Win8 now included in multiPE project

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

Have a look here: http://reboot.pro/15...post__p__143940

Peter
  • Max_Real Qnx and pacodesign like this

#2 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

I will examine your project until the end of this week. Thank you for sharing. Best regards :hi:

#3 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Windows Security, Programming, Customizing & Crash Dump Analysis.
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Is the Windows 8 Included the Developers Preview or a more recent (secretive) leaked build only available to those MSDN subscribers or Microsoft MVP's?

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

Is the Windows 8 Included the Developers Preview or a more recent (secretive) leaked build only available to those MSDN subscribers or Microsoft MVP's?

The latest Developer Preview is used.

With the previous Preview there are issues extracting the WIMs.

Peter

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Please be more specific and say, which is the latest, that will work with your project.

:cheers:

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

When you download from the official URL , you get the latest.

Peter

#7 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hmm, they never seemed to have changed the link from when I first downloaded the 64 bit developer tools edition...

My SHA-1 hash matches that of the one they have on their site for my ISO I have on my computer (which was downloaded the day that the official release for Windows 8 Developer preview came out)

6FE9352FB59F6D0789AF35D1001BD4E4E81E42AF

I know they are definitely focusing on their more recent builds though, which are only leaked out to those msdn subscribers and mvp's.

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Maybe the "Old" version I mentioned is a corrupted download I made some weeks ago.
Both previews show the same version 6.2.8102.0 (winmain_win8m3.110823-1455).

I cannot build checksums, because I extracted the files from ISO and deleted the ISOs.
But in the 'Old' files they are many files with content of binary zeroes.

Peter

#9 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 228 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hmm, possibly, but keeping in mind I only tested my developer tools edition for Windows 8 64 bit. Although i'm not sure why they would change a 32 bit version of that preview without the 64. The hashes do match though, and I downloaded it within the first 5 hours that it was officially released on Microsoft's website

#10 crash

crash
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

very interesting project but I have problems with the mouse, I can not use any idea of the problem, after that work in virtualbox, greetings. :dubbio:

#11 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Is there a tutorial how to use Winbuilder for building WinPE from win8?

#12 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Could someone help me to build win8pe with Winbuilder. I want to use this new consumer preview as starting point. Where should i start?

Also, my university asked if WinBuilder is free for them to use. Can they use it for free?

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

The maintainer and developer of multiPE is still recovering from surgery.
He will surely reply, once he's back.

#14 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Thank you very much... Wish him well. But so many developers work on WinBuilder, someone should know, if its free to use at a University? Does it have any License? Also, is it lawfull to modify and do our own WinPE, is it OK with microsoft?

I was looking for an answer on the web. Found one post about WinBuilder:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WinBuilder supporting the WIC program

WinBuilder is helping the WIC (Women and Infant Children) program that is provided by the Texas Department of State Health Services. Besides providing past and future versions of our software royalty free for their use, we are also committed to help them with active support their technical projects where our knowledge can be applied.

I'm really happy to see our software helping others in such a positive manner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So from this post it looks like WinBuilder has a limited license, if it has to be donated royalty free. Which means, usually royalty is charged for it. So, I wonder who should our Univer contact to ask for licensing? Are there any criteria posted, who can get a free license? For example, Texas WIC is a govement agency in the reachest US State. If they were given free license for some reason, own University in Chad is one of the poorest countries in the world, so we should get it too, and all others in poor world.

Also, if we help developing WinBuilder, are're going to get any royalties too? Where the Rules are posted, how royalty is shared among current WinBuilder developers?

Edited by Fabercut, 04 March 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

pscEx is the developer of the multiPE project and also the developer of Winbuilder.
Rights owner of Winbuilder is Nuno Brito. To contact him, check his profile.

And just because it got mixed up before by people.
Winbuilder is only the scripting engine. The packs of scripts, that allow you to create a PE, are called a project. Both can be from the same person, but don't have to.

#16 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Also, if we help developing WinBuilder, are're going to get any royalties too? Where the Rules are posted, how royalty is shared among current WinBuilder developers?

Winbuilder is closed source, you probably can't help developing it in any other way, but reporting bugs.
As far as developing own projects for profit goes, please ask Nuno.
Projects offered at reboot.pro are free to use.

#17 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thank you very much MedEvil. I assume you are one of WinBuilder developers. WinBulder is free to use for private use only, or for other... educational or charity use? If it was donated by Nuno Brito to a Texas Goverment Agency, this means roaylties are usually charged? So, developers get portion of these roaylties as youself? Our university needs extra cash, if we can help.

We will ask Nuno Brito, I'll tell the IT Manager.

Should we officially ask permission from microsoft to submit such scripts that help modify or customized WinPE? Probaly their Legal Department would be the right one, or simply ask the President's office?

Edited by Fabercut, 04 March 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#18 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I'm not a developer of Winbuilder and don't recieve any royalties.

