Photo
- - - - -

Create Linux based NT6 style WIM installer script with Wine????

wine linux win7 nt6 fast installer usb waik debian ubuntu imagex variables

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lester Yurrah

Lester Yurrah
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have a bit of a problem.  I have an Acer Netbook with Ubuntu installed. I have a Win 7 iso I have imaged to a USB drive. (My USB drive has 4 partitions)  I want to install win 7 from the USB TO the other partition on the usb without destroying my internal linux setup.

I know win7 doesnt like installing to USB (tried and failed)

I tried WAIK running through Wine (failed)

I tried NT6 fast installer and failed, but then started playing with the installer.cmd and it still failed.

My problems are (how do I assign a drive letter to a NTFS drive within Linux)  AND

I am having pathway problems, winecfg is not doing it for the NT6 installer. 

I am considering, can I rewrite the installer.cmd  to a linux script that uses wine and passes pathway variables and calls to the imagex, bootsect.exe?  (If only I could Im not that smart LOL)

#2 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Is the USB drive a stick or a hard disk? That's quite important.

• Brito likes this

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Well we (Ilko and myself) had a 50% probability on replying on the right thread (since there are two of them).

Obviously Murphy's Law applied and each of us replied to the "other" one :frusty:

@Lester Yurrah

Please choose one of the two, and ignore the other.

In order to improve the reputation of my crystall ball ;) I would prefer to continue on the "other" thread here:
http://reboot.pro/to...ript-with-wine/

But it's the same :).

:cheers:

Wonko

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

I "deleted" the other thread (made it invisible). Can be recreated by admins.

Peter

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I "deleted" the other thread (made it invisible). Can be recreated by admins.

Peter

Thus voiding the reply I posted there. :w00t:

Very good. :frusty:

You could look up on your Board Admin manual at the "M" for "merge threads"  :whistling:

:cheers:

Wonko

• Brito likes this

#6 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I have a Win 7 iso I have imaged to a USB drive. (My USB drive has 4 partitions)

That doesn't make sense to me.  If you images an .ISO to a USB storage device, there would be no partition table unless the .ISO happened to have something that looked like one.  Did you mean that you copied an .ISO file to a filesystem on one of the partitions of your USB storage device?  Do you mean that you imaged the .ISO directly to one of the partitions?

I want to install win 7 from the USB TO the other partition on the usb without destroying my internal linux setup.

That has some problems...

If you've booted the Windows 7 from a USB storage device, if the storage device is suddenly and unexpectedly removed, Windows will crash.  Because USB cables are easily yanked/jostled by accident, this is more likely to happen than if Windows was booted from an internal storage device.

If you're using USB flash storage as opposed to a USB-connected hard disk drive, then the flash has a good chance of being worn out by the nature of swap-file paging.  The I/O speed of the flash storage will also affect the performance of paging.  And Windows will only use the first partition on flash storage by default, unless you install a filter driver like diskmod.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wine, linux, win7, nt6 fast installer, usb, waik, debian, ubuntu, imagex, variables

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users