12 replies to this topic

#1 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:48 AM

I use WinPE for everything regarding backing up and restoring, boot remediation, bare metal file transfer, sleuthing, etc.

But the lack of having a decent shell for WinPE has bothered me for a long time. I don't like anything anyone else has created, and I thought I could do it better.

Introducing RunBarPE
https://codeberg.org...yboogy/RunBarPE

https://rumble.com/v...-stayboogy.html

RunBarPE.png

So a few years ago I created a program to act as a shell for WinPE environments. But, it was met with some harsh criticism here at reboot.pro, mainly from a bunch of jealous losers who couldn't do this even if they wanted to...

Before I would have to edit the source code and recompile if I wanted to add a new tool to my launcher, then edit my WinPE, and test. With the new additions, now I can just edit my WinPE source and be done.

This program opens a window that has 18 radio buttons, 16 of which are customizable so that you can one-click run any program or cmd/bat file or script or task while in WinPE (programs are limited to your WinPE capabilities not RunBarPE).

The program is customizable, using the RunBarPE.exe.config file. With the config file you can define both custom button titles and custom tools to launch from the buttons.

RunBarPE1.png

RunBarPE2.png

RunBarPE3.png

RunBarPE4.png

Edited by stayboogy, 27 November 2023 - 07:57 AM.

• TheHive and vvurat like this

#2 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 November 2023 - 10:44 AM

I am working on making this where the you don't get an error if the buttons aren't programmed, either way the program will still run if you don't have the buttons programmed and you select "continue" on the popup.

I am working the code to make the buttons conditional on whether there is a key present in the configfile or not

#3 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2023 - 07:13 AM

RunBarPE by stayboogy

user customizable, single exe, single configfile, WinPE Shell & Launcher

RunBarPE-thistothis.png

Video Demonstration

How To Use

1) your WinPe must have these components added to it

NetFx
Dot3Svc

2) optionally add these components for full system support

WMI
Scripting
PowerShell
StorageWMI
DismCmdlets
EnhancedStorage
FMAPI
FontSupport-WinRE
PlatformId
WDS-Tools
WinReCfg
lp

3) Modify WinPE\Windows\System32\winpeshl.ini like so

[LaunchApp]
AppPath = X:\Path\To\Where\You\Copied\RunbarPE\RunBarPE.exe

4) copy "RunBarPE.exe" and "RunBarPE.exe.config" to the location inside your WinPE source you specified in step 3

5) edit "RunBarPe.exe.config" to correspond to the tools' paths' you would like to be able to run with just a click of a button.

<add key="button#" value="X:\Path\To\Some\Exe\Or\Task\Or\CMD\ETC"/>
    <add key="button#_title" value="Whatever You Want it Called - Limited Space"/>

5a) So Buttons 1 - 3 (and so on to 16) would be defined as (examples):

<appsettings>

<add key="button1" value="taskmgr.exe"/>
    <add key="button1_title" value="TASKMGR"/>

<add key="button2" value="cmd.exe"/>
    <add key="button2_title" value="CMD"/>

<add key="button3" value="regedit.exe"/>
    <add key="button3_title" value="REGEDIT"/>

</appsettings>

5b) Buttons can defined in any order or there can be any number of buttons from 1 to 16

RunBarPE-examples.png

6) rebuild your source WinPE

7) test, tweak, verify, and enjoy!

Edited by stayboogy, 28 November 2023 - 07:17 AM.

#4 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2023 - 07:14 AM

Mod Please Delete This Post.

I would really like to have the Third Post Replace the First Post if possible.  I can no longer edit the first post and I have made some significant changes to the code.

Edited by stayboogy, 28 November 2023 - 07:17 AM.

#5 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:41 AM

supports both x86 and x64 in the same exe file

#6 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 03:25 AM

Looks good. Like the video.

So a few years ago I created a program to act as a shell for WinPE environments. But, it was met with some harsh criticism here at reboot.pro, mainly from a bunch of jealous losers who couldn't do this even if they wanted to...

lol!

I would really like to have the Third Post Replace the First Post if possible.  I can no longer edit the first post and I have made some significant changes to the code.

Something happened to the reboot forum and im not sure if moderator have rights to move post around.

I am working on making this where the you don't get an error if the buttons aren't programmed, either way the program will still run if you don't have the buttons programmed and you select "continue" on the popup.

Cant you make the buttons where when you click on them open a window to select the file you want to run then add it to the config file.

:magic:

#7 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 December 2023 - 01:52 AM

lol!

Something happened to the reboot forum and im not sure if moderator have rights to move post around.

Cant you make the buttons where when you click on them open a window to select the file you want to run then add it to the config file.

I have since updated the code/app

https://codeberg.org...gy_PEXECutioner

https://rumble.com/v...single-exe.html

I could program it to do what you ask, however I don't really see the need for it.  just edit the configfile in notepad, done.

but, I am working on a file explorer extension for this as well, so maybe in the future I will add what you asking as a right-click feature.

#8 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 December 2023 - 01:58 AM

lol!

Also, thanks for checking it out and replying, I greatly appreciate it!!!

#9 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:29 AM

Taking the time to create the videos with the explanations helps to better understand the the usage of PEXECutioner.

