#1 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

Let's consider this a transitional breakthrough in Windows System Deployment. I see no better, do u?

• Brito likes this

#2 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

Which WIMBoot are you referring to? iPXE wimboot (here). Windows Image File Boot (see here)? Something else.

:cheers:

Misty

#3 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:38 PM

none of these - something more "human": wimb's wimramboot

#4 alacran

alacran

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 2710 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

Which WIMBoot are you referring to? iPXE wimboot (here). Windows Image File Boot (see here)? Something else.

Misty

Helo my friend, I think he is talking about Windows Image File Boot (WimBoot) applied to VHDs, see this topics:

http://reboot.pro/to...-for-os-in-vhd/

And more detailed info here:

http://reboot.pro/to...-on-512-mb-vhd/

http://reboot.pro/to...-faster-on-ram/

I have a full install (including programs) on a 10x64-WB.vhd.lz4 file of 130 MB (and its respective 10x64-WB.wim source file), that LZ4 compressed VHD can be loaded on Ram from internal or external (USB) Mass Storage devices in less than 4 seconds, or 14 seconds from a High Speed MicroSD connected by USB, taking 1.5 GB once loaded on RAM and still having about 1 GB free space, Rambootable on PCs with a minimum of 4 GB of Ram.

Of course this could be ran from a server too.

And this approach can also be applied to Win8.x and Win7 Wimboot VHDs too.

alacran

• misty likes this

#5 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:14 AM

Of course I am grateful to alacrán and all the top-brass crew, to whose efforts I contributed with my tests and my funnily untechnical way of communicating the results of them. I am regularly running wimb's combo, which can be baked to the most automated menu.lst commands on vhd_wimboot. I consider wimb's version the most user-friendly, so much so that rebaking and re-re-baking vhd+wim are even fun. u can never stop improving the combo, which lends itself particularly well to those vhd's that get changed and modified on a daily basis, which is my case, as I love experimenting with new software.

#6 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:33 PM

Helo my friend, I think he is talking about Windows Image File Boot (WimBoot) applied to VHDs, see this topics:....

Thanks for the explanation alacran. Looks interesting. Now if only I had more time to actually experiment with it.

Misty

#7 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

my dear folx, particularly the info-tech top brass here, sorry for bothering you for quite some time in the past. I realized my mobo settings were not optimized, which is most probably the reason for the long booting times I had. Now that I have managed to bring booting time from 24secs down to 17secs, I remember asking u insistently what the matter was with my comp. Another reason could be that while still using wimb's procedure, I have now switched to fixed vhd which I later compressed the alacrán way (lz4). could this also be the reason for the shorter booting time?

nino

ps.: btw, no more bulging to red in the 2gb fixed vhd now.

#8 antonino61

antonino61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1525 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

one more piece of advice, considering the portable rush that the wimboot era entails: if you know a program works across next windows installs without wanting installing (practically acting as a portable), u can install later versions of it straight on the lz4 while the system is ramloaded (as a ramdisk); since next reboot, it will work fine as if it had been a portable version.

nino

the rationale here is do not install what does not want installing in order to work; just install what would not work properly without installing; that is the only way u can keep the integrity and simplicity of ur registry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users