Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#76 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

OOPS!
Your log is 'great' :)
To be very sure that everything runs well, you include ALL versions of EVERY script you can get!

Now seriously: There are a lot of duplicates which do not make any sence.

Just one sample:
You include ImgBurn version 5 and 3. The second installation will surely overwrite the first one. But maybe there are still some unique data from the first one which disturb the second one ...

I think you are making a common newbie's mistake: Put EVERYTHING into my build.

Try to use Amalux's template ORIGINALLY for start.

If that works (I'm sure!) add scripts step by step.
Always remember: You really do NOT need all available scripts!

And be careful that you do not add a newer version of a script in addition! Delete the older version
if the name changed!

Peter

Hey, of course you are right!
I started with the original script but when I was supposed to add those extra network drivers for XPSP2 i thought i had to download them and clicked on the download button.
After everything worked I wanted to start new.
Regards
Johannes

#77 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

That VirtNet script still has issues afaik, see here (is that where you found it?). I'm still not clear what you're trying to do, that script is for VMware - If that's what you're after, good luck! I don't like VMware and it gives me a big headache :) - Others here seem to like it and maybe can help you with a working setup :(

ps, just noticed in your log you have both PENet 27b and 32 versions, you have to be careful (as also pointed out by Peter) when adding updated scripts; either remove previous version or at least de-select them to avoid conflicts.

Hi,
as I told Peter, this big build was an accident.
Now back to my issue.
I am not interested in any VMware.
My only pupose is to have a LiveXP that can access the internet and connect to my network.
So I either need a script for my hardware driver or any virtual driver that will do the job.
Regards
Johannes

#78 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hi,
as I told Peter, this big build was an accident.
Now back to my issue.
I am not interested in any VMware.
My only pupose is to have a LiveXP that can access the internet and connect to my network.
So I either need a script for my hardware driver or any virtual driver that will do the job.
Regards
Johannes

So, even with 'NET drivers for XP SP2' checked, your NIC is not recognized? If you run MyNIC (or hostNIC) do you see your hardware listed? Have you tried adding your host's drivers in PENet?
Attached File  penadddrvrs.JPG   12.13KB   60 downloads

What happened? Provide descriptions and logs of real tests (not just throwing everything in to see what happens), you need to start with a simple build and try one (or two) new scripts/drivers at a time; carefully testing and documenting the results. Give details on NIC card(s) you're looking to support, maybe someone here has this hardware and can test or supply driver script.

#79 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

So, even with 'NET drivers for XP SP2' checked, your NIC is not recognized? If you run MyNIC (or hostNIC) do you see your hardware listed? Have you tried adding your host's drivers in PENet?

What happened? Provide descriptions and logs of real tests (not just throwing everything in to see what happens), you need to start with a simple build and try one (or two) new scripts/drivers at a time; carefully testing and documenting the results. Give details on NIC card(s) you're looking to support, maybe someone here has this hardware and can test or supply driver script.

OK, tomorrow I will try a new build from scratch.
I have a NVIDI nForce networking controller.
I will just upload the folder from the installation disk, but maybe someone has already a driverscript that will work

#80 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

Johannes, if like you can click on my signature. It will get you to the NaughtyPE mainpage. I have there a short step by step discription of how to integrate own drivers. It's exactly the same procedure with LiveXP.

:)

#81 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

OK, tomorrow I will try a new build from scratch.
I have a NVIDI nForce networking controller.
I will just upload the folder from the installation disk, but maybe someone has already a driverscript that will work

I usually use SmartDriverBackup to collect the drivers from the host and put them in %GlobalTemplates%\Drivers\. %GlobalTemplates% points to %baseDir%\Workbench\Common (already in your build), so just create a sub-folder named Drivers and copy to that the driver folders created by SDBackup (or other); then point to the driver folder in the script UI (in WinBuilder) to import to PE. In this case your using PENetwork (but other scripts do similar). It looks like this for my 3com drivers folder:
Attached File  penet3c.JPG   12.37KB   68 downloads

The drivers folder just contains the .inf and .sys files collected by SmartDriverBackup but I assume you can use the whole 'Ethernet' folder you have.

--
btw, did you ever try myNIC (or hostNIC), what happened?
Attached File  mynicwb.JPG   22.01KB   68 downloads
Attached File  mynicwb2.JPG   35.52KB   74 downloads

#82 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

OK, I started with your advanced project.
I left everything as downloaded. Then I downloaded myNic and fiddled about a bit.
Finally I managed to create a script for my Nvidia nForce networking contoller and added it to the PE Network Manager.
The compilation went smoothly, then I restartet my computer with LiveXP.
Pe Networking Manager could not find any networking card so I started hostNic.
The program found my contoller and (apparently) installed it.
But myNic didn't see anything and I could not access the internet.
I hope my log helps a bit.

#83 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:20 PM

And where is the log? :)

Peter

#84 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

Strange, the attachment manager says it's here.
Anyway I upladed it again

#85 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Just attaching is not enough, you also have to include it in the post by clicking on the + sign.

#86 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

Just as a general hint, Nvidia notoriously uses 2 drivers for one device. If this is also the case with your network i do not know.

@Johannes
Go to your device manager on the machine PE should be run (hoping your host OS is xp or w2k3!!!)
Call up the properties of the network card, switch to drivers tab and click on driver details.
Write down the list of files named there.
You need to have at least all the .sys files and the .inf file(s) that belong to them, in your PE. Sometimes even the .dll are needed!

How do you check if the .inf are included?
Make a search in the PE - inf folder for the names of the .sys files. (search in documents)
You need to find them all!

Post back with results.

#87 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

I left everything as downloaded. Then I downloaded myNic and fiddled about a bit.
Finally I managed to create a script for my Nvidia nForce networking contoller and added it to the PE Network Manager.

Sorry that I cannot help here.

I wrote the myNIC and hostNIC script separately.

myNIC is thought to transfer your host driver to the PE during build.
hostNIC is thought to transfer your host driver to the PE during run of the PE.

hostNIC+ seems to be a mix of them, and I do not know what they are supposed to do / doing.

Peter

#88 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Just as a general hint, Nvidia notoriously uses 2 drivers for one device. If this is also the case with your network i do not know.

@Johannes
Go to your device manager on the machine PE should be run (hoping your host OS is xp or w2k3!!!)
Call up the properties of the network card, switch to drivers tab and click on driver details.
You need to have at least all the .sys files and the .inf file(s) that belong to them, in your PE. Sometimes even the .dll are needed!

Make a search in the PE - inf folder for the names of the .sys files. (search in documents)

Post back with results.

Ok, this time I tried SmartDriverBackup to include everything.
Unfortunately there is still no networkcard to be found in the DeviceManager.
I am at a loss.
Here is the new log

#89 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

Ok, this time I tried SmartDriverBackup to include everything.
Unfortunately there is still no networkcard to be found in the DeviceManager.
I am at a loss.
Here is the new log

Maybe you start to understand now:
(As far as I remember, I already told you similar before, when I admired the high script number of your first PE)

Not the QUANTITY of scripts is responsible for the wanted result (You now have around 10 different scripts which more or less do 'something' due to networking).

The QUALITY (or here better the SELECTION) can help.

Maybe you start with a simple project like nativeEx_barebone_075 (in my signature) and test it in qEmu.
That can be done by just download, define your source cd and 'Play'.

If that works, you may try to add myNIc, choose all drivers myNIC shows, and burn an ISO.

If that works, ok.
If that does not work, come back, including the log of PENetwork.

Peter

#90 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

@Johannes

Post back with results.

OK, i checked and found out that 1 file was missing. (fdco1ins.dll)
so i copied it to my driver directory and played again.
No luck, PENetworkmanager doesn't find any card.
Then I checked the device manager. No network card but plenty of ?
I could repair most by manually pointing to my driver directory.
So it seems that the directory that I included in the PE Networking Manager is not inserted in the PE
Maybe thats the reason.
Anyway, here is the newest loffile

#91 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Maybe you start to understand now:
(As far as I remember, I already told you similar before, when I admired the high script number of your first PE)

Not the QUANTITY of scripts is responsible for the wanted result (You now have around 10 different scripts which more or less do 'something' due to networking).

The QUALITY (or here better the SELECTION) can help.

Maybe you start with a simple project like nativeEx_barebone_075 (in my signature) and test it in qEmu.
That can be done by just download, define your source cd and 'Play'.

If that works, you may try to add myNIc, choose all drivers myNIC shows, and burn an ISO.

If that works, ok.
If that does not work, come back, including the log of PENetwork.

Peter

I got your point but I thought i'll be on the save side if I take one of those prefixed builds.
Actually I was afraid I might miss one important driver or program.
I will try the barbone tomorrow, let's see what happens then.

Could not wait.
ran the barebone, PEnetwork manager found a Realtek RTL8139 Card (first time ever) and Qemu accessed the internet.
How comes? Whats the difference?
then I put the target files on my stick (PE to USB) and got a blue screen

OK, burnt the ISO and restarted.
I always get a reset after the first (white on black) setup message

#92 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

@Johannes
It's pretty pointless trying to help you, if you don't do what we tell you.
So i wish you good luck with your own fiddeling.

#93 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

@Johannes

Hey man, there are 3 of you and I am only one!
I am trying my best to check out everything but i have only one computer and a job to do.
So please be a bit patient.
:(

#94 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

I am trying my best to check out everything but i have only one computer and a job to do.

I can be patient, and I think Medevil and Amalux, too, if you confirm us, that you are working, by strictly following the 'forum rules', especially the ammendment #1 at the end.

If you did not find them yet, the link to the rules is in the very upper left of the page.

Peter :(

#95 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

hehehe, well in fact 4 :( , i keep reading what is going on. anyway, Welcome to boot-land , Just an advice from the newest member of this 4 here, Answer will rise if you are dedicated to find enough.

Your case takes my attention because of driver issue, virtual box ethernet drivers acts like similar way you wrote with nvidia ethernet, also your Ethernet.zip attachment before is proper (i checked with dps lan packages, exactly same driver there), i pm an idea to amalux. As i havent tested "Newcomer's Tutorial" files better to wait amalux reply here.

Dont worry, if you are dedicated and patient enough, you will find the solution (if there is any) with others help from boot-land.

Keep an eye here, cu later.

#96 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

I'm crazed at work today and can only give a short response here (I'll have more time later) but you seem to be getting plenty of help.

Then I downloaded myNic...

It's already in the build, along with hostNIC; hostNIC attempts to directly install your NIC while in PE but you still need to run PENetwork to start the service!. MyNIC is just included in case you want to grab a script for later inclusion in your builds (so you don't have to run hostNIC each time).

I managed to create a script for my Nvidia nForce networking contoller and added it to the PE Network Manager.

If you created a script, this needs to be included in your next build by adding it to %baseDir%\Projects\LiveXP\Drivers\3 Network, you can't add a script to PENetwork Manager, only point to actual drivers!

I'll look at the rest of the thread later, gotta run...

#97 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:16 AM

I can be patient, and I think Medevil and Amalux, too, if you confirm us, that you are working, by strictly following the 'forum rules', especially the ammendment #1 at the end.

If you did not find them yet, the link to the rules is in the very upper left of the page.

Peter :(

OK man,
got it!
Trying to do my best. I am quite suprised (and thankful) about all the help I get but still a little confused that it comes from different corners. So I am jumping around a bit and therefor might forget some bits and pieces.
But you can always improve

#98 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

I'm crazed at work today and can only give a short response here (I'll have more time later) but you seem to be getting plenty of help.

It's already in the build, along with hostNIC; hostNIC attempts to directly install your NIC while in PE but you still need to run PENetwork to start the service!. MyNIC is just included in case you want to grab a script for later inclusion in your builds (so you don't have to run hostNIC each time).

If you created a script, this needs to be included in your next build by adding it to %baseDir%\Projects\LiveXP\Drivers\3 Network, you can't add a script to PENetwork Manager, only point to actual drivers!

I'll look at the rest of the thread later, gotta run...

OK, I added the nvidia script to 3 Network, reduced the build quite a bit and played
In Qemu PENetwork recognized a Realtec adapter, installed it and i could access the internet!
Then I put the target files on my stick (PE to USB) and started new. I have XP Pro by the way.
This time, PENetwork didn't find anything. I ran HostNic, it found my nvidia card, installed it but still no card to befound in PEnetwork.
myNic didn't see anything
What next?

#99 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

OK, I added the nvidia script to 3 Network, reduced the build quite a bit and played
In Qemu PENetwork recognized a Realtec adapter, installed it and i could access the internet!
Then I put the target files on my stick (PE to USB) and started new. I have XP Pro by the way.
This time, PENetwork didn't find anything. I ran HostNic, it found my nvidia card, installed it but still no card to befound in PEnetwork.
myNic didn't see anything
What next?

After I explained sufficiently in my previous post, I think, I join Medevil's club

@Johannes

Peter

#100 Johannes

Johannes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

After I explained sufficiently in my previous post, I think, I join Medevil's club

Peter

Now I don't know what to say.
What did I do wrong?
I answered Amalux caus he told me i did a mistake with my script.
So I corrected it and ran a reduced build to get a smaller log.
What was wrong? I am answereing 3 guys and this gets confusing.
So please state what I should do or what I did without refering to any rule pages.

I ran your barbone but had problems. I could post no log cause I could not find one (missing button)
And I have no idea how to retrieve a log from PEnetwork

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users