47 replies to this topic

#1 TXC

TXC
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

There seems to be some posts in the "Internal Beta" section for 6months now and the last activity on Trello was 30 Sept 2013.

What is the status? Will we get any new features soon?

#2 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

Just posted a new status update on Trello. In summary, between the holidays and a family member being hospitalized, I have been spending more time with my family and less time working on isostick.

I am back to working on isostick full time and knocking out lots of long-overdue maintenance on the code as previously planned.

I'll try to post updates more frequently, and with more detail.

The new features are definitely still going to be released once this maintenance is done. As to when that will be, at this time I'm not sure.

Thank you all for your patience.

#3 greggorievich

greggorievich
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:20 AM

Glad to hear you still exist! :)

Just posted a new status update on Trello. In summary, between the holidays and a family member being hospitalized, I have been spending more time with my family and less time working on isostick.

I am back to working on isostick full time and knocking out lots of long-overdue maintenance on the code as previously planned.

I'll try to post updates more frequently, and with more detail.

The new features are definitely still going to be released once this maintenance is done. As to when that will be, at this time I'm not sure.

Thank you all for your patience.

#4 scottjl

scottjl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Is the ISOStick still supported/updated? It's been a long time since I've seen any new posts, I'm having issues (it won't boot on my MSI Z87-G45 mobo).

#5 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

Support is still provided. Development has been stalled many times but is ongoing.

Regarding the MSI Z87-G45 boot issue, is there an error or does it skip over the isostick, etc?

Please be sure you have a bootable ISO loaded in isostick's cdrom drive (this is required even for the isosel boot menu, at this time). Failing that, it could be a UEFI issue: try disabling isosel by renaming isosel.bin to something else, such as isosel-disabled.bin, then try booting again.

#6 scottjl

scottjl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the update on the status.

Yes, it just seems to skip over it. I do have bootable ISO images, they boot on my other systems just fine. This Z87 does have UEFI, I'll try your rename trick, thanks. Is this a general incompatibility with UEFI?

#7 TXC

TXC
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

A general UEFI problem i doesn't think since i have booted up 3 different system that has UEFI, lately a Intel H81 board

But they didn't boot isosel though

Edited by TXC, 23 August 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#8 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

It depends on the UEFI implementation. Some will skip over isosel entirely, others will let you use isosel (usually by choosing a "Legacy Boot" option, as opposed to "UEFI Boot", when choosing the isostick cdrom).

Though it is slow going, you can keep up with development on Trello: https://trello.com/b/FBQfKqk3

#9 GoldenRatioTech

GoldenRatioTech
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

Maybe some of the internal beta or even alpha testing could be moved to a private testing by a few individuals who would love to help get things moving along faster.  I know how hard it is to do business and deal with personal life so it is a good idea to seek help where you can to move things forward.  I bought an ISOStick because I believe the idea is great... however, for me, it needs quite a bit more development before it is something I can use all the time (which was the reason I bought it, to use all the time)... let us suggest some ideas, you code them, and a few of us can test em... I bet more can be done in less time this way... I am willing to help as much as I can...

#10 honeychook

honeychook
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

This would be a good idea, in my option. I use ISO stick almost daily for my work and it is my go to device. I almost never use disks anymore. Main issue I have would be with UEFI bios. But most of the time if I mount a image using the software, the computer will boot off it. Looking forward to see what new tricks it can do. One thing I would like to suggest is being able to recognize folders in the bootable ISO selector. I.E all windows ISO's together in one, linex in another ect.

#11 jflatz

jflatz
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

Any updates? Haven't seen anything from Eric (elegantinvention) since August. I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel really pessimistic about seeing any real updates.

#12 GoldenRatioTech

GoldenRatioTech
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

I'm sure some of us could help with the process if he (Eric) let us.  The device is awesome but needs continuous upkeep and updates to keep it relevant and useful for our purposes.  UEFI BIOS is in all new systems these days and so that needs to be a priority.  Beyond that, suggested improvements and changes could be alpha and beta tested by a few of us to get the process moving forward more quickly.  

#13 jflatz

jflatz
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:58 AM

Eric (elegantinvention),

It has now been over two years since either the Firmware Updater or the ISO Manager have been updated, a year and nine months since a firmware release and almost four months since hearing from you. Are you done with this project / product?

Edited by jflatz, 05 December 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#14 scottjl

scottjl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:38 AM

Would be nice, if nothing else, if it was at least open sourced so that some interested folk could pick up where it's been left off.

#15 venerence

venerence

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:55 AM

I'm sure some of us could help with the process if he (Eric) let us.  The device is awesome but needs continuous upkeep and updates to keep it relevant and useful for our purposes.  UEFI BIOS is in all new systems these days and so that needs to be a priority.  Beyond that, suggested improvements and changes could be alpha and beta tested by a few of us to get the process moving forward more quickly.  

I should mention that isostick does work fine on UEFI systems *if* you don't install isosel. You can still change the ISO it boots by manually editing the text file in config. It's a bit less convenient, but it does work, and is a solution if you aren't constantly changing the ISO on it.

I personally have used my ISOstick as both a bootable USB flash drive and cd rom drive. The cd rom drive includes stuff that I'd like direct booting from (windows uefi installer for example), and the flash drive side is an all-in-one bootable flash drive. best of both worlds.

#16 scottjl

scottjl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Just curious, is development still ongoing or finally dead and buried?

#17 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Was stalled for some time, but development is still ongoing.

Immediate goals are (as shown on Trello) fixing build-blocking issues after all the refactoring, and implementing unit tests. After that I will focus on adding a few long-awaited features.

Once the firmware is tested and stable, I will release the update and begin updating the software side of things. ISO Manager is really lacking in the UX department, and I'd like to just have a single app for managing the isostick, including firmware updates, rather than having a separate updater. That way the whole thing can just be one portable app you can keep on the stick.

• scottjl likes this

#18 scottjl

scottjl
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the update!

#19 jflatz

jflatz
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

How are things coming elegantinvention? I feel like things have been radio silent for the past 3 weeks...

#20 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for reminding me, it's too easy to get lost in the code and forget to announce progress!

Still going well. I'm not sure if I had mentioned it before, but part of the reason it is taking so long is: to facilitate code reuse, I split off a lot of the core functionality I wrote for isostick (events, a hardware abstraction layer, various drivers, etc) into a library. This way it can be used in other products, including future versions of isostick using different microcontrollers, with less duplicated effort.

Many of the build-blocking issues are resolved. I am currently tidying up the event loop code, which was a real mess. Also the original interrupt controller drivers were not portable, almost done with that. Then the filesystem API needs some attention, and I need to add a couple simple functions to the block device layer...

#21 jflatz

jflatz
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Cool thanks for the update! Could you please set a weekly or bi-weekly calendar reminder to post a short "Hey, I'm alive and this is what is up."?

#22 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:10 AM

Sure thing!

#23 jflatz

jflatz
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Cool thanks! I'm sure everyone will appriciate that!

#24 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

The past week I was busy with manufacturing stuff. I plan on getting back to the code this week but I'm doing a trial run with a new manufacturer so depending on how things go my time may be spent there. I'll report back next week with progress.

#25 elegantinvention

elegantinvention

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 310 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

Late update: looks like manufacturing / inventory issues are largely taken care of now. Getting back into the code once again!  :good:

• TheHive likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users