystem32driverswvblk32.sys type= kernel start= boot group= "SCSI miniport"
[SC] CreateService SUCCESS

C:WINDOWSsystem32>net start winvblock

De WinVBlock-service is gestart.

4. Device Manager > Action Scan Hardware > Wizard New Hardware > Browse to C:WinVBlock_0.0.1.8bin
5. Device Manager select comp > Action Scan Hardware > Wizard New Hardware > Automatic Install

Installed are ROOTWINVBLOCK0000 and ROOTWINVBLOCK0001

Then i have shut down Windows XP and i have run it to test, if WIndows XP is running smoothly.
After this, i have moved .vhd virtual harddisk to second computer.

And this is very important, i have been able to run Windows XP. Yes, without support for sound or USB devices, but system can be run smoothly.

Here is my issue.

How to add USB device drivers compatible with my second computer to atleast have USB headsets sound support.
I AM visually impaired with no sight at all, so i must have sound support.

And here started my dance.

How to add drivers by using Windows PE to .vhd Windows installation, because i did not integrate drivers by using dpbase.exe before creating .iso with Windows XP.

May be, that i will have to start again completely from scratch, because i will not have The chance to have drivers support.

There is other complex process to force to boot .iso image and install XP to .vhd or .img file by using wimblock.ima.

Using Sardu to firstly copy .iso image with Windows XP to USB stick, , copy .ima file with wimwblock to this stick after Sardu will copy .iso with XP successfully.
And, here is The most complex part, modifi .lst file created by Sardu to load .ima file to support .vhd harddisk to install XP on it.

Sardu is supporting various lenghts of .iso images, procedure is reliable and i think, that theoretically, combining sardu menu.lst approach, which is loading .iso from USB and by adding line to load
winvblock.ima
Enabling to use .vhd image would bring The wanted results to install XP operating system modified by Nlite or WIndows unattended CD creator.

Yes, i will test, ifWindowsXP SP3 professional setup program can search USB sticks for .sif file, or only External or internal floppy disk drives, but ithink, that i Am very nearofThe goal.

If I will get my USB driver t work, if i willget USB stick drivers to automatically install, i will have The chance to pup .vhd file to USB and i would rn special script to make necessary changes to make XP bootable.

Somebody reported here some approach based on creating .wim image with Windows XP, but i can not The approach described on The Internet.

I believe, that my post was atleast little interesting.

#469 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Dear advanced users, system administrators, and others, who are reading information on this forum.
Some of us have started to work on very complex programmers project, making Windows Xp to run from .vhd image and even from bootable USB stick or external hard disk.
The good is, that Windows XP would really run as fully functioning operating system, without limitations which are presented, when running Windows XP by using some other live Projects, which are based on techniques derived from working with Windows preinstalled environment, mix of operations made by Bardpe and coders of Winbuilder scripts.

I have spend some time to follow The instructions of Sara and i have found out, that running .iso image even from internal SATa OR IDE harddrive, if this .iso image have not been prepared exactly by following their instructions have been inpossible.

But i have tried to follow other way.

Install Windows XP to standard virtual machine by using Oracle virtual box. I have performed standard installation and i have updated device drivers for USB and IDE controllers to their standard candidates.
I have moved created .vhd image, with fixed lenght to The computer, where NTFS partition resides, where Windows XP have been installed by using standard installation process from Microsoft.
I have used The menu.lst syntax published by MRS Media here to start Windows XP by using .vhd.
Very important.
I have installed winwblock driver from Windows XP installed to .vhd from The Oracle virtual box firstly.
I have followed those excellent instructions how to install this driver from Windows XP.

Install of WinVBlock driver in running XP OS
1. copy wvblk32.sys to C:WINDOWSsystem32drivers
2. open cmd prompt at C:WINDOWSsystem32
3. give commands
sc create WinVBlock binPath= c:windowssystem32driverswvblk32.sys type= kernel start= boot group= "SCSI miniport"
net start winvblock

Result:
C:WINDOWSsystem32>sc create WinVBlock binPath= c:windowssystem32driverswvblk32.sys type= kernel start= boot group= "SCSI miniport"
[SC] CreateService SUCCESS

C:WINDOWSsystem32>net start winvblock

De WinVBlock-service is gestart.

4. Device Manager > Action Scan Hardware > Wizard New Hardware > Browse to C:WinVBlock_0.0.1.8bin
5. Device Manager select comp > Action Scan Hardware > Wizard New Hardware > Automatic Install

Installed are ROOTWINVBLOCK0000 and ROOTWINVBLOCK0001

Then i have shut down Windows XP and i have run it to test, if WIndows XP is running smoothly.
After this, i have moved .vhd virtual harddisk to second computer.

And this is very important, i have been able to run Windows XP. Yes, without support for sound or USB devices, but system can be run smoothly.

Here is my issue.

How to add USB device drivers compatible with my second computer to atleast have USB headsets sound support.
I AM visually impaired with no sight at all, so i must have sound support.

And here started my dance.

How to add drivers by using Windows PE to .vhd Windows installation, because i did not integrate drivers by using dpbase.exe before creating .iso with Windows XP.

May be, that i will have to start again completely from scratch, because i will not have The chance to have drivers support.

There is other complex process to force to boot .iso image and install XP to .vhd or .img file by using wimblock.ima.