Any chance to add tool tips when hovering over buttons.

What's the "Halt" option for, in this case.

Its a bit hard to find the download link to the zip file.

Like the fact that when you open another instance the new one doesn't overlap the previous. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://phoenixnap.c...s-relative-path

can you make it to use a Relative path to apps instead of an  Absolute path. 

• Absolute path. The complete, unambiguous route to a file or directory from the system root.

"X:\Tools\note.exe" /

• Relative path. The location of a file or directory in relation to the current working directory.

"..\Tools\note.exe" /

relative paths for files closer to the root directory. For example:

• The .. entry represents the parent directory.
  • The . entry represents the current directory.

I am working on a file explorer extension for this as well, so maybe in the future I will add what you asking as a right-click feature.

OK.smile.png

icons

Attached File  PEXECutioner02.ico   4.53KB   1 downloads

Attached File  PEXECutioner04.ico   111.5KB   0 downloads

#10 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2024 - 07:20 PM

Taking the time to create the videos with the explanations helps to better understand the the usage of PEXECutioner.

Any chance to add tool tips when hovering over buttons.

What's the "Halt" option for, in this case.

Its a bit hard to find the download link to the zip file.

Like the fact that when you open another instance the new one doesn't overlap the previous. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can you make it to use a Relative path to apps instead of an  Absolute path. 

• Absolute path. The complete, unambiguous route to a file or directory from the system root.

"X:\Tools\note.exe" /

• Relative path. The location of a file or directory in relation to the current working directory.

"..\Tools\note.exe" /

relative paths for files closer to the root directory. For example:

• The .. entry represents the parent directory.
  • The . entry represents the current directory.

OK.smile.png

icons

attachicon.gif PEXECutioner02.ico

attachicon.gif PEXECutioner04.ico

Halt is the terminal command in Unix/Linux to "Power Off" and it fits in the small button box lol

I am trying to keep it clean so no tool tips or hover tool tips planned at all.  I think these things make it look awful, plus, in a PE environ like this is meant for, I want the bare minimum of functions that I need in this tool compared to what is already available out there.

Relative paths already work, as long as you type it correctly.  I just put "absolute paths" in the help file because most people know how to use them properly.  Relative paths vary depending on the program.  For this one, your relative path will be in regard to the PEXECutioner.exe and not System32/sysWOW64 directories like some would be.

I will make a release for the PEXECutioner repo, not sure how I missed that before, but thank you for mentioning that.

Also, thank you for the icons.  I was working on a few myself but I never liked how they displayed when in WinPE.  I had. a running man one that I liked that made an "R" in a way when I was still naming it RunBarPE

I really appreciate you, my friend.

Edited by stayboogy, 19 January 2024 - 07:21 PM.

#11 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2024 - 07:35 PM

I updated the repo with a release, and updated the Readme with information and a video demo link.

#12 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 04:44 AM

mmm! Not able to find the update file.

Went to

https://codeberg.org...EXECutioner/v14

not it the releases folder either

https://codeberg.org...h/main/Releases

#13 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:14 AM

ico run

Attached File  PEXECutioner05.ico   61.76KB   4 downloads

#14 system770

system770
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 31 January 2024 - 09:43 PM

I use WinPE for everything regarding backing up and restoring, boot remediation, bare metal file transfer, sleuthing, etc.

But the lack of having a decent shell for WinPE has bothered me for a long time. I don't like anything anyone else has created, and I thought I could do it better.

Introducing RunBarPE
https://codeberg.org...yboogy/RunBarPE

RunBarPE.png

Before I would have to edit the source code and recompile if I wanted to add a new tool to my launcher, then edit my WinPE, and test. With the new additions, now I can just edit my WinPE source and be done.

This program opens a window that has 18 radio buttons, 16 of which are customizable so that you can one-click run any program or cmd/bat file or script or task while in WinPE (programs are limited to your WinPE capabilities not RunBarPE).

The program is customizable, using the RunBarPE.exe.config file. With the config file you can define both custom button titles and custom tools to launch from the buttons.

RunBarPE1.png

RunBarPE2.png

RunBarPE3.png

RunBarPE4.png

Great work, thank you! Is there a way to add the programs with a file picker, instead of just coding the location manually?

#15 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2024 - 06:11 AM

mmm! Not able to find the update file.

Went to

https://codeberg.org...EXECutioner/v14

not it the releases folder either

https://codeberg.org...h/main/Releases

My bad, hang on I will fix that

PEXECutioner-v1.4.RC.zip

Edited by stayboogy, 05 February 2024 - 06:33 AM.

#16 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 February 2024 - 06:35 AM

Great work, thank you! Is there a way to add the programs with a file picker, instead of just coding the location manually?

anything is possible, however, I doubt I add this functionality.  I will consider it though.  

I like the configfile for changing things on the fly for multiple winpe builds.

#17 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 07:45 AM

My bad, hang on I will fix that

PEXECutioner-v1.4.RC.zip

Thanks!

Background change and taskbar for future sounds good,

#18 stayboogy

stayboogy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 February 2024 - 12:28 AM

Here is an updated video of the 1.14 build

https://rumble.com/v...single-exe.html

Edited by stayboogy, 06 February 2024 - 12:29 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users