Boot Windows 7 from USB hard disk

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#126 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Computers,movies,read/write,talking about philosophy and religion.
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

and then ? How can I fix it ?

#127 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

and then ? How can I fix it ?

Cannot say, but most probably the usbbootwatcher was disabled during the booting (or wasn't enabled at all and never started).

It's tricky business, the mechanism is not fully clear (to me at least). :lol:

jaclaz

#128 Peter O

Peter O
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:51 AM

I attempted to read & absorb the Tutorial but as usual I found I ended up with more questions than answers.
I know there are some willing to help but this tuff is well above the average user.
I refuse to refer to myself as a newb.

The truth is this stuff is highly technical, intended for those who aspire to gaining advanced skills.
During the last 6 months I had 3 PC crashes & in each case I could not boot from an XP install CD.
So what use would the above be - very likely would not work either.

Pete

#129 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

don't know if this is the right thread to post in so beg your pardon if not.
well my aim is to boot from a UNIVERSAL (this is the main goal) 10 gb win7sp1.vhd on usb hd either from bootmgr or through mapping the filedisk (not into ram).
so, I did the below steps:

1. installed win7 on vhd by applying the install.win onto it from another running win7
2. edited bcd to make the vhd present in win7 boot menu and so complete the win7.vhd setup
3. applied some tricks to the running win7.vhd (system restore off - no pagefile - no indexing - no hibernate)
4. installed last release of winvblock on the win7.vhd while running (used the wvblock,exe and net.exe)
5. restart. at this point winvblock is correctly installed and running.
here is the first problem: at every reboot the hw wizard starts and installs winvblock's disk driver, automatically search for it, and at the end asks if reboot.
6. anyway: win7.vhd correctly boots each through bootmgr or grub4dos.

at this point it should be needed to make the win7.vhd bootable from an usb device,

7. so I used usbootwatcher and It boots fine from usb.

8. manually applied the iastor.reg and intelppm tweak contained in img_xp.

well, here's the 2nd problem: no way to boot from my laptop and my netbook while all goes fine on several desktop PCs.

may anyone tell me where I'm wrong or missed some step?

#130 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

well, here's the 2nd problem: no way to boot from my laptop and my netbook while all goes fine on several desktop PCs.

may anyone tell me where I'm wrong or missed some step?

NO. <_<
http://homepages.tes...no-answers.html

Maybe if you post adequate, EXACT details of what happens, what errors you are getting, etc. etc.:
http://homepage.ntlw...ard-litany.html
someone could.

It would be nice if you could choose ONE of the TWO (laptop OR notebook) (and not expect to "fix" both at the same time) and you could start a new thread describing the PC hardware, the procedure followed, the exact errors, etc., etc.

:)
Wonko

#131 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

NO. :cheers:
http://homepages.tes...no-answers.html

Maybe if you post adequate, EXACT details of what happens, what errors you are getting, etc. etc.:
http://homepage.ntlw...ard-litany.html
someone could.

It would be nice if you could choose ONE of the TWO (laptop OR notebook) (and not expect to "fix" both at the same time) and you could start a new thread describing the PC hardware, the procedure followed, the exact errors, etc., etc.

:cheers:
Wonko

Wonko....I know the site you linked!
I've been hoping to be able to avoid it at least this time !!! :dubbio:
:ph34r:

actually there is nothing special to mention: at the animated win7 screen the pc reboots.
de-activating the automatic restart via f8 doesn't show any bsod.
it simply freezes at a black screen and I must press the power button.
later I re-connected the usb-hd to the desktop PCs and it boots fine again, and there's nothing to mention into the event viewer.
my netbook is a Acer Aspire One (Ahci is on but it's on the desktop PCs too)
my laptop is a Acer Aspire AS5745G.
but mainly my question is: did I make the right steps or there's anything wrong (or possibly wrong).
after this is estabishled I think will be easier, for me too, to collaborate into finding a solution.

EDIT p.s.: all right: I'm going to try again only with the netbook which is more important for me. but as said sympthoms are the same.