Using Sardu to firstly copy .iso image with Windows XP to USB stick, , copy .ima file with wimwblock to this stick after Sardu will copy .iso with XP successfully.
And, here is The most complex part, modifi .lst file created by Sardu to load .ima file to support .vhd harddisk to install XP on it.

Sardu is supporting various lenghts of .iso images, procedure is reliable and i think, that theoretically, combining sardu menu.lst approach, which is loading .iso from USB and by adding line to load
winvblock.ima
Enabling to use .vhd image would bring The wanted results to install XP operating system modified by Nlite or WIndows unattended CD creator.

Yes, i will test, ifWindowsXP SP3 professional setup program can search USB sticks for .sif file, or only External or internal floppy disk drives, but ithink, that i Am very nearofThe goal.

If I will get my USB driver t work, if i willget USB stick drivers to automatically install, i will have The chance to pup .vhd file to USB and i would rn special script to make necessary changes to make XP bootable.

Somebody reported here some approach based on creating .wim image with Windows XP, but i can not The approach described on The Internet.

I believe, that my post was atleast little interesting.

#470 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:07 AM

Don't use Virtual Box but follow the description given here

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

and make use of VHD_XP_Create.exe and USB_XP_Fix.exe of IMG_XP package,

which are programs especially designed to give the result that you want.

2. Run VHD_XP_Create.exe to create XP-1.vhd and Grub4dos Boot Menu for Install of XP in VHD
- Select Local Harddisk as Target drive and select XP Setup ISO file located in root of Target Drive
3. Reboot and in Grub4dos menu select Start XP Setup on XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock driver
- XP-1.vhd has already NTFS compressed format, so you should NOT format at Setup, just keep settings
- Format XP-1.img inside XP Setup cannot be used, it results in corrupt message
4. After Reboot select Continue XP Setup and then Reboot to Start XP from Image XP-1.vhd

In that case the WinVBlock driver is automatically used when XP is Installed in the created VHD.

After Install of XP then you need to fix XP-1.vhd for booting from USB-drive by using USB_XP_Fix.exe
The fix will prevent BSOD 7B and will help to allow the XP VHD to boot on various hardware and so become Universal.

Instead of USB_XP_Fix.exe you can use IMG_XP_Compact.exe and the just created XP Source VHD

to make Portable or Mini XP VHD Image files booting with Grub4dos Menu on HDD or USB.

#471 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hello wimb
I Am very sorry, that i have started to think other procedure i believe You, that You had spend many many times and that i do not have chance to reach wanted results without following Yours instructions.

My problem is, that nobody want to send me .iso image, which would be set as bootable to work with Yours algorithms presented.

I do not want .iso with Windows XP installation files, i know, that it is not legal.
I only wanted to have .iso image with necessary binary bootable file nothink else. I wanted The .iso which would be set as bootable, only with this image.
So i would incorporate my legal XP files inside it.

Would You upload this .iso file for me please?

Imgburn application have one button to browse for .img bootable file, but i can not really to find it.

Or it is also illegal to distribute .iso file with bootable binary image? Nothink else? So nobody can upload it to public cloud?

Thank You very much for Yours answer.

May be, that also .iso image created by using Windows Unattended CD creator would work, but that i Am doing somethink wrong because i can not see, what is on The screen, because i Am visually impaired user with no sight.

I know, that somebody of us would say, why i AM doing such system administration thinks, if i AM visually impaired user.
But because of The unattended modes of Microsoft installer, i can do such complex thinks.

You can discuss with me by using personal conversation if You want.

And thank You very much for Yours answer.

#472 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Your problem seems to be to make Bootable XP Setup CD ISO file.
For that purpose you need to use bbie.exe to extract Boot Image bootsect.bin from Original bootable XP Setup CD

It is desctibed here http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553 in section 2

How to make XP Setup ISO File ?

- Use BBIE (see below) or Isobuster to Extract Boot Image bootsect.bin from Original bootable XP Setup CD
bbie will make image1.bin that you can copy as bootsect.bin to XP Setup source folder

As Example
BOOT_USBmakebt>bbie M:XP3_1201.iso
BBIE - Bart's Boot Image Extractor v1.0, © 2001, Bart Lagerweij
http://www.nu2.nu
will make BOOT_USBmakebtimage1.bin that you can rename as bootsect.bin

#473 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

bootsect.bin was Uploaded to Data File Host (see PM)

You can use it with ImgBurn combined with your XP Setup files to make bootable XP Setup CD ISO file

#474 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Unknown device

Default txtsetup.oem and WinVBlk.INF changed

[WinVBlockDriver]

"WinVBlock Bus"=WinVBlock,Root\WinVBlock, Detected\WinVBlock

"WinVBlock Bus WVBlk32"=WVBlk32,DETECTEDInternal\WVBlk32, Detected\WVBlk32
Be aware, this breaks .cat signing.

PNP does install WinVBlk.INF

I have also problem with Unknow device. I make mod INF file (only [WinVBlockDriver] section) and try install manually on WinXP installed OS. Now driver install but displays message that this driver is not supported by WinXP OS:

5214392m.png

and after reboot have BSOD ED - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME:

5205176m.png

P.S. I boot from IMG OS image not from VHD

#475 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

I make mod INF file (only [WinVBlockDriver] section) and try install manually on WinXP installed OS. Now driver install but displays message that this driver is not supported by WinXP OS:

Why do you edit [WinVBlockDriver] section only? This isn't a valid inf anymore.
If I remember correctly, there are more WVBlk32 sections to add too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users