#26 jangxon

jangxon
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

Hello,

I like this initiative and would certainly be present.

Some topics I'd like to see focused:
- Booting .vhd Windows
- PXE/http Windows booting
- Running Windows from USB media
- Slimming Windows size

Sorry for just suggesting Windows related topics.

#27 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

@jangxon

Are you practising how to post on IPB forum pages?

#28 kmecik

kmecik
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Wish I could go but no cash!!!!

#29 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Honestly I don't think that such an effort will have much participation as U.S. VISA is still too costly for countries like India.

Embedded in the idea is that of giving people the opportunity of a life time that might not otherwise have...
Though it's not of value to everyone, it's worth something...

Have to agree with Wonko. When i need to fly half way around the world to attend something, it better be in a nice place.
Washington is not a place that comes to mind first.

Believe me, there is more in that city than you imagine ...
as for the beach, it's 2 hours away, or you can go to an artificial one less half a hour away ...
just bring the nice picture with you, we'll make it poster size to make you feel good.

Is there anything else that would speak for Washington?

:cheers:

Seeing me!... :D

Joke aside, there are many other groups meeting in D.C. Everything has a branch here, from religion, to *any* serious business venture. The convention center in this city (3 whole city blocks) gets packed with people flying in for conferences from all over the world. The one that baffled me the most was a top doctors conference that cost each participant something like $30,000 for a seat. Some peole that could not attend were following the broadcast from abroad. I have no clue what they were doing, but I do know something: this pplace has he infrastructure to accomplish *anything*. I could go in more details, but suffice it to say that the US is not world class for show ...
They are not where they are by mistake. Come see for yourself.
Granted, you have to experience it to understand it, but trust me when I say that the system in this place is outstanding. The way they work is without boubt something to experience. Just hanging around, even if you do not get the opportunity to get hired, is a life changing experience.
Traveling opens the mind. Traveling to the US changes your outlook of thing a bit. Something to consider...
Just wondering: why did these doctors pay so much, fly in, when they could have watched it in the comfort of their own countries? (maybe networking is worth the trip?)

More than that (you know geeks at conventions tend to gather in dark rooms in front of little LCD screens and keyboards ;)), we should find a location which is not only barycentrical equidistant from the countries where partecipants live, but also - due to the different income people may have available - correct this distances with lowest travel and accomodation costs.

I mean, if one has a monthly income of (say) US$ 2,000, he/she may be able to spend (say) half of that (US$ 1,000) for this conference without much problems, but if the monthly income is US$ 200, even with the greatest effort spending 5 months income for it is unpracticable.

Wonko

I have in mind to start some kind of sponsorship, but I had to wait to see the responses. I expected that some would have wanted to attend without being able to afford it. The technology will make it possible to attend, and the friendships will also make it possible. By building bonds of frienship that are more than words, we can all live a better life.
I propose that those of us who can offer some help to the less fortunate: let's face it, bot all of us get paid in dollars. And when your income is $2,000 per year (which happens in other countries very easilly), it's difficult for you to attend, irrespective of your smarts or contribution. I think we should try to encourage some of the talent around here by offering to fund part (if not all) of their trip,based on the needs.
I tend to lean towards those that are the most active in the community, but that's a personal bias.

As way of sponsorship, I can personaly house 1 or 2 people and take care of the whole stay (transportation, food, entertainment fess, ...) and if you are a people person and do not mind sharing, you might be able to stay by some of my friends.
And if you really don't mind, my house is not a mansion as sambul alluded, but you are welcome to crash here. We have people over every year, and some times we have people sleeping on the floor...
If you don't mind, then you are welcome! I'll send your ambassy the guarantees they need for your stay here, and will try to make it as pleasant as possible.
The offer is on the table.

On another note, there is always room for smart people in "The Land Of The Free and The Home of The Brave" (US). ALWAYS. It's the bottom that's crowded. I would like to see how we can network with some of the other groups to give you opportunities you might not otherwise have, and hope that you would help us solve some of our challanges. Most big name computer companies are represented here. If you want to spend a day in a particular one, we might be able to arrange that. "Might".