I'm a script developer and project maintainer.
All projects and scripts made available here, at reboot.pro, are free for any use.

There is no need to ask M$, as long as you don't plan on redistributing M$ files.
Also WinPE is a M$ product, which is in no affiliated with Winbuilder projects or vice versa.

#19 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thank you MedEvil. My only concern is microsoft can jump on our university, if we help develop the tool for modifiyng WinPE, because I heard they don't allow to modify it. So if we get their permision, it should be good to go. Our IT Manager will decide.

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Tis tool (Winbuilder) DOES NOT MODIFY A WINPE!!!
We have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with WinPE!!!

We create PE, similar to WinPE, from existing Windows installation disks.

Once you created a PE with Winbuilder and one of our projects, it's up to you and you alone to not violate the M$ EULA or laws of your country, by its use.

#21 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hello MedEvil,

I asked our IT Manager, and he said we can't take part here, as creating PE "similar to WinPE" from Microsoft sources is illegal. Especially with many applications, the purpose is to replace registered Windows use with free PE. He also read this forum, and told it now caters to Windows hackers even more with new Hiren's Boot CD section. So we are out of this project.

Edited by Fabercut, 16 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

I asked our IT Manager, and he said we can't take part here, as creating PE "similar to WinPE" from Microsoft sources is illegal.

That's an opinion (wrong BTW).
This kind of nonsense has been around since the times of BartPE.
Again, Winbuilder is just a builder, nothing but something that helps the user to "put together" bits and pieces.
More technically Winbuilder is a command processor for a scripting language, nothing much different from CMD.EXE or AutoIt or vbs...
Anything that Winbuilder does can be re-done manually (though it will take LOTS of time).
Of course if you do not have a proper License for the "bits and pieces" and/or use the result of the building process in any way that breaches the License of the "bits and pieces", then you are committing something illegal.
As well, as the project contains anything that is illegal, but Winbuilder has NOTHING to do with this.

He also read this forum, and told it now caters to Windows hackers even more with new Hiren's Boot CD section.

Here he has a good point, though I don't see how the contents of the Forum can affect the legal status of Winbuilder or of any build made through it.
The "even more" is - to say the least - gratuitious, as well as conveying the idea that "hackers" or "windows hackers" are outright "bad guys" or somehow "outlaws" by definition.

So we are out of this project.

No problem, we do have lots of handkerchiefs to dry the numberless tears that these news will provoke among members.

For the record, to call oneself "out of something" it is necessary BEFORE to be "in it".

Wonko
  • pscEx likes this

#23 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hello MedEvil,

I asked our IT Manager, and he said we can't take part here, as creating PE "similar to WinPE" from Microsoft sources is illegal.

It's not illegal to make a PE. Its illegal to make one and share it to everyone or try to charge money for it. You do have to have a license for Windows XP, WindowVista, Windows7, Windows8. Depends on the project you want to make. So if you want 1-5 people to use the PE, you would need 1-5 license copies of Windows.

Especially with many applications, the purpose is to replace registered Windows use with free PE.

You have choice to include the applications which are mostly freeware and if retail, you need to have you're own files to include in the project.
You also have the option to just use the Windows ISO source as the building block. You just have to disable the inclusion of any third party apps.

He also read this forum, and told it now caters to Windows hackers even more with new Hiren's Boot CD section. So we are out of this project.

We dont cater to hackers, more like enthusiast on certain projects. Youre goal and focus project has nothing to do with Hiren's Boot CD. Unless your admin has been using it.

Ask Microsoft if its ok to use a Windows PE based on a Windows flavor that it is licensed. Then make the decision. With windows 8 we are going to have a PE like ability to have Windows 8 on the GO. So you can try using that with a license when its officially out. Good luck on you're ventures.

A word for BartPE author. Same goes with Winbuilder PE projects.

In order to make a BartPE installation, your must have a properly licensed copy of the operating system. BartPE does not grant users who do not have a proper Windows XP/2003 license the right to use a BartPE installation.

Also, according to the Microsoft EULA for Windows XP/2003, a user may not simultaneously use more installations of these operating systems than the user has license(s) for. This also goes for BartPE. In practice this means that the user may not use, for instance, a single license installation on one computer while simultaneously using a BartPE installation (created using that license) on another computer.

#24 Fabercut

Fabercut
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

It's not illegal to make a PE. Its illegal to make one and share it to everyone or try to charge money for it.

Ask Microsoft if its ok to use a Windows PE based on a Windows flavor that it is licensed. Then make the decision.

Thank you TheHive for your kind words and suggestions. We will follow your advice and ask Microsoft opinion on our participation in WinBuilder project, just to be on the safe side. :confused1:

#25 soft5mag

soft5mag
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Please help, how Winbuilder better than standard M$ process (http://technet.micro...5(v=WS.10).aspx) to build Win8PE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users