#132 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

well I've tried to reproduce the issue on my netbook and again, after connecting the USBHD to a PC where it works ok, I've found some advices like the below starting from yesterday, at the first attempts to boot the usb vhd on the netbook:

Posted Image

strangely I didn't notice it yesterday :dubbio:

mentioning iastor driver, but as said I've APPLIED THE IASTOR.REG.
and more: after that, I've applied a shutdown script in gpedit, and the script executes the iastor.reg at every shutdown without success.
may I try anything else?

#133 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

mentioning iastor driver, but as said I've APPLIED THE IASTOR.REG.
and more: after that, I've applied a shutdown script in gpedit, and the script executes the iastor.reg at every shutdown without success.
may I try anything else?

Besides the iaStor registry you need also to provide the driver files e.g. iaStor.sys

May be you can use

pnputil.exe -a c:\drivers\*.inf 

to -> Add all packages in c:\drivers\
to Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

http://technet.micro...798(WS.10).aspx

Adding drivers in Windows 7 is quite different as what is done in XP
For Windows 7 you cannot simply add drivers to system32\drivers

This is NOT yet implemented in IMG_XP package :dubbio:

http://driverpacks.n...verpacks/latest

Use Windows 7 (x86) DriverPacks - Chipset + MassStorage + Processor
e.g. see folder DP_MassStorage_wnt6-x86_1003\x86\M\Intel

Or make use of IMG_XP\makebt\IASTOR\winall\Driver :ph34r:

#134 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

@wimb
first of all thank you for the info. I didn't know the pnputil.exe.

I've been supposing (maybe wrongly) that the iastor driver working with the desktop PC that is also in ahci mode, could be good for the netbook too.
Now I'm gonna try your suggest and I will feedback.

#135 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

@wimb
well here's a trouble.
on my netbook (windows 7 ultimate x86) in c:\windows\drivers there's a iastorV.sys
right click > properties > details >

Original name iaStor.sys

File version 8.6.2.1014

product name Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver

I feel in some way that this is the core of the problem.
installing (via pnputil.exe) the iastor provided by DPs as suggested, produces a 7b bsod on my netbook, as expectable, but now in my desktop pc too (where the vhd previously booted fine) whilst earlier, detaching the USB-HD from netbook and re-attaching it to the desktop, it booted again normally.
no problem: I obviously have a copy of the vhd.
but I have no idea about how to proceed from now on.

and more: I would remark that my goal it's the same as described above: an UNIVERSAL win 7 VHD booting from usb.
probably, after solving this issue, the "UNIVERSALITY" will be if not at 100% at least at, say...80% (?)
thanks in advance for help.

#136 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

@wimb thank you for putting me on the right way.

the issue seems finally solved.

I've booted the win7.VHD attaching the USB HOST to the desktop PC where it always booted fine.
opened Device manager > updated the Controller ATA standard AHCI 1.0 pointing to the win7 DPs Intel mass storage folder.
after reboot I've noticed in \system32\drivers folder both the iastorV.sys and the new installed iastor.sys.

but trying to boot the VHD attaching the USB HOST to the netbook produced a bsod again, so:
rebooted into a win7 on HD and applied the IMG_XP reg tweaks to the win7.VHD using USB_XP_Fix.exe.
Now it works.
hope to be useful to someone else.

#137 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

@davlak

Great that you solved the problem.
I think I understand what is going on ....

iastorV.sys driver did not give the support that you need, so you installed iastor.sys driver

I know that USB_XP_Fix.exe does not install iastor.sys driver in Windows 7 OS
but the registry fixes that it makes (also for iastor driver) will be OK for both XP and Windows 7

I need to improve USB_XP_Fix.exe so that it will also install (or add) iastor.sys driver correct for the case of Windows 7.

#138 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

I know that USB_XP_Fix.exe does not install iastor.sys driver in Windows 7 OS
but the registry fixes that it makes (also for iastor driver) will be OK for both XP and Windows 7
hen changing
I need to improve USB_XP_Fix.exe so that it will also install (or add) iastor.sys driver correct for the case of Windows 7.

yes it would be very useful! much than manually applying the reg tweaks.
thanks again.
I think that at this point the iastorv.inf and related .sys and registry value could be removed because probably it may confound the OS when changing HW (if a ahci controller is present)
pnputil can do it s I've seen. I will try and report.
;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users