Besides, why NOT Washington D.C.?
Regardless of where and when, it will be too far for someone, too expensive for someone, wrong date for someone else. We just need to make something happen, and make something good come out of it. We should be better off with it than without it, or it's pointless. It's not "just" about the material presented, but also about the other things. We can read the material online, but we can't "meet" online.
And, some people won't say, do, show certain things online, but, in private, well, that's another matter...
You'll be surprised what you get in the hallways of those conferences, and I don't mean business cards.
By the way, did you "see" the laptops most of these guys have?
Oh, I forgot, how would you? You are online only...
  • Holmes.Sherlock likes this

#30 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

A wonderful post above, LeMOGO. It made me hit the "Like This" button.

And when your income is $2,000 per year (which happens in other countries very easilly), it's difficult for you to attend, irrespective of your smarts or contribution.

Let me come up with some facts & figures. It will be easier for all of us to analyze the feasibity.
Only yesterday I checked that an U.S. Tourist VISA costs around INR 8,000.
A round trip flight to Washington D.C. from my place requires the traveller to shell out around INR 65,000. (The cheapest of the available options considered).
I don't have any idea how much it requires to spend for transporation, food & accomodation (the basic needs) for, let's say three days. If I roughly take it to be $540 (so that it becomes easier for me to calculate).
$1 = ~INR 50
Therefore, $540 = INR 27,000

So, the cumulative cost is = INR (8,000 + 65,000 + 27,0000) = INR 1,00,000

An average IT engineer out of India earns ~INR 25,000. There might be variations, but believe me it is a country where majority gets less than the mentioned amount. Of course, there are examples where one gets twice or thrice the mentioned amount, but those cases are rare.

So, that very participant needs to spend his entire salary of 1,00,000/25,000 = 4 months.

Possible?

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Traveling opens the mind. Something to consider...

Sure. :thumbsup:

Traveling to the US changes your outlook of thing a bit.

Allow me to doubt any particular merit of traveling to the US when compared to other destinations. :rolleyes:

Just wondering: why did these doctors pay so much, fly in, when they could have watched it in the comfort of their own countries? (maybe networking is worth the trip?)

Are you really sure that that awful amount of money actually comes from their own pocket? :dubbio:
In any case doctors are a (usualy very well payed) category of professionals, I had gathered that Reboot.pro members are amateurs and this is a hobby for them.

You'll be surprised what you get in the hallways of those conferences, and I don't mean business cards.

What? :w00t:
Like (examples) free distribution of:
  • drugs
  • girls
  • benjamins
:whistling:

Wonko

#32 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

I always find the resoning behind money transfers interesting.

Pay 1 dollar or less to motivate people to write more and better script. - NO FREAKING WAY!
Give 2000 dollar to a stranger, so he can participate as well. - No problem, everyone is doing that all the time! :confused1:

@Holmes.Sherlock

I don't have any idea how much it requires to spend for transporation, food & accomodation (the basic needs) for, let's say three days. If I roughly take it to be $540

If 3 days would really cost 540 dollar for the bare minimum, most of us would not survive the 30 days till next payment. ;)

#33 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

If 3 days would really cost 540 dollar for the bare minimum, most of us would not survive the 30 days till next payment. ;)

MedEvil, must say that your reasoning is still in its infancy. :loleverybody: When you are staying at your own place, do you need to incur the cost of accomodation (i.e. hotel) or purchase hotel-foods? Don't know about yours, but in India it is way different to stay three days at your residence & the same period in a hotel outside your home town in terms of costs associated.

Jokes apart, what is the actual figure for an outsider?

#34 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm not familar with current rates, but Motels used to have rooms for 10-20 dollar per day. Hotels are more costly, especialy if you need 5 star accomodation in central location. ;)
I would consider something like 50$ per day reasonable, but still far from bare minimum.

#35 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'm not familar with current rates, but Motels used to have rooms for 10-20 dollar per day.

Here's the difference!! Even the cheapest one will cost INR 250 for a single day.

Hotels are more costly, especialy if you need 5 star accomodation in central location. ;)

The rate given above is of a zero-star accommodation. :)

I would consider something like 50$ per day reasonable, but still far from bare minimum.

