#1 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Lately while browsing through pages of XDA, I came across a nice idea they have brought up very recently. They are calling it as XDA Assist. Let us learn from horse's mouth.

The mission of XDA Assist is to provide basic help to those who have tried searching but can't find what they are looking for and need assistance. This is not a "helpdesk" providing technical assistance but more to point you in the correct direction with your problem. Perhaps you can't find posts on how to root your phone, install custom recovery or maybe you have questions about how to navigate and use features on the site.

Our XDA Assist team will give you links to threads/forums that are relevant to your problem. You may be pointed towards guides and instructions that can be quite complex, so you will still need to read carefully and be cautious before attempting to make software changes to your device. It is essential you are in the correct forum for your device model; what works for one can ruin another.

Just to add to the Welcome of the XDA Assist forum, please notice we have a group of Recognized Contributors, that have been establish and trained to help/assist Members with their questions. 

The "Gate Keepers" if you will, these RC's that have been trained and positioned here on duty for the XDA Assist Forum, to provide those needing assistance. Now these RC's will open the Gate for you and provide you the links needed for your issues. They will not make the travel with you, as "Gate Keepers" they will stand their duties here, you must make the travel into the Forums to learn on your own, it is your Device you seek Development on....But rest assure there will be more RC's and very helpful Members in the Forums we provided to you, they will provide more assistance if you require.

Now these established RC's with the blue tag only, under the Profile names are the only Members that should be providing links/assistance in these XDA Assist Forums. 

I ask any and all other RC's to refrain from posting within these thread of the XDA Assist. We thank you for seeking in providing to this Forum, but as mentioned, there is required training that goes along with the blue tag these RC's have and additionally any other Members we also thank you, but again please allow the XDA Assist Staff to address the issues here. 

How about opening a similar section in out board an employ the Italian Finder on duty?

References:

#2 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1070 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Not sure if I'm simply being a bit dim, however I fail to see the relevance of adding this feature on Reboot.pro. This forum (and also boot-land.net prior to the name change) has in my opinion been built upon the principle of assisting others from day 1 - Wonko (and Jaclaz before him) has been pointing people in the right direction (and helping them to help themselves) for years - albeit in his own (sometimes) grumpy way.

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Let's start by defining "to assist":

http://www.economist...-speaking-union

Some detect a European form of global English (globish): a patois with English physiognomy, cross-dressed with continental cadences and syntax, a train of EU institutional jargon and sequins of linguistic false friends (mostly French). In Brussels “to assist” means to be present, not to help; “to control” means to check, rather than to exercise power; “adequate” means appropriate or suitable, rather than (barely) sufficient; and mass nouns are countable, such as advices, informations and aids.

:whistling:

However it is nice how people is looking for activities I should carry out.  :) (or finding new names for the old activities)

:duff:

Wonko

#4 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Let's start by defining "to assist":

http://www.economist...-speaking-union

To my surprise, the whole "idea" boiled down to what-support-is-what-help-is-and-blah-blah.  :P

However it is nice how people is looking for activities I should carry out.   :) (or finding new names for the old activities)

So, enjoying your promotion, eh? We can't let you be jobless, it's a permanent post you are being offered.

#5 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1070 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

As an alternative to finding additional employment for Wonko (that he might not actually want), we could just create a tutorial to demonstrate how to use google and other search engines more effectively - this should include a subsection on how to use the search function in this forum. Then if we could actually get people to read the search results we would not only not require Reboot assist, we would also reduce the need for Wonko to post by an estimated 50% ;) :whistling:

This might result in the additional benefit of his remaining posts being less grumpy :P

If we combine this with the following statement (one of my personal favourite acronyms) in nice big text (possibly in pretty colours and flashing/sparkling)...
RTFM!
...then it's a big thumbsup from me - :thumbsup:

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

If we combine this with the following statement (one of my personal favourite acronyms) in nice big text (possibly in pretty colours and flashing/sparkling)...
RTFM!
...then it's a big thumbsup from me - :thumbsup:

You should add a hyperlink to: http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=RTFM&l=1
(people would be to d@mn lazy to actually search for the meaning of the acronym ;) and the result will help also for STFW and GIYF :smiling9:)

Wonko

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

in Brussels “to assist” means to be present, not to help; “to control” means to check, rather than to exercise power;

Remarkably accurate statement. In my mother language "assistir" is more often associated with "to watch". Could be used in the same manner as understood in English but we have more specific terms for that purpose (e.g.: ajudar).

With this said, xda-developers has a huge number of forum sections. With a part of them being empty when some cellphone model fails to get traction and user attention. On our side we have a significant number of sections but they're more or less structured on a tree fashion so that users can incrementally be more specific about the topic they want to discuss.

The problem you highlight is real. Some different solutions were attempted before. From wikis, to lists of links pointing to relevant topics, to instant search tools that find topics as you type. Right now we have the "tutorials" section where any member can post relevant topics of things happening around the forum but that isn't used frequently.

Some ideas about the assistant role:

92768.strip.sunday.gif

2324.strip.gif

:cheers:

#8 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Some ideas about the assistant role:

Much liked.  :lol:  :D  :o

• Brito likes this

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

While talking dilbert, what about the "spanish story about a guy named ..." :dubbio:

http://dilbert.com/s...mic/1995-12-10/

;)

or:

http://dilbert.com/s...mic/1994-11-30/

Wonko

• Brito likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users