So, what is the minimum?

#36 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Without current rates hard to say.
If you can get a room for 10$ per day, i would add another 10$ for food.
If you say, you're fine, with eating 3 days just self made sandwhiches, you should easily need less than 10$ for food a day.

But since this "conference" is suppose to be fun. I would add some overhead to the bare minimum.

On the plus side, entry to museums is free in Washington. Someone please correct me, if that's no longer the case.

#37 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

On another note, there is always room for smart people in "The Land Of The Free and The Home of The Brave" (US). ALWAYS. It's the bottom that's crowded. I would like to see how we can network with some of the other groups to give you opportunities you might not otherwise have, and hope that you would help us solve some of our challenges. Most big name computer companies are represented here. If you want to spend a day in a particular one, we might be able to arrange that. "Might".

Help us? We'll arrange? Can you be MORE specific about WHO are "us"? It reminds me "They... Who are they?" from Conspiracy Theory. :)

Posted Image

In general, I think you guys tend to lean too much towards costs discussion, while forgetting to figure out the CONTENT of possible talk and its required depth level & presenter qualifications and/or accomplishments. :dubbio:

#38 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

In general, I think you guys tend to lean too much towards costs discussion, while forgetting to figure out the CONTENT of possible talk .....

Because there is no point in assuming the fact such a meeting will actually be held in reality & even if it takes place, there will be a reasonable number of participation to make the event more eventful.

#39 thewizard0

thewizard0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

Great idea... but I wish I could attend!

#40 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Its always a good thing to challenge survivability of any idea in a positive view, while aiming for progress in general. But before even coming to that step it would be interesting to see the backgrounder behind the idea if any.

I'd like to find more about LeMOGO's vision regarding particular topics to discuss and list of things to accomplish during such a meeting? And of course its logistics details - when, where exactly, at what cost per person, proposed schedule, etc.?

#41 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

And of course its logistics details - when, where, at what cost per person, proposed schedule, etc.?

Should be the first point to discuss before even we set the agenda. How many of us will actually be interested if the meeting is attended by five/six people only?

#42 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

The reason of a conference is usually, to talk to people, one has no contact to.
And listen to presentations of new developments, one can't access any other way.

From what i understand, this conference will be attended by only us and we're talking about stuff, that's already presented online here.

I honestly see no reason for a conference. A nice friendly weekend together maybe.

#43 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Jokes apart, what is the actual figure for an outsider?

If you are looking for stars, you can start here for average cost (around $100): http://www.washingto...and_suburbs.htm
There are other ways of staying places. It depends on the people on the ground. I did make offers, and there are cheaper places than the above (no stars). Alternatively, people can get together and share rooms, or rent flats (appartments)...
There are many options, if you're willing!

Help us? We'll arrange? Can you be MORE specific about WHO are "us"? It reminds me "They... Who are they?" from Conspiracy Theory. :)

We the people!

In general, I think you guys tend to lean too much towards costs discussion, while forgetting to figure out the CONTENT of possible talk and its required depth level & presenter qualifications and/or accomplishments. :dubbio:

It was suggested that you present. Can you tell us the contents so we can start?

Because there is no point in assuming the fact such a meeting will actually be held in reality & even if it takes place, there will be a reasonable number of participation to make the event more eventful.

Well, there are meetings taking place all the time. As for this one, you might not attend, but those who want to need to state their desires and let's work out the logistics...
I know for sure something will happen. We're just getting a sense of what and how here. That's the discussion. Let's keep the focus on that and talk content, wishes, and needs. If we could be productive, we'll get some of the obstacles out of the way. Just like with any other venture, there will be obstacles. What we need to do is take a community look at finding solutions.
Do you have *any*?

I'd like to find more about LeMOGO's vision regarding particular topics to discuss and list of things to accomplish during such a meeting? And of course its logistics details - when, where exactly, at what cost per person, proposed schedule, etc.?

We're here because we do have the same interrests right? How about this: maybe we have the same problems?...

Vision: to see what's already happening in many groups happen with the REBOOT community. Sharing tools & ideas, networking on the ground, tourism, ...
Getting to know what others are doing and how, and of course, going out for a drink and building valuable and lasting realtionships.

I can give you tap water as a dring if we can't afford your favorite, but let's have a drink and network.

Should be the first point to discuss before even we set the agenda. How many of us will actually be interested if the meeting is attended by five/six people only?

The 5-6 people ...
How many people did it take to create Apple Computers?
This is about the dynamics of the non-web based interactions...
From the same community....

And don't forget, the option of online participation is still on the table!

We can't solve everyone's problem regardless of how willing we are, and how funded we are. Nay sayers have always existed, while things were being done...
I'd like to hear from people who want this to happen. Let's talk about what's needed, and let those who want, jump on their guns.

#44 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

The reason of a conference is usually, to talk to people, one has no contact to.
And listen to presentations of new developments, one can't access any other way.

People can't say everything online ...

From what i understand, this conference will be attended by only us and we're talking about stuff, that's already presented online here.

No we're not.

I honestly see no reason for a conference. A nice friendly weekend together maybe.

That IS part of it!
Why not?

#45 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

We the people!

I know for sure something will happen...

What's already happening in many groups happen with the REBOOT community..

What exactly will happen and when? :)

With what other groups do you envision to interact during such a meeting? :dubbio:

Also, one needs to understand, getting a US Visa may be out of reach in many countries in the world, even if you paid the fee for it and have a seemingly valid reason & closely relevant sponsor & qualifications & current related to the visit job.

#46 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

With what other groups do you envision to interact during such a meeting? :dubbio:

Maybe you should start stating what you would like to see happening...
so I can make the requests?

Also, one needs to understand, getting a US Visa may be out of reach in many countries in the world, even if you paid the fee for it and have a seemingly valid reason to visit the US. We're lucky in Samoa, but that might not be the case elsewhere.

All they need is the assurance that you are not going to add to the problem of people who come to stay without means and become a weight on the society.
They DO have those "H" visas, and still need good workers though! I know a place that has a good number of Indian coders, and at the time, they were still looking for people, were willing to pay for everything, and sponsor the visa. But, that is another matter...

Just make sure your plan is not to stay when you go there, at least not initially. Just so you know, any one who wants to migrate to the US should have a good set of skills, a hard shell, an open mind, and a willingness to work twice more than everybody else. And above all, be honnest: they will catch up with you! You can take advantage of a conference like this one to see what's possible, get a few contacts (or maybe contracts if you are a coder), go back, and work your way in. Just being here and using Google will get you different results than local searches because the results are localized, and certain things are not available from the outside (just so you know).

If you prove to them that you have responsibilities at home that you are not planning on forsaking, and are not planning on overstaying your welcome (like your employer's authorized leave), you should be able to make it. But be honnest.

#47 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

You've got to be kidding me! Is it really that bad today in the US?
I mean, i know that you started building a police state after your two favorite towers got crashed.
But that it is already that bad, i didn't knew.

Poor suckers. Count me out.

#48 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

You've got to be kidding me! Is it really that bad today in the US?

What is?

I mean, i know that you started building a police state after your two favorite towers got crashed.

No kidding!
I guess they should just sit and wait for the next ones to crash huh?

Poor suckers. Count me out.

Strange behaviour! :dubbio:

#49 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

We are digressing from the topic again. Let's discuss again about the following:
  • Where?
  • When?
  • How?

#50 LeMOGO

LeMOGO

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 240 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

We are digressing from the topic again.

Well, if only the nay sayers are vocal about the idea...
I don't really want to get into it anyhow.
Some of the concerns however are valid concerns that I was expecting. I'm sure that when we get more traction, it will become more obvious that we can cross those bridges.

Let's discuss again about the following:

• Where?
  • When?
  • How?

No one has suggested any other location so far.
I can say that the cost can be kept to a minimum by choosing DC. And you get "me" :hi: on the ground to put as many hours in the venture as necessary. I'll make sure you get what you need. I don't want to say too much too early, so let's talk about the content first.

Please let us know what would make this worth your while.

I would like to hear from the folks in the US also (the majority